You Know Where to Find Me

You Know Where to Find Me

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,303 ratings  ·  202 reviews
Miles has spent her whole life in the shadow of her cousin Laura. Laura is the golden one—smart, gorgeous, rich, and popular—while Miles considers herself the unwanted one—an unattractive, underachieving social outcast. As far as Miles is concerned, Laura has the perfect life…until Laura commits suicide, leaving Miles lost the wake o...more
Published January 25th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about You Know Where to Find Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Know Where to Find Me

laaaaames
OH MY GOD A FAT GIRL BOOK WHERE SHE IS NOT SKINNY AT THE END HALLE-FREAKING-LULLAH.

Rachel Cohn sort of irritates me as a writer without David Levithan to even her out. I don't know if it's genuinely her style or that she's really into Francesca Lia Block or something, but, man, Rachel, sometimes all the froufy language and switches in tenses and made-up stories just sort of irritate me.

In the plus column, I really loved the character of Jim. Of course in my head he was played by Tim Gunn.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Dianna Geers for TeensReadToo.com

Laura and Miles grew up together. They were cousins who lived so close that Miles could sneak out of her room on scary, stormy nights and escape to the safety of Laura's bed. They spent hours in their tree house and hiding out in their favorite bookstore. As little girls became adolescents, though, being related and living near each other didn't guarantee closeness.

Miles liked to eat and drink. And smoke. Her body put on weight, her poorly-dyed hair...more
J.D.
Some nice writing, and I wanted to like it a lot more than I did, but:

1. When you have a character this angry and bitter, it's a real challenge to make the reader like them or even care much. Unfortunately, this book doesn't rise to the challenge.

2. I finally gave up after about the fifth lecture about DC Home Rule. Okay. I get it. I know this is an issue that the character cares a lot about, but it just gets preachy. see (1) above.
Christina Wilder
More like 2.5 stars, but I'm rounding down as this didn't affect me as much as I would have liked.

Suicide is a tricky subject. Mental health in general is rarely - if ever - depicted correctly in fiction, and depression is no exception. While I liked how this book showcased the aftermath of suicide (survivor guilt/anger, warning signs seen in hindsight, etc.), this story became burdened by Miles.

I read in another review that if a character is too bitter all the time, it's hard for the reader to...more
super captain man
This is honestly one of the first books I've had this year that I had difficulty finishing. I didsliked this book for a few different reasons:

1. The plot for this book was really weak. A girl's cousin dies and the girl continues her life before the death, except sometimes she seems kind of sad about her cousin.

2. The writing style. It was really weird the way some things were said.

3. MILES. I really, really disliked Miles. All she did was complain. Her best friend (cousin. Sister. Laura) dies an...more
Steph (Reviewer X)
Cross-posted from my blog review: http://reviewerx.blogspot.com/2008/12...

Uh... Okay, how do I put this? No idea.

How do I reenact this? Well, first we get an emoticon: o_O. Steam blowing from the side to indicate mental exertion? Optional. Whatever you call that sound you make when you’re blowing spit bubbles, playing in the background? MANDATORY.

(Shakespeare would’ve been proud.)

In the interest of brevity—I don’t want to spend more time thinking about this one than I have to—I’ll summarize the...more
Rebecca
You Know Where To Find Me was an interesting book. It was interesting enough to keep me reading it but it didn't completely engross me. It's a hard book to talk about because I'm not entirely sure about it.
Sure, it was quite interesting, from the start I was wanting to know where it was going. But as I got further and further into it, it just became really predictable and kind of cliché.
The characters didn't really capture me emotionally either. I felt that when the mood was supposed to be sad a...more
Haley

Laura and Miles used to be cousins and best friends. They grew up in the paradise of their tree house, enacting fairy tales. You don’t know differences when you’re younger. So Laura was a blonde, blue-eyed perfect princess and Miles was a plump girl who started reading at the age of four and never stopped. So what? That didn’t stop them from doing Brownies, Girl Scouts, summer camp, swimming and dancing lessons together.

Adolescence caused them to grow apart, because soon these differences do mat...more
Trisha
page 34 - "she did not kill herself as a means of escaping something. She simply chose not to live. There's a difference."

It's weird...but I found a book about suicide boring.

No, boring isn't the right word. I think I just didn't connect with any of the characters. The conversations were strange for me because they seemed...forced? had confusing slang/lingo? never seemed to be about what they were actually saying but I could never actually squeeze out the real meaning either...

and, honestly, Mil...more
Hayden
This book is getting on my nerves. I'm about 40 pages in, and I'll give it 50, but unless it seriously picks up I'm going to chuck it. It keeps vacillating between omniscient past tense (the words "Once upon a time" are used repeatedly) and first person present tense. I get the feeling Rachel Cohn thinks she's being Very Extremely Literary, but in fact it just sucks.

Alicia Scully
Miles and Laura grew up more like sisters than the cousins they really are and they were inseparable until about high school age. Miles feels like Laura is far too perfect with her thin frame, happy (outward) demeanor, and popularity while Miles is a self-proclaimed chubby girl who is both goth and unfriendly. When Laura suddenly kills herself, Miles is hurt and confused by Laura not inviting her along for the ride. She must also deal with her drug addictions and her beliefs that no one truly ca...more
This book has amazing characters, Miles and Laura are like sisters but they really are cousins. Miles was left with her uncle which is Laura's dad he natures Miles while her father gets better and her mother comes back. While living most of her life with Laura they become very close. Laura is a very beautiful smart popular girl and Miles looks at herself as unattractive and unpopular. For some reason Laura decide she doesn't want to stick around anymore and Miles goes on with her life full of lo...more
Barbara
Laura and Miles were cousins but they might have been sisters, they were so close. They grew up together and shared everything--talks in the tree house, cigarettes, snacks, prescription drugs--until Laura kills herself, that is. Miles was left to deal with the emotional detritus left behind after Laura’s death. Miles can not understand why Laura did it when she had everything, beauty, popularity, a loving, rich father, a great boyfriend, where Miles was overweight, preferred her books to people,...more
Suad Shamma
I enjoyed reading this book, and it did make for a fast-paced read, but I can't say it was fully developed or great.

If I were to compare the character development, plot and storyline of this novel to other Rachel Cohn novels, then I would say she fell short writing this one. But if I were to compare the themes depicted in this novel to her other novels, then I'd have to say there were some very interesting, profound and serious themes that needed to be accentuated or even played up.

Miles is not...more
Olivia705

PROCESS NOTES!!

BOOK: You Know Where to Find Me
Author: Rachel Cohn

Post its!
• Page 7, I don’t get Miles. She could be a straight A student, I don’t care! She is stupid in the head! The teachers say she is born with the power to write, and read but yet se chooses not to. Why would she want to do that?!
• Page 7, OMG! She sounds like the smartest student ever, why won’t she just try?
• Page 9, when she brings up once a time, I feel like she is saying the things she wants to happen or the things that...more
Becky
You can almost always find our heroine, Miles, popping pills, getting high, or smoking. She's a drug addict who is content--or content enough at least--living a very wasted life. She plans on dropping out of high school once she turns eighteen. Even the suicide of her cousin, Laura, (drug overdose) fails to get through to her. Life is meaningless, right? It doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. Miles is overweight, unhappy, and seeking release through drugs. She doesn't necessarily want to die...more
Heidi
I didn't like this book but I had my reasons. It's so boring, I didn't even finish it. Here are a couple of my reasons (besides the fact that I usually only ever write reviews for extremely horrible or extremely amazing books. There is no in between. And sadly, this book is the later.):

1.) I really tried to understand Miles. Really I did. But when a character is this negative it's hard to like her or the book. She's so full of pessimism it's hard to swallow.

2.) D.C., D.C, D.C it's like that's al...more
M
"If she could only tell him the sum total of all she loves in him, he'd know she wasn't some ignorant kid who couldn't possibly understand or could experience love; he'd see that she knows it and she hurts for it." - You Know Where to Find Me, Rachel Cohn

When perfect cousin Laura commits suicide, Miles must find a way to understand and cope with the grief and turmoil that's left behind.

I really liked the whole message and point of this book. However, I gave it three stars because I often found i...more
Jasmine Diaz
This book is about a girl named 8 mile and her cuzin named laura 8 miles cuzin killed herself laura was the preety skinny girl and 8 mile was the chubby girl that nobody wanted to hang with besides one person named Jamal. He and his sister was her only friend. 8 Mile had a problem with rules she didnt care to much for them or the government. She read all the time that was her escape from reality and dealing with the death of her best frind/cuzin.
8 mile became addicted to drugs and ended up odin...more
Jaci
Mar 21, 2010 Jaci rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: noone
Shelves: boring
I've had this book for a while and just never got around to reading it. As soon as I began this book I had no interest but decided to give it a chance. The entire time reading it, I found myself having to re-read pages because I dozed off. I didn't care about the character and thought it was so boring. The idea sounded good but I just didn't like it. It was a really quick read and it seemed like it was over before I knew it, but not because I liked it. I just wish I hadn't of spent 10 bucks on i...more
Izzy
I have loved Cohn's books in the past, so I was really excited to read this when I came across it. However, in the end I couldn't even be bothered to finish it.

As it's been stated before, the character's just weren't properly fleshed out, and the main character (Miles) was not an enjoyable protagonist. That being said, I'd just like to say, I think Miles COULD have been a good protagonist but... she was so bitter, and her insecurities were circled back to again and again and again, as if the re...more
Alicia
A disappointment for Cohn fans. She has her characteristic witty females, but in this story, the characters lack plausibility and depth. Miles goes into depression after her beautiful cousin kills herself. The true mystery becomes what Miles' true relationship is with Laura.

"Help me out here, kid? Don't you have anyting to say to your old man?"
I repeat back to him an AA adage from a poster I saw on the wall there: "Don't speak unless you can improve upon silence."
Lea
I usually don't write reviews on books, but this one needed one. This book was AWFUL. I should have known I wasn't going to like it because I tried to read a book from this author once before and it bored me to death. This book felt like there wasn't much a point to it except that the sister/cousin girl over dosed and died. There was absolutely no climax or turning point in this book... my suggestion is to not waste your time.
Nicola
I don't really have much to say about this book as I never really got into it properly! I finished it but didn't really enjoy it. I thought the writing was all over the place- the tense changing just annoying me too much and did not work as smoothly as it could have. I thought I would like this book but it really disappointed me. Just nothing exciting or unusual and definitely not memorable.
Akilah
Wow, so I really hated this book. Besides nothing happening, the narrator is fat. No, really. She's FAT and she loves to eat but she hates herself because she's FAT and no one will ever love her because she's FAT and FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT.

Her real problem is that she's BORING because she's so obsessed with being FAT.
L. G. Schmidt
Dec 14, 2012 L. G. Schmidt rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to L. G. by: Amazon
Oh my Lord this book was terrible. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. First of all, it was far too political, and second of all, I felt absolutely zero sympathy for the awful protagonist.
Olivia
I started reading this today only to realize I'd already read it. Somehow it missed being added to my "read" list here on Goodreads. It was apparent to me that 1.) I'd already read it and 2.) I didn't like it the first time around.

Miles is such a disagreeable character in every aspect. She's cranky, addicted to drugs, & just a low-lifer that I couldn't connect with at all. I probably would've liked Laura had she not offed herself at the beginning of the story.

I know this isn't supposed to...more
1alyssak
Laura and Miles were cousins, but grew up as sisters. Everything ruins that when Laura kills herself. Even though Miles doesn’t seem have a problem with it because she understands, it seems as if she has lost her best friend.
Miles is a fat girl and she uses it to her advantage. After Laura’s gone she still has Jamal, her only guy friend, but he’s going to college. It seems like everyone is going on with their lives, while Miles is stuck in a fat girl’s body going nowhere in life. Getting high...more
Ellie
The world of goth chick Miles and graceful beauty Laura, cousins who identify more as sisters, is a preppy, urban, funkadelic paradise... and then something gets twisted. The girls' new life of politics and pills is a hard one to take, and at eighteen, Laura gives up, leaving it and Miles behind.
Though Miles clearly misses Laura in a way no amount of Oxy, percs or weed can cure, it takes her almost the entire book to figure this out. Though she seeks comfort in affable friend Jamal, Miles conti...more
Heidi
Miles and Laura were cousins and at some times, best friends (those times being mainly when they got high together). After Laura's suicide, Miles loses herself in cigarettes, pills, and food. Her other best friend, Jamal, doesn't seem to be there for her when she needs him, Laura's best friend, Bex, suddenly wants to hang out with Miles, and Miles' long-absent father appears on the scene and actually seems to want a place in her life. The downward spiral that is Miles' life continues as Jamal an...more
  • The Death of Jayson Porter
  • A Little Friendly Advice
  • The Alison Rules
  • I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
  • How to Steal a Car
Rachel grew up in the D.C. area and graduated from Barnard College with a B.A. in Political Science. She has written many YA novels, including three that she cowrote with her friend and colleague David Levithan. She lives and writes (when she's not reading other people's books, organizing her music library or looking for the best cappuccino) in New York City.
More about Rachel Cohn...
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist Dash & Lily's Book of Dares Gingerbread (Cyd Charisse, #1) Beta (Annex, #1) Shrimp (Cyd Charisse, #2)

“Bruises mapped my body from bumping into tables and tripping over curbs while walking with a book in my hand, my eyes focused on the pages instead of the live space around me.” 45 likes
“It's not the loving that hurts this girl; it's the understanding of it for what it is, that it will never be returned in the same way, that threatens to destroy her. But to unload the words - "I love you" - on an innocent party who didn't ask for it, to reach across the dark space and touch him - it's like the world she knows could end if she dared speak these words, dared make such a move.” 26 likes