Start by marking “Child of the Silent Night: The Story of Laura Bridgman” as Want to Read:
Child of the Silent Night: The Story of Laura Bridgman

Child of the Silent Night: The Story of Laura Bridgman

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The story of Laura Bridgman, the first deaf and blind child to be taught to communicate with the outside world, some fifty years before Helen Keller.
Published September 9th 1963 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Child of the Silent Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of the Silent Night

Lin Lin
I came across this book recently and learned that before Helen Keller, Laura Bridgman was the first woman who was deaf, blind, and mute but was educated at the Perkins Institute, where Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan spent many of their years. Her life would be so different without her friend, Ada Tenney, Dr. Howe, and teachers at the school she attended. Children like Laura and Helen could be educated despite their severe disabilities. How can teachers and parents help children with all kinds of ...more
Jen Blackham
Rating is probably sentimental ... I distinctly remember reading (and re-reading) this book throughout my elementary school years. The writing was very easy to read for me at that age, but also very compelling. I couldn't (can't) imagine life without the being able to see or hear. There were simple black and white illustrations throughout the book that helped visualize the story and make it even more real ... it IS a real accounting!

... I remember my school library had a copy of the book that I
Jeniann
I had never heard of Laura Bridgman before, but she was the first person that we know of that was both deaf and mute and learned to read and communicate. Helen Keller's mother read about her in a book and decided to get her an education. This is actually quite a simple and short picture telling her story. I found it very interesting, but I am a huge fan of Helen Keller, so I am probably biased that way.
Rachel
I remember reading this in the 5th grade and really loving it. I used to hate reading as a kid, but I remember really loving this one. It was probably one of the few books I ever actually finished for school. I'm in college now and I still remember how good this book was, and I still tell people about it. Maybe sometime I will read it again since it has been so long.
Tracey P
Another one of my favorite books from my childhood. My mom had this book special ordered for me when I read part of it at school and fell in love with the book. My local library, which we regularly frequented, did not have it available. I still have the book.
Lisa
I was really moved by reading about this girl from her perspective - imagining what she might feel being without sight or sound. All the more so knowing its a true story. Ruth and Rex enjoyed it, too.
Amanda Kay
Almost a must read. Everyone has heard of Helen Keller, but what about Laura Bridgman... Ha, I sure did read brainy books as a young teen!
Jenna
its rely good youll like it Jenna
Shawn
Mar 21, 2007 Shawn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Another book I am sure I read in my pre-teen years...
Cws
JAR5-Hun
Aurora
Aurora added it
Apr 09, 2015
Cory Cornwell
Cory Cornwell marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Saya
Saya marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Dawn Bertocki
Dawn Bertocki marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jenny Miller
Jenny Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Caiden
Caiden marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Mahasen Najem
Mahasen Najem marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Marvel Da silva
Marvel Da silva marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014