Start by marking “The Children Of Cherry-Tree Farm” as Want to Read:
The Children Of Cherry-Tree Farm

The Children Of Cherry-Tree Farm (The Children of Cherry Tree Farm #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  704 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"We're off to Cherry-Tree Farm! We're going to go wild!" the children shout as their train pulls out of London.

So of course when Uncle Tim tells them about Tammylan, the wild man who lives out of doors and knows all about the animals and birds, they decide to look for him. Once they meet him all sorts of wonderful things start to happen, for Tammylan introduces the childr
Published May 1972 by Hamlyn (first published 1940)

Chloe Devenish
It was really good because the children got to meet Tammylan.
Coolbeans
The first I heard of this book and the book series when I was a very young child. My mother would read my sister and I stories before going to bed, sometimes making them up as she went along. One night, the three of us crowded into my younger sisters bed and snuggled up as my mother brought out the new book. Children of Cherry Tree Farm. For the next few nights, we delved into the lives of the four children, Rory, Benjy, Sheila and Penny and their time on their uncle and aunts farm- Cherry Tree ...more
Rebecca
Enid Blyton books are notable for their 'life is perfect and nothing goes wrong that can't be fixed' tales. Sadly this is one of those. While I enjoyed it as a child, even when I was 12 I began to rant about the improbability of the perfection of this world. It's a good book for kids, interesting enough to hold their attention yet sedate enough to ensure they aren't inspired by the book's contents to go forth and perform crimes etc.
Sally
Such a quiet, cosy little book! Simply, the children are sent to live with their aunt and uncle on Cherry Tree farm, and there they meet Tammylan, the "wild man", who teaches them about animals. No rip-roaring adventures - I kept expecting there to be smugglers or poachers hiding in the woods that the children would have to beat, but no! And still, it was a charming, delightful read.
Karthik
One of my favorite books during my childhood. It was fascinating how I discovered this book at my grandparents place - no one knew it existed - it was among the old things my aunt had brought from her home when she got married to my uncle - she had received it as a prize in school long back. When I read it, the story fascinated me so much I begged my aunt to let me take it. Now after so many years later, revisiting thi story, it did recreate some of the earlier magic in my mind. This book is som ...more
Rajeswari arun
the best books ever....children of cherry tree farm and children of willow tree farm!!!
Mehmet
When i was a Teenager i use to read Enid Blyton almost religously. Many time her story helped me escape to a wonderful fantasy world of adventure and fun. If i was sad or troubled reading her storys helped remove the pain. It also was part of what encouraged me to read. I read this book just for a little return to my youth. Wow she knew how to tune into a childs mind, i enjoyed this read and read it quickly and enjoyed my little time travel to by gone times.
On a side note i notice that a lot of
Octavia Cade
Oh, nostalgia. I read this as a kid and loved it, along with the Willow Farm sequel. It's definite rose-coloured glasses material, but Tammylan and the animal facts made up for it. I've always known what a squirrel nest is called thanks to these books: drey! - it's been useful more than once in crossword puzzles, so that's something...
Susan
I read this book as a child and loved it so much. I searched and searched for a copy when my children were young to read to them but never found a copy. If it ever came into print again I would buy a copy and read it again
Sarah Adamson
A fun very gentle EB book, no big adventures of surprises but a down to earth family book exploring nature and relationships.
James Erith
My grandmother read this to me when I was sick many years ago.
She read so beautifully that I was smitten. Wonderful stories.
Natasha
This book was my favourite as a child. Fantastic story and brilliantly written.
Amanda
My son and I have been reading this as his 'before bed story'. It took a couple of months as some nights he didn't want to read it (he is almost 6). His interest in it strengthened as the story went on.

I remember reading it to myself as a child and was completely enchanted by it, so I thought it would capture his interest in the same way. Perhaps childrens' tastes have changed?

Tammylan was definitely his favourite character and I suspect that the magic of the story will stay with him and will r
Indah W
Kayanya seehh.. gua pernah baca nih buku, hasil pinjaman dari temen gua, huehehe..

And I love it!

Gua suka cara Enid menggambarkan kehidupan di peternakan, and seriously abis baca buku ini gua jadi pengen punya peternakan, huahaha..

Enak kali yee bisa mandiin kerbau, merah susu sapii terus nguber2 babi yang asyik main lumpur lalu ngasih makan ayam plus ngumpulin telurnya tiap pagi, aahh aahh..

Living in farm can be so much fun, well.. at least dari cerita di buku ini sih sepertinya seruu, ahahaha :D
Carolyn
Loved it when I was six. Read it again as.an over 40 and still loved it!
Alex
Just to clarify: I loved these books as a kid, but I probably would not recommend them for people over 10 or 11. They are lovely classics to curl up with now and then just to relive a bit of your childhood though.
Andrea Hickman Walker
I've read Willow Farm, the sequel, but only recently managed to find a copy of this one. It's much the same as all Enid Blyton's happy family farm stories. Just what I needed for a lazy Sunday afternoon read.
Jenncouttas
I actually believed that eating enough apples from an apple tree would make me rosy and apple-cheeked. Cherry Tree and Willow Farms were my childhood utopias. Go on, sue me.
Kate
The first Enid Blyton book I ever read. A pleasant story with laudable if overidealized messages about rural life and respecting nature.
Michellestevens234
still 5 stars what a fab book, loved it all over again

now for Willow Tree farm...
Shruti
My first book(well actually my first book which i understood completely). It was awesome.
Anne Marshall
Another wonderful book of hers that I love. It has wonderful descriptions and characters.
Mia
Jun 23, 2013 Mia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Such a good book! Nice and heart-warming, with sweet children and a perfect life.
Minashsha Lamisa
my favouriteee childhood book. read it over 10 times.
Zazu
Zazu added it
Apr 25, 2015
  • Peggy of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #26)
  • The Tunnel Behind the Waterfall (The Magician's House Quartet, #3)
  • Far to Go
  • Safari Adventure
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories
  • Blinky Bill
  • The Prime Minister's Brain
  • The Tale of Mr. Tod
  • The Siege of White Deer Park (Farthing Wood, #5)
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

The Children of Cherry Tree Farm (3 books)
  • The Children of Willow Farm (Rewards)
  • More Adventures on Willow Farm
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)