Start by marking “Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level” as Want to Read:
Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level

Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Compelling tips and tricks to improve your mental skills

Don't you wish you were just a little smarter? Ron and Marty Hale-Evans can help with a vast array of witty, practical techniques that tune your brain to peak performance. Founded in current research, Mindhacker features 60 tips, tricks, and games to develop your mental potential. This accessible compilation helps imp

Published September 6th 2011 by Wiley (first published July 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mindhacker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindhacker

Misericordia ❣
Apr 14, 2016 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
A really good one-off guide to mindworks. The personal favs here would be: the 'Woo the Muse of the Odd' hack (welcoming weirdness), 'Knock Off Work' (for structured procrastination)

Q:
Chapter 1: Memory
Hack 1: Remember to Remember
Hack 2: Build a Memory Dungeon
Hack 3: Mix Up Your Facts
Hack 4: Space Your Repetitions
Hack 5: Recall Long-Ago Events (good)
Chapter 2: Learning
Hack 6: Establish Your Canon
Hack 7: Write in Your Books
Hack 8: Read at Speed (superb!)
Hack 9: Learn by Teaching (good)
Hack 10:
Josh Street
Oct 31, 2011 Josh Street rated it did not like it
Much weaker than the previous effort (which I enjoyed tremendously), this work just falls short. The writing is very uneven across many of the hacks, there are several areas where pseudoscience and inconclusive evidence is presented as fact and a mind-numbing level of repetition that seems reinforced by the structure used for the hacks. I had high hopes for this work (it was on my wish list for months prior to publication), but I'm afraid it just didn't deliver on those expectations.
Laura Lee
May 12, 2012 Laura Lee rated it liked it
Read this quickly and enjoyed it. One of the many books I'm going through for research purposes for my next book. It has lots of good suggestions for ways to keep learning as a grown up person out of school. Some of the "tricks" were novel and exciting but it is a mixed bag. Of course, the tricks that appealed to me might be quite different than those that appeal to someone else.
BeyondDL
May 05, 2012 BeyondDL rated it liked it
Shelves: the-big-list
As with many self help books, "Mindhacker" is a bold attempt to deliver in one text the material a person needs to change their lives. How often do you hear of a self help book claiming to enable the reader to move to the next level of mental capability? Mindhacker was an ordinary read. Although the book did have some good ideas, the ideas alone do not make a cohesive body of work.
Hadrian
A neat little collection of thought experiments, reminders, and mind games to play to improve your memory, understanding of basic mathematics, logic, etc. Live a more mindful existence.

Your results may vary, though. I was surprised to discover that I've already done most of these. It's still a nice book to have around and dip into when you feel inspired enough.
John Sutton
This is my 2nd Lifehacker book and maybe I'm not reading it or taking it the way it is supposed to be viewed, but there are some sections that just drag on or are uninteresting to me. Some parts are great and I learn a lot, but throughout most of the book I just wanted it to be over with. (Kindle)
Elise
Feb 01, 2015 Elise rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. Lots of tips for getting organized, improving intelligence, putting your life in order, etc. It also includes plenty of interesting and obscure information - I learned a lot from it.

This book is especially good for geeks and computer programmers.
Steve Carroll
Feb 26, 2013 Steve Carroll rated it really liked it
A great read full of idea on how to think differently. You definitely won't use all 60 hacks, but I bet at least one of them will end up striking a chord. Since it is broken into 60 discrete chunks it is the perfect book for reading on your phone in a stolen moments.
Hari Rao
Mar 15, 2015 Hari Rao rated it really liked it
This is a good, useful book, but don't try to read it all straight through, as it's a bit uneven. Read the parts that are useful to you. I read it in pieces in between other books.

Also, check out the author's first book, "Mind Performance Hacks."
mariah
Jun 11, 2012 mariah rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Very thought provoking and inspiring read. Lots of straight forward ideas to get your behaviors to guide your mind- like the idea of redirecting mental agility for things that matter, as opposed to the mundane
Alan
Aug 29, 2011 Alan marked it as deciding
Shelves: entertainment
Michael Fogleman
Sep 17, 2011 Michael Fogleman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Read a draft of this book. The guy who wrote the hacks about SRS and Dual N-Back is brilliant ;)
Charles
Jan 03, 2012 Charles rated it really liked it
This book arrived yesterday and I have started dipping in and exploring.
Humberto
Sep 06, 2012 Humberto rated it really liked it
good read, good ideas, read it at several intervals and not completely.
Alex Townshend
May 30, 2012 Alex Townshend rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-reread-study
Lots of interesting ideas most of which i'm sure I'll never use.
Pao
Pao marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Gianna
Gianna marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Tyler Beck
Tyler Beck marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Jared
Jared rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2016
Jason Loeffler
Jason Loeffler marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Ioannis
Ioannis marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Louis Goncey
Louis Goncey rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Ewa Wiąckowska
Ewa Wiąckowska marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Ana Mark
Ana Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
LY
LY marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
George Khali
George Khali marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Allan Laal
Allan Laal marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
  • Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
  • Mind Hacks: Tips & Tricks for Using Your Brain
  • Awkward: A Survival Guide for When All You Can Do Is Cringe
  • Rewire Your Brain: Think Your Way to a Better Life
  • Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds
  • Superhuman Social Skills: A Guide to Being Likeable, Winning Friends, and Building Your Social Circle
  • The Art of Aging: A Doctor's Prescription for Well-Being
  • Photoreading
  • The Measure of Madness: Inside the Disturbed and Disturbing Criminal Mind
  • Iconoclast: A Neuroscientist Reveals  How to Think Differently
  • Mate: Become the Man Women Want
  • Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking
  • Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential
  • Great Books of the Western World
  • Urban Shaman
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Your Memory: How It Works and How to Improve It
  • You Can Have an Amazing Memory: Learn Life-Changing Techniques and Tips from the Memory Maestro

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »