Start by marking “Confessions of a Window Dresser: Tales from a Life in Fashion” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Window Dresser: Tales from a Life in Fashion

Confessions of a Window Dresser: Tales from a Life in Fashion

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
November 1998

Queer jobs are few and far between, and the good ones are all taken. Just ask Simon Doonan. He moved up the corporate ladder by doing things like putting mannequins in store windows. Okay, he did more than that. All right, so he's an artist but how many of us appreciate a beautifully done window or are aware of how our interest i

Published August 2nd 2001 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published November 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Window Dresser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Window Dresser

Fun, arty photos plus writing that is a combination of snooty fashionisto with mod/punk. Just how you want Simon Doonan to be.
Pretty cool book about the beginnings of Simon Doonan with some great archival pictures of of the old Barney's in New York (West 17th and 7th) and Maxfields. What I learned... How to create a scandal with Helmut Lang clothes like you've never imagined. Toward the end of this book, which is rather large... I caught myself skipping the text itself and going for the picture descriptions.
Simon Doonan is hysterical. He grew up with a crazy aunt living in the attic, and a mother who would randomly paint the ceiling peacock blue. Thank god he got the job at Barneys, otherwise he'd be in the loony bin.

Next, I'd like to learn bout Jonathan Adler. He must be equally wacky to live with the likes of Simon.

Also I now plan to add the word "naff" to my vocabulary.
A fun narrative with dandy fashion-type jokes. It follows his career path from childhood London to LA to New York as a window dresser. Along with photos of his life and work this is an amped up coffee table book.
Entertaining read, fun look into one man's thoughts on a not often discussed profession. Lots of terrific photos of his creative and awesome window displays. Read it in basically a day.
Avis Black
This book looked promising, but failed to be interesting. The main problem is that Doonan lacks any real sense of the aesthetics of beauty, either in his writing or in his fashion sense.
This is a fun and interesting look at how the designer of the Barney's window has been inspired through the years. I recommend this book if you have an interest in pop culture and design.
Interesting look at his work, but not nearly as fun to read as his more autobiographical stuff. Not nearly as good as "Beautiful People", but has some great photos.
An exuberant, amusing account of the man behind Barney's famous, infamous, and crowd-pleasing window displays. A must-read for fans of fashion and design.
Muffy Kroha
The photos alone!!!! I wish I could work for him- Those of us who do this for a living know that we are a dying breed and he is our God.
Is there anything this man can't do? Fantastic visuals of his work done at Barney's New York of his fab window displays!
This book is about Simon Doonan's rise to Creative Director at Barneys New York and proves that some people are just lucky.
Every gay guy should write a book. Even when they have nothing to say, they're droll.
Funny, beautiful and perfect for any fashion lover!
Deirdre Kelly
Delightfully faggy! Life as seen through lavendar glasses.
amusing...typical ranting from sniffing too much paint.
Liz Heit
A merchandiser's handbook.. just full of great inspiration.
A very good, diverting read with some excellent advice.
My very favorite Visual Merchandiser of course!
Simon Doonan.

What a great read!
Oct 14, 2009 Jj marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: Denise owns this book!
fun and quick read
Amber marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Rebecca Edwards
Rebecca Edwards marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Betsy Gomberg
Betsy Gomberg marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Pink marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
  • Isabella Blow: A Life in Fashion
  • The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever
  • The Thoughtful Dresser
  • Florence Broadhurst: Her Secret & Extraordinary Lives
  • Kevyn Aucoin, a Beautiful Life: The Success, Struggles, and Beauty Secrets of a Legendary Makeup Artist
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • 100 Unforgettable Dresses
  • 100 Years of Fashion Illustration
  • In Vogue: An Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine
  • Chanel and Her World: Friends, Fashion, and Fame
  • The Corset: A Cultural History
  • 20th Century Fashion: 100 Years of Style by Decade and Designer, in Association with Vogue.
Simon Doonan (born 1952) is the Creative Ambassador-at-Large of the New York City-based clothing store Barneys.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Simon Doonan...
Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You Wacky Chicks: Life Lessons from Fearlessly Inappropriate and Fabulously Eccentric Women The Asylum: A collage of couture reminiscences...and hysteria Nasty: My Family and Other Glamorous Varmints Gay Men Don't Get Fat