Start by marking “Soul Thief (The Demon Trappers #2)” as Want to Read:
Soul Thief (The Demon Trappers #2)

Soul Thief (The Demon Trappers #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  9,295 Ratings  ·  610 Reviews

Riley Blackthorne is beginning to learn that there are worse things than death by demon. And love is just one of them…

Seventeen-year-old Riley has about had it up to here. After the devastating battle at the Tabernacle, trappers are dead and injured, her boyfriend Simon is gravely injured, and now her beloved late father’s been illegally poached from his grave by a v

Paperback, US, 339 pages
Published August 30th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Thief

Michelle  novelsontherun
RATING : 5 TEAM BECK STARS!!

When ‘Forbidden’, turned up on my doorstep, 10th August, I did my Team Beck happy dance. I read it immediately, and then was embargoed until 3rd September by Oz publishers, couldn't say a word. But , now I can!

I just LOVE!!!! this series. I absolutely adore Beck. Jana is making us readers work for that relationship we are hanging for, and rightly so.

For some daft reason I thought it was going to be kind of smooth sailing for Beck and Riley in ‘Forbidden’. I thought t
Jennifer Armentrout
Loved this book. But honestly, waiting to March 2012 is going to be a killer. Seriously considering dialing up the big "Prince L" and bartering my soul for an early copy of Forgiven to appear on my door stop. That's how good this was, minus the parts where I wanted to drop kick Riley in the face, but then again, that what's I sort of love about her.
Kiki
Sep 20, 2011 Kiki rated it it was amazing
Isamlq
Sep 02, 2011 Isamlq rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

I was not very impressed with the first one. In fact, I found that it had a lot of the same elements of other books of the same genre. A love triangle, no square of a girl who is in a lot of trouble, with a bestfriend who's secretly in love with her; then a dog-cat relationship with another, only not really. And of course the really good guy. Old hat, I thought. But this second book comes as a great surprise because as it addressed some of those concerns but also brought a whole lot more to
BookLoversLife
Apr 04, 2011 BookLoversLife rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved it. Whats not to love about these books!!! One word - Beck (sigh). I love Rileys character, shes feisty but sweet. Forbidden does not disappoint, its got everything, romance, action and demons. I want a magpie!!!
Becky
Feb 12, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
I'm probably breaking Goodreads protocol here, but I'm actually reviewing this book before I get around to reviewing its preceding book, The Demon Trapper's Daughter, because I think this book gives the reader a lot to chew on, and I wanted to get it down before real life gets in the way.

I consider myself a feminist, though I know the label can be a loaded one. And God help me if the Beck-Riley angle didn't set off some feminist alarm bells for me in the first book. By the end of this novel, tho
Hayley
Jun 25, 2011 Hayley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, arc
Looooooved this book. This series is probably my favorite example of YA urban fantasy out there, and this follow-up to The Demon Trapper's Daughter is as gripping and original as the first installment. Beck continues to be one of my favorite YA guys ever, and I can't believe I have to wait until next spring to read the next one. *sigh*
Ryan Buckby
Oct 06, 2015 Ryan Buckby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed this book!
Liz
Jul 26, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

Forbidden was fast-paced, thrilling and a great follow up to Forsaken, and possibly my favourite “second-in-a-series” of the year. In this book, Riley has to deal with a lot; after the demon attack that takes the lives of several of her fellow trappers and hospitalises her boyfriend Simon, Riley doesn’t think things can get much worse. How very wrong she is. First Simon starts acting all weird, then she’s accused of working with Hell, her guardian-slash-friend-slash-eternal-bane-of-her-exis
Rae T
HOLY SHIT. HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Read this book in one day! I know I clicked the "started reading" thing a day before, but really I fell asleep right after doing so lol...

Okay, so on the last 60 pages I was like hmmmm I guess I'll rate this around 4.5 stars.
On the last 20 pages, however, I was surprised at the turn of events.

This book was way better than the first one. I have to admit - I didn't like what happened between Riley and Ori. I mean, with Beck and Justine I thought it was okay since Ril
Amber
Jul 24, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, reviews, arcs
Riley and her guild are back and dealing with the aftermath of the attack on the Tabernacle. Picking up where The Demon Trapper's Daughter left off, Soul Thief utilizes the world building it did in the first novel to plunge Riley and the reader further into the gritty underground of Atlanta with the same cast of real characters, a few new additions and a plot full of jaw dropping twists.

What I loved about Riley in the first novel was her strength but also her vulnerability. She was brave when sh
Jessica Hansen
Apr 18, 2011 Jessica Hansen rated it it was amazing
Struggling to wrap her head around what has happened, Riley also has to try to move forward and figure out who was behind ambushing the trappers. Everyone wants to point the finger at her and her dad, but she just won't stand for it. She knows she didn't do it, she knows Simon laid the Holy Water correctly and that it wasn't the fake stuff. So what happened?

With Riley's mind going in 15 different directions, she knows a few things are on top of her list of "To-Dos". Find her dad, kill the demon
Jade Walker
Aug 04, 2011 Jade Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated-a
Original review at http://inkscratchers.blogspot.com/

Firstly, I have to say that Forsaken, the first book in this series, was one of those books that despite the flaws, I loved completely, so when I receive Forbidden in the post, I think I may have squeed. A lot. Then I worried a little, wondering whether this book would be one that I would be adding to my 'Sequels that suck' pile.

Nope, I'm so adding this to my 'Sequels That Totally Improve The Whole Series' pile. Forbidden had the same action a
Jenny
Apr 26, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
I liked The Demon Trapper's Daughter a lot, and Soul Thief is just the sequel that I was hoping for. The plot thickens, tensions grow, relationships evolve and devolve, demons attack.

Riley and Beck might be two of my favorite main characters in urban fantasy. Riley is everything that a great YA heroine should be - she is smart, determined, and strong, yet isn't without her vulnerability. She struggles to succeed in a man's profession, which makes her feisty and stubborn to a fault. All of this m
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Riley is in the thick of things. The Tabernacle attack has taken lives and has injured Simon. With all this going on she is scared out of her mind that Simon is going to die. At least Beck is okay and alive that she can live with.

When Riley goes to the hospital to visit Simon she is approached by an angel who says Simon can live if she makes a deal with heaven. Riley wants to know what exactly she is getting herself into so she asks what the deal is. Once she learns of the deal she takes it. Wha
Lina
Nov 29, 2011 Lina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book? Amazing.!! The plot is getting really interesting. Im really happy for Riley, at least she has her dad now. Which is really good. Beck,is just pissing me off. He should be helping Riley, and not being against her.!!! Simon, is just playing on my nerves. He turned into such a dork..!! And Ori. OMG.!! How could he? Seriously, I thought he was better than that.!!! But, I still want her to be with Beck..:D
Say
Nov 05, 2011 Say rated it really liked it
Shelves: july-2014-reads
WOW!!! Just wow!!! This was better than the first one. Though I gave it the same rating as the first one (due to Riley's occasional stupidness) other than that it was really good. There were more revelations who are the good guys and the bad guys...... and yes, you would be surprised. And yes, I'm all #TeamBeck that's for sure. So Riley, better get your head right!!! Or else....
 Soph - Lock&Key
4.5 stars...

This book was pretty amazing :)

Team Beck....even though he was a bit of a butthead in this book, i still love him! <3
Rachel
Jul 18, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Things in Atlanta are a mess. The Guild can’t get a handle on their local demon population and it looks like the Hunters from Rome will have to step in and help. But their kind of help always comes at a price.

No one is sure what happened at the Guild meeting that landed several trappers in the morgue and others severely injured. But whatever it was, someone is to blame and it looks like everyone wants to point the finger at Riley and Paul Blackthorne.

On top of all of this, Riley is still trying
Shelley
Apr 11, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Genre: YA Paranormal
Rating: 3.5-4 stars

*Review*

17-year old apprentice demon trapper Riley Blackthorne's world is about to abruptly change and dive rapidly into the abyss thanks to several factors that are all working against her. Most of these factors have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Riley or her actions which are intended to be brave in nature, but silly once they are made.

Her father's body has been raised from the dead by an unknown force and nobody is talking about it. The necrom
Alicia
Aug 13, 2011 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**SPOILERS FOR FORSAKEN, THE FIRST BOOK IN THE SERIES (which you should definitely read first!)**

It’s a bit difficult to give a brief summary of Forbidden without revealing too much, as there are a heck of a lot of amazing plot twists which I really don’t want to spoil, but I’ll try my best: Forbidden starts where Forsaken left us – with the entire city of Atlanta recovering from the demon attack that occurred at the Demon Trapper meeting; Trappers are mourning the loss of some of their greatest
Siobhan
The Demon Trappers: Forbidden is the second book in Jana Oliver's series. It continues the story of seventeen year old Riley Blackthorne, the only female trapper in the Atlanta guild if Demon Trappers. Her father has been lifted from his grave and as the trappers try to come to terms with the death of so many trappers in the tabernacle debacle it creates more and more times for this poor girl to be taken advantage of and manipulated.

Ugh ugh guh RILEY!

Riley, baby, why?!

I finished this book last n
Buffy
Feb 24, 2011 Buffy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's actually about 3,5 stars for me.

So, the story picks up the day after Forsaken ends. There are lots of casualties, Riley is trying to deal both with the shock of seeing her father and a lot of members of the Guild not exactly trusting her. The entire book mostly focuses on Riley trying to figure out who has raised her father's corpse, the prime suspect always being the creepy Ozymandias. Changes in Peter's life result in his being more involved in Riley's life.

Now let's get to the 3 dudes
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Jul 26, 2011 Carmel (Rabid Reads) rated it really liked it
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I adored the fast paced, distinctive storyline of The Demon Trapper's Daughter which made Soul Thief an automatic add to my must-read pile. Jana Oliver's second installment is good but the change in the plot's direction does have me concerned. I was really hoping for some romance this time around, instead we get something else entirely and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Beck, Simon and Ori all had the potential of being sexy alpha males except they act like compl
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
"Riley's beginning to think being a demon trapper isn't all it's cracked up to be. Her dad's been stolen by a necromancer, her boyfriend's gone all weird and she's getting warm and fuzzy feelings for someone who's seriously bad news. It's tempting to give it all up and try to be normal, but that's not an option. Because the demons have plans for Riley. And they're not the only ones." <--That is the synopsis on the back of the book. It pretty much does sum up the entire story!

Forbidden is defi
Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile)
Maria_Love_For_Books
OMG! This book was AMAZING! “Forbidden” is the second book in the Demon Trappers series by Jana Oliver and I have to say that it was even better than the first one! I don’t really know from where to start this review! This world-building is the most interesting in a YA fantasy book. While I was reading the story I thought that I was a part of this world. Although there is enough misery and the whole atmosphere is very dark, the writing style of the author is so good that I wanted to live there a ...more
Samuel
Having devoured the first Demon Trappers book I absolutely could not wait to get my hands on the second instalment in the series.
The result: A resounding ehhh.

Don't get me wrong, it's not at all a bad book, but Riley seems to spend most of the book floundering around accomplishing nothing, the plot of this book is slightly flimsy compared to that of the first book.

One thing this book does well, and better than a lot of recent books I have read, is give us time with the characters. Luckily Jan
Scoot
May 30, 2011 Scoot rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, arc
Picking up immediately after the events of the first novel in Soul Thief we rejoin Riley Blackthorne as she struggles to cope with her ripped apart life. Riley has yet to learn the unintended consequences of her deal with heaven and she is on the hunt to find her father’s body. Thrown on top of it all a Grade 5 demon is still trying to hunt her down and the men in her life are giving her all kinds of mixed – or not so mixed – signals. I loved The Demon Trapper’s Daughter, so of course I was a li ...more
Maria
Mar 11, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Hello there and happy new year 2013 I know I am late so sorry about that.

Forbidden is the second book in The Demon Trappers series by Jana Oliver and I have to admit I literally loved and worship the first book called Forsaken. So why it took me so long to continue reading the series? Because after I finished the first one I realize there is no way I could wait for each book to arrive so I sit back and waited being patient and all for all books to released and here we go…

Forbidden with two words
The Great Wall of China and Beijing Travel Guide 1 2 Feb 07, 2015 06:43PM
Beck, Simon, or the angel? 2 22 Sep 03, 2013 09:09AM
Pifflewaffers Uni...: Forbidden 2 5 Jul 04, 2013 04:35AM
Addicted to YA: Forbidden 3 37 Jun 18, 2012 01:50PM
  • Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Angel Fire (Angel, #2)
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • Fever (Dark Touch, #3)
  • Dark Heart Rising (Dark Heart, #2)
  • Demon Kissed (Demon Kissed, #1)
  • Severed (Fated, #2)
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Exile (Mercy, #2)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • The Demon's Surrender (The Demon's Lexicon, #3)
  • Damned (Crusade, #2)
  • Reign Check (Demon Princess #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Endless (The Violet Eden Chapters, #4)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
Jana Oliver is an international and Amazon bestselling author who lives in Atlanta, Georgia.

Her novels have won numerous awards, including the Prism Award, the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery and Supense as well as the National Readers' Choice Award.

Her novels cross many genres, including Young Adult (the Demon Trappers Series, Briar Rose), time travel/historical mystery (The Ti
More about Jana Oliver...

The Demon Trappers (5 books)
  • Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • Mind Games (The Demon Trappers, #5)

“The End is Nigh!" the man shouted.
"Is there still time for hot chocolate?" Riley asked.
The-End-is-Nigh guy blinked. "Ah, maybe, I don’t know.”
184 likes
“I can't face losin' ya, Riley. Yer all I got left in this world.”
That brutal honesty again. He'd peeled away more armor, and this time he'd exposed his heart.”
84 likes