Start by marking “The Wild Card” as Want to Read:
The Wild Card

The Wild Card (Men Out of Uniform #8)

Former ranger Seth McCutcheon is a man of his word. Leave the military at the request of his dying mother? Check. Join the super-elite Ranger Security? Definitely. Provide a security detail at a high-society wedding? Hell, why not?
Go undercover as the wedding planner's boyfriend? Uhh, well....
But once Seth sets eyes on sexy Penelope Hart, he knows he's a goner. If Penelo
Published February 1st 2011 by Harlequin Blaze

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Card, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Card

Silverana
Feb 24, 2013 Silverana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p
This is a quick, enjoyable read. But once again as I found in two other books I've read from this author, there is dialogue between characters and then a somewhat long description of their inner thoughts. It was like a pattern of dialogue thoughts dialogue thoughts and the length of the thoughts seemed to affect a steady development. It kind of took away from excitement and action that comes from dialogue between the main characters. I skipped over a few sentences in some of the inner thoughts p ...more
Carrie
2.5* rounded up for goodreads.

Rhonda Nelson is a decent writer, but this felt like an abridged book, with sudden transitions, flat characters, and underdeveloped plot lines. The book starts out with promise, but detours badly with the unconvincing pseudo-suspense subplot and never really recovers. The romance wasn't convincing since little time is spent showing how it developed beyond the instant lust.

Okay for a few hours if you want a quick, sexy read with likeable main characters.
Cynthia
Apr 15, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy a good story that can be read in a short amount of time.

A predictable story-line that leaves you feeling warm fuzzies nevertheless.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Mix a man with integrity and a passion for commitment with a woman who makes running from the “C” word an art form and a reader is in for a fun read.

I have to give Ms. Nelson credit. The first chapter gave me the sniffles and it had a stranglehold on my heartstrings. It created an instantaneous need to find out what happens to the hero and I was, and there’s that word again committed, to finding out what happens to Seth McCutcheon. How is that pronounced anyway?

Seth is a decent man and life ju
Lyndi
Dec 23, 2014 Lyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've noticed there are quite a few mentions of Alabama football in this series. The hero is usually a fan. But this story was actually in Alabama, in locations I recognize. That was a bit of a novelty, for the wedding to be on an island where my friends and I partied in high school.

I liked Seth. He was fun. And I liked Pen well enough, but her dating rules annoyed me. Still, this was a fun read.
Donna
Feb 02, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story!!! I thought it was very nicely done. I get tired of novels in which the author belabors the "commitment phobia" of one or both of the main characters, but that did not happen in this one. Seth and Penelope's individual issues with marriage were mentioned, but not overdone. The entire romance developed very well. My only issue was that reasons behind the entire wedding sabotage premise was just too ridiculous to be believable.
Jamie DeBree
May 30, 2011 Jamie DeBree rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for a cautious, wounded heroine, and this book did not disappoint. The super hot, hunky, wounded hero just added to the angst and made the ending that much sweeter. Loved it. Highly recommend!
Yona
Sep 11, 2012 Yona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I just couldn't stand Penelope. She was a full control freak - she had to know and be a part of everything, she just don't leave any space for breathing.

Seth was a great guy, but Pen just ruined the book for me.
Serena
Feb 16, 2011 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.
Kim
Aug 31, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, for a romance novel, this one was pretty good. It had a nice plot. I would remember the characters of this book, but, maybe not the book itself. So, that says something.
Marie Jermy
Feb 02, 2012 Marie Jermy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blaze
Rhonda Nelson never fails to deliver. The Wild Card, as with the other seven Men Out of Uniform books, is brilliantly written, funny and hot hot hot.
Lisa C
May 10, 2011 Lisa C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
They're like jellybeans. You can't eat just one. Actually, I liked this one well enough to seek out others in the series.
Cecelia
Despite a level of cheese a Wisconsinite would be proud of at the beginning, I really enjoyed this book
Maura
Sep 03, 2011 Maura rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
What can I say Harlequin all the way!
Lea
Feb 09, 2013 Lea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-buy
Men out of uniform - Book 8
Rachel Dolly
Rachel Dolly rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Amanda Mahar
Amanda Mahar rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Tiblu
Tiblu rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2014
Tammi Drevers
Tammi Drevers rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2012
Kimaya Mathew
Kimaya Mathew rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Jess Robinson
Jess Robinson rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Sruthi
Sruthi rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2012
Darlene
Darlene rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Wanda Sabin
Wanda Sabin rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Diane Ocherony
Diane Ocherony rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Night Maneuvers
  • In the Line of Fire (Harlequin Blaze #598) (Uniformly Hot!, #15)
  • Born on the 4th of July
  • Making a Splash
  • Terms of Surrender (Harlequin Blaze) (Uniformly Hot!, #18)
  • Breaking the Rules (Harlequin Blaze) (Uniformly Hot!, #14)
  • Her Last Line of Defense (Uniformly Hot!, #9)
  • High Stakes Seduction (Uniformly Hot!, #17)
  • SEALed with a Kiss (Harlequin Blaze, #589)
  • The Braddock Boys: Colton (Braddock Boys, #4) (Love At First Bite, #7)
  • Christmas Male (Uniformly Hot!, #12)
  • Face-Off
  • Hot-Blooded (Harlequin Blaze, #563)
  • High Octane
  • The Mighty Quinns: Dermot (The Mighty Quinns, #19)
  • Beyond His Control (SEAL, #3)
  • Merry Christmas, Baby: It's Christmas, Cowboy! + Northern Fantasy + He'll Be Home for Christmas
  • Hotshot \ Going for It (Uniformly Hot! #20)

Men Out of Uniform (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Player
  • The Specialist
  • The Maverick
  • The Loner (Men Out of Uniform #4)
  • The Hell-Raiser