Start by marking “Small Beneath the Sky: A Prairie Memoir” as Want to Read:
Small Beneath the Sky: A Prairie Memoir

Small Beneath the Sky: A Prairie Memoir

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"Small Beneath the Sky" is a tender, unsparing portrait of a family. It is also a book about place. Growing up in a small prairie city, where the local heroes were hockey players and curlers, Lorna Crozier never once dreamed of becoming a writer. Nonetheless, the grace, wisdom, and wit of her poetry have won her international acclaim. In this marvellous volume of recollect ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Greystone Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Small Beneath the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Beneath the Sky

Suzanne
Anyone who has grown up under a prairie sky will find much to connect with in Crozier's beautiful book about her life in small town Saskatchewan. Crozier is a celebrated Canadian poet and she lends her delicate touch with words to this book of short stories, giving readers a well-thought look into prairie life. You feel like you're reading a book of poetry. The wheat, the streets, the sky - they come alive.

Although having growing up in "modern day" Saskatchewan, my parents and their parents exi
Kathy Stinson
As beautifully written memoir as I've ever read. The pieces on the passing of her mother are especially moving.
Paula Dembeck
In this small volume, Lorna Crozier produces a memoir only a poet could write. She tells us how the geography of her home and her early family life in Swift Current Saskatchewan gave her an understanding of the world and shaped the person she became.

She chooses to tell her story through the prism of a quote from Aristotle, who believed there was something beyond cause and effect, some immoveable force he called "the first cause". So it is through the prism of these "first causes" that she title
Julie
It's not surprising that this memoir straddles the border of poetry and prose since Lorna Crozier is known more as a poet than an author. I love the glimpses she shares of the struggles and the magic of living in a prairie town and a child's perspective on poverty. Amongst the stories of her family are vignettes called "first cause". A concept borrowed from Aristotle, first cause is a force that is outside the realm of cause & effect, a place of beginning. Crozier's first cause elements incl ...more
Jennifer Irvine
Short essays about the author's life in Swift Current, Sask. Poignant at times - drunk father poverty, feeling less than yet good memories of family. The book's format is a good study on how one can write a memoir - short pieces that fit together even though they don't always flow chronologically. Borrowed this book because of its structure.
Ann Douglas
Shonna Froebel
This memoir had me enthralled from the first page. The imagery is some of the best I've ever read and she intersperses memoir segments with impressions on nature and her prairie surroundings.
Her memoir is open and honest and she doesn't try to gloss over the difficult times. She has gained permissions from some people she grew up with to tell their stories and has changed the names of others. Her family life was not easy and she talks about the role family dynamics played in not only her life, b
Kelly
41/2-5 stars. A gem, a beautiful book. Some sentences took my breath away with their elegance and emotion.
Trudy Jaskela
Lorna's story of growning up in a large town in Saskatchewan. I grew up in a small town (400 persons) Swift Current, about 90 miles from my hometown, was a large town as far as I was concerned.
Book is about realtionships also. Lorna's mother was a strong character who obviously played a huge part in Lorna's success in life. Lorna's father gambled and drank to excess.
I enjoy reading books about growning up on the praires in southern in Saskatchewan
Marney Cooley
Beautiful language - poetic at times but powerful in evoking the landscape and culture that shaped the author's childhood. Anyone who has driven through the Great Plains will understand the geography. Emotionally involving. Thoughtful too.
Judy
Lorna Crozier knows a thing or two about love. Her writing is as beautiful as it is seemingly effortless. I could feel the prairie wind on my face and the dust settling on my skin. An exquisite gem of a book.
Megan
Beautiful, lyrical, funny, and to me, it truly captured life in Southwest SK. I don't often tend towards reading memoirs, but I know this one will leave a lasting impression.
Monique
A beautiful book in writing and package design. Lorna Crozier is a lovely, lovely writer. This is a prairie memoir that assumes a prairie personality.
Lynn Kearney
Am very fond of memoirs and this one, by Canadian poet Lorna Crozier is excellent. Lots that's familiar from my own Canadian childhood.
Skai Leja
Beautiful evocation of a time, a place, a relationship, many relationships, actually, of growing up and maturing.
Julie
I originally read this book in 2010 and again four years later in 2014. I enjoyed it more in 2014 !
Jenny
Very well-written. Recommended by my sister (who loved it). Swift Current in the 1950s and 60s.
Patty
I loved this book...small town life...it brought back so many memories of my own experiences...
Rob & Liz
Beautifully written memoir of growing up in Swift Current.
Alana
Interesting to read a book set in Swift Current!
Katy
Poignant and gorgeously written.
Alexis
Gorgeous, poetic prairie memoir.
Liralen
Liralen marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Kenneth Duffy
Kenneth Duffy marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Dino63
Dino63 marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Greta
Greta marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lorna Crozier was born in 1948 in Swift Current, Saskatchewan. As a child growing up in a prairie community where the local heroes were hockey players and curlers, she “never once thought of being a writer.” After university, Lorna went on to teach high school English and work as a guidance counsellor. During these years, Lorna published her first poem in Grain magazine, a publication that turned ...more
More about Lorna Crozier...
Addicted: Notes from the Belly of the Beast Inventing the Hawk The Garden Going on Without Us The Blue Hour of the Day: Selected Poems What the Living Won't Let Go

“Who but my mother held those small pieces of my childhood? Where would they go when she was gone?” 7 likes