Confucian Analects

Confucian Analects

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The Master said, 'If the people be led by laws, and uniformity sought to be given them by punishments, they will try to avoid the punishment, but have no sense of shame.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 1st 2004)

John Wiswell
Aug 15, 2007 John Wiswell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers interested in foreign law and philosophy, anthropology readers
The Confucian Analects imparts the wisdom and actions of the great Chinese philosopher Confucius, who exerted astounding influence on Asian history. The book is vital reading for anyone interested in such a broad school of thought, and so short that one can make it through with little time; the less law or philosophy you've read, the longer it will take you to get through. Yet unlike the I Ching or Tao te Ching, this book is so literal and legalistic that it can still be read briskly by newcomer...more
Heather dennis
After reading this book and "The Sayings of Confucius" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8... This one has some good qualities but overall is less useful.

I like the translations here more. They flow a bit better.

With that said "The sayings of confucius" goes into more details about the world that he lived in and the cultural history associated with his works. So you may want to read it at the same time as this book.

As far as structure. I like the original chinese in the book I just really wo...more
Yaqeen Ul Haq Ahmad Sikander
An inspirational read delving into some teachings of Confucius.
Billy
A very worthwhile read for anyone that wants to have a better understanding of the Chinese. I think a great deal of this still applies to Chinese society today.
Choonghwan
The Analects of Confucius

It is a book of modesty and unsumptuousness. Based on common sense it inspires us to cultivate ourselves to be better each day.
Frank
The competition is fierce, yet this book stands high on the list of the most tiresome I've ever read.
Jamie
Jamie is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Erica
Erica is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Dustin Steinhagen
Dustin Steinhagen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Christopher Bajgier
Christopher Bajgier marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Amy Jo
Amy Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Becki Bradsher
Becki Bradsher marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Sérgio Barros
Sérgio Barros is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
MaximusIntoxicus
MaximusIntoxicus marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Hunter Lindley
Hunter Lindley marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Bernard Mokam
Bernard Mokam marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Works of Mencius Texts of Taoism (Volume 1) The Chinese Classics. With A Translation, Critical And Exegetical Notes, Prolegomena, And Copious Indexes: Volume 1. Confucian Analects, The Great Learning, And The Doctrine Of The Mean The She King or the Book of Poetry (Chinese Classics Series) The I Ching, or Book of Changes