Start by marking “Confucian Analects” as Want to Read:
Confucian Analects

Confucian Analects

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Master said, 'If the people be led by laws, and uniformity sought to be given them by punishments, they will try to avoid the punishment, but have no sense of shame.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Confucian Analects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confucian Analects

Tina_K
It's not that I disliked this. In fact, I believe that Confucius was an extraordinarily wise man. What it difficult for me when reading this historical literature is the format and structure. I believe if it was written in modern language, using modern sentence structure and grammar I'd eat most of this stuff up.

Even with the book's "ancientness" against it I still enjoyed reading it. There are many principles that are straight up common sense and it surely wouldn't hurt us to listen and take ac
John Wiswell
Aug 15, 2007 John Wiswell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers interested in foreign law and philosophy, anthropology readers
The Confucian Analects imparts the wisdom and actions of the great Chinese philosopher Confucius, who exerted astounding influence on Asian history. The book is vital reading for anyone interested in such a broad school of thought, and so short that one can make it through with little time; the less law or philosophy you've read, the longer it will take you to get through. Yet unlike the I Ching or Tao te Ching, this book is so literal and legalistic that it can still be read briskly by newcomer ...more
Mark
You ever get the feeling while reading something that the only reason why anyone bothers to read it is because, somewhere along the lines, someone deemed it a "classic" or a "must read"? That collectively we've all bought into the myth that certain pieces of literature are indispensable? And that this myth is self-perpetuating (and self-fulfilling)? This is one of those works.

A few words (and only a few words) come to mind when reading Confucius: Naive. Idealistic. Over-simplistic. Unrealistic.
Tom Nysetvold
Good stuff. Some interesting tidbits, as well as many that are less so. I think I need to read a commentary or heavily annotated version eventually; I frequently felt I was missing allusions or that things weren't coming through in the translation.

I read the Project Gutenberg Kindle edition, which had disappointing formatting.
Munqith Gharib
Full of platitudes, but what's interesting is Confucius's nearly matter-of-fact attitude towards spirituality and morality. For a Chinese wisdom book as old as it is it really cuts to the chase.

eman helal
رجع بخفي حنين .. دا بالتحديد شعورى بعد ما خلصت الكتاب ، اما المؤلف ظلم كونفوشيوس بكتاب زى دا او كونفوشيوس هو اللى ظلم نفسه بأفكار زى دى .. فى كل الحالات كتاب اقل من المستوى رغم ان بعض المحاورات وإن كانت بدائية فى اسلوبها الا ان معناها حلو
Heather dennis
After reading this book and "The Sayings of Confucius" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8... This one has some good qualities but overall is less useful.

I like the translations here more. They flow a bit better.

With that said "The sayings of confucius" goes into more details about the world that he lived in and the cultural history associated with his works. So you may want to read it at the same time as this book.

As far as structure. I like the original chinese in the book I just really wo
Yaqeen Sikander
An inspirational read delving into some teachings of Confucius.
Billy
A very worthwhile read for anyone that wants to have a better understanding of the Chinese. I think a great deal of this still applies to Chinese society today.
Choonghwan
The Analects of Confucius

It is a book of modesty and unsumptuousness. Based on common sense it inspires us to cultivate ourselves to be better each day.
Frank
The competition is fierce, yet this book stands high on the list of the most tiresome I've ever read.
Minamanjari
Minamanjari marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Allen Anderson
Allen Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Luis Angel
Luis Angel is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2015
Edward Valenzuela
Edward Valenzuela marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Sean Thompson
Sean Thompson is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2015
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Kevin
Kevin added it
Jun 02, 2015
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Raj
Raj marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
John White
John White is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Works of Mencius Texts of Taoism (Volume 1) The Chinese Classics. With A Translation, Critical And Exegetical Notes, Prolegomena, And Copious Indexes: Volume 1. Confucian Analects, The Great Learning, And The Doctrine Of The Mean The She King or the Book of Poetry (Chinese Classics Series) Texts of Taoism

“【十九章】子曰、中人以上、可以語上也、中人以下、不可以語上也。 【二十章】樊遲問知。子曰、務民之義、敬鬼神而遠之、可謂知矣。問仁。 曰、仁者先難而後獲、可” 0 likes
“棖也慾、焉得剛。” 0 likes