Start by marking “Orion” as Want to Read:
Orion

Orion (Orion #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,051 ratings  ·  42 reviews
John O'Ryan is not a god...not exactly. He is an eternal warrior destined to combat the Dark Lord through all time for dominion of the Earth. Follow him, servant of a great race, as he battles his enemy down the halls of time, from the caves of our ancestors to the final confrontation under the hammer of nuclear annihilation.
Audiobook
Published November 16th 2010 by Audible Frontiers (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Orion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orion

Glen Batchelor
Tom Rowe
It starts off slow but ramps up at the end. It is little predictable, but Bova can write interesting boring material if that even makes sense.
Linda
This had an interesting premise but it ultimately didn't really work well for me. It started out as a good vs. evil kind of story but then the good wasn't so good and the evil wasn't so evil and though the individual parts were interesting the story as a whole was not very compelling.
Charlie
Interesting book, but I definitely do not agree with his views on theology and the origin of things.
Jeffrey Wienckowski
Aug 22, 2007 Jeffrey Wienckowski rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in SciFi and Mythology
Shelves: fantasy
I read this book in High School and LOVED it. I'd be curious to see if it still holds up or not.
Regan Ware
Loved it! Could not stop!
Jeff Stockett
Jun 26, 2013 Jeff Stockett rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, adventure fans
Shelves: science-fiction
The first time I read this book I was 15. I remember being deeply engrossed in the adventure, from the opening line of, "I am not superhuman" to every other word in the book that brings doubt to that statement. Orion is amazing, he is very human, yet he is also more.

With the recent release of Orion and King Arthur in paperback, I decided to go back and revisit the entire series before reading the conclusion that I've been waiting 17 years for.

Reading this as a 32 year old man was such a joy. It
Linda
Orion was created by the god Ormazd for the sole purpose of killing Ahrimam in order, so Ormazd thought, to keep the time/space continuum in place. Orion is sent from the future backwards in time, with 4 stops on the way -- 20th century, 13th century, late ice age, and the ice age -- where his job is to find Ahrimam and kill Ahrimam or at least stop his attempt to destroy the human race. Orion succeeds in thwarting Ahrimam at each stop but never succeeds in killing him but rather usually is kill ...more
Chuck
If you are a fan of science fiction that explains mythology, there are few books better than this. Before I continue, let me say that this is a complete spoiler; if you read this I will give the story away.

John O'Ryan is a character who moves across space and time; he is moving backward through time, from the future to the past. He is locked in a battle with a mysterious, dark figure who, he has been told, is is even and is intent on destroying humanity. Ryan soon realizes that the dark figure i
Khari Evans-McGraw
The book Orion is a sci-fi/ fantasy book with a major focus on time travel. In the Book Ormazd a god like being and a woman/ goddess that whose name is Anya but her name changes to suit the stories needs fight a powerful being named Ahrimam. The main character Orion a Super Human created to kill Ahrimam who is trying to end time and to stop him Orion is flung from time period to time period like a glorified rag doll. The book’s plot focuses on how important turning points or nexuses as the book ...more
Charles
Ugh. I picked this up largely because I'd seen it so many times.

Mythology explained by SF. Nothing really original, or interesting regarding the SF. The main character basically has superpowers, but rarely uses them.

The characters weren't particularly well done.

I wonder if the plot was actually several short stories rewritten as a novel. The plot was like the SF-nothing really original or interesting.

At the beginning, I thought the setup was interesting, but Bova never really did anything intere
Robyn Blaber
Well... it was ambitious in it's own way and had many interesting elements, but it lacked the depth that a sci-fi geek craves. It needed more characters OR perhaps more technology to get lost in or hung up upon. Instead the same characters reappear again an again, albeit in an interesting way, but there are very few surprises. The outcome could be guessed by chapter 2. Oh well... it was a fun read.
Bookstooge
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions.

For the rest of this review, please visit:
Tori
A wonderful sci-fi with a mind-blowing twist. Could do without the love story, although it does bring attention to what makes human beings "human." Interesting interpretation of time and evolution that will make you ponder it long after you've finished reading.
Thomas
Seems like it might have made a better comic book than a novel. Not to say that was the issue. The book just felt rather thin overall.
Rique Nash
Pretty good. Not as good as Ben Bova's book Rock Rats imho.
Andreas
Widely considered to be Bova’s masterpiece, I never really figured out these books (and yet for some reason I read three of them). Our titular hero loses his memory, fights evil as he jumps back and forth in different eras of past and future. These jumps are more or less out of his control. He constantly loses and regains his beloved. The first book is decent, but after that it’s really just rinse and repeat and they blend into each other in my memory. I gave up after book three.

Jamie
Orion is a facinating story of a quantum-leap-esq time traveling man from the future/past (it makes sense after you finish the book). The opening line is something like "I am not superhuman". The main character is able to completely control all of the autonomic functions of his body. Good story with an interesting plot twist.
David
My first Bova novel and I can't say I'm impressed.
On the whole, it read much like a James Patterson novel does, easy to read and a bit dumb. It's a stretch to call this a science fiction novel. It's more of a fantasy. Would have been a better short story. So many of the same lines were repeated ad nauseum.
Jonshann0w
Read quite a bit of Ben Bova before and this was vary disappointing. The story never really goes anywhere I did not like the premise much, the huge jumps in time did not feel right and overall not much point to the book. I will not be reading others in the series. (I really don't see how he can write others).
Thomas Wiest
This is a very interesting and thought provoking book. I found myself thinking about the premise of this book even when I wasn't reading it.

The story itself is pretty good, but the concepts are what really sold me. I now plan to read the whole series.
Brian Irwin
A decent read, I really like the idea of a high-tech people not ready to live as pioneers, some of the substories are a lot of fun I would give 3 1/2 stars if I had the technoloy
James Grady
This is probably my favorite book. I've read this book 4 times and I've enjoyed reliving the story each time. I absolutely love this book and the time line that exists within it.
Jen
I read this when I was in high school and it was amazing. I've been unable to find a copy. Even the library couldn't track down a copy. I want to read it again.
César
i read this book while in high school and was deeply impressed by it. after almost 20 years, i find it by chance, and am really looking forward to re-reading it.
Celeste
I'm working my way through a bunch of classic sci-fi on Brad's bookshelves. I never read this series, but I'm impressed. Different... which is saying something.
Dmack
What a fun read!! Absolutely love the way he weaves; possible history and military sci fi together; once you read one of these you will want to read the next 4
Joe
I think that I had read this previously.
Or that I may have read this in the future. ( if you've read it, you'll get that).
Pretty good.
Kurt Rocourt
A fun adventure story through time but going backwards in time. Similar to Elric in some ways but also just as enjoyable.
  • Empire of the Atom
  • Vitals
  • Flux (Xeelee Sequence, #3)
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • The March Hare Network (Wonderland Gambit, #2)
  • Rainbow Mars
  • Ecce and Old Earth (Cadwal Chronicles, #2)
  • Downward to the Earth
  • VALIS and Later Novels
  • Heart of the Comet
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...