Start by marking “I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood” as Want to Read:
I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood

I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
For readers of John O’Hurley’s It’s Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump and Chelsea Handler’s Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea, Daytime Emmy-winner Tom Bergeron—host of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars and America’s Funniest Home Videos—offers a series of humorous and inspirational stories on surviving Hollywood, including behind-the-camera stories with A-list celebri ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by HarperOne (first published March 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!

Kristine
Jan 17, 2016 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood by Tom Bergeron - purchased as a Kindle book on March 13, begun and finished on March 18th.

Being a huge fan of America's Funniest Home Videos and (pausing to recollect the existence of and then remember it extra super fondly at the time that it was on before school) fx's Breakfast Time with Bob the Puppet, this was a very easy purchase to make and book to settle into on an otherwise miserable sick day. Tom Bergeron takes
Christi
Oct 10, 2010 Christi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should probably disclose that I attended a wedding about 15 years ago and Tom Bergeron was seated at my table. I found him to be witty, down to earth and very likeable. His book is much the same. His quick off the cuff quips are what makes Dancing with the Stars so fun. Terrific to read about a "celebrity" who isn't in rehab, on wife #6 or disfigured by plastic surgery.

Susan
Nov 16, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Maybe 3 1/2, this was a fun read, (other than the language - he has quite the mouth!) I was happy to learn more about this Hollywood icon, his interesting background, his more than 25 year so far marriage, how he uses meditation on a daily basis to help him stay grounded, his candid frankness about his weaknesses and challenges. It was also fun to hear how he rubs shoulders with the famous, but doesn't consider himself one of them, but many of them are still his best friends...huh.

The best part
Lil
Oct 30, 2015 Lil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Bergeron is one of those people who I love to watch on TV. Sweet, engaging, and an excellent TV host, he is able to embrace the silliness and cheesiness of some of the shows he is on (cough cough dancing with the stars cough), and yet he's witty, thinks fast on his feet, and always emotionally present for the contestants when they need him to be. So I was looking forward to reading this memoir, and I was not disappointed. It had all the charm and laughs that Tom brings to his shows, plus som ...more
David
Jul 28, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breezy, funny recap of his career as an actor, radio DJ, local TV talk show host, Hollywood Squares host, America's Funniest Home Videos host, and Dancing with the Stars host. Funny guy and seemingly nice. Devoted to his wife and two daughters--includes cute anecdotes about things like drawing cartoons for the girls starring them when they were little.

To the extent that you can say a chatty book like this has themes, a couple would be:

(a) role of serendipity in career development -- if I hadn't
Terrence
Dec 26, 2015 Terrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lighthearted peek into the life of one of America's most popular television hosts. Having grown up in Massachusetts' Merrimac Valley area, I enjoyed reading about how Tom got started on a radio station in Haverhill, MA.
Julie
Jan 26, 2016 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know of Tom Bergeron until Dancing With the Stars. I was quite surprised by all he has done. While this book was OK, it wasn't as witty as he comes across on TV.
Marilyn
I'm a Tom Bergeron fan, thanks to DANCING WITH THE STARS, so this was a fun read. And he wrote it himself, so kudos.
Tracy Amber
May 28, 2014 Tracy Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun easy read about one of my favourite TV hosts! Love the youtube links he inserts as well :)
Stefanie
Sep 15, 2010 Stefanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy, breezy, entertaining read, with a good message telegraphed by the title: How does one maintain an attitude of zen in this crazy world? What's interesting is how impersonal this book is: Tom focuses on his career, giving just the bare minimum peek at his private life (notable restraint for someone in "the biz"). He gives credit where it's due and takes hits where they're warranted too (Emmy hosting, anyone?). If we all went through life learning the lessons provided (rather than fighting ...more
Barb
Mar 25, 2015 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Hollywood-type memoir. He's a good family man, and that, to me, is commendable in his industry.
Christopher Obert
May 24, 2011 Christopher Obert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This is a remarkable autobiography written by Tom Bergeron. Tom not only tells us his story, he takes us into his home. The book is warm and welcoming and is a pleasant read. It begins with Tom’s first job working at WHAV in Haverhill, Massachusetts and brings us all the way up to Dancing with the Stars in Hollywood. What happens in between is the bulk of Tom’s story, the jobs, the people and the places that have influenced Tom’s life and career. Two thumbs up!
Marina
I've always like Tom Bergeron way back from his hosting stint on fX's Breakfast Time. Not much was said about that but that's ok. I liked following his career path and he didn't spend a lot of time on anything which I think is part of a good memoir--not getting too bogged down in one part that you get bored with it. I'm glad I read it and it's always a lot of fun to get some insider tidbits on shows you've seen.
Jackie
Really enjoyed reading this. He has a laid-back, engaging style - much like his hosting style. He doesn't take himself seriously and he seems like a really nice person all the way around. I enjoyed his stories and his take on how/why his life moved the way it did. And nice to see tidbits of his personal life as well. Thumbs-up... a fun read.
Katrina
I've been a huge fan of Tom ever since he started hosting America's Funniest Videos, and then Dancing With the Stars so I was super excited to read the book. Like Tom, it's full of funny stories that will make you laugh and some interesting dialogue to make you think. It's a good, fast read and really funny
Marcia
Jun 04, 2009 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of DWTS
Shelves: grown-up-books
I remember Tom Bergeron from his "People are Talking" days. This is a quick, breezy autobiography--he's striking while the fire is hot--not much here that will surprise. His message: stay in the moment, meditate to focus, go with the flow. (At least if you want to host live TV.)

Cindy Kleback
Feb 07, 2013 Cindy Kleback rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celeb-bios
I have always enjoyed watching Tom Bergeron on TV as he is quick with a quip. His book is a breezy read with a lot of heart and a good message: be present in the moment, and don't forget to breathe.
Karen Sofarin
Feb 27, 2015 Karen Sofarin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book so much more than I thought I would. I have always liked Tom Bergeron so much and his voice and likability come shining through. Lighthearted, entertaining and well written.
Kim
Apr 15, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute, funny, sweet. The chapter entitled "Captain Spasam" almost made me pee myself, partly due to that it's funny, partly because I've been there, done that, worn out the t-shirt.
Maureen
Mar 23, 2009 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was fantastic!!

Just like he was talking to you.........a quick read and very enlightening (even though he IS my brother!!)

I am very proud!!!
Hillary
it's a cute book, and an easy read. one of those hollywood memoirs that don't say anything mean, but tell entertaining anecdotes.
Dawn
Jan 01, 2013 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, 2013
Good, but not as funny as I thought it would be. It did seem more sincere than other funnier memoirs though, so perhaps it's a trade off?
Christine US
I'm not usually big on memoirs or autobiographies -- but this was an easy read. I like Tom Bergeron and loved Hollywood Squares.
Bill
Aug 26, 2009 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and humorous read about the unlikely rise of Tom Bergeron from a career in radio, then local TV and beyond.
Mel
Jun 30, 2013 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this book a while back, it made me laugh so hard. Anyone who likes a good laugh will find this funny.
Herb
Nothing really all that fun here. It was ok in spots, but that's all I can say about it.
Suzanna
Tom Bergeron's memoir of his TV work so far. "Don't forget to breathe." Excellent advice.
Carol
Jun 22, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, and about what I expected.
Heather
Mar 18, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read from a nice, funny guy.
Glenna
Sep 10, 2009 Glenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of humor and insights into Bergeron's life
  • Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests (Genreflecting Advisory Series)
  • Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good: The Madcap Business Adventure by the Truly Oddest Couple
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle
  • Outwitting the Gestapo
  • Doctor Who: Day of the Cockroach
  • Doctor Who: Darkstar Academy
  • I Am What I Am
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life from the Winner of The Apprentice
  • The Stout-Hearted Seven: Orphaned on the Oregon Trail (Sterling Point Books)
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Death
  • Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion
  • Do I Have to Say Hello? Aunt Delia's Manners Quiz for Kids and Their Grownups
  • Torchwood: Lost Souls
  • All in All: An Actor's Life On and Off the Stage
  • No Wonder My Parents Drank: Tales from a Stand-Up Dad
  • That's Funny, You Don't Look Buddhist: On Being a Faithful Jew and a Passionate Buddhist
  • Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel
Tom Bergeron was 17 when he became the youngest DJ ever at WHAV Radio, the local radio station in his hometown of Haverhill, Massachusetts. He worked his way up in radio and soon found himself hosting his own show, The Tom Bergeron Show, a late-night talk-comedy show that tripled ratings for the New Hampshire station on which it aired. In 1982 Bergeron added television to his plate, while still ho ...more
More about Tom Bergeron...