Start by marking “I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood” as Want to Read:
I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood

I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  26 reviews
He's one of the most ubiquitous men on television. Certainly the most calm, cool, and collected—the king of "off the cuff." And no one throws to a commercial better. Yes, Tom Bergeron is a Hollywood staple, and the role for which he is best known is . . . well . . . himself. But while he's a comforting presence to millions of people, cultivating this seemingly unshakeable ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by HarperOne (first published March 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!

I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood by Tom Bergeron - purchased as a Kindle book on March 13, begun and finished on March 18th.

Being a huge fan of America's Funniest Home Videos and (pausing to recollect the existence of and then remember it extra super fondly at the time that it was on before school) fx's Breakfast Time with Bob the Puppet, this was a very easy purchase to make and book to settle into on an otherwise miserable sick day. Tom Bergeron takes
I should probably disclose that I attended a wedding about 15 years ago and Tom Bergeron was seated at my table. I found him to be witty, down to earth and very likeable. His book is much the same. His quick off the cuff quips are what makes Dancing with the Stars so fun. Terrific to read about a "celebrity" who isn't in rehab, on wife #6 or disfigured by plastic surgery.

Breezy, funny recap of his career as an actor, radio DJ, local TV talk show host, Hollywood Squares host, America's Funniest Home Videos host, and Dancing with the Stars host. Funny guy and seemingly nice. Devoted to his wife and two daughters--includes cute anecdotes about things like drawing cartoons for the girls starring them when they were little.

To the extent that you can say a chatty book like this has themes, a couple would be:

(a) role of serendipity in career development -- if I hadn't
I'm a Tom Bergeron fan, thanks to DANCING WITH THE STARS, so this was a fun read. And he wrote it himself, so kudos.
Tracy Amber
A fun easy read about one of my favourite TV hosts! Love the youtube links he inserts as well :)
An easy, breezy, entertaining read, with a good message telegraphed by the title: How does one maintain an attitude of zen in this crazy world? What's interesting is how impersonal this book is: Tom focuses on his career, giving just the bare minimum peek at his private life (notable restraint for someone in "the biz"). He gives credit where it's due and takes hits where they're warranted too (Emmy hosting, anyone?). If we all went through life learning the lessons provided (rather than fighting ...more
Typical Hollywood-type memoir. He's a good family man, and that, to me, is commendable in his industry.
Christopher Obert
This is a remarkable autobiography written by Tom Bergeron. Tom not only tells us his story, he takes us into his home. The book is warm and welcoming and is a pleasant read. It begins with Tom’s first job working at WHAV in Haverhill, Massachusetts and brings us all the way up to Dancing with the Stars in Hollywood. What happens in between is the bulk of Tom’s story, the jobs, the people and the places that have influenced Tom’s life and career. Two thumbs up!
I've always like Tom Bergeron way back from his hosting stint on fX's Breakfast Time. Not much was said about that but that's ok. I liked following his career path and he didn't spend a lot of time on anything which I think is part of a good memoir--not getting too bogged down in one part that you get bored with it. I'm glad I read it and it's always a lot of fun to get some insider tidbits on shows you've seen.
Really enjoyed reading this. He has a laid-back, engaging style - much like his hosting style. He doesn't take himself seriously and he seems like a really nice person all the way around. I enjoyed his stories and his take on how/why his life moved the way it did. And nice to see tidbits of his personal life as well. Thumbs-up... a fun read.
I've been a huge fan of Tom ever since he started hosting America's Funniest Videos, and then Dancing With the Stars so I was super excited to read the book. Like Tom, it's full of funny stories that will make you laugh and some interesting dialogue to make you think. It's a good, fast read and really funny
Jun 04, 2009 Marcia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of DWTS
Shelves: grown-up-books
I remember Tom Bergeron from his "People are Talking" days. This is a quick, breezy autobiography--he's striking while the fire is hot--not much here that will surprise. His message: stay in the moment, meditate to focus, go with the flow. (At least if you want to host live TV.)

Cindy Kleback
I have always enjoyed watching Tom Bergeron on TV as he is quick with a quip. His book is a breezy read with a lot of heart and a good message: be present in the moment, and don't forget to breathe.
Karen Sofarin
I liked this book so much more than I thought I would. I have always liked Tom Bergeron so much and his voice and likability come shining through. Lighthearted, entertaining and well written.
Cute, funny, sweet. The chapter entitled "Captain Spasam" almost made me pee myself, partly due to that it's funny, partly because I've been there, done that, worn out the t-shirt.
It was fantastic!!

Just like he was talking to you.........a quick read and very enlightening (even though he IS my brother!!)

I am very proud!!!
it's a cute book, and an easy read. one of those hollywood memoirs that don't say anything mean, but tell entertaining anecdotes.
Good, but not as funny as I thought it would be. It did seem more sincere than other funnier memoirs though, so perhaps it's a trade off?
Christine US
I'm not usually big on memoirs or autobiographies -- but this was an easy read. I like Tom Bergeron and loved Hollywood Squares.
Light and humorous read about the unlikely rise of Tom Bergeron from a career in radio, then local TV and beyond.
When I read this book a while back, it made me laugh so hard. Anyone who likes a good laugh will find this funny.
Nothing really all that fun here. It was ok in spots, but that's all I can say about it.
Tom Bergeron's memoir of his TV work so far. "Don't forget to breathe." Excellent advice.
A quick read, and about what I expected.
An entertaining read from a nice, funny guy.
Full of humor and insights into Bergeron's life
Tim Tango
Tim Tango marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
  • Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good: The Madcap Business Adventure by the Truly Oddest Couple
  • Outwitting the Gestapo
  • Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle
  • That's Funny, You Don't Look Buddhist: On Being a Faithful Jew and a Passionate Buddhist
  • Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life from the Winner of The Apprentice
  • Here We Go Again: My Life In Television
  • The Stout-Hearted Seven: Orphaned on the Oregon Trail (Sterling Point Books)
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Death
  • I Am What I Am
  • Lost Souls (Torchwood Audio Drama, #1)
  • How I Slept My Way to the Middle: Secrets and Stories from Stage, Screen, and Interwebs
  • Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Ace of Cakes: Inside the World of Charm City Cakes
  • America the Edible: A Hungry History, From Sea to Dining Sea
  • The Book of Heroic Failures: The Official Handbook of the Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain
  • No Wonder My Parents Drank: Tales from a Stand-Up Dad
Tom Bergeron was 17 when he became the youngest DJ ever at WHAV Radio, the local radio station in his hometown of Haverhill, Massachusetts. He worked his way up in radio and soon found himself hosting his own show, The Tom Bergeron Show, a late-night talk-comedy show that tripled ratings for the New Hampshire station on which it aired. In 1982 Bergeron added television to his plate, while still ho ...more
More about Tom Bergeron...
I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can! I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can! Conspiracy: Earth Dancing Lessons: How I Found Passion and Potential on the Dance Floor and in Life Dancing Lessons: How I Found Passion and Potential on the Dance Floor and in Life