Start by marking “The 50 Best Sights in Astronomy and How to See Them: Observing Eclipses, Bright Comets, Meteor Showers, and Other Celestial Wonders” as Want to Read:

Fred Schaaf is one of the most experienced astronomical observers of our time. For more than two decades, his view of the sky--what will be visible, when it will be visible, and what it will look like--has encouraged tens of thousands of people to turn their eyes skyward.
--David H. Levy, Science Editor, Parade magazine, discoverer of twenty-one comets, and author of Starry
Published July 1st 2007 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about The 50 Best Sights in Astronomy and How to See Them

Pete daPixie
Jan 14, 2011 Pete daPixie rated it liked it
Shelves: stardust
Published in 2007, Fred Schaaf's 'The 50 best sights in Astronomy' is, I think, purely for the practical astronomer. I think I've had most of these sights in my telescopic eyepiece over a period of the last 30 years, but Schaaf's enthusiastic text still makes enthralling reading for me.
The book is divided into sections of increasing viewing power, from naked eye, binocular and on into higher power telescopic fields.
Sure, there are better books around for the absolute beginner, as there are for t
Grace
Jul 01, 2015 Grace rated it really liked it
I accessed this book through my local public library.
This book is a very good field guide to the night sky in North America. I believe the title should be changed to reflect that it is much more geographically specific than it's current title suggests.
These sights are well documented, and stunningly described with enough details and tips to make sure that if you look for it, you can find it. I liked the organization by field-of-view; it created a much easier scale of reference for me to think
Devynne
Jun 03, 2013 Devynne rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
this book wasn't what I thought it would be. I picked it up to learn more on stars and to see what I can see in yhe sky since I live in yhe country but it barly even gives you facts
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Nuno
Nuno rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2013
Bill Chadwick
Bill Chadwick rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Josh David Miller
Josh David Miller rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Kingspence
Dec 28, 2010 Kingspence rated it did not like it
This book sucks.
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Richard Bartlett
Richard Bartlett rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
.: .A.E.R.
.: .A.E.R. marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2009
Deanna
Deanna added it
Nov 10, 2009
Ben
Ben added it
Aug 31, 2011
Christi Balisti
Christi Balisti marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2012
Uroš
Uroš marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2012
Jose
Jose added it
Apr 27, 2012
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 22, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
Kerri Belgrave
Kerri Belgrave is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2013
Andreia
Andreia marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
William Watts
William Watts marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
David
David added it
Jul 16, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Gina
Gina added it
Oct 01, 2015
Frank
Frank added it
Oct 22, 2015
Newtoni
Newtoni marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Anna-pines
Anna-pines marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Christian Bender
Christian Bender marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2016