The Me Nobody Knew: A Story of Triumph for All Girls (Single Titles): A Story of Triumph for All Girls

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  11 reviews
At 13, Shannon McLinden found her world collapsing. She woke up one morning hating her parents, her body, her friends -- her life. She wanted to die. What went wrong?
Published March 1st 1998 by Turtleback Books

Chrystal
This is a book I have read over and over again. It's fantastic.. the things McLinden talks about are so insane you wouldn't believe they actually happened to her. She is an incredible writer and an incredible survivor. I first read this book in the seventh grade and I've read many times since [in multiple copies might I add.. thank you for losing my second copy Mrs. Minich:]
Courtney
the me nobody knew
Shannon McLinden
First Avenue Editions, an imprint of Lerner Publishing, 1998, 140 pages, $5.95
Non-fiction, Self-esteem, Depression, Teenage Girls, Achievement, Adolescents
ISBN # 0822526883

Shannon is a 13-year-old girl who is suffering with depression, eating disorders, social inequality, and everything else that could be problematic for a teenage girl. She almost attempts suicide and engages in other self-destructive behaviors. She alienates herself from her family. She sees th...more
Julia
So far I like this book.

Those so called "friends" of hers act exactly how my friends do/did.

It's just good to know that other people have been through what I have when dealing with not so good people. Can't wait to read more to see how her relationships with them develop.

She was a complete brat to her parents and even if she did get straight A's she seemed to completely lack any common sense.

Kids like her make me angry. She has a great life but dwells on stuff that is her fault. Sad really. I...more
Erika
I didn't really understand the plot of this book because to put it simply, nothing really happened. The main character Shannon was depressed about her life for no particular reason, as she was popular, had many friends, and had a secure home with parents who loved her. However, towards the end, the motivational "it gets better" messages were quite inspirational. Knowing that many teens are in Shannon's position of being depressed and suicidal, this book would definitely help them in getting thei...more
Lenae
About a teen girl who was always depressed for absolutely no reason. Finally she realized after a night of boozing with the friends and almost stepping in front of a moving car, that she'd clean up her act. One day she woke up happy and continued life in a better tune.
Chantal
I loved this book. It shows the true realities of trying to fit in and what some girls will do to actually fit in. I see girls like this all the time...its so sad. but this book not only shows her hitting rock bottom but picking herself up agian
Diana
Good story.

Honest, and (at least to me) not infused with optimistic lies about the world.

Her opinions on the world, were quite true, and I admired how she was now after all that trouble.

Definite recommendation.
Kali Williams
Super good book, I couldn't put it down I related to it and it also gave me a new perspective on things and motivated me to seek help with my recovery. I'd recommend it to anyone going through this sort of thing!
Jill
Easy to read with themes that teens can relate to, but the exploration of the themes is so superficial that most teens would probably be disappointed. I know I was. Great potential, squandered.
Maria
This was an ok book i liked how she got better and everything but i felt that it was to rushed.
Carolyn
Great book for my 12 yo to read!
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Jazmine
Jazmine marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jennifer Greene
Jennifer Greene marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Jen Seth
Jen Seth marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Kearra Maynard
Kearra Maynard marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Mar 02, 2014
klo
klo marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
K.
K. added it
Jan 26, 2014
Erin White
Erin White marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014