Start by marking “If I Never See You Again (Jo Birmingham #1)” as Want to Read:
If I Never See You Again (Jo Birmingham #1)

If I Never See You Again (Jo Birmingham #1)

The Detective

Meet Jo Birmingham. Single mum, streetwise detective, and spiky as hell. Recently promoted, she is one of the few female detective superintendents on the Dublin police force. But with a failed marriage behind her and two young sons at home, trying to strike the right work-life balance has run her ragged.

The Serial Killer

When Jo identifies the missing link in a
Published April 29th 2010 by Transworld

To ask other readers questions about If I Never See You Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Never See You Again

Marleen
Jun 16, 2011 Marleen rated it really liked it
No. 1 Jo Birmingham mystery

Jo Birmingham is a police detective in Dublin. She's also a mother and separated from her husband who also happens to be her superior in work.
When Jo finds the body of a horrifically murdered prostitute it doesn't take her long to link it to other recent murders. What she discovers is not pretty. It appears they're looking for someone with a religious obsession, someone acting out an eye for or an eye, a tooth for a tooth.....
With the body count rising the investigatio
Garrett
Aug 25, 2014 Garrett rated it it was ok
For me this is an average read. The story isn't bad and the pace of the book moves along nicely. It's the story of a serial killer in Dublin and the personal life of the detective investigating the crime. I found the writing a little basic at time's hence the two star's and also some error's in the book. I know it's a fictional story but I find it annoying in books that use real places that give error's about the real places.

(view spoiler)
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
Well, I have to be honest and say I was really surprised. This book was recommended to me via Facebook from somebody who was currently reading this book. I fancied somebody new and realised that it has only taken me a few days to finish this and throughly enjoyed it.

I loved the setting in Ireland as it seems lately a lot of crime books I have been reading have been set in London. Niamh's writing is pretty good too. It's an easy to read style, nothing too taxing and complicated but enough to draw
Beth Kemp
Sep 12, 2011 Beth Kemp rated it liked it
This is a complex mystery with an interesting lead character. It's relatively unusual to come across a female lead detective with children, although of course a complex and often unhappy love life is de rigueur with crime-novel-cops. I warmed to Jo Birmingham and her struggles to be taken seriously amongst the boys in blue, and was drawn into the story through her character. She has an ongoing crusade - to get Separate Legal Representation for rape victims - which is mentioned throughout the ...more
Buchdoktor
Liamh O'Connors Ermittlerin Jo Birmingham hat den Fall eines nekrophilen Serienmörders aufzuklären, der die Leichen seiner Opfer so drapiert, dass man ihn für einen religiösen Fanatiker halten könnte. Verknüpft sind die Taten mit dem Schicksal eines Kindes, das durch eine Entführung traumatisiert wurde. In der Figur der Ermittlerin begegnet dem Leser eine junge Frau, die sich als allein erziehende Mutter eines Pubertierenden und eines Einjährigen durchschlägt und deren ohnehin schwierige ...more
Jerome Parisse
Apr 23, 2011 Jerome Parisse rated it liked it
Jo Birmingham’s life is far from easy. She has recently split up from her long-term husband, has two kids to look after including a two-year old, works long hours for the Dublin police, and is in charge of a murder investigation that others would love to have. Oh, and did I mention that her ex-husband is also her boss and now living with his secretary? If it all sounds too much, just wait till you read the book. A serial killer is on the loose, and Birmingham needs to quickly find out the link ...more
Steph Dinning
Sep 19, 2015 Steph Dinning rated it really liked it
Was a little slow to start or slow for me to get into,either way it was a slow boiler but gradually picked up the pace and I enjoyed it. It didn't have me rushing to read the next chapter etc but it was a good story with a good plot,plenty of twists and turns and possible killers.
It leads you down several paths to who the killer is and I never guessed which is the best kind of crime novel I believe.
I really liked the lead role of Jo Birmingham and she was just a normal working mum at the end of
Alida arabelle
Oct 19, 2015 Alida arabelle rated it it was amazing
Katharina
Jul 16, 2012 Katharina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Empfehlen kann ich "Opferspiel" thriller-lesenden Frauen, aber auch Männern (!), die sich für ein Setting in Dublin, Irland interessieren und etwas über religiös motivierte Morde, Bandenkriege und politische Machenschaften im Hintergrund lesen möchten. Übrigens: "Opferspiel" hält sich bei der Beschreibung von "Gemetzel" zurück, hier können auch zart-besaitete LeserInnen zugreifen. (Wer allerdings schon die Beschreibung von Tatorten und deren Leichen nicht ertragen kann, wird auch bei ...more
Sally Bursnoll
Aug 04, 2015 Sally Bursnoll rated it liked it
This one was a hard one to finish! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it; the continuous twists and turns, the mystery and the whole 'whodunit' theme running throughout...it just kinda draaaagged. There were some parts which were really boring and that was when I flicked forward a few pages, not great! I love the fact that the main character is woman though who has so much going on, from the messy relationship with her ex to living her career, it warms the feminist part in me.

Its an easy read, just
Sally Clements
May 09, 2011 Sally Clements rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With her hugely in-depth knowledge of the Irish crime scene, I might have expected this debut to be meticulously researched and written, and I wasn't disappointed.
Where Niamh really scores though, is on the writing. Her characters are so real they grip the reader from the start. I couldn't put this book down once I started it, and the pace built and built, keeping me totally in it's grip.
I love Jeffry Deaver, and the early Patricia Cornwell books, and am delighted to have found a fabulous new a
Mary Lou
Oct 25, 2014 Mary Lou rated it it was ok
Shelves: irish-crime
I wavered between 2 and 3 for my rating here. It was perfectly readable- you can't skim a crime novel no matter how tempting. But the plot, while a good idea came over as muddled and the conclusion a bit random, the efforts of the police team directionless, and soap box things leave me cold
Audrey
Drawn in by the awesome main character and her inability to brush her hair or give a flying fazoodle, plus the interesting case and lots of great city, mildly puzzled by two POV bobbles, then totally betrayed by the WTF ending.

Still going to read book 2, dang it.
Tracey
Apr 08, 2011 Tracey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
really good crime novel. it kept me guessing all the way to the end. Characters interesting and it makes me want to read another novelk with them in!
Vartika
Sep 21, 2012 Vartika rated it really liked it
Patrick Jones
Patrick Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Silvana Hallett
Silvana Hallett rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2016
Susan Dougherty
Susan Dougherty rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2012
Beanbox
Beanbox rated it liked it
May 09, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2011
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Stefanie Weide
Stefanie Weide rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Nicola
Nicola rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2011
Squeakerkelly
Squeakerkelly rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2011
Lorna Peel
Lorna Peel rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Labhaoise Seoighe
Labhaoise Seoighe rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Niamh O'Connor is one of Ireland's best known crime authors. She is a crime reporter with the Sunday World, Ireland's biggest selling Sunday newspaper, for whom she has written five true crime books which were given away with the newspaper. Her job, in which she interviews both high profile criminals and their victims means she knows the world she is writing about.
More about Niamh O'Connor...

Jo Birmingham (4 books)
  • Taken (Jo Birmingham #2)
  • Too Close for Comfort (Jo Birmingham #3)
  • Blink (Jo Birmingham #4)