Start by marking “Garfield Gains Weight: His Second Book” as Want to Read:
Garfield Gains Weight: His Second Book

Garfield Gains Weight: His Second Book (Garfield #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  3,995 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
He sleeps late and wakes up grouchy. He hates joggers, beats up dogs, and shreds his owner. He's cynical, witty, urbane, and sometimes downright mean. But best of all, he's back, better than ever, to delight cat-lovers and cat-haters alike.
Published November 27th 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Garfield Gains Weight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garfield Gains Weight

Stephen
3.5 stars. Before Calvin and Hobbes and The Farside, Garfield was the gold standard for humorous comic strips. This is book two of the Garfied collection and the beginning of a where Garfield really hits his stride. Recommended!!
Christyn
Garfield Gains Weightis the second Garfield book. I liked it, but it wasn't as good as the first one in my opinion. There was a lot of eating and laziness (but this is Garfield). Garfield and Odie's antics are always fun, we are also introduced to Liz in this book (I like Liz). There is also Garfield's brief career as the "Caped Avenger" which was fun. Their are some funny and amusing strips that I really liked but a lot more that were just kind of repetitive. Still, a fun book when you need a l ...more
Jimmie
Mar 07, 2015 Jimmie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Whaaaat? Jon used to have a roommate? Named Lyman? And Odie belonged to this Lyman? And not to Jon? And for whatever reason Lyman had a walrus face? Okay, not really a walrus face. Just a really strangely drawn mustache. But still... mind = blown.

And, at least judging from the frequency with which each food appeared, Garfield loved roast chicken more than lasagna!??!!? The very foundation of my childhood is crumbling! All the truths that I held dear are turning out to be lies! Thanks, Obama!
Jen
Feb 04, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite strip cartoon when I was a kid, and remains in the top 5, definitely. Davis just perfectly captures the wonderful insanity that is cats, and Jon is so lovely and pathetic. This collection is one of the early ones, with Jon first meeting Liz, Odie's character not terribly fleshed out, and the illustrations being slightly different than later version. Still the lovable sarcasm of the lasagna-eating fiend, though. Definitely good for a quick laugh.
Albertz
Oct 23, 2012 Albertz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome, although it is a comic, the author makes it funny, I love when Garfield get chubby and shoot tennis balls, what is also funny is he also gets obese and cannot walk. It is a hilarious comic book and I like the author or illastsratour
Linda
Jun 30, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished the second Garfield book. I am making my way through them again. It has been a long time since I read the series so I decided to go through them again. That is the great thing about working at a library, most or all of the series is readily available!
Erin
Sep 25, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dudes
Jim Davis is a fucking crazy genius. He draws Garfield with bold strokes and a bolder heart. Garfield can be a dick to Odie and Nermal, but can you blame him? Jon's kind of a puss.
Benjamin
Nov 08, 2016 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so funny especially when Jon has a alarm clock in his pants!
Andy Hickman
The farcical cat that lacks discipline ... and doesn't care.
Conan Tigard
Nov 17, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garfield Gains Weight is only the second book of Garfield comics. Garfield looks more like a cat than he does in today's comics. Lyman isn't in as many of the strips as he was in Garfield at Large, but his dog Odie is always around. This book introduces Liz the Veterinarian and Garfield takes an instant dislike to her . . . as he probably would with any vet. Jon immediately falls for Liz and asks her out many times, only to be shot down miserably each time. Poor Jon.

As with a most of Garfield co
Mark Austin
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Dolly
Jul 23, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Garfield comics
I got hooked on Garfield books as a child. They were some of my favorite presents.

I reread them often and laughed like crazy at the antics of Jon Arbuckle, his crazy cat, and his friends and family. I got all of the books as soon as they were published until the tenth one and then I tired of it and moved on to something else.

April 2016 update: Our girls have really gotten into reading these books and love Garfield as much as I did back then. We really love to compare the illustrations and humo
The Badger
Jul 08, 2016 The Badger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was addicted to these as a kid. I drove my parents insane following them around demanding, "Read this one!" I'm sure that my Dad regretted owning a bookstore. As an adult, I foster cats, and every foster kitten has a picture taken in a box labeled "to: Abu Dhabi." None of my two personal cats are obese, but one is especially adept at tossing chihuahuas off furniture using only one paw...
HeavyReader
I loved Garfield when I was in middle school. I had several of these collections, and I read them all again and again.

I'm giving three stars based on the way I felt about the book when I read it the first time (or should I say the first 10 to 15 times?). Now I can't imagine reading any one of these books one time.

I can barely believe how many of these collections exist.
Galinda
Jan 29, 2012 Galinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read all of Jim Davis's Garfield books back in 4th grade where every week I would take out another Garfield cartoon book and just read it. I thought that they were funny and hilarious, and I absolutely loved reading them. Garfield is just so sarcastic and funny, and I love that it was in cartoon form.
To this day Garfield is still one of my favorites.
Bryan
Dec 09, 2008 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it say about the life of a lazy cat and how lazy this cat can get in trouble and how his owner be so blind with this cat, I also like the dog in this story, it was very entreteinent to see how the cat just ate and sleep all day.
Goldbug2
Tara
I love all Garfeilds!

I only added this book because I couldn't find Garfield hits big time 25th book
Jessica
Nov 06, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Davis has created a great series with Garfield (do I dare admit that I still pick up my son's copies?).
Jeffry
Mar 29, 2012 Jeffry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You read one garfield book you've read them all. Jim Davis has been mining the same worked out claim for so many years he's just pulling up dirt now.
Tara Calaby
Aug 28, 2013 Tara Calaby rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-strip, humour, pets
Garfield is second only to Footrot Flats when it comes to my most-loved comic strips, and even then, it's only by a smidgeon.
Robert
Dec 12, 2007 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in third grade this was the best. book. ever.

It still might be.

Garfield is a cat.

And he is fat.

Whoah . . . awesome.
Katsumi
Jul 07, 2012 Katsumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is probably the best Garfield collection assembled. Mr Davis is comfortable with his fat cat and the jokes are fresh.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 Jaime Contreras rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was funnier than the first book because of the jokes and drawings. I am amazed I still can laugh at this. This tells me it is either clever writing or I have not grown up.
Rena Sherwood
One of the best of the Garfield series. I particularly liked the way Garfield looks in this time period. Our family read our paperback copy so much it fell apart.
Mikana
Sep 02, 2015 Mikana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garfield was always my favourite growing up, so perhaps I'm biased. but I loved these books and still read them now and again for a laugh.
Cameron
Jan 29, 2013 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good thing about Garfield is that I can always count on it for a good laugh. Jim Davis does a great job of making all of his Garfield books a worthwhile read, and this one is no exception.
Slicky
Aug 06, 2016 Slicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest compilations of Garfield cartoons from the fabled "fat jokes are still okay" period of western civilization.
Mariana
Oct 01, 2014 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
I love cats so is obviously that I would like this book. I like Garfield and the way he sees the world.
readingJimmy
readingJimmy rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2012
  • Wiener Dog Art
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Tintin in the New World
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1959-1962
  • FoxTrot Beyond a Doubt
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • She Started It!
  • The Dog Is Not a Toy: House Rule #4
  • Our Mutts: Five (Mutts, #5)
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • You Can Be the Stainless Steel Rat
James Robert "Jim" Davis is an American cartoonist who created the popular comic strip Garfield. Other comics that he has worked on are Tumbleweeds, Gnorm Gnat, Slapstick, and a strip about Mr. Potato Head.

Jim Davis was born in Fairmount, Indiana, near Marion, where he grew up on a small farm with his father James William Davis, mother Anna Catherine (Carter) Davis, brother Dave, and 25 cats. Davi
More about Jim Davis...

Garfield (1 - 10 of 66 books)
  • Garfield at Large: His First Book (Garfield #1)
  • Garfield Bigger Than Life (Garfield #3)
  • Garfield Weighs In (Garfield, #4)
  • Garfield Takes the Cake (Garfield #5)
  • Garfield Eats His Heart Out (Garfield Classics #6)
  • Garfield Sits around the House (Garfield, #7)
  • Garfield Tips the Scales (Garfield, #8)
  • Garfield Loses His Feet (Garfield Classics #9)
  • Garfield Makes It Big (Garfield, #10)
  • Garfield Rolls On (Garfield Classics, #11)