Eating Up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa

Eating Up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Fort examines Italy through its food and the people who produce it. He discovers a land where regional differences are still alive and uncovers the rich connection between history, tradition, and cuisine. The enticing sum of these parts--the food, producers, ingredients, consumers, and eating occasions--is nothing less than a contemporary portrait of the country.
Published October 4th 2006 by Centro Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Eating Up Italy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Up Italy

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggAshes In The Trevi Fountain by NeniLemon Tart by Josi S. KilpackAnt Egg Soup by Natacha Du Pont de BieAmazing Lemonade Recipes To Thirst For! by Amber Richards
Cooking the Books
22nd out of 30 books — 5 voters
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael PollanCurry by Lizzie CollinghamEat Move Sleep by Tom Rath
Books about Food
32nd out of 125 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Zanna
The food journalist weaves northward over Italy, feasting as he goes, relying on the friendliness and hospitality of the people he meets, despite limited Italian. His account of diverse sausages and endless pasta courses is lightly seasoned with reflections on Italy's changing agricultural and political landscape, as well as amusing mishaps and hair-raising struggles with traffic, and of course, recipes for the dishes he savours along the way.

Fort paints himself as a slightly buffoonish glutton,...more
bookyeti
Bella! Bella!

Matthew Fort’s infatuation for all things edible and Italian are wonderfully palpable in this gastronomic treasure. Heady and sumptuous as a fine red wine, Eating Up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa — part travel memoir, part specialty recipe book — recounts Fort’s journeys all over the stunning Italian countryside, while lavishly showcasing each region’s own unique culinary “nuances”.

Italy’s romance and mystique lay in its beautiful language, hearty people, culture, fascinating history…an...more
Amanda
This is the actual review I wrote for TCM Reviews

I have never read a book that made me hungry until I read Eating up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa by Matthew Fort. Eating up Italy is an entertaining and fast paced read about Fort’s travels from the southernmost tip of the mainland of Italy to the northernmost tip. What makes this different from other travelogues I have read is that Fort focuses on the food he eats along the way to truly understand the country. Eating up Italy is full of rich descrip...more
Amy
Caught somewhere between a travelogue and a food diary, I didn't find that this book succeeded in either. Every time the author began telling an interesting story about the food or the people he met, he abruptly moved on. I also found it hard to imagine that someone could travel through Italy and find so many meals he disliked (not to mention comparing the food to British food, and somehow the British food coming out on top?!).

Trying to do too much, visit too many cities in a short period of ti...more
Devina
I couldn't finish this book; it utterly bored me. I wasn't inspired to know more about Italian food at all. It simply lacked character.
Carrie
I've been reading a lot of food-related books lately, and while I enjoyed this, and Matthew Fort's tour of Italy, it wasn't as good as some of the others I've been reading.

However, that being said, I do have several pages of recipes dog-eared to try at a later date, and I'm looking forward to reading his book about his food travels in Sicily.

If you want to know more about the various food regions of Italy, I would recommend picking up a copy of this book. And should we ever make to to a tour o...more
Paperback Percy London
Man approaching post middle-age approaches apocalypse of old age.

Too much meat and not enough motor in my opinion. I'm kind of jealous of him tho' cos he did such an amazing trip.

If your zeal is more Vespa than veal I'd check out Peter Moore's Room with a View
Judy
An interesting travel book by a cookery writer who sought out people producing various specialist foods by traditional methods, and has largely painted a picture of a rural way of life which is dying out. I didn't find many of the recipes particularly appealing, though, even though I love Italian food - rather a lot of offal seems to feature!
Cherie
D Not very good. Had so much potential, but you hear too many disgusting meat descirptions, shallow character descriptions, his English humour just isn't cutting it, I didn't have any empathy for him. The recipes included are a nice touch, though I'd never make any of them.
Melissa
Jun 04, 2007 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love to eat
Full of great recipes and interesting information about the origins of Italian foods. The writer has a curiosity that pays off for the reader. If you like to eat, you will find this a super easy, fun summer read.
Kathleen
this was a wonderful travel/food book - I'm getting his next one that details his travels through Sicily
Cazza
Read it while in Italy and felt the moment completely captured through this book. He got it so right.
Karen Butman
Karen Butman is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Yosippa
Yosippa marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Kathleen Flinn
Kathleen Flinn marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Ari Pettit
Ari Pettit marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Elizabeth Rittenhouse
Elizabeth Rittenhouse marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Kasia
Kasia marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Magdalena ☮
Magdalena ☮ marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
KatyaR
KatyaR marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons Słodki jak miód, kwaśny jak cytryny Cooking by Numbers: From eating alone to the more the merrier - inspired ideas for any occasion Market Kitchen Cookbook Nigel Haworth's Obsession