Start by marking “Eating Up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa” as Want to Read:
Eating Up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa

Eating Up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa

Fort examines Italy through its food and the people who produce it. He discovers a land where regional differences are still alive and uncovers the rich connection between history, tradition, and cuisine. The enticing sum of these parts--the food, producers, ingredients, consumers, and eating occasions--is nothing less than a contemporary portrait of the country.
Published October 4th 2006 by Centro Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Eating Up Italy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Up Italy

bookyeti
Nov 02, 2008 bookyeti rated it really liked it
Bella! Bella!

Matthew Fort’s infatuation for all things edible and Italian are wonderfully palpable in this gastronomic treasure. Heady and sumptuous as a fine red wine, Eating Up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa — part travel memoir, part specialty recipe book — recounts Fort’s journeys all over the stunning Italian countryside, while lavishly showcasing each region’s own unique culinary “nuances”.

Italy’s romance and mystique lay in its beautiful language, hearty people, culture, fascinating history…an
Zanna
Jul 30, 2013 Zanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, italy
The food journalist weaves northward over Italy, feasting as he goes, relying on the friendliness and hospitality of the people he meets, despite limited Italian. His account of diverse sausages and endless pasta courses is lightly seasoned with reflections on Italy's changing agricultural and political landscape, as well as amusing mishaps and hair-raising struggles with traffic, and of course, recipes for the dishes he savours along the way.

Fort paints himself as a slightly buffoonish glutton,
Peter
Feb 07, 2016 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Happiness depends on sound sleep, orderly bowels and regular meals.”

Travelogues are not really my usual reads as I find most of the author's who write them are just not as funny as they and their publishers seem to think they are but as I happened to find this book on a train and as such cost me nothing I decided to give it a go. I am rather pleased that I did especially as it centred predominantly about food and Italian food in particular. Yummy.

Fort's leisurely gastronomic journey around Ital
Amanda
Jul 12, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it
This is the actual review I wrote for TCM Reviews

I have never read a book that made me hungry until I read Eating up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa by Matthew Fort. Eating up Italy is an entertaining and fast paced read about Fort’s travels from the southernmost tip of the mainland of Italy to the northernmost tip. What makes this different from other travelogues I have read is that Fort focuses on the food he eats along the way to truly understand the country. Eating up Italy is full of rich descrip
Amy
Feb 01, 2010 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: food-non-fiction
Caught somewhere between a travelogue and a food diary, I didn't find that this book succeeded in either. Every time the author began telling an interesting story about the food or the people he met, he abruptly moved on. I also found it hard to imagine that someone could travel through Italy and find so many meals he disliked (not to mention comparing the food to British food, and somehow the British food coming out on top?!).

Trying to do too much, visit too many cities in a short period of ti
C.G.
Jun 15, 2014 C.G. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-book-list
I've been reading a lot of food-related books lately, and while I enjoyed this, and Matthew Fort's tour of Italy, it wasn't as good as some of the others I've been reading.

However, that being said, I do have several pages of recipes dog-eared to try at a later date, and I'm looking forward to reading his book about his food travels in Sicily.

If you want to know more about the various food regions of Italy, I would recommend picking up a copy of this book. And should we ever make to to a tour o
Bernadet
Nov 21, 2015 Bernadet rated it it was amazing
Nl vertaling: Op een vespa door Italië - Een culinaire reis
Een boek dat je doet watertanden, omdat het bijna constant over eten gaat. Veel eten en lekker eten. En vriendelijke restauranthouders en kleine zelfstandigen die traditionele producten op ambachtelijke wijze en met veel passie blijven maken.
En ook al lijkt Italië en culinair paradijs, toch stoot hij er ook op slechte restaurants en middelmatige gerechten. En ook daar schrijft hij over.
Judy
Dec 31, 2007 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting travel book by a cookery writer who sought out people producing various specialist foods by traditional methods, and has largely painted a picture of a rural way of life which is dying out. I didn't find many of the recipes particularly appealing, though, even though I love Italian food - rather a lot of offal seems to feature!
John Weller
Apr 04, 2011 John Weller rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: two-wheels
Man approaching post middle-age approaches apocalypse of old age.

Too much meat and not enough motor in my opinion. I'm kind of jealous of him tho' cos he did such an amazing trip.

If your zeal is more Vespa than veal I'd check out Peter Moore's Room with a View
Melissa
Jun 02, 2007 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love to eat
Full of great recipes and interesting information about the origins of Italian foods. The writer has a curiosity that pays off for the reader. If you like to eat, you will find this a super easy, fun summer read.
Cherie
Dec 08, 2007 Cherie rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
D Not very good. Had so much potential, but you hear too many disgusting meat descirptions, shallow character descriptions, his English humour just isn't cutting it, I didn't have any empathy for him. The recipes included are a nice touch, though I'd never make any of them.
Kristel
Jul 05, 2015 Kristel rated it it was ok
a dull read.
Devina
Jul 30, 2014 Devina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I couldn't finish this book; it utterly bored me. I wasn't inspired to know more about Italian food at all. It simply lacked character.
Cazza
Aug 28, 2011 Cazza rated it really liked it
Read it while in Italy and felt the moment completely captured through this book. He got it so right.
Kathleen
Oct 08, 2009 Kathleen rated it liked it
this was a wonderful travel/food book - I'm getting his next one that details his travels through Sicily
Mrgowen
Mrgowen rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Catherine Bell
Catherine Bell rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Helga
Helga rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Toffeeapple
Toffeeapple rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Russell West
Russell West rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Rosalind Bartlett
Rosalind Bartlett rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Lyra
Lyra rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Helen
Helen rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2011
Jagoda
Jagoda rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2007
Tony Baker
Tony Baker rated it it was ok
May 31, 2016
Cassandra Vranjkovic
Cassandra Vranjkovic rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2017
Caterina
Caterina rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2010