Start by marking “The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles

The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  33 reviews
When a fire destroys her home and scatters her colony, Small Cat sets out to find the home of her ancestor, the Cat From the North, and to make her own name along the way.
At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.
Published February 1st 2011 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles

karen
at 17 "pages," this is one of the longest tor shorts i have found. being as long as it is, it also has the benefit of having several illustrations throughout, and who doesn't like pictures? like this one:

and this one:

i am a sucker for a good "epic animal adventure," particularly those involving cats. Tailchaser's Song, Rama, the Gypsy Cat, The Incredible Journey - all of these were favorites of mine when i was little, read over and over again and completely owning my wee heart.

this one definite
Stephen
3.0 stars. This story (as well as this review) is for all of my fellow CAT LOVERS out there ...
Photobucket
...just kidding... DOG LOVERS and ANIMAL LOVERS and just plain LOVERS are all welcome as well.
Whether you love SMART cats...

OR...NOT SO SMART cats.
Photobucket
Whether you love HAPPY cats...

OR...NOT SO HAPPY cats.
Photobucket
Whether you love cats who LOVE DOGS...

OR…cats who DON’T
Photobucket
Whether you love cats who LOVE PEOPLE...

OR...cats who DON’T.
Photobucket
Whether you love COMPASSIONATE cats...
Photobucket

OR...PSYCHO cats with GUNS.
Tadiana
A charming, quiet tale about finding your story, set in historic Japan. Cat lovers especially should enjoy it.

description

"This cat was the smallest of her litter of four. Her fur had been dark when she was born, but as she grew it changed to black with speckles of gold and cinnamon and ivory, and a little gold-colored chin. Her eyes were gold, like a fox’s." I fell in love with Small Cat as soon as I read that description.

This Small Cat shares a home with many aunts and cousins. They also share their fudok
Jess
I loved the imagery and the story of this one, but compared to some others I've read, it was very solid, but very middle of the pack. The best part were the beautiful illustrations

and this one:

and:

Gorge!!

This one was about a cat, which I don't like as much as I like the canine variety of domesticated animal, who loses her home and family and begins the search for a new home and family. I enjoyed reading about the cat's travels, the people and creatures she encounters, and the way she finds what
Maki (of To - Ra - Ba)
Japan. Cats. Stories passed from one person to another. The conclusion that everybody has their own stories. Gorgeous illustrations. What's not to love?

The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles reminded me a lot of Tailchaser's Song. It follows that same idea of cats having a rich cultural background. The bits of cat folklore were what I loved best about Tailchaser's Song, and this book is all about cats, their histories, and stories in general.

It's not a very long story. It's not a very action-packed
Saretta
Una racconto grazioso ambientato in Giappone che narra il viaggio di "Small Cat", una gattina senza nome costretta a abbandonare il luogo in cui aveva sempre vissuto.
Il cammino inizierà sulle tracce del fudoki della gatta, ovvero il ricordo delle gesta dei suoi memorabili antenati e la porterà a conoscere altre specie animali e gli esseri umani.
Il racconto è corredato da varie illustrazioni (lo stile di questo illustratore mi piace moltissimo) che accompagnano le avventure di Small Cat.
Karyn Kar Mun (Thy Evil Queen)
Set in Japan many years ago, this story began with a family of female cats living in the garden of an abandoned house, where they have all the comforts they could wish for - trees to climb, mice to hunt, streams of water, etc. These cats teach other the fudoki; the tales of their ancestors, passed down from generation to generation.

And in this little haven of a home, Small Cat was born. Under these circumstances, she lived a happy, idyllic childhood, but as with all happy idyllic things, it doe
Antebar
Un delizioso racconto che merita davvero la lettura: se amate i gatti, o comunque ne subite il fascino, non potrete non affezionarvi alla piccola Small Cat e seguirla (nel mio caso, con crescente preoccupazione!) nelle sue vicissitudini, che la vedranno alle prese con terremoti, incendi, rapimenti, lupi, orsi e orribili viaggi in barca. Tutto in nome del fudoki... more than just stories.
Jessie
A lovely short story about a small cat who tries to find "The North" after being separated from family.
Muratcan Şimşek
If you like cats, this is a must-read.
Natasha Primaditta
Okay, I did gave the 4 stars because I happen to like cat and Japan is always endlessly fascinating. Oh, and because Haruki Murakami, my favourite author also happen to musing over cat.

The story follows Small Neko's journey towards the North after a large earthquake hits her tranquil garden where she lives in with her fudoki, family of cats. Living with tales derived from another cats' tales of bravery, she didn't know that she finally on her way becoming one.

I think the story itself was prett
Tiamat_the_red
This book is lovely. I sought out Johnson's work because I'd read The Man Who Bridged the Mist and loved it. This story didn't disappoint. It had a similar dreamlike feel to it, not in that things felt unreal or absurd but like however things happened, they were happening as they should. There's drama, of course, but it feels inevitable. The phrase that keeps coming to mind is "This has all happened before and will happen again." That's probably not that helpful to potential readers so here's so ...more
Mike
Well, in the space of a few hours I just read two stories by the same author. If I'd read the Ponies one first I'd never have tried anything else by this author and gone out of my way to ignore everything they've ever done in their writing career. Instead I read the cat one first, this one here.

I'm somewhat unable to spend money at the moment for various reasons. This short story was so interesting and good I almost just blindly bought some ebook novel or short story collection to continue read
Simonfletcher
I enjoyed reading this story. It's the first I have read from Kij Johnson except for Ponies, and I enjoyed The Cat Who Walked A Thousand Miles much more out of the two. It is so clearly written, so well observed, and beautifully thought out from the eyes of a very adventurous little cat.

On thing I really love is that is is clear Kij understands cats. Little statements like how the best way to make a cat feel welcome in a strange place is to ignore it so it can explore its surroundings rang very
Riayl
Ooh, I really liked this one, very lovely. Beautiful illustrations. I thought the writing was very evocative; descriptive without being unwieldy and overbearing. Especially the scene at the end as she is heading into the new town. Very vivid, full color images of what Small Cat was seeing practically exploded in my mind, like I was remembering a picture I had seen or a place I had actually been to. I need to find more little gems like this one. It made me very happy!
Egg Head
Oct 19, 2014 Egg Head rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Egg by: goodreads
Shelves: animals
I came to read this after reading Kij Johnson's other story Ponies and this one was well much better then that one. The story was cute to see it through small cats eyes and seeing important story's of her family are to her and learning that others have there own story's to and making new one for herself. The art work in it is gorgeous as I'm sure you can tell from the cover or the other revews even.
Iset

The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles is a delightful short story for cat lovers. Small Cat, our eponymous heroine, sets out on an adventure after tragedy strikes. She questions, she doubts, she suffers hardships, and is mistreated. Along the way she never gives up, but keeps going towards her goal – whatever that may be. The historical setting sets the scene of the environment, but the plot remains firmly focused on Small Cat and her tale. The story is well written though short, and as a cat love
Amber Stone
I'm not sure what to rate this story. It's weird. I read Fudoki so long ago (Fudoki is a novel by the same author that came out in 2003) and the beginning of this is like a retelling of Fudoki only simplified for children. It's cute whereas Fudoki's beginning is heart-wrenching. Though the stories start the same and line up in a few spots again later, Small Cat and Kagaya-hime(the tortoiseshell cat from Fudoki/Small Cat) end up in very different places. It's interesting to see the very adult nov ...more
Megan
Classic! If you're a cat lover or just a lover of a classic folk tale w/teaching morals and a happy ending, this is for you.
Kit
"Heroic," indeed! After a fudoki like this one, I wish I had a cat to cuddle with.
Sam
What a great little adventure.
Gaea
loved this story. Read it super fast. Just a really lovely story. I read it to my kids in parts too. Interesting author, this is nothing like Fox Woman or Ponies.
hannah
I absolutely love this story about a cat that go the nord and finds a place that can be home. It's beautiful and inspiring and makes you smile.
Gail Mchugh
I really enjoyed this short read. Our cat had such character. I am hoping he and his little buddy were friends for a long time.
Chris
A wonderful short novella (with nice pictures) about a cat's quest to find her new home. Excellent story if you like cats.
Kimikimi
I really like the Japanese flavor of this story, and the cat narrative. A good find on Tor.com
For all fans of cats, a small story illustrated with nice pictures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Brimstone and Marmalade: A Tor.Com Original
  • First Flight
  • Dragons and Dreams: Bedtime Stories
  • In the Mean Time
  • Turn Here (Short Story)
  • Wings of Fire
  • The Paper Menagerie
  • Guardian Cats and the Lost Books of Alexandria
  • Once Upon a Time Machine
  • Miss Charity
Kij Johnson is an American writer of fantasy. She has worked extensively in publishing: managing editor for Tor Books and Wizards of the Coast/TSR, collections editor for Dark Horse Comics, project manager working on the Microsoft Reader, and managing editor of Real Networks. She is Associate Director for the Center for the Study of Science Fiction at the University of Kansas, and serves as a fina ...more
More about Kij Johnson...
The Fox Woman At the Mouth of the River of Bees: Stories Ponies Fudoki Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)