The Outside Man

The Outside Man

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The outside man is society lawyer Adam Shaw. A northerner in a southern town jealous of its secrets, he finds the dead body of his best friend's wealthy wife -- and his friend is missing.
In a world where wealthy people will stop at nothing to maintain a genteel image, Shaw must gamble his career, his marriage, and his very life in a passionate quest for the real murderer -...more
Published February 12th 1982 by Ballantine Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Outside Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outside Man

Sidney
Intricate, twisty and rewarding. This early Richard North Patterson immerses lawyer Adam Shaw in a case, which sends him on a voyage of personal discovery as he seeks to defend a friend on a murder charge. It's really a tale to two troubled families, double dealings and dark desires, a compact and well plotted tale.
Aries
Secondo romanzo in originale che leggo e di nuovo si tratta di un volume di Richard North Patterson mai tradotto in Italia (o meglio, pubblicato solo in un rarissimo giallo mondadori di parecchio tempo fa).Dopo "The Lasko Tangent", opera prima che, come avevo scritto, risultava estremamente gradevole ma indubbiamente acerba, questo secondo tentativo dell'autore risulta ancora più convincente; è una storia di segreti, di intolleranza, di chiusura e di mancanza di speranza, in cui l'avvocato Adam...more
Julie
I picked this book up at a fundraiser about a month ago. I have read RNP books before, but not often. I was a little concerned when I saw some the reviews for this one. The feelings were a little mixed, with some more recent reviews being rather harsh. But, the book was only 300 pages long, so I figured I could run through it pretty fast. I actually liked it. It was published in the very early 1980's. That is something you may want to keep in mind. Not because of outdated technology, but because...more
Colin
This book was one of two in the same item by this author. Having enjoyed the first one, I was looking forward to reading this. Sorry to say that it isn’t one that I would recommend. It concerns a lawyer, Adam, who finds one of his lady clients dead. One of the suspects is her husband, but Adam thinks otherwise and the book is about his attempts to find out whodunnit and why. He is not helped in this by a very stroppy policeman who appears to regard him with the same contempt as the husband, and...more
Roberta
This was a book, though well written, I was able to put down for periods of time - over & over again. I classify it, as others have, as a classic detective story.' Though there were twists & turns in 'who done it,' there was nothing that motivated me to want to keep turning pages into the wee hours. I only finished it out of sheer determination as it had been setting on my nightstand for far too long & it was time to move on.
Ida
I am just starting this book and am finding Patterson's writing style somewhat awkward which is a little annoying, but so far the storyline is keeping me entertained.
So, now that I am done, do I give it 3 stars for the exciting plot, or 2 stars for the unfortunate editing?
Adam Shaw, a business lawyer, does crazily stupid things trying to find the truth behind the murder of his good friend's wife.
SharlzG
Not as intricate as his later books, but an easy and addictive read. I admit I had guessed the outcome quite early, but once I got into it (first few chapters were annoying) I didn't want to put it down and lost track of time on more than one occasion. Not phenomenal, but a definite prelude to the depth and quality in his later works.
Caroline
Jun 12, 2011 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like legal/crime mysteries
This is a departure from the West Coast lawyer plot line of the Chris Paget series and East Coast political Kilcannon thrillers, and instead, the "outside man" is a northern lawyer in a southern town. In typical fashion, the author does not disappoint. First read 2/2/2006
UPDATE: Re-read this again 6/2011...still a great vacation read.
Amber
I really enjoyed this book! It was a bit of a slow start but kept me guessing up until the very end. Patterson managed to surprise me with the ending while leaving me wondering how I hadnt seen it coming. I eish there was a sequel however, I want to know what happened to Adam after tje end of this book.
Scout
Interesting murder mystery, but most interesting is the exploration of the ways in which couples try to do what's best for others and much later find out that they've made huge mistakes. I didn't like it that the solution to the mystery was revealed in a lengthy narrative at the end of the novel.
Mary Frances
I like this author, but this was his first book and I just think he had a very lot to learn. The writing is really strained and annoying, lots of overblown metaphors and fulsome descriptions. He's done much much better with his later legal/ political thrillers.
Jill
Sort of a wild goose chase. There were too many suspects & too much running around & investigating everyone. You didn't get to know the characters, even Adam.
Mike
Overly emotional soap opera. It is hard to read a book, for me at least, when you hate the main character. Even tougher if you dislike all the characters in a book.
Mary
Not his best book; published in the early 1980's so it may have been one of his earliest ones; it moved back and forth in time a lot and I kept getting confused.
Karschtl
My first book by this author, it's a bit dated. Although the story is a bit twisted it wasn't really gripping. I finished it nonetheless.
Barbara
Richard Patterson has a lot of intrigue in his books. This was no different. It was written in 1981 in the South.
Heather Lawrence
This is the only book by this author that has disappointed me - I usually find him 'unputdownable' but not this one.
Karen Cornish
I could not get invested in a single character in this book yet I wanted to know how it ended! Go figure!
Debi Stanley
Half way through this. With no interruptions I should wrap it up by dinnertime as it is an easy read.
Lesley Ann
I will read everything by Richard but this wasn't one of my favourites.
Melissa
Book #8 read in 2009

This was an interesting, albeit predictable novel.
Ray Charbonneau
His second book. He hadn't really developed his skills yet.
Debbie Phelps
Debbie Phelps marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kathy Mason
Kathy Mason marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • Critical Mass
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Laws Of Our Fathers (Kindle County, #4)
  • The Timothy Files
  • Fourth Procedure
  • From Cradle to Grave
  • McNally's Dare
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • No Witnesses (Boldt/Matthews, #3)
  • Beyond the White House: Waging Peace, Fighting Disease, Building Hope
  • High Crimes
Richard North Patterson is the author of fourteen previous bestselling and critically acclaimed novels. Formerly a trial lawyer, Patterson served as the SEC’s liaison to the Watergate special prosecutor and has served on the boards of several Washington advocacy groups dealing with gun violence, political reform, and women’s rights. He lives in San Francisco and on Martha’s Vineyard.
Macmillan.com...more
More about Richard North Patterson...
Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2) Silent Witness (Tony Lord #2) Eyes of a Child (Christopher Paget, #3) The Final Judgment Exile