Start by marking “A Scandalous Marriage (Marriage, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Scandalous Marriage (Marriage, #2)

A Scandalous Marriage (Marriage #2)

Leah Carrollton had dreams of meeting—and marrying—the perfect man. Then a scandalous affair ended in abandonment, and she left London rather than face her disgrace. With no one to turn to, Leah ran away to the country. Abruptly Devon Marshall, Viscount Huxhold, strides into her life, enveloping her in his strong embrace and offering her a chance to recapture what she'd lo ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Scandalous Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Scandalous Marriage

Bark's Book Nonsense
This book is about an impossible romance between two characters whose families are feuding ALA Romeo and Juliet. The two meet, instantly connect but are forced apart when their identities are revealed.

Fast forward to the future. Leah, the former debutante, is now heavily pregnant and apparently destitute having spurned Devon months earlier. Devon is on the way to visit his dying grandfather when he just so happens to stumble across Leah. Hmmmm, my oh my, what an unexpected coincidence! Leah fall
This is a bit of a twist on the Romeo and Juliet story. Devon Marshall, Viscount Huxhold, unknowingly falls in love with the daughter of his family's arch-enemy (some feud that goes back generations). It's twu-wuv, but events happen to tear the pair apart with some big misunderstanding that I can't even remember two days later. FF to the next year, and Devon's received a summons to London to attend his grandfather's deathbed, but his horse loses a shoe and lo-and-behold where does it happen but ...more
Not the best by the author, but the simplicity of the story is absolutely charming. The story is interesting enough to keep me up until late at night. However, it lack the swooning romance, which is a shame because I'm such a huge fan of ex-lovers (in this case, almost lovers) reunited storyline.
Different than the standard regency novel, which makes it a solid and entertaining read.
This is the second book in the "marriage " trilogy by Cathy Maxwell. This book focuses on Leah and Devon . The couple met at a ball and instantly felt a connection. Both were surprised to learn their families despised each other. So, they met in secret even though Leah was sure they would never marry. Her family had already arranged a marriage for her. Leah took desperate measures to keep from marrying. She found herself utterly alone and very pregnant.
Devon accidentally discovers Leah on his wa
Its one of the most beautiful books i've read. A very short story (not a novel). The characters with so many flaws, but yet so well justified to great levels. The leads had me hating them, adoring them, loving them, breaking for them. A very very simple love story. I agree with the romancereader reviewers of how much this short story potrayed.

Leah's delivery and Devan's feelings during that period was soo well written. The way he loved the baby was one of the greatest thing a hero could do. Agr
Feb 06, 2013 Lourdes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than the first one. I felt the story was fresh and original. I was very impressed with the characters and truly enjoyed their relationship. There were several elements that really hit home like their first meeting and the deep feelings they have for each other since very early on, without need of embelishment. I can only hope the next one is as good or maybe better. ...more
Really sweet story, just like the first in the series. No real bad guys (some scheming relations yes),a lack of communication is the real enemy here. It wasn't a pulizter prize winner but I couldn't put it down!
Feb 22, 2010 Gracefulshrimp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good time. I really liked this book. It is however part of a series. You don't really lose anything from not reading them in order, but I know people who do get upset if they read them out of order.

Mar 02, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, just loved it. Please read my full review at my blog:
Nov 06, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finding it hard to give stars to my romance books. I really did enjoy this book so 4 stars it is!
Mai Der
Aug 15, 2012 Mai Der rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, it was sooooo sweet. LOVED IT! I think everyone should read this if you like historical romances.
Jan 05, 2013 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an ok read but not too believable especially how the two main characters found each other again but hey I am a sucker for romance
Melody rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Sandra rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2008
Kimngan Tran
Kimngan Tran rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2015
Lori rated it really liked it
May 20, 2009
Savannah rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Carole rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2010
Jen rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Keila Bundy
Keila Bundy rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2009
Trisha rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Alma Mcmahan
Alma Mcmahan rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Camilla rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Keri rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2010
Joanna rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2013
Nicketa rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Kerensa rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2010
Lynn Townsend
Lynn Townsend rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2009
  • All About Seduction
  • Royal Weddings
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • Merely Married
  • Molly's Millions
  • Red Roses Mean Love
  • Dear Maggie
  • Gabriel's Bride
  • Compromised
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
  • After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3)
  • The Last Bachelor (Mistress, #1)
  • A Winter Scandal (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #1)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...

Marriage (3 books)
  • Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)
  • The Marriage Contract (Marriage, #3)

“Leah’s baby was nestled protectively in the crook of Devon’s arm.
In the golden firelight, his expression appeared grim. The neck of his shirt was open, the sleeves rolled up. With a soft gasp of mother love, Leah reached for her child. But Devon’s deep, silky voice stopped her.
“Who is the baby’s father? And do you love him?”
She froze. Her mouth went dry. Her heart pounded in her chest.
He waited.”