Start by marking “Thelonious Mouse” as Want to Read:
Thelonious Mouse

Thelonious Mouse

Thelonious the mouse has got so much rhythm in him he can't help letting it out. To his family's horror, he won't stop scatting and shimmying around the house, teasing deadly Fat Cat instead of collecting crumbs like the rest of them. But just as Thelonious's games become too dangerous, he find a most unexpected musical partner in this jaunty picture book with art and text ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Thelonious Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thelonious Mouse

Hilariously clever verse and illustrations! The author successfully conveyed in words the unstoppable, bee-boppable musical drive of Thelonious Monk, the infamous artist the mouse impersonates. The obvious punning around with the theme of the "fat cat", along with the way the mouse has to "scat" are just a few of the delights of this picture book.

For ages 5-9, and adults, too!
Jul 24, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and read it to my two Siamese kittens who clearly responded to the cadence and excitement of the musical flow.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 30, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Jazz brings together cat and mouse together. Good, lively fun.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Thelonious mouse is full of music and can’t stop the beat or his singing even when his life is in danger from fat cat. With the cat always on his heels, Thelonious must find a way to make music his salvation. Using a few great hiding spots that further develop his musical style, Thelonious sets to work making a musical convert out Fat Cat and his family.

The Loopy Librarian
Mar 20, 2012 The Loopy Librarian rated it really liked it
I won a signed copy of Thelonious Mouse in a drawing held by the author. I was drawn to the cover and the title because they implied sass and humor. I was not disappointed. The pictures are lively and the text is jazzy. Thelonious is a little bit too sure of himself and cocky, but he's a precocious character who knows no fear. The story of a musical mouse who just can't help himself winning over the cat through music is a good one. I would have preferred a little less telling and a little more s ...more
May 25, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
This is rather a cute story, and I am a sucker for musical stories, but it was just way too loooooooooong. I understand buildup, but the story was so long that the impact of the ending was lost.
Jun 01, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it
Thelonious Mouse is a story of a musically inclined young mouse who lives with his family in a cat occupied house. The title is a play on words referencing the late great jazz pianist Thelonius Munk.
Oct 25, 2011 Nielson rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Thelonious Mouse is a snazzy and jazzy mouse that can't help but move to the beat. Much to the displeasure of this parents, Thelonious Mouse tries to get Fat Cat to jump and jive with him as well. With some near cat-and-the-mouse games gone bad, Fat Cat finally becomes the Glad Cat and pings and sings with his newfound friends, the mice.
Perhaps I am off the beat, but this story fell flat for me. It was too cumbersome to read and the rhythm didn't flow well. The text was way too long to keep the
Dec 23, 2011 Treasure rated it really liked it
Not surprisingly, this story would do well in a jazz or music story time! Thelonious is a mouse that scats while Fat Cat sleeps, until the cat awakens and chases the mouse around the house. This becomes their routine, and eventually Thelonious, his brothers and sisters, and the cat all end up dancing to jazz music together.
The illustrations are cartoony, cheerful, and bright, and the book contains an awful lot of text for a picture book (the text, of course, is rhyming and rhythmic and full of s
I didn't quite get this one. Way too long for a toddler storytime, and I think I'd start to lose the interest of the preschool group. A school-age group would probably stare at me in, well, that stare they have. The ending was predictable for me. And the text did not flow for me. It felt a bit wonky. At one point, I thought it was a translation thing. But I think English was its first published language. The story is OK and his narrow escapes may interest children in a lap-read or read-alone. It ...more
Roberta Rivera
Jul 24, 2011 Roberta Rivera rated it it was amazing
This is a jazz happy book with wonderful rhyming scats, funny play-on words with fun-loving characters, especially Thelonious. How endearing! How brave! Thelonious is my favorite character.

Wonderfully illustrated with a lot of movement and color. Good rhyming books are hard to find, but great funny rhyming books with rich characters are rare. This is a gem of a book.

Ms. Protopopescu's poetry is masterful and lyrical. I couldn't stop tapping my toes. Yes, this book is fun,!

My three-year-old really liked this book! I think the jazzy, spunky mouse was just too cool to deny. I think if I looked at this on a deeper level, I wouldn't love some things about it, but since I'm not really in the mood to do a literary analysis on the themes of this story, I'll just leave it at this: my son loved it.
Amber Polo
Mar 22, 2012 Amber Polo rated it really liked it
Delightful tongue twisting picture book is sure to enhance both children and their pretend grown-up readers. You’ll be tapping your feet and singing sweet, but who could fall asleep after this story. Wilsdorf’s drawings are so much fun you, can see the movement.
Jul 24, 2014 Tam rated it liked it
I'm giving this a 3-star rating because my child loved it but I didn't. He thought Thelonious Mouse was so funny and he loved the little things he sang but as a parent, I thought the "rhymes" were awkward.
The Library Lady
Oct 03, 2011 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Would like to give this 3 stars for allowing the cat to be more than the villain of the piece, but the rhythms here aren't as rhythmic as they should be and the storytelling is wobbly.
Sep 16, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
While not one that I would venture to use in storytime, this book would work nicely for schoolage audiences, possibly in relation to a study of jazz music or rhythm.
Andrea Estelle
Sep 20, 2011 Andrea Estelle rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the singing the mouse's cool songs and scats. The boys thought this one was pretty funny.
Dec 28, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Super fun read aloud rhythmic book. A great vocal warm-up and beautiful illustrations.
Lesley Looper
I enjoy jazz music, so I had to read this one! Not a homerun, but cute enough.
Chickenlips422 rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Marlene Merced
Marlene Merced rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Khimkistyle marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Jim marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Victoria rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Diana rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Aiyah added it
Jun 30, 2015
Zaneta rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Suggested Ages For Picture Books 1 3 Jul 18, 2011 10:29AM
I grew up with two older sisters in Hempstead, Long Island, a town considered, throughout the 1950s, to be a model of integration. My mother was a dedicated third-grade teacher in an inner-city school. I devoured all the books she brought me. My father, a lawyer who preferred bridge and backgammon to the law, taught me chess and told stories that made me laugh. He was born in Russia and named me f ...more
More about Orel Protopopescu...