Start by marking “B Negative” as Want to Read:
B Negative

B Negative

Paddy loves his family, all except for his annoying stepfather Anthony. When they have a discussion about his future, Paddy overreacts and threatens to join the army. Unable to back down, he finds he is alienating everyone around him. And when he takes the physical exam and learns his blood type, his world starts to crumble and he starts to question everything he thought h ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about B Negative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B Negative

Megan
This was a reread for me. I enjoyed it about the same as I did the last time. I might have felt even more badly for John, because of gets revealed, but I loved the way the story ended. A nice story with a kind of happy ending, don't always get those.
Syana
In the book B Negative, Patrick wants to join the army and his stepfather Anthony does not want him to. Anthony wants Patrick to pursue in music, and Patrick doesn't agree with that so he tells Anthony, his mom, and his two sisters that he is going into the army. His sisters, and mom are both sad they didn't want Patrick to leave and never come back. Anthony laughs and thinks he's joking, and Patrick didn't really mean it he said that to irritate Anthony. Patrick told him that he wasn't kidding ...more
Debbie
Mar 03, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nova-scotia

With B Negative, Paddy is an eighteen year old boy who has the dream of joining the Army. As Paddy goes through all of the medical tests that is required for him to join, his life as he knew it suddenly changes forever. In this story the blood type b negative is a very rare blood type and Paddy has it. The only issue which Paddy soon finds out is that Paddy's father John Armstrong doesn't have the same blood type. This comes to a shock for both Paddy and his father John.

Now Paddy's mom and "dad
Hilary
Sep 07, 2011 Hilary rated it liked it
Paddy is drifting through life, not really sure about what he wants to do with it. Pursue music? Get a job? Take classes at the community college?
Seventeen-year-old Paddy loves his family, but not his stepfather Anthony. Anthony calls Paddy’s bluff when Paddy threatens to join the Army. When Paddy takes the physical exam and learns his blood type, it becomes clear that the man he has always thought of as his biological parent, is not, and now he must question all that he thought he knew.
The
Deborah
Jul 13, 2013 Deborah rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, reviewed
Eh. It’s an easy read, so there’s that… but not really anything special. It feels a little underwritten, like there could have been more to it. This is a quick read but, because of that and because it’s so sparse, it’s a bit unsatisfying. The plot is stronger than the character development. It’s easily enough to keep someone reading.

Overall, I found the conclusion unsatisfying. Everything wrapping up neatly is okay with me. However, Paddy’s issue with his stepfather Anthony is primarily that the
I read this one last night - it's an Orca Soundings book so it's high-interest, low-level, and short - because a teen patron wrote a letter to my branch manager asking her to remove it from the shelf due to its "foul language." Seriously? I can find a lot fouler language on our shelves - this has a couple of "pissed" a few "ass" and one "bullshit." Tame. But our letter back to this kid will contain a few clean high-low titles that she can try instead of this one.

The book was actually pretty goo
A Book Vacation
Jun 19, 2011 A Book Vacation rated it it was amazing
Grant has written a superb novel that is sure to catch the interest of all who read it. Written in simple prose, B Negative tells the story of Paddy, a seventeen-year-old boy ready to follow in his father’s footsteps, but who is his real father? Filled with suspense and mounting tension, B Negative will keep the reader glued to the pages as the story unfolds.

I especially enjoyed Paddy’s voice throughout the novel. As he tells his story, it is easy to connect with him and obtain a real sense of
Megan
Sep 10, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
I'm so happy that I've found this line of books, even though I've only read two of them I have a feeling that I'll be reading as many more of them as I can get.

B Negative had a different outcome than I was expecting, which I really liked! I was so sure I knew what plot of the book was going to be, so when I found out I was completely wrong it was wonderful. I won't say what I thought it was going to be about or what it actually is, since the synopsis is vague and I think anything else I would sa
Melissa
Nov 14, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Another great installment from Orca Soundings. High interest/low level. Perfect for the reluctant reader. Paddy, annoyed by his stepfather, decides to get back at him by announcing that he is going to join the Army. His mother reluctantly agrees, as long as he goes to get a complete physical and a lecture from the family doctor. During the physical some rather disturbing news comes to light causing everyone in his life to see things very differently. As Paddy struggles to come to terms with this ...more
Hailey Peterson
Jan 15, 2012 Hailey Peterson rated it really liked it
I read this book in one night. Not a a multiple day book. This book has an interesting twist. The boy only had negative thoughts when it came to his stepfather and so people were always telling him to stop being negative. The foreshawdowing that occured was when he needed a transfussion and it came back that his blood type is B Negative. I thought this book was an easy read and was very inspirational. i recommend this book to everybody and anybody who wants to read a great story.
Victoria Bickford
May 24, 2016 Victoria Bickford rated it liked it
I gave the story B negative by Vicki Grant 3 stars. I gave this book three stars because it was a really interesting book. Things I liked about it would be the way Grant set up the book in an organized manner. Most books I read don't make sense to me, because the way the author writes. There wasn't anything I didn't like about the book.
Salma
Mar 13, 2015 Salma rated it it was amazing
I kinda like this book . My favorite character is paddy because he shares his feelings to everyone . Paddy is different from his family . Paddy likes his family expect his stepfather Anthony . I think Anthony is making paddy to make a choice to go with he or stay. I know how paddy feel about his stepfather .
Helen
Apr 28, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it
Orca soundings publishes books of high interest to reluctant junior high or high school readers. Before handing B Negative to a student, I read it myself. B-Negative is a good read: a page-turner, paced just right for my students.
Shawn Bird
Jun 06, 2013 Shawn Bird rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, canadian
Vicky Yan
Feb 11, 2013 Vicky Yan rated it really liked it
My first ORCA Soundings. I am surprised that I got to see fairly good character development in such a short book. I think the twist in the family relationship is quite interesting. It's a good read read when you want a good story and you don't have much time to invest in a thick book.
Peggy
The premise of this story was interesting. Not a bad read for an Orca Soundings. I think there would be an audience for this among reluctant/weak readers.
Les
Oct 09, 2011 Les rated it it was ok
Not too believable that the son could get to 18 years old before anyone notices the blood types don't match up.
Leah W-F
Jul 25, 2011 Leah W-F rated it did not like it
I kept thinking something interesting would happen but the whole thing was telegraphed from the start and nothing de-cliche'd it.
Rivkah
Oct 20, 2011 Rivkah rated it really liked it
This book had triple meaning of the blood type B Negative. It challenges certainty to it's breaking point.
Jules
Aug 13, 2012 Jules rated it really liked it
a very good short story yet it is a book that you have to have an imagintion for the ending because the author doesn't go into detail with it.
Kayla
Mar 27, 2013 Kayla rated it it was ok
This was an easy read. It took me about two hours to read it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It wasn't bad, but not something I would read again.
Emily
Jun 06, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
For an Orca (low level, high interest) I was impressed with the storyline and the symbolism of the blood. This will make a good addition to our school library.
Giniro
Apr 03, 2013 Giniro rated it it was ok
I like this book. the first person narrative was kind of thrilling and very male. It was kind of fast and short than i thought it was. :D It was an OK book. :D
Alana
Alana rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Kheng
Kheng rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Sarah Leskovich
Sarah Leskovich rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2013
Nicole Lindsey
Nicole Lindsey rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2014
s. lynn  crippen
s. lynn crippen rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
BZ George
BZ George rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013
  • Mr. Mendoza's Paintbrush
  • A Fire in My Hands
  • Slipping Reality
  • Ink Me (Seven, #4)
Vicki Grant was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She studied at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (now NSCAD University), Dalhousie University, and Laval University. After graduation, Grant worked as an advertising copywriter in Toronto until the mid-1990s when she began writing for children's television. For the CBC, she created "Scoop & Doozie", a comedy series for pre-schoolers. Grant ...more
More about Vicki Grant...