Start by marking “World Mythology” as Want to Read:
World Mythology

World Mythology

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  548 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
This volume offers 59 of the world's great myths--including selections from "The Iliad and the Odyssey," "Beowulf," "King Arthur" and "Quetzalcoatl." Each myth is accompanied by an introduction that offers historical background and suggests avenues for literary analysis.
Published February 1st 1994 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published June 28th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about World Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Mythology

Joshua Michail
Feb 03, 2016 Joshua Michail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna Rosenberg created more than just an encyclopedia of myths from around the world in this book, she provides each myth in great detail along with some explanatory work. This book has proven to be an invaluable resource for expanding one's reading of classical literature. She categorized the sections by regions of the world, and offers background and introduction for each story. Among the many myths or stories are Beowulf, King Arthur, Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Virgil's Aeneid, Gilgamesh, th ...more
JayeL
Oct 23, 2010 JayeL rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, william
We bought this book to get more information about Greek Mythology following reading the D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths version of Greek Mythology for kids. Over the years we have jumped around and read different myths and epics in this book, but we have mostly focused on the Greeks.

This time, however, we started with the old favorites and have just plowed through without picking and choosing. There are some very entertaining aspects of some of the unfamiliar myths. In one myth, the creator crea
Chris
Sep 09, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year we're starting out Sophomore English with a unit on Creation Mythology before turning to The Odyssey. I'm using this book as the core text because it gives a very broad overview of world mythology in an intelligent, inclusive, and complex fashion. I like how it breaks mythology down into specific ethnic traditions: instead of a section on "African Myths," they tell you which group, such as the Yoruba, the myth comes from; instead of "South American Myths," you get myths from the Tiahau ...more
Rachel Chin Bregente
A very stunning compilation of the myths and epics around the world. I really love it! It's like a window to the past that shows us what the ancient people believed in, and how they lived with each other--of course, the written works were greatly influenced by what was happening in their environment and by their lifestyle during that time. I like how the book was made. I like that it gives us an overview of the tribe or country where the myth/epic belongs to. I like that it shows a brief introdu ...more
William
Apr 16, 2013 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty thorough compilation of various myths from all sorts of culture, reading through too quickly may even give you a bit of culture shock, not just about what's different but even more surprisingly what's similar. It seems to have some chronological ordering, starting with ancient Assyrian before moving on the old standby Greek and Roman myths, you don't get to the Norse ones until quite a bit further in, and it ends with some seemingly uncommon recitals, from Africa and the Americas. Each ...more
Yelda Güzel
Dec 05, 2014 Yelda Güzel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
İnsanoğlunun evren ve yaşam konusunda çok daha az şey bildiği, boşlukları hayal gücüyle doldurduğu zamanlardan kalma hikayeler. Okuduğunuzda, günümüz bilimkurgu/fantastik eserlerinin aslında pek de yeni fikirler içermediğini, yeni zannetiğimiz her şeyin aslında eskinin çeşitlemeleri olduğunu görebiliyorsunuz. İnsan aklı, algılayabildiği evrenle sınırlı sonuçta. Bilgimiz arttı ama algılarımızda bin yıl öncesine göre ileri düzeyde bir değişiklik yok. Bu antoloji, mitolojiye giriş kitabı olarak da ...more
Jane Francis
Nov 26, 2015 Jane Francis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college-finished
Read for Mythology class. Really nice! Lots of background info for each myth (historical & cultural contexts), with myths being grouped by geographical local and preceded by a general cultural introduction on the mythology of each particular region from which the stories come.
Rheannon
Mar 23, 2015 Rheannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to purchase it for school, but I'm glad my professor chose this text. It gives really great translations of many of the more popular mythologies and is organized by area of origin. I especially loved the shortened versions of more lengthy epics like Beowulf and King Arthur.
Daniel Yocom
Nov 08, 2015 Daniel Yocom rated it liked it
A good collection of world myths. They are broken down so you can read one area, or all. There is good information on how they compare. This is not an endpoint for learning about the myths and legends, but a tarting point to get the understanding and references to go deeper.
Teri Temme
Mar 08, 2013 Teri Temme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! Wow. I feel as if I have time travelled over the past couple of weeks. I have read about the myths of Greece and Rome, The Middle East, Northern Europe, The British Isles, The Far East and the Pacific Islands, Africa and the Americas - quite the ride. Very sad I missed out on these earlier in life, but delighted to have discovered them now.

From The Ramayana: Sita to Rama: "Do not grieve over what you have had to do. Each of us must accept whatever life brings. Wherever there is gro
Tiffany
Dec 28, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I didn't read every single myth, throughout the course of my class I read most of them. And I really enjoyed them! Mythology is very interesting.
Shelly Hammond
This one was ok. Sort of had to read it for some college work. It had some good myths but for the length of the book and the myths it chose to use for the longer ones compared to those it chose for the shorter ones, it really doesn't get over a three star. It's not evil bad, just could have been a lot better. If you have to read it and know nothing at all about mythology you will learn a lot about the most famous Greek and Roman myths along with the legends of King Arthur, but most of the other ...more
Carly
Feb 09, 2015 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The myths in this book are summaries of what the real myth was with some historical background. It's a great book to start researching and reading myths.
♥ Cin
Jul 11, 2008 ♥ Cin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students taking a Mythology Class
The book goes into very high level detail about the most famous myths and gives a good overview of the most famous gods and heroes/legends. I probably wouldn't pick this one up on my own since it's a hard read at times. The book gave me a really good basic understanding of mythology from all cultures and I find myself going back to reference when I come across mythology references in other literature. Good to have on the shelf and a good starter if you're interested in studying it.
Whitney
Oct 06, 2009 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great overview of general mythology. The synopses of various myths are accurate and each myth is preceded by a short introduction of sorts that explains important facts about the myth, its origin, its evolution over time, its importance to its culture of origin and any other cultures that may have adopted it. Anyway, I picked it up as a quick refresher of mythology and it was just right.
Amy
Jan 28, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have never read mythology ever, so I surprised myself when I started getting into the stories we were told to read in Advanced Literature from this anthology including Heracles, Sigurd the Volsung, and King Arthur. It was interesting. I don't know if I would, even now, just pick up a book pertaining to mythology, but I know that if I do read one, I can come to appreciate and enjoy it.
Burcu
Don't be intimidated by the size of this volume; it flows relatively smoothly. Bringing together the "beginning" myths of various geographies establishes a good perspective on the relationship between narratives and the humanity's existential questions. The parallels, similarities and differences might change how you view humanity.
Richelle
May 07, 2008 Richelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latin-and-greek
Read this one in high school, and was simply delighted when Mandie gave it to me for my birthday a few years back. It has reasonably well translated synopsized versions of archetypal myths (such as creation, deluge, and hero myths)from various cultures. I especially appreciated this arrangement.
Monica
Jan 13, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edutivity
It's great... that's what you can call for this book. Full of literature and information about great epic and mythology that you always hear when you were school in a very detail way.
I found this book useful because the complete story and explanation for every mythology.
Leeann Sheriff
Short stories about different Mythological tales from around the world. Great detail and easy to learn about mythology. I would recommend this to anyone that loves to learn about Mythology but doesn't want to spend an outrageous amount of hours learning each tale.
Peter Mcloughlin
World Mythology is not the right title for the book. It is Mostly European Mythology with a little bit of other cultures. It is not bad but I would have liked more entries from non-european cultures. I am pretty familar with a lot of Western Mythology.
Megan
Jan 01, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I had to read most of this as a textbook for my mythology class and I loved it! Very well written except for the sheer amount of unneeded repetition in all of the stories. But a very good read if you are interested in world mythology and culture.
Emily
Jan 15, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks, religion
Good coverage of world civilizations, but I was not a fan of her prose style in retelling the myths. It seemed to flatten them all out. I read this while searching for textbooks to use for a mythology class, but decided not to use it.
Lorena
Jul 02, 2012 Lorena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I thought it was going to be. Had more to do with how/where myth stories originated from. Gives you snipits of the greats like the Illiad. It was a good starter book for wanting to learn about mythology stories.
Autumn Mcquarrie
Apr 29, 2014 Autumn Mcquarrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My professor had us read a few of the stories. It bounced around through a lot of those stories. The book was great at describing them and I also like the well variety of them.
TaleofGenji
May 15, 2012 TaleofGenji marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mariah
Oct 13, 2012 Mariah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had many new stories that I had not yet read and information that I had not known. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Kareena
Aug 30, 2011 Kareena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the storylines of major myths but don't want to read the whole thing
Summarizes all the major myths into digestible stories. So far have read through the Greek myths and am working on the next chapters.
Michelle
We read the Greek and Roman sections for book club. I think I had to read too much mythology in grade school already...
Cris
Jan 24, 2015 Cris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's one of those books that you don't read from beginning to end. But very well done regardless.
  • Mythology
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Classical Mythology
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Classical Gods And Heroes
  • The Gods of the Greeks
  • Gods, Demigods & Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology
  • Pantheons (Pantheons, #1)
  • Dictionary of Mythology
  • Vampyre
  • In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World
  • Irish Folk and Fairy Tales Omnibus Edition
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt