Start by marking “Sims” as Want to Read:
Sims

Sims (Sims #1-5)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  494 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
F. Paul Wilson, a practicing physician as well as the bestselling author of the Repairman Jack series, turns his attention to the day after tomorrow and shows us how genetic engineering might change the world.

Published September 1st 2004 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sims

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore1984 by George OrwellStranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. HeinleinA Deepness in the Sky by Vernor VingeFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Prometheus Award Winners
17th out of 28 books — 28 voters
Ready Player One by Ernest ClineHomeland by Cory DoctorowLittle Brother by Cory DoctorowA Deepness in the Sky by Vernor VingeFallen Angels by Larry Niven
Prometheus Best Novel Award Winners
22nd out of 38 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Alger
Mar 15, 2015 Alger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Among the last of the writers in the true pulp style, Wilson delivers an entertaining premise in a breakneck paced tale populated with stock characters. Also, in the finest tradition of the pulps, he provides a revealing glimpse of an alternate world that is absolutely faithful to this one, except in one small detail.

That detail in this volume is the successful creation of a simian GMO who is sapient and self-aware, yet is classified as sub-human and animal in nature. In the world of Sims this i
Derek Holmes
Jul 04, 2016 Derek Holmes rated it liked it
A genetics company has a world wide monopoly on the leasing of a new species they have created as menial workers. Based on chimps, with a few human genes spliced in. The creatures are docile and 'happy' to do the jobs no people want, or are they?
A lawyer is contacted by a group of the creatures who want to start a union. This opens a can of worms and sets in place a series of events that sees the company that created the creatures desperately trying to maintain control.
An at times thrilling read
Randy
Dec 10, 2013 Randy rated it really liked it

Just a few hundred genes separate humans from chimpanzees. Imagine someone altering the chimp genome, splicing in human genes to increase the size of the cranium, reduce the amount of body hair, enable speech. What sort of creature would result?

Sims takes place in the very near future, wh

Lyndsey
I was really really in the mood for a novella and I just happened to pick this one up off the shelf. I really wanted to like it with such a killer concept, but unfortunately it just didn't hit the spot for me.

This is such a controversial subject, but there was just nothing riveting at all about this story or how it was told. The best way I can think of to describe it: it felt like it was happening miles away from where I was. As if I was watching through a pair of binoculars and didn't care to g
Feb 28, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Sims is not my usual cup of tea, but I enjoyed it immensely. The plot was full of twists and turns, and I loved the characters, especially the dynamics between them. The ending was satisfying and I had a splendid time reading this book on vacation. An excellent read. 4.5 stars.
Bob
Mar 03, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing
Wow again! *Another* book I would give ten stars if I could. This book is about a genetically-engineered worker class, the "sims", part human and part chimpanzee, in the not-to-distant future. They are slaves, and are considered animals, not humans. The book magnificently describes the viewpoints of dozens of different members of society regarding the sims, all as part of the story.

Warning for the squeamish: There are several passages describing extreme gore in great detail, and others describin
Ellen
Jul 03, 2010 Ellen rated it liked it
Interesting, sorta creepy sci-fi novel that takes place in the near future about sims--chimpanzees enhanced with human DNA created by a company called SimGen--which are used as cheap labor and medical guinea pigs while denied many rights, even to family. A labor lawyer and an activist team to change the classification of sims from property to persons to improve their treatment and to bring SimGen's shady practices and secrets to light. Of course, there are those within the company who will do an ...more
Alina Stefanescu
Jun 08, 2013 Alina Stefanescu rated it really liked it
Interesting speculative applications to the current treatment of immigrant laborers under US law.

In Sims, the government or military industrial complex turns out to be behind the development of sims, which are legally “products” but potentially cheap labor and more importantly cheap roadkill for new wars. Congress designated sims as legal property, which means they cannot be considered humans, which means they cannot be “employee” and therefore do not qualify for protection under the statutes o
Jo
May 28, 2016 Jo rated it it was amazing
Love those genetic thrillers
Lize
I wasn't sure I wanted to read this at first, and then when I did I couldn't put it down. SimGen, a big biotech company has created a slave race by engineering the DNA of chimps and humans--the Sims--to do menial and dangerous labor that humans don't want to do. Of course, greed, money and the Department of Defense get involved, and you can guess the rest.

Wonderfully written, with a shocker at the end that I didn't see coming. It was a great introduction to an author who has turned out to be a
Sara
Sep 03, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
Sims was a surprisingly captivating novel, though I believe it would have been much better, had F. Paul Wilson improved upon the dialogue. The premise is chilling, and not nearly as far-fetched as one would hope. Some of the characters are a little bit ridiculous, and I was perplexed about the severity of the big "twist." Without giving anything away, I really felt it shouldn't have made any difference one way or another.
Asti
Mar 03, 2013 Asti rated it really liked it
Sims is one of the first bio-engineering futuristic novels I read. The story gives great detail about the ethical, social and spiritual issues that arise when a Euro-centric society tampers with nature. The book presents a sci-fic version of actual scientific advances in genetic modification of the human genome. It was moving and enlightening. I recommend this read to anyone interested in American culture, human and animal rights, scientists and anyone looking for a intriguing story.
Jon
May 04, 2016 Jon rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite novels. It tells a fantastic tale of a genetically modified race of creatures called Sims that act as slave labor for human beings. The protagonist of the novel is a lawyer that fights for the rights of these genetically-modified beings, but there is much more danger involved than he could ever have imagined. The ending contains an incredible twist that caught me off guard and makes the story. I would highly recommend this book to anybody.
Katie
Jun 14, 2013 Katie rated it it was ok
I want to give this one star when I consider how many books in existence that are so much more worth reading, but on its own merit I'll give it two. It was predictable. The writing was easy to read but shallow, you can make a book accessible without butchering any sense of purpose in word choice. The premise of the book was decent enough, and that's the only thing that saved it. If a book can inspire any kind of thought outside of its pages, it isn't a complete waste.
Marlene
Nov 13, 2011 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Found this book at a goodwill store and only bought it because it was in excellent condition, hardcover, for just $2! It is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Have passed it on to other friends who do not like science fiction and they were hooked. The characters are full and round and I found myself completely believing the story and the scenes, chilling as they might be.
Rebekkila
Jul 29, 2010 Rebekkila rated it really liked it
I haven't read F. Paul Wilson in over 10 years so it was nice to read one after all this time. The story is about a world in which chimpanzees are genetically altered to be more human. Considering how much progress has been made with genetic engineering I found it very thought provoking. What a fine line between the character in this book and the human race.
Mark Burnham
Aug 25, 2016 Mark Burnham rated it it was amazing
Not Bad Interesting Concept
ScoLgo
Feb 22, 2016 ScoLgo rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Great page-turning bio-thriller. A very interesting concept. In the right hands, this would make a great movie.
Anne
Nov 20, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book. It delves into what can happen when mankind gets into cloning and other things which often are best left alone. The story is engrossing and well written and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a well written thriller with some interesting twists.
Tanvir Muntasim
Dec 29, 2012 Tanvir Muntasim rated it liked it
Enjoyable and thought provoking story of genetic engineering that poses a lot of ethical questions related to what is acceptable in terms of fair labour practices and drawing the line between humans and animals.
Jim
Oct 22, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
This book made me feel so many different emotions! I hope that this excellent book is read by many and appreciated for it's forward thinking ... Something similar could happen.
Megan Hodges
Jul 18, 2013 Megan Hodges rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable action/adventure - the outcome was somewhat predictable, but the journey to get there held my attention. Yay Zero.
Ron
Jul 29, 2008 Ron is currently reading it
This is a decent pulpy science fiction novel. It's very similar to Michael Crichton's "Next."
Ellen Marcolongo
Sep 09, 2012 Ellen Marcolongo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting premise but I thought the ending was too neatly and quickly tied up.
Nicky
Sep 28, 2011 Nicky rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, interesting and gripping....kept wanting to read until finish.
Amber
May 28, 2011 Amber rated it liked it
Characterization of the girl was flat as possible. The idea was good, though.
Gary Langston
Jun 17, 2013 Gary Langston rated it really liked it
This was a good read. Scary in the fact that this could really happen.
Ron
Aug 25, 2012 Ron rated it it was ok
Love F. Paul Wilson, but could not get interested in the book. Too predictable.
Mike
Aug 25, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Entertaining but I figured out the twists really early.
Lauren
Oct 13, 2013 Lauren rated it liked it
I liked this book but think it would be better as a movie.
  • The Wolfman
  • The Children Star
  • Deadstock
  • Hunter's Moon
  • The Galosh
  • Stranger
  • Digital Divide (Rachel Peng, #1)
  • The Summoning
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • Don't Bite the Sun (Four-BEE, #1)
  • Breeder
  • Napier's Bones
  • Stalkers
  • Timecaster
  • Prey
  • I Never Called It Rape
  • Fade to Blue
  • King's Blood Four (Land of the True Game, #1)
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Sims (5 books)
  • La Causa (Sims, #1)
  • The Portero Method (Sims, #2)
  • Meerm (Sims, #3)
  • Zero (Sims, #4)
  • Thy Brother's Keeper (Sims, #5)