Start by marking “Saved by a Poem: The Transformative Power of Words” as Want to Read:
Saved by a Poem: The Transformative Power of Words

Saved by a Poem: The Transformative Power of Words

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Can someone really be saved by a poem? In Kim Rosenrsquo;s book, the answer is a reshy;sounding ldquo;Yes!rdquo; Poetry, the most ancient form of prayer, is a necessary medicine for our times#58; a companion through difficulty; a guide when we are lost; a salve when we are wounded; and a conduit to an inner source of joy, freedom, and insight.Whether you are a lover of poe ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Hay House, Inc. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Saved by a Poem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saved by a Poem

Sherry
An inspiring book. A great invitation to get to know some poems in ways that holding them in your heart, line by line and speaking them out-loud, new every time, can do. I now know why I started putting together a Word file labeled "poetry". I think I'll start with Mary Oliver. (And thank you, Mary Jo, for sharing one of your heart poems with us at la Casa for grace when you were visiting--and for getting to know Kim and her work so well-you are both gifts!)
Joyce Mason
Inklings brought me to the doorstep of returning to poetry as a writing genre after three decades. This book made me run across the threshold to greet poetry again like a long, lost relative. Saved by a Poem gave me the last bits of information I needed to understand the role poetry plays in my life and in my mixed bag of healing arts.

Kim Rosen has written an inspiring guidebook that stirs the heart about why poetry is so important and why a person should not choose to live without it. There is
John
I really like this book, despite it's need of some more editing. (There are sections that repeat a turn of phrase multiple times, and then not again in the book. It's as if some of the parts were written in chunks, but not during the same phase of Ms. Rosen's life.) But this is a quibble.

This books is part memoir, part how-to, part introduction to poetry reading. It taught me the difference between memorizing and "learning by heart". I think a fair distillation of the book is expressed in this q
Maryjoamani
A self-help book of the best kind...a memoir by Kim Rosen on the "transformative power of words", encouraging us to memorize poetry as a way to bring meaning and comfort to our lives. Full of practical how-to's and poetry models. The accompanying CD of poems recited by well-known poets is perfect.
Susan
It was a surprise how much this book spoke to me -- and even more when I experimented with the practice of "learning a poem by heart." The stories and poems were moving and the practice itself even more so. Loved.
Jody
I actually just skimmed this book. I don't think I was in the right mood to read the chirpy "look what poetry did!" text.It has some interesting concepts though.
Roberta
I read this on and off with other poetry books. I like it and it needs a good editing.
Marilyn
I loved this book. I was sad when I came to the last few pages because I didn't want it to end. I savored it, reading 2-3 pages at a time. I have wanted to understand poetry for a long time, bought books, tried to get what they were saying, but got frutrated or felt stupid because I didn't get them. I discovered from reading Kim Rosen's book that poetry is all over the place - in prayer, in songs, in my favorite quotes. Kim Rosen guides you through understanding the power of poems, and she gives ...more
Jo
I loved this book. Perhaps not every page, I am not the biggest fan of a super sincere American style. But it was easy enough to filter that in order to absorb some great treasures of poetry, heartfelt reflections on its meaning, and a moving attempt to explore the power of poetry to companion us through the experiences of life. It was a delight to be introduced to new poems and poets as well as to revisit familiar favourites and to see them with new eyes, hear more vibrant depths, as they were ...more
Lia
This book has some beautiful ideas and beautiful poems. There is much to enjoy and admire. (It gets a bit preachy, too. So, don't try to read it all at once. Come back to it by pieces, read it out of order, savor the good bits, because the good bits are good.)
Quinn
Saved by a Poem demonstrates the power of poetry to heal and restore both the spirit and the mind. Kim Rosen takes the reader beyond reading poetry through to learning it by heart and writing poetry as well, although writing is not a "requirement" to benefiting from poetry. She distinguishes memorization from learning by heart, and describes how committing to a poem taps into the inner source of strength, healing, joy and freedom.

A well-written and interesting book, I was encouraged to make poe
Elizabeth
At times self-indulgent, but often inspirational
Barbara
I loved reading how poetry can save and transform lives. It was an affirmation of my own experience with poetry and it felt good to know there are other powerful stories out there. I also loved the cd that came with the book. I'll be sharing many of the anecdotes with my students.
Pixiep
This book made me realise how fragile and beautiful poetry is. In a landscape of self obsession, perfection and having the latest 'things' this book reminds me that in other countries poets can bring peace with their words
Ivan Granger
What can I say? Read the first few pages and you won’t want to stop. An exploration of the power of poetry to open our lives in surprising, healing ways and, at the same time, an engaging personal memoir. Highly recommended.
Isabel Stout
Excellent presentation of the parallel yet closely woven lives of mistress and maid. Transcends India to address key issues of power, dependency, love resentment anywhere household workers exist.
Rebekah
Satisfying introduction to poetry's mysteries. Even a longtime believer such as myself needs her faith reaffirmed, and this book did it. Poem as shaman?! Yes!
Marilyn Mcentyre
A thoughtful reflection on the role of poetry in the writer's own life and in the life of cultures in crisis. Lucid, engaging, and inspiring.
Kayellen Hurd
Poetry is a very special language that is translated and conveyed as the author is inspired and according to the given muse.
Elizabeth
Nessa McCasey
Kim Rosen is a treasure.
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Cassandra Eve
Cassandra Eve marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Ranamudassir
Ranamudassir marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Tammy Snook
Tammy Snook marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • Writing Begins with the Breath: Embodying Your Authentic Voice
  • Writing the Life Poetic: An Invitation to Read & Write Poetry
  • Journal to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Writing, Reading, and Creating a Journal of Your Life
  • The Positive Power Of Negative Thinking