Start by marking “Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big” as Want to Read:
Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big

Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Edwurd Fudwupper spends all his time cooking up big fibs. But one day, he tells such a humdinger that the army, the air force and the dog catcher are called to try to reverse the damage wrought. An unlikely heroine comes to his rescue.
Published September 1st 2000 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big

Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Breathed, B. (2000). Edwurd Fudwupper fibbed big. Boston, MA: A Storyopolis Book (Little, Brown and Company).

Genre: Children’s Picture Storybook

Fannie Fudwupper is the younger sister of Edwurd, the most “higher upper” liar from a long line of liars. Edwurd lies to Mabel Dill and the neighborhood kids but saves his biggest fib for his parents. For some sisters that would be enough to cause some resentment and strain but poor Fannie is not bothered by her brother’s humdingers—she just wants his lo
Daniel Zielske
Berkeley Breathed wrote and illustrated this humourous tale of a boy who can't tell the truth and a sister who wants her brother to like her. Told from the perspective of the little sister, Fannie Fudwupper, this story starts in the den and expands as the U.S. military and a three-eyed alien in bunny slippers and cloud pajamas come to investigate Edwurd's fib.
Gerardo Mendoza-Tovar
Fannie Fudwupper’s brother, Edwurd, has always been known as a liar, but this one time he took too far. He knocked over the piggy container and broke it while he has playing around in the house. He made a huge lie that aliens came down in a space ship and knocked over their mom’s little pig and broke it. Then a big alien did come down to where he lives and was asking who started all of this mess, but Fannie came in and took the blame for Edwurd.
This book is great to show the love between family
Robert Moushon
Breathed, B. (2000). Edwurd Fudwupper fibbed big. Boston, Mass : Little, Brown.

Characters: Edwurd Fudwupper (the big brother), the Narrator (little sister), the townspeople,

Setting: Edwurd Fudwupper’s Town, in a fantasy world

Themes: Rhyming, Honesty, Family Ties

Genre: CSULB ETEC 545 Class 3, ETEC 545 Folktale, ETEC 545 Motif, Lying Motif, Picture Books

Summary: Edwurd Fudwupper ruins lives with his lies around town. He tells Mabel Dell that she’s the new Queen of Brazil she won a bikini, or tha
Sung Baick
Funny story about a fib that went too far. The rhyming makes the book a lot more fun to read. The young elementary school students will enjoy the funny words and pictures. It's a book that involves some imagination and I think the kids will be appreciative of that. I also put this under the category of family because it ultimately is about the relationship between a brother and sister. Good book to use to lead into talking about fibs and lies.
Jaclyn
This may just be my all time favorite children's book. The illustrations are fun with great facial expressions. So much detail in each picture. The story has a great rythem when reading out loud. There is also a bit of adult humor within as well. Best of all it teaches a great lesson with a sibling love that a child can relate to. My children all love it!
Dolly
Apr 30, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story about the propensity of a child to lie when caught doing something they shouldn't have done.

We are fans ofBerkeley Breathed's artwork in his Bloom County series. So we were excited to discover that our local library had some of his picture books.

The narrative is entertaining and speaks to the bond between siblings. Our girls could certainly relate to the fierce rivalry that mixes with the even fiercer sense of loyalty. Overall, it's a fun story to read aloud and w
Mommooshka
Although Edwurd Fudwupper isn't a joy to look at, that may just be the point. He doesn't look like a loveable kid, but inside he still has a heart of gold, he just needed his sister's help and the right opportunity for it to become apparent.

This is a lovely story about kids who behave realistically, not perfectly, but still learn from their mistakes and grow and develop from their experiences.

Like Edwurd, this story has a heart of gold. Great book to read to kids who have siblings, especially i
Angela Herd
Book Title: Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big

Short Description: This story is told from the sister's point of view. The sister, Fannie, tells the story of her brother Edwurd. In this clever tale, poetry comes together to move the story along in fantastically funny prose. The reader sees into Edwurd's world through her eyes and realizes that all she really wants is for Edwurd to be a brother. This book would make a great mentor text for point of view and prose.

Focus: Narrative Features I Would Use in
Kim
I really would never have thought that this book was a children's book. I love Berkeley Breathed's comics and have had this book on the shelf for years. I can see using this book in a classroom to demonstrate how preposterous a story can be told. Children can use their own imaginations to tell a story, and go to far off places like the Edward does in this story. The illustrations are as funny as the stories that Edward tells. A very fun book to read.
Milo
Dec 23, 2012 Milo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Milo by: Mama shared it, it was a gift to her from Uncle Mark
Mama got this book as a gift from Uncle Mark years ago. She has always loved Berkeley Breathed as a story teller and illustrator. She finally took it off the shelf this year to share with me. I laughed so hard when I saw the picture of the alien with his pajama pants falling down. It shows part of his bum. Also, he has a fly swatter tucked into his pants. We have to stop and this page and go back to this page often. For a three year old, this picture is high comedy.

At the end of the story I alw
Rainey
Though I didn't love the illustrations in this book, the story of this big fibber is great for siblings who may not always appreciate one another.
Rhiannon
I love this book. I have read it countless times to my children, they love this book. It is funny, beautifully illustrated and joy to read.
Mickey
For some reason, this story resonated with my sister's kids. I always preferred Berkley Breathed's Goodnight Opus, but there's no accounting for taste. Both Breathed's illustrations and storytelling skills are extraordinary. The rhythm of the words make it easy for kids to memorize whole pages of this book. The sophistication of the language probably means that they may not understand all the nuances of the story, but the illustrations do a good job of showing the child what happens next. Wonder ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
We recently received two of Berkeley Breathed's books for children. He is the Pulitzer Prize winning author and creator of Bloom County and Opus. His style, through somewhat different, is easily recognizable. The illustrations are amazing and the story charming. Well written, and in such a way children will ask to have it read to them again and again. It is the story of a brother and a younger sister; the sister seems to dislike her brother's habit of telling tall tales, until she must tell one ...more
Janae
Brilliant. I loved it. Truly, you'll want to read this one out loud. I loved all of it.
Heather
Our son picked this book out... I think he liked the pictures. It is a great book that teaches about lies and what happens when you tell a lie or a fib. It shows how big it can grow and what can become of it in a great way for children to understand. The book is also written in a poetic format. It really rolls and keeps the kids attention, we also talked about what really happened in the middle of the book to make sure they knew what was going on and keeping them on track. Great book. I would li ...more
Acton
This story was told by Edward Fudwupper's sister, Fannie Fudwupper. In this story, Edward tells a lot of lies. The more lies he tells, the worse his life gets. Fannie stood up for her brother by taking the blame for his lies to save his life and the rest of the world. In the end, Edward admits he lied and his life goes back to normal. Or kind of, he did still get a really big punishment.
Michelle
I wish this had been written when my kids were small enough to appreciate it. It's a riotous romp when Edwurd tells a lie and chaos ensues in trying to right it. There's also the subplot of sibling rivalry. Given my propensity for children's books that exhibit children behaving as children do (no Dick and Jane readers in our house) it would have been read regularly and with rellish.
Megan Breslow
This is a really cute story about a boy who does not notice his sister till he tells one lie thats way to big. The book has great illustrations and is a really fun read. Good book to have students think about people that they might not notice or pay much attention to after reading. Maybe lead to doing an activity or community project after?
JustOneMoreBook.com
Packed with action and emotion and carried by catapulting rhyme, this hilariously original story reminds us that caring siblings are gifts to be treasured.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Gretchen
This book is fun! Beautiful illustrations and a nice twist at the end. A good example of brother and sister dynamics. This book sets an example of how lying can cause problems, but how lying can also help... when done appropriately. I think this one will add a nice variety to the other books about honesty.
Sadie
I have enjoyed all of the Berkeley Breathed books that I have read. The pictures are absolutely wonderful as well as how the story is written. The is about a lie that starts out small and all of the disasterous consequences. The children really loved this one. I need to add it to my collection.
Kyla Hyden
This is a humorous story about a relationship between a brother and sister. The illustrations were wonderful, and students would definitely be able to relate to this book about the danger of fibbing and importance of sibling relationships. I would like to have this book in my future classroom.
Jen
This was a ton of fun to read, with great messages. As others have noted, it's about the consequences of lying and the value of family (even younger siblings). The illustrations were classic Breathed, and the prose was witty but accessible. My four-year-old adored this book, and so did I.
Cindi
This story touched on a lot of childhood (moral) subjects: fibbing (rather, story-telling), younger siblings copying older siblings behavior, getting caught in your fibs, consequences, and sibling relationships.

I loved the outer space monster.

Told all in rhyme.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
In this humorous tale Edwurd Fudwupper learns how a series of fibs can balloon out of control and land you in real trouble until the adoring little sister that he never noticed steps in to protect her brother and both learn an important lesson about the truth of family.
Lisa
This book may be funnier to adults than to children, but if you like Berkeley Breathed's exaggerated comic strip style and wacky and creative rhyming, you'll get a kick out of it. My 2-year-old loved running around saying "Edwurd Fudwupper" for days after reading this.
Matthew
This is a wonderful book. I've read it a few times with different vroups and the response is always big. The illustrations, the unusual word choice, and the general over-the-top nature of the plot all make for comedy gold among listeners. Great selection.
Lori
This would be a great book for guidance lessons on telling the truth & sibling relationships. You can fibbed too much and the consequences are universal. I love the illustrations especially the unusual scale of the alien.
  • Mail Harry to the Moon!
  • The Chicken of the Family
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Penelope Crumb
  • How the Cat Swallowed Thunder
  • The Duchess of Whimsy
  • Chewy Louie
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • Eloise Takes a Bawth
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?
  • I'd Really Like to Eat a Child
  • Ugly Fish
  • Princess Hyacinth: The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated
  • Wodney Wat's Wobot
  • Yellow Umbrella
  • Arthur and the True Francine
  • On the Farm
  • Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet
Guy Berkeley "Berke" Breathed is an American cartoonist, children's book author/illustrator, director, and screenwriter, best known for Bloom County, a 1980s cartoon-comic strip which dealt with socio-political issues as seen through the eyes of highly exaggerated characters (e.g. Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin) and humorous analogies.

More about Berkeley Breathed...
Bloom County Babylon: Five Years of Basic Naughtiness Bloom County Loose Tails 'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things (A Bloom County Book) Billy & Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)