Suddenly a Spy

Suddenly a Spy

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  669 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Technical writer Veronica Talbot has a plan: marry prince charming, get a white picket fence and have 2.7 children. She’s found her prince charming, but the rest of the plan goes awry when a siren from his past crashes their wedding reception. Their young marriage is tested when it comes to light that Rick had a previous life—one of espionage and intrigue that he’d neglect...more
Published December 15th 2010 by Heather Huffman, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Suddenly a Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suddenly a Spy

Marina
This review was originally posted on Library Cat book blog.

After reading “Jailbird”by Heather Huffman, when I saw “Suddenly a Spy” I immediately downloaded it. It was a perfect read for a summer beach vacation.

It all started on her wedding day. Veronica had a perfect wedding, and one uninvited guest. A woman who reminded her of a black widow. Suddenly Ronnie realized that her groom had a secret. Hurt from a previous relationship, she takes nothing less than truth. But can she handle the truth?

R...more
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
I enjoyed this book, it was fun and well written. Unlike most of the books I have downloaded free, there were no spelling and grammar faults - I shouldn't even have to mention this possibility but it is all too often the case. Although I gather Ms Huffman wrote this book on purpose to offer it free to put her political words out there, she doesn't seem to have taken any less care with it than if it were offered for sale through normal publishing channels and this is most good to see. The politic...more
Vickie
At first I didn't like this book and almost didn't finish it. The sarcastic exchanges seemed endless. Some parts early on may have been humorous if it weren't for the sarcasm. (Like Rick using Veronica's mother as an excuse to leave, stating she had psychological issues). I also think it was a bit much that Veronica didn't know about Ricks Irish background. The sudden onset of the Irish accent was odd. I think Veronica was wishy washy too much but tried to put myself in her shoes about how sudde...more
Linda Walters
What could be better than a wedding? What could possibly go wrong? Everything was coming up Roses for Veronica Sinclair on her Wedding Day. She has a great family, a gorgeous husband who loves her, and who is totally unlike her ex-husband. Honesty is something that she values above all else after all the lies of her ex. Her new husband is as straight arrow as you can get. So what is going on with the seductive woman who is crashing her wedding and is drooling all over Richard (Rick), suggesting...more
Stephanie
**Disclaimer** ARR review. I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review.

This novel starts at Victoria's wedding to the handsome Rick; the perfect wedding, the perfect dress, the perfect groom, the exgirlfriend who shows up and pisses off the bride at her own reception!!! Turns out that Victoria doesn't know as much about her new husband as she previously thought she did.

'Suddenly a Spy' has lots of twist and turns keeping the reader engaged as you follow Victoria and her spy husband....more
Sandra
Heather Huffman delivers a thrilling tale of suspense, interspersed with humorous dialogue and a very lovely romance, yet manages to point a spotlight at the atrocities committed against young women. Human trafficking and forced slavery are real problems and Ms. Huffman discusses these issues responsibly and with her heart in the right place.

This is the story of Veronica and Richard (Rick). We meet them on their wedding day at their reception which is interrupted by an unwelcome visitor from Ric...more
Leona
This book was a delight! I love the evolution of the lead female character, and the growing relationship between her and her husband. The mystery/suspense flowed really great with the theme of the rest of the story. The sad thing though was that I haven't read any of her other books (maybe because I think that by doing that it will completely turn me away from this author). This book has no flaws (of course in my opinion). Loved this book! Highly recommend this book.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Sometimes you just need a fluff read. This book fits that bill. It’s a classic romance action story with a lot of entertaining humour.

The humour was the highlight of the story for me. There was witty banter, silly jokes, and Jeff’s antics were very amusing. I spent most of the book with a grin on my face because it was down right amusing.

The actual story was a bit too over-the-top unrealistic for me. Ronnie went from an average office worker to super spy in just a few glossed over months. Her re...more
Christina Esdon
This book kept me on the edge of me seat with anticipation. I loved the interplay between the two main characters. They had such great chemistry and I also enjoyed seeing their relationship develop and change over time. Along with the romantic suspense, this is a book about real heart. The suspense plot centers around human trafficking. Huffman weaves in the real life issues while staying in the story.
Overall a great book and I look forward to reading more books from Ms. Huffman!
Crystal
Suddenly a Spy starts off with a bit of a bang, and continues with a rather fast pace throughout the entire novel. It’s all pretty action packed and won’t leave you disappointed when looking for thrills and bad guys!

I was admittedly struggling with this one for awhile. I can suspend my disbelief fine when I know a novel is going to have some fantastical elements, but when something is set in our world, I generally expect it to be plausible. As a character, Veronica evolves at such a pace, and ac...more
Casey
This book was not my favorite of Heather Huffman's books but it was still a great one to read. I have enjoyed the storyline with the linking characters from her other books and have really had a blast trying to sort everyone's stories out. It's been a thrilling read and I loved how the author just jumped right into the spy life. There was no normal life for Ronnie and her husband. It was a shell shocker to her and to the reader I believe. It was a fast read and one that I would highly recommend...more
Gracia
I am in love with this book. All the characters had depth from Veronica's dog-sitter to her baby obsessed mother! You have got to love this book. Amazingly written. It has the romance and the twist and turns. All through this book is action! From the opening scene you get some drama! If you love a good romance pick this up! If you love action packed books pick this up! It really is a fantastic book! I can not stop raving about it to everyone I see. I finished it a few days ago and have yet to sh...more
Elena_twiarcady

I was introduced to Heather Huffman’s books about a year ago thanks to “Gabriel’s Inferno” author Sylvain Reynard, who recommended Throwaway. I decided to give it a try and I loved it. I loved the characters, the story, the message of the book–it is truly a great read. I was curious to see whether Heather Huffman would have delivered another thrilling and engaging tale in Suddenly A Spy and I can safely say that my question was answered with an enthusiastic YES! Huffman proves to be an...more
Wendy
I don't know what to say. I guess it would be a good beach read type book and maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I liked beach read type books, but I like a solid plot, good character development and plausibility (even if it's not realistic, sell me)!

The details were unrealistic and not well researched. For instance, in Ecuador the rose plantations are not in the same vicinity as the jungle. I know I'm splitting hairs, but I prefer that an author actually know what they're talking about befo...more
Lillie
This is an unusual storyline--the bride discovers on her wedding day that her husband isn't who she thought he was. She learns of his previous life of espionage and gets involved in it with him when the bad guys interrupt her honeymoon.
Katy Beth Mckee
This is another one of those books I picked up free a while ago. It isn't so much a romance as a mystery/crime story with some romance thrown in. Veronica is enjoying her wedding reception with everything changes the instant a mysterious woman shows up and starts talking to her new husband Rick. Now all she wants to know is what is going on. From that moment on her life takes on a new direction that she seems to not only embrace but enjoy. I don't think I would react as well to such a sudden cha...more
Christy
I enjoyed this book way more than I expected to. The story was interesting and the characters more complex than I expected. I really liked Veronica by the end of the book. My biggest complaint came at the beginning of the book. We're supposed to believe that Veronica works in intelligence and comes from a CIA family and has a past fiance that was a liar and destroyed her trust but neither she nor her family investigates her new fiance; she only finds out that he's an ex-agent/spy after she marri...more
Jody
After reading some of the other reviews, especially the lower star ratings of Suddenly a Spy, the main problem they have with the story are that it is not unrealistic. This is a work of fiction, not a factual account of real people, as fiction realism is not required. Hats off to Heather Huffman for writing a fiction about a very real problem in this world and contributing some of the proceeds from this book to organizations to help people caught in the world slave trade. The story was interesti...more
Sue
Basically a very good story, if you're able to suspend belief some. The characters and dialogue are fantastic. Some of the events are somewhat hard to believe, such as, how could a relative novice become an expert marksman, a desk jockey become a skilled fighting marshal arts warrior, both in just a few short weeks? How do people with seemingly little savings and no apparent backing, hop on planes, live out of hotels and rent cars all over the world? I really did enjoy reading even though I sigh...more
Maggie
I just couldn't grasp what was good about this story. The plot has to do with the dark and unpleasant reality of human trafficking. The humor for the most part was dry. The characters weren't very well developed and the complete story lacked any real creativity.
I have read stories like this before, on one hand you have the serious plot and then you have the humorous side linked, and I have enjoyed those reads. With this read, I just couldn't get into the fictitious antics of the characters.
Rosemary Smith
I read this book for pure entertainment.I didn't expect to be wowed...but it was a fun book and I tried to imagine myself in those situations. I always wanted to be a spy....or a cat burglar...LOL so it appealed to me. I was sorry to see Marko's fate...not sure what else she could have done with him..he was a bad guy.but he had a sweet streak too and it was a shame to see him end up that way.

It is a great book that doesn't make you think too much...sometimes I need that kind of a read...
Debbie
Maybe 1.5 stars because I actually didn't stop reading it.

Free download e-book that I read on the plane because it was the #1 rated of a list of 100 from Amazon that day. Several editing errors that were distracting, which I have noticed is common in e-books.

Unbelievable story line, poorly developed characters - except of course that they were wealthy, extremely attractive, physically buff, and intelligent.

Waste of time - even for free.
Teresa
Mar 11, 2013 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Enjoy reading Suddenly a Spy by Heather Huffman. We would all be upset on our wedding day if we find out that the one we truly love, did not tell us the truth about who he is really is. That how Veronia was, when she found out about Rick. Suddenly a Spy has so many turns & twists in it you will not want to put it down, till you are finish. So go get you a copy to read, I promise you will like reading Suddenly a Spy.
Kimberly
This was a great story. Heather Huffman created some very well developed characters, and she drops the reader right into the thick of the plot. The story moves quickly and is hard to put down. it is so great to see an excellent author proving that you can write n exciting story and do it without d language and graphic sex scenes. Way to go Heather Huffman. i would love to read more from these characters.
such a fun plot line and excellent characters! I really enjoyed this read!
P.A.
Wonderfully written on a subject not mentioned very often. Heather's wish is to open peoples eyes to what's going on around them and through her writing she is doing just that. Unfortunately the people that need to read this book and have their eyes open are usually the reading type. But from those of us not involved in the dark side, that you for writing a truly enjoyable story.
Dannica
I honestly didn't expect a lot from this book but once I started reading it, I just can't stop. It's a good mixture of everything - action,romance,thriller & it was funny too. This is a really good light book to read. *SPOILER ALERT* One thing only I was disappointed about the book is Marko's fate, I wish he wasn't killed off. But entirely, I love the book :)
Heather Jones
I thought the book was suspenseful, but other times it was somewhat predictable. However, there were some twists that I don't want to give away that kept you reading. Overall though, it was a good book and one that I would recommend to friends. Great price for those who read on Kindles...only $2.99.
Karla
Agatha Christie meets Danielle Steele in a way with this book. I would have appreciated less sensuality than the author included, but was content that she did not go into detail. Some suspension of disbelief is required, but it was a fun read. I laughed. Repeatedly. Wombat!
Elizabeth
This is the final book in the series. While the others you can read out of order, this one I really recommend reading last. You'll recognize a lot of repeat characters - or at least names. Not my favorite book in the series, but I still like the overall message.
  • Bridleton
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
  • Brenin
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • The Hunt
  • Chasing Darkness
  • Life Blood
  • Undeniable
  • Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo (Toronto, #1)
  • Cherry On Top
  • License to Thrill
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Tell Me When It Hurts
  • When Darkness Falls: Free eBook Part 1
  • The Scent of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #1)
  • Unspoken Promises
  • Scorched (Turn Up the Heat, #1)
  • Blind Her with Bliss
Heather Huffman calls the beautiful Missouri Ozarks home. When not writing, this homesteading mother is busy raising three boys or tending the family’s myriad of animals, which includes alpacas, goats, chickens and ducks. Huffman’s optimistic and somewhat quirky view of life often finds its way into her novels.

Heather is the author of ten novels, including Throwaway, Jailbird, and her latest relea...more
More about Heather Huffman...
Throwaway Jailbird Ties That Bind Devil in Disguise Tumbleweed