Start by marking “102 Solutions to Common Writing Mistakes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
102 Solutions to Commo...

Bob Mayer

102 Solutions to Common Writing Mistakes

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Bob Mayer has taught thousands of writers over the years through writer conferences, retreats and his own Novel Writing Workshop and now his innovative new Warrior Writer Workshop. One of things he's noticed in may workshops is how the focus is always on the problems and mistakes writers make, but no one ever focuses on the solutions and how to correct these problems. 102 ...more
Published September 30th 2010 by Who Dares Wins Publishing (first published March 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 102 Solutions to Common Writing Mistakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 102 Solutions to Common Writing Mistakes

colorwalk
I have mixed feelings about this book. I think it would've been better to call it 70 Common Writing Mistakes as opposed to 70 solutions to these mistakes. It serves well as a list of things to keep in mind, perhaps even as a checklist to go through for your novel. However, it falls very short in the area of how to fix these mistakes.

The solutions range anywhere from not helpful in the least to very generic (almost frustratingly so), a lot of which gave me a "Well, DUH!" reaction. Often times, th
Amy
Jun 30, 2012 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Writer
I have such respect for Bob Mayer, not just as a writer, but a teacher and a conduit of information. Bob has a remarkable way of relaying important information that would otherwise be drab and dull. 102 Solutions to common writing mistakes is exactly as it states, however, it is much much more. Bob takes you into his brain (a writers brain) tells you why the mistake is made and how to not only fix it, but ways to avoid the same error in the future. As a writer, I really appreciate his voice, he ...more
Karen
The book comes off as being written on the fly, since there are a lot of grammatical mistakes. I'm glad I got it for free, otherwise I would have been extremely disappointed in the quality. Despite that, there are some good tips to be found in the pages. It covers a lot of basics that I already knew, but there were some points that gave me ideas and got me thinking.
Julie L
As a first-time novelist, this book was very helpful to me. It not only confirmed my approach in some areas, but, more important, gave me a lot of insight into characterization, plot, and conflict. There was a lot of information packed into this book: Do not let the conciseness of the book fool you.

I highly recommend this book to beginning writers.
هناء يونس
كتاب ممتاز جدا جدا . ببعض من النظر وجدت أني وقعت في كم لا بأس من الأخطاء في كتابي الأول ، وسيساعدني بالفعل في تنقيح الكتاب في الطبعة الثانية بإذن الله . كما أكسبني بعضاً من مهارة نقد الكتب الأخرى والمشاهد التمثيلية . أعتقد أن أي كاتب قصصي سيحتاح -ولابد - إلى قراءته .
Cyn
This was a basic - but great - list that probably all writers should pay attention to. A quick read, lots of helpful advice ... or reminders, if you will, on what to avoid as a writer. Recommended.
Carrie Daws
Apr 16, 2012 Carrie Daws rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers
Shelves: writing
Very good. Lots of honest, practical advice from a writer who's already made many of the mistakes he talks about. Learn from him so you don't have to make the mistakes, too!
Leyla Shuri
A must-read book for writers. All the questions a writer needs to know are in this book.
Arkady D.
Dec 09, 2011 Arkady D. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to write something.
Shelves: writing
Sure you've made some of them.
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Anna Kathryn Lanier
Anna Kathryn Lanier marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ryan Campbell
Ryan Campbell marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Parisa
Parisa marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Mcmunn
Mcmunn marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Sasha Cottman
Sasha Cottman marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Mister
Mister added it
May 12, 2014
Jen Olson
Jen Olson marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Suliman
Suliman marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
19006
Bob Mayer is a West Point graduate, former Green Beret and a New York Times Bestselling Author. He has sold over five million books. He is also the Co-Creator of Cool Gus Publishing.

Bob reads whatever his wife tells him to read-- she's a voracious reader and has wide-ranging tastes as my reviews show. He reads a lot of nonfiction, mostly for research. Lately he's been reading a lot about Kennedy
More about Bob Mayer...
Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2) Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1) Bodyguard of Lies (The Cellar, #1) Area 51 (Area 51, #1) Eyes of the Hammer (The Green Berets, #1)