Start by marking “102 Solutions to Common Writing Mistakes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
102 Solutions to Commo...

Bob Mayer

102 Solutions to Common Writing Mistakes

Bob Mayer has taught thousands of writers over the years through writer conferences, retreats and his own Novel Writing Workshop and now his innovative new Warrior Writer Workshop. One of things he's noticed in may workshops is how the focus is always on the problems and mistakes writers make, but no one ever focuses on the solutions and how to correct these problems. 102 ...more
Published September 30th 2010 by Who Dares Wins Publishing (first published March 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 102 Solutions to Common Writing Mistakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 102 Solutions to Common Writing Mistakes

colorwalk
I have mixed feelings about this book. I think it would've been better to call it 70 Common Writing Mistakes as opposed to 70 solutions to these mistakes. It serves well as a list of things to keep in mind, perhaps even as a checklist to go through for your novel. However, it falls very short in the area of how to fix these mistakes.

The solutions range anywhere from not helpful in the least to very generic (almost frustratingly so), a lot of which gave me a "Well, DUH!" reaction. Often times, th
Amy
Jun 30, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Writer
I have such respect for Bob Mayer, not just as a writer, but a teacher and a conduit of information. Bob has a remarkable way of relaying important information that would otherwise be drab and dull. 102 Solutions to common writing mistakes is exactly as it states, however, it is much much more. Bob takes you into his brain (a writers brain) tells you why the mistake is made and how to not only fix it, but ways to avoid the same error in the future. As a writer, I really appreciate his voice, he ...more
Karen
Feb 02, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read-digital
The book comes off as being written on the fly, since there are a lot of grammatical mistakes. I'm glad I got it for free, otherwise I would have been extremely disappointed in the quality. Despite that, there are some good tips to be found in the pages. It covers a lot of basics that I already knew, but there were some points that gave me ideas and got me thinking.
J.L.
Mar 14, 2012 J.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a first-time novelist, this book was very helpful to me. It not only confirmed my approach in some areas, but, more important, gave me a lot of insight into characterization, plot, and conflict. There was a lot of information packed into this book: Do not let the conciseness of the book fool you.

I highly recommend this book to beginning writers.
هناء يونس
Jan 04, 2013 هناء يونس rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب ممتاز جدا جدا . ببعض من النظر وجدت أني وقعت في كم لا بأس من الأخطاء في كتابي الأول ، وسيساعدني بالفعل في تنقيح الكتاب في الطبعة الثانية بإذن الله . كما أكسبني بعضاً من مهارة نقد الكتب الأخرى والمشاهد التمثيلية . أعتقد أن أي كاتب قصصي سيحتاح -ولابد - إلى قراءته .
Carrie Daws
Jan 18, 2012 Carrie Daws rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers
Shelves: writing
Very good. Lots of honest, practical advice from a writer who's already made many of the mistakes he talks about. Learn from him so you don't have to make the mistakes, too!
Cyn
Aug 04, 2011 Cyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a basic - but great - list that probably all writers should pay attention to. A quick read, lots of helpful advice ... or reminders, if you will, on what to avoid as a writer. Recommended.
Julie-ann
Julie-ann rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Petra
Petra rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Leyla Shuri
Jul 14, 2012 Leyla Shuri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
A must-read book for writers. All the questions a writer needs to know are in this book.
keltoum chahidi
keltoum chahidi rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2013
Chubby Builder
Chubby Builder rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
Suzanne Lilly
Suzanne Lilly rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Wiktoria
Wiktoria rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Tori
Tori rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2013
Pange
Pange rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
LKM
LKM rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Rashad Pharaon
Rashad Pharaon rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
William Frisbee
William Frisbee rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Jam Mayer
Jam Mayer rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Jane O'Reilly
Jane O'Reilly rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Arkady
Dec 09, 2011 Arkady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to write something.
Shelves: writing
Sure you've made some of them.
Lobna sameer
Lobna sameer rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Palle Dixon
Palle Dixon rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Andreea
Andreea rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
19006
I'm a West Point graduate, former Green Beret and a New York Times Bestselling Author. I've sold over five million books. I'm also the Co-Creator of Cool Gus Publishing.

I read whatever my wife tells me to read-- she's a voracious reader and has wide-ranging tastes as my reviews show (she also always has the TV remote and she's always right about what to watch). I read a lot of nonfiction, mostly
More about Bob Mayer...