Start by marking “Spin the Plate Short Story” as Want to Read:
Spin the Plate Short Story

Spin the Plate Short Story

Amazon is offering FREE the full novel version - Spin the Plate: a Novel. Upload yours today before this promotion ends.

Spin the Plate is the story of a woman who has come through a traumatic childhood not battered and broken, but powerful and enraged. A tattoo artist by day, Jo roams the city streets nightly to forget her past and feed her two passions: rescuing mistreate
Published January 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Spin the Plate Short Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spin the Plate Short Story

Birgit
Apr 07, 2011 Birgit rated it it was ok
I guess it's rather unusal to be able to read single short-stories, because they are seldomly offered that way and, most importantly, rarely work as stand-alone stories, but through combination with a whole collection.
First of all I have to say, I really likes both the elaborate depictions as well as the descriptive writing style which gives the characters depth which can't often be found in such short works. Donna Anastasi also perfectly manages to pull the reader right into the world of Jo, t
Terri-Maree
Feb 24, 2011 Terri-Maree rated it it was amazing
Spin the Plate short story, is a story that cannot be described as a set genre - there are so many aspects to it. When I started reading it, I did not know what to expect from Spin the Plate - I was a bit taken aback by Jo and her brashness. But then you start to realise that no one is born that way, but rather you become that way because of something that happens to you. And then we learn what happens to Jo to turn her into this hardened person.

When Jo meets Francis she is vexed by his question
Darlene
Jun 18, 2012 Darlene rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who can handle the drama of horrible real life, not sure that's me (LOL)
Recommended to Darlene by: A free offer (from author?)
What an interested story! Though the subject matter was full of horror stories, the author was able to give us enough information without going into the gory details. By writing it this way, we were able to know the more positive sides of the story. For this it is worth 5 stars.

I have nothing against Christianity, I consider myself a Christian. But I think those parts of the story were over-done. The main character's thoughts lead us in the right direction. The rest is distracting to the story.
Linda Dao
Feb 23, 2011 Linda Dao rated it really liked it
I first noticed this because of the cover. Which I absolutely loved. The main character, Jo, who at the beginning lives a very mysterious life, is tranformed by Francis, her lover. I was quite astonished by her love of animals. She has a silent, but violent side. Perhaps because of her abusive father and her submissive mother. Francis comes inte her life unexpectedly and changes it for the better. This book also talks about faith and the importance of accepting that God has a higher plan. "Spin ...more
Amy
Mar 04, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Sad, touching, and beautiful are the three words I would use to describe this story. This version is a very short version of the novel, but it was well done. The characters developed well for the amount of writing that I got to read. At the end, the description about Francis was a little confusing, but I do not think it took anything away from the main point of the story. He is helping her realize that just because bad things happen in your life, that there is always time to move on. This does h ...more
J. Ewbank
Feb 11, 2011 J. Ewbank rated it liked it
Shelves: a-good-read
This book by Anastasi earns the name of the title. The main character has the world spin for her. It is an interesting short story, one that could be rewriteen to make a longer book because there is material that she could use in order to do so. It is an interesting kind of love story and yet not fully a love story, about the changes that people can go through and het not just that. You enjoy the characteres and look for more information and more develoopment, so again, there could be even a lon ...more
Rhonda
Feb 27, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it
I was given the book to review. I liked it. Joe is a tough young tattoo artist. She hides her looks and how strong she is. She rescues animals and takes care of them fixes them up and finds homes for them. Hardly talks to anyone. She was sexually abused.
Francis see hers and follows her and gets her to go to dinner. He lives with 3 aunts and you dont know what he does till the end of the book.
the book was easy to read and was smooth in the story. you cared for joe and francis and wanted things to
Charlie
Feb 06, 2011 Charlie rated it liked it
This is the story about a woman named Jo, who had a very traumatic childhood. She grows up to be a tattoo artist, which is the highlight of the whole story, because (though mentioned briefly) you know she really loves her job, is very passionate about it.

However, the romance with Francis didn't feel right to me at all. I know that Spin the Plate is a short story, but for me, the romance didn't fit in right.

The main story how she over comes her childhood was good, and the cover was so very beauti
Donna Anastasi
Mar 15, 2011 Donna Anastasi rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I sincerely appreciate all of the reviewers who have taken the time to share their thoughts on "Spin the Plate Short Story" offered FREE on Amazon and B&N.

I am working on another free short story entitled "In God's Name," so watch out for that on Amazon.

The full novel, "Spin the Plate," has its own page here on Goodreads. It is now also FREE as an e-Book from iTunes, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.
Cathy
Aug 11, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I don't know the basis for the title. I don't know why it is published as a short story and as a longer novel.
About a woman who was sexually abused as a young child by her father. She, through normal growth and an exercise campaign, has topped out at 250 lbs. and is so threatening in her aspect that none will mess with her now.
She meets a man on the train who, ultimately, turns her life around.
Not a bad story but I imagine the novel might be a better read.
Norma
Feb 12, 2011 Norma rated it liked it
Very touching, yet hard tale of a woman who faces her father down after dealing with a child hood of incest.

There were moments in this story that were a little to difficult to read about.

It was definitely well written and a great story. However, like I said, there were scenes that were a little too intense for me.

I received this short story for of the ebook from LibraryThing Member Giveaways in exchange for a review.
Joan
Aug 27, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just started reading short stories, flash fiction and anthologys. I really liked Spin The Plate short story. I'm sure I'll like the novel even better. This story of a sexually abused tattoo artist who learns to find and heal herself through a caring man who gives her the time of day was an inspriring character driven story.
Josie
Apr 20, 2013 Josie rated it liked it
This short story is a bit strange in that the romance piece seems grafted onto Jo's story. Other reviewers have described it well so I won't repeat any of that. However, it is well written. I hope that in the future the author consider not trying to constrain herself to any particular genre and instead focus in letting the story unfold.
Staci
Feb 21, 2013 Staci rated it it was ok
This story is not what one would expect and there are some plot points that just happen without really being set up or explained. This book may be more for someone who wants an atypical...not love story and not romance but something sort of like them.
Christy Blank
Christy Blank rated it did not like it
May 04, 2011
Kathie
Kathie rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Mp
Mp rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2014
Tanja
Tanja rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2011
Jessica Martin
Jessica Martin rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2011
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Tammy Webber
Tammy Webber rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2014
Rebecca NJ
Rebecca NJ rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2011
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2012
T'ana
T'ana rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Jodi-ann Osbourne
Jodi-ann Osbourne rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Stacy Wells
Stacy Wells rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2012
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2014