Start by marking “Morse''s Greatest Mystery and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Morse''s Greatest Myst...

Colin Dexter

Morse''s Greatest Mystery and Other Stories (Inspector Morse #10.5)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  760 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
"DELIGHTFUL."
--The Wall Street Journal In short mysteries so brilliantly plotted they'll confound the cleverest of souls, Inspector Morse remains as patient as a cat at a mouse hole in the face of even the most resourceful evildoers. Muldoon, for instance, the one-legged bomber with one fatal weakness . . . the quartet of lovers whose bizarre entanglements Morse deciphers
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1995 by Recorded Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Morse''s Greatest Mystery and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morse''s Greatest Mystery and Other Stories

Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Rob Smith
Nov 20, 2014 Rob Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
I'm not usually a fan of a short story collection, but this one is outstanding. I also don't give five stars lightly. I feel the overall book deserves them. I'll add that not all may love this set of stories. Those who love real mysteries will love these. Those who love James Patterson or Sandra Brown are likely not to like them.

Dexter really has a flair for crafting a short mystery. No easy task. Sorry there is only one collection of short stories. Still hope for more from Dexter.

The tales in t
Jill Holmes
Apr 22, 2013 Jill Holmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've heard it said that you can tell a great novelist by the short stories he or she writes. "Morse's Greatest Mystery" is a short story collection by Colin Dexter, the genius who gave the world Chief Inspector Morse and Sergeant Lewis. The eleven stories include six about Morse and five more mysteries that vary in setting, character, and plot teases. That, indeed, is one of Dexter's many gifts; he is able to tease out a story inch by inch with buckets full of red herrings in a standard Morse my ...more
blushenka
Feb 24, 2013 blushenka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I don't understand why some Morse fans do not like this little collection of lighthearted tales (some featuring Morse, some not). Here are a bunch of clever, funny, unassuming stories, with a twist towards the end which leaves the reader, well it left me - smiling. In the stories which feature Morse, the angst which the novels have accustomed us with is not present, but his interaction with Lewis is as good as ever and their relationship is still heartwarming. The Sherlock Holmes story is a play
Roberta
This is another series of books I started reading only after seeing the TV adaptations. I really enjoyed watching all three Morse series on the tube and he is a great character in the books. However, this book of short stories is not as good as the novels I've read so far. Some of the short stories in this book are not Morse stories and, oddly, I think those might have been the best ones.

I thought as I read "Dead as a Dodo" that it would have been an absolutely perfect story for Sherlock Holmes
Lorraine Montgomery
Inspector Morse, Colin Dexter's famous — or is that infamous — Chief Inspector from Oxford CID is featured in this collection of eleven short stories. It came to my notice last week as another blogger was reviewing it and I immediately thought it would be particularly timely since one of the stories is a Christmas story.

Each of the stories begins with a famous and familiar quotation, is a very quick, enjoyable read, and displays a series of twists demonstrating the quick wit of a criminal or the
Ron
Oct 23, 2014 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
We were not Inspector Morse fans until watching ENDEAVOUR, the recent prequel on TV. Then I tried this collection of stories instead of wading into a novel. It was so-so. Not all the stories feature Morse and Sgt. Lewis. Maybe the best one is an homage to Sherlock Holmes, in which Sherlock and his brother Mycroft match wits, and Watson turns out to be the one to solve the mystery. While owing their inspiration to Holmes' method of crime solving and his working relationship to Dr. Watson, Dexter' ...more
Dignan107
Nov 18, 2011 Dignan107 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mix of light-hearted stories. Some Morse some not. The prison escape was my favourite with 'Last Call' another enjoyable read. Well worth a re-read at some future stage. Highly recommended
Ellen
Jul 17, 2014 Ellen rated it it was amazing

Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories (Inspector Morse Mysteries)

Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories (Inspector Morse Mysteries)
by Colin Dexter

5.0 out of 5 stars Short Stories NOT short changed, August 18, 2013

This review is from: Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories (Inspector Morse Mysteries) Morse's Greatest Mystery and other Short Stories by Colin Dexter

Let me begin by giving the list of short Stories in this wonderful book that include Inspector Morse & Lewis, all of
Carol
Apr 06, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I’ll start off by saying that Dexter is just as good at writing short stories as he is at writing novels. Now, how many people can pull that off? I wish I could (and perhaps I may, one day!). So, Dexter’s versatile, and funny, and, in this set of stories, as clever as usual.

Herein lies also a nice variety of tales. Some are Morse tales, told within the context of the earliest of the Morse movies that aired on B.B.C. in the late eighties and early nineties. Morse is drinking a lot, but is still
Kristina
Jan 16, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A selection of unusal short stories. Some are from the criminal perspective, some focus on the morality of the detectives, and others look at the convoluted reasoning behind the crimes. Mostly featuring Morse though one takes a look at Holmes's deductive reasoning. These aren't your typical crime tales.
Jennie Rigg
Oct 17, 2015 Jennie Rigg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection of short stories, about a third of which are Morse. Probably my favourite is the Sherlock Holmes rewrite, although that jockeys with the titular Greatest Mystery, which b is both the shortest and the most emotionally complete story in the book.
Samantha
Nov 30, 2015 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audiobook. It was difficult. The narrator annoyed me no end, as he has in other audiobooks. Also, I should have read the description more closely. I was expecting a collection of Morse stories and didn't find the non-Morse stories engaging.
Melissa
Jun 27, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've seen one or two Inspector Morse mysteries on TV but have never read him, so I picked up this collection of short stories to see what I thought. Not all of these stories feature Morse, and offer a number of different plots including muder, prison escape, and good old-fashioned confidence games. What I liked about these stories is that Dexter does not hand the solution to the reader neatly wrapped up in an expositional paragraph or dialogue. As the reader I actually get to use my brain to com ...more
Lucy Barnhouse
Charming stories, erudite, well-plotted, and well-written. Morse and Lewis are a pleasure to spend time with, as always. A bonus is Dexter's affectionate, not-too-reverent imagining of an adventure shared by the Holmes brothers and the good Dr. Watson.
Annette
Jul 23, 2016 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful collection of eleven short stories. It includes several about Inspector Morse, one about Sherlock Holmes and a mix of other delightful stories. My favorites were "Evans tries an O-Level" and "Monty's Revolver".
Christopher
I do appreciate most of the short stories for what they are, brilliant. I don't know what other people think, but the short story titled at the Lulu Bar Motel, doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the stories and it seems misjudged.
Daniel Weir
Jul 29, 2014 Daniel Weir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I could have wanted more Morse stories but there are gems in this collection, including a tale about Sherlock and Mycroft and Watson, that no fan of Dexter should overlook.
Paul Servini
May 03, 2016 Paul Servini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last of the volumes of Morse mysteries for me to read. These stories lived up to their promise and the title story was a little gem.
Michel
May 27, 2015 Michel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, shorts
Good bye, Endeavour Morse.
I guess Dexter got tired of him, and gave up developing these novellas into novels. As is, this book lacks atmosphere.
Shame he didn't think of a Lewis and Hathaway sequel.
David Highton
Jan 01, 2016 David Highton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some clever short stories, not all involving Morse. Not as good as the full length novels
Hayley Edwards
Not too bad for short stories though I did think they were all going to be Morse based but weren't
Matt Jones
mostly poor, but a couple of decent short stories
Lisa Stammers
Jan 26, 2016 Lisa Stammers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First class as always from Dexter.Sherlock was a real treat.
Denise
Thoroughly enjoyable
Tom
Jan 28, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable selection of short stories that leaves you wanting more.
Helle
Aug 29, 2016 Helle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Morse’s Greatest Mystery and Other Stories an amusing collection of short stories, which overall I liked, but it didn’t exactly rock my world.
Nathan Willard
Sep 07, 2010 Nathan Willard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Eh. Dexter, even more than Sayers, needs more ramp-up time to develop his plots. There were a couple of vaguely interesting stories here, but almost all were extremely abrupt and had more of the confusing obliqueness that characterizes Dexter than the despair-followed-by-sudden-brilliance that makes you empathize with the grumpy old man. The Holmes story was funny but lacked the brilliance of, say, Gaiman's Study in Emerald.

Samantha
Oct 08, 2011 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Not one of my favourite Morse books, I am a bit of a completist so since I am reading all the novels in order read this one too. Be warned over half the stories aren't Morse ones at all. I thought some of them were pretty lame and ended before they'd hardly begun may be the problem is mine as I am not over fond of short stories. Wouldn't recommend.
Dark-Draco
Apr 13, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this, although I found some of the stories a bit predictable. To be honest, it was the non-Morse stories that I liked the best - I didn't actually like the character of Morse as it was written - too miserable!! Unfortunately, I can't remember any of the story titles, but I liked the one about the escaping prisoner the best.
  • A Rumpole Christmas
  • A New Lease of Death (Inspector Wexford, #2)
  • Cleanskin
  • The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries
  • Dialogues of the Dead (Dalziel & Pascoe, #19)
  • The Young Manhood of Studs Lonigan
  • Hand in Glove
  • The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories
  • Flint
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces)
  • The Zookeeper's War
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • Wasted Years (Charles Resnick, #5)
Norman Colin Dexter, OBE (born 29 September 1930 in Stamford, Lincolnshire) is an English crime writer, known for his Inspector Morse novels.

He started writing mysteries in 1972 during a family holiday: "We were in a little guest house halfway between Caernarfon and Pwllheli. It was a Saturday and it was raining - it's not unknown for it to rain in North Wales. The children were moaning ... I was
More about Colin Dexter...

Inspector Morse (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse, #1)
  • Last Seen Wearing (Inspector Morse, #2)
  • The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (Inspector Morse, #3)
  • Service of All the Dead (Inspector Morse, #4)
  • The Dead of Jericho (Inspector Morse, #5)
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse, #7)
  • The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8)
  • The Jewel That Was Ours (Inspector Morse, #9)
  • The Way Through The Woods (Inspector Morse, #10)

“she had the inestimable merit of being interesting.” 1 likes
“Wives invariably flourish when deserted; it is the deserting male who often ends in disaster. (William McFee)” 0 likes