Start by marking “Next Word, Better Word: The Craft of Writing Poetry” as Want to Read:
Next Word, Better Word: The Craft of Writing Poetry
Preview

Next Word, Better Word: The Craft of Writing Poetry

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This accessible writer's guide provides a helpful framework forcreating poetry andnavigates contemporary concerns and practices. Stephen Dobyns author of the classic book on the beauty of poetry, Best Words, Best Order, moves into new terrain in this remarkable book.Bringing years of experience to bear onissues such as subject matter, the mechanics of poetry,and the revisi ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Next Word, Better Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Next Word, Better Word

Richard
I can't figure out just yet if I've become much more well read since I read Best Words Best Order and so his references seem less convincing to me, or if Dobyns' treatise in the last essay of this book, about (among other things, including the history of language) how poetry has fallen into a kind of residual position, with poets themselves to blame, is indicative of the essence of his fall of late in my opinion. His more recent poetry collections have ranged from rather plain to unreadable, and ...more
Nina
I found this book to be a mix of fascinating, helpful chapters, and ones that had my eyes and brain glazed. I approached reading this book as a writer. My favorite chapters are Chapter 3, Line breaks, Chapter 8, Closure, and Chapter 9, Revision. If you are interested in the philosophical background to writing techniques, several of the other chapters should satisfy you.

Dobyns is a master at using example poems and taking them apart word by word, line by line, to demonstrate salient points. I wo
Euan Semple
Thoroughly enjoyed this. His enthusiasm for poetry and clear unpretentious commentary on what works and why was a joy to read.
Caroline
Bores me! But I really liked Best Words, Best Order, so I was excited about this, then disappointed. It just seems to fall into a weird No Man's Zone of readership-- folks who know about poetry already know this stuff. So, I kept thinking maybe this would be good as an intro text? but no, it wouldn't.
JoAnn Jordan
This is a very technical book on the craft of poetry. It studies verse from various periods of history to illustrate the elements of poetry. I did not find it inspiring, but more educational.

I would recommend this book to those studying poetry in an academic setting.
Gerry LaFemina
Dobyns has a brilliant mind for talking about poems, and this book is a wonderful read. He falls apart, though, when he trips over his various attempts at discussing a four-tiered system of accents, which makes sense but is overly convoluted.
Todd
Part of this book = Really good stuff about writing
Part of this book = Really pretentious literary snobbery

It's a good book. If it were half as long, it would be a great book.
Patrick Mcgee
A solid book on writing poetry. Not as good as Dobyn's first one but great nonetheless. All aspiring poets should check this one out. Recommended.
William
William marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Lily
Lily is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2015
Ryan M
Ryan M marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
James Ritter
James Ritter is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Sara Coverdale
Sara Coverdale marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kari Mcarthur Stevenson
Kari Mcarthur Stevenson marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Christina Rodriguez
Christina Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Kim Langley
Kim Langley marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dobyns was raised in New Jersey, Michigan, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. He was educated at Shimer College, graduated from Wayne State University, and received an MFA from the Iowa Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa in 1967. He has worked as a reporter for the Detroit News.

He has taught at various academic institutions, including Sarah Lawrence College, the Warren Wilson College MFA Program
More about Stephen Dobyns...
The Church Of Dead Girls The Burn Palace Boy in the Water Best Words, Best Order: Essays on Poetry Velocities: New and Selected Poems, 1966-1992

“For the past thirty years or so, much American poetry has been marked by an earnestness that rejects the comic. This has nothing to do with seriousness. The comic can be very serious. The trouble with the earnest is that it seeks to be commended. It seeks to be praised for its intention more than for what it is saying.” 4 likes