Start by marking “Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3)

Bridge of Souls (The Quickening #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,105 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Time is short. The proposed marriage of Valentyna and Celimus draws ever closer, but Wyl's latest guise leaves him powerless to intervene. His plans in ruins, the former General of the Legion becomes more and more reckless in his attempts to prevent the union of his mortal enemy and the woman he loves.
Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages
Published December 1st 2005 by Orbit (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridge of Souls

Mily Lou
I loved the first book, was still fascinated by the second book, but by the start of the third book I thought I know what to expect. After all, Wyl Stark had the curse of Myrren's Gift, which caused him to switch bodies with whomever kills him. Crazy twists had already happened because of this. I assumed more would. But the ending had to be predictable, right? I mean, all he had to do was get killed by the evil King Celimus who was to marry Wyl's true love, Valentyna, and all would be right, yes ...more
Seán
Bridge of Souls will sadly forever be the book that 'turned me off fantasy'.

Or so I thought upon finishing it. I was so utterly and completely jaded from the series as a whole, so disappointed by such a lacklustre finish to what had already been a 'maybe it will pick up again soon' journey that I couldn't stomach another fantasy novel for a good three years. That's a pretty major impact for a single book.

The Quickening series itself is a rollercoaster of ups and downs. As the series entered its
Aelvana
Having learned much of the gift he bears, Wyl sets off to do whatever he can to prevent the marriage between Queen Valentyna and King Celimus. At the moment, in his current state, he's still trying to figure out what. The best he can hope for is to provoke Celimus into killing him, thereby becoming the sovereign of Morgravia and ending Wyl's curse. It isn't an end that particularly appeals to him---Wyl's spent too much of his life hating Celimus to want to become him. But time fast trickles away ...more
Angela R.
A wonderful ending to a delightful series. The author employs many conventional fantasy conventions, but skillfully weaves in some unexpected and unique elements which heighten the suspense and really kept me reading well into the night. So often I'm disappointed at the ending with a series like this, but not this time. I'll definitely be looking for other books by this author!
Lowed
I'm Done! I'm Done!! Not only that it's action-packed. It's also peppered with deceit, betrayal, and hmmm.. forbidden love.

And what was that famous line from Kung Fu Panda again? That damn line just kept on popping up in my head halfway through the book.

oh yeah! SHEER AWESOMENESS!!!!
Michael Harry
Well it didn't end it quite the predictable way I thought it would and that was a good thing. Be warned though, the author likes killing off characters even more than George RR Martin though if you've made it this far (book 3) then you probably know this already.
Liz Cozens
Nov 23, 2008 Liz Cozens rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fantasy
Sad it's all over. Loved the ending, not what I expected which was good as I would have been disappointed if it had ended the way it seemed like it would. That may not make sense but I'm sure it will if you read it.
Drake
The secondary plot introduced in the second book diverges almost entirely from the main storyline here, confirming impressions that it should really have been a separate series.

Worth borrowing, not buying.
Stargirl
De péripéties en péripéties, toujours autant de plaisir à suivre Wyl pour ce dernier tome à la hauteur du reste!
Swiftsea
GingerDoll
Having read all three books with dogged determination, several issues became apparent to me by book three.

Firstly character viewpoint. Sloppy and badly executed, we are pitched from head to head as the author seeks to enlighten us on the feelings of every bit player from start to finish. Enough already. I had hoped that it would be cured by the final book, but alas it appears her editors are either very poor, or that she has some kind of hold over them.

High and low swings: the violence can be q
Josh
A fairly predictable conclusion to a decent story. Despite the author's attempts to throw some doubt into the outcome, it was hard to see this coming out almost any other way. (ok, it wasn't exactly the way I predicted, or had been forecast by the author, but the result was close enough that I think my complaint rings true)

The use of magic as deus ex machina was a consistent problem throughout this series, and some of the actions of secondary characters to screw up the plans of the major player
T J
General Wyl finds out being a woman isn't so easy and time is not on his side. As his friends cope with their own dramas their stories are heading for the climax that will leave you guessing to the very end on who will survive and who will die. Love this one exciting read!
Kari
I enjoyed this triology more than I expected to. Never really read fantasy before, the kind with names and places you're not sure you are pronouncing right!, so was something new for me. It wasn't something to prompt deep thinking but was a good escape and an interesting plot and characters. Magic, plots, murder, treachery and love, you can't really go wrong! The end seemed a bit too neat and tidy but that's probably just me being picky. Also she suddenly started having the characters swearing i ...more
Rachael
A nice read, good enough that I bought all three books and I really enjoyed reading them, however it did lack a little something :)
Matt Joslin
Dec 13, 2014 Matt Joslin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kelly Akin
A well written, for the better part, page turner. I quite enjoyed the series and plan to read more from this author.
Diana
Neill Smith
As Wil as Ylena works his way to Briavel to see Queen Valentyna, Celimus consolidates his hold on Morgravia by eliminating noble families and continuing his suit to marry Valentyna. Rashlyn refines his powers of transforming Cailech’s enemies into beasts but Fynch is coming to realize his powers and responsibilities to combat Rashlyn’s magic. Cailech is convinced to seek an alliance with Celimus and Valentyna. As the Quickening plays out Wil finds his roles complicated as events beyond his contr ...more
Ashley
Incredible ending to this story! I really enjoyed all the little twists and turns the book takes till the very end is revealed :)
Christel Mirassou
Ça-y-est c'est fini, malheureusement. En effet on s'attache facilement à Wyl Thirsk, notre héros, et on se demande à chaque chapitre dans quel corps son âme va se réincarner. On se prend d'amitié aussi pour le petit Fynch, et on se surprend à pleurer de peur pour lui. Par contre on se réjouit du sort du roi Celimus... Ce dernier tome est plein de rebondissements, et la fin que l'on pense si évidente ne l'est pas autant. Cette histoire est à la fois terrible et fantastique dans tous les sens du t ...more
Audeline
L'histoire est rondement menée pour nous faire bouillonner d'impatience et l'auteur nous emmène uniquement là où elle l'a décidé! J'ai trouvé plus de répétitions dans les expressions dans ce livre-ci que dans les autres - peut-être parce que je l'ai lu plus vite, je ne sais pas - mais cela n'entache rien au style sublime de l'auteur. Après une si longue aventure, j'ai ressenti la peur que la fin me déçoive mais elle m'a beaucoup plu, au contraire. Une vraie bonne surprise que cette trilogie!
Darkpoca
Fin de la trilogie. De nouveau plein de morts et beaucoup de suspense. Celimus est toujours plus méchant (est-ce possible ?) mais ça finira par le rattraper. J'ai quand même trouvé la fin très happy ending pour tout le monde ou presque et quelque part un peu décevante vu la noirceur générale de la série. Quelque chose ne va pas bien chez moi ?

Je conseille la lecture de cette série car assez originale sur le concept et pas mal ficelée et surprenante.
Lisa H.
Meh. I'm not sure whether the third book was actually better than the prior two, or if my tolerance for magical dogs and sentient underbrush and the vagaries of a killing curse just went up after this long an exposure.

I think the writing was better. Some. There were still some pretty epicly cringe-worthy moments, though.
Ruth
c2004. Nice end to the trilogy but I am sure it was much longer than the plot deserved. And then the end seemed to come rushing in the last 50 pages or so. Satisfying conclusion for all the characters with the exclusion of Fynch's story line and I am not quite sure whether or not I really understood it. I read the words and the explanation given but it just didn't gel. Perhaps it was a last minute reprieve. Still recommended though.
Suzie
I couldn't put this series down - really loved it.

A satisfying ending too, which also turned out to be a slight surprise.

Likeable characters, although how they could endure SO much incessant tragedy without going completely bonkers is a testament to Morgravian stoicism ....

Enjoyed the whole scenario of butch hero enduring monthly cramps too!
Aaron
The ending was very lame resulting in me lowering my review by a star. I mean, come on! All his problems are just suddenly solved by by a magic that no one could predict. This series overall was way too slow - too much buildup to finally overthrowing the kings. More needed to happen in the first two books. a very disappointing series overall.
Carolynn
I really loved this trilogy (the 5 stars really are for the whole thing). I could not put it down! There were so many twists and turns and it always kept me thinking about what might happen next. It was truly a unique plot line, but I'm hesitant to write much more here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to read it.
Monica Hall
I'm sorry a lot of people didn't enjoy this series. I did. I've read a lot of crappy fantasy... This isn't it. This is actually good story telling with a lot of interesting twists turns. I think the point worth noting is this-- you know where the story ends up, the surprises are in the journey there. I enjoyed it.
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #3)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • Fallowblade (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #4)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi
More about Fiona McIntosh...

The Quickening (3 books)
  • Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1)
  • Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2)
Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1) Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2) Royal Exile (Valisar, #1) Odalisque (Percheron, #1) Betrayal (Trinity, #1)