Start by marking “Immortal” as Want to Read:

Immortal (Immortal #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,017 ratings  ·  106 reviews
IMMORTAL is a first person confessional, penned by a man who is immortal but not invincible. In an artful blending of sci-fi, adventure, fantasy and humor, Immortal introduces us to a world with vampires, demons and other "magical" creatures, yet a world without actual magic. It is a contemporary fantasy for non-fantasy readers and enthusiasts alike.
Nook, 0 pages
Published November 27th 2010 by Hamel Integrity Publishing, Inc. (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Immortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal

Astrid Paramita
Immortal tells a story about Adam, a man who existed (most likely, according to Adam) since the beginning of mankind. He was not your typical immortal superhero guy with superpowers nor was he the most handsome man in the universe. Adam was more or less like a normal human; except that he stopped aging at thirty-two, has a super immune system, and a whole lot more story to tell.
To me, it was a modern book about being immortal. It’s funny and sarcastic (which I love!), and at the same time it’s a
Mike (the Paladin)
Odd interesting book. I found (a few years ago) that I like good Urban Fantasy, thus I'm always looking for new "good" Urban Fantasy. This one was suggested on the books like Harry Dresden thread.When I started this novel and began to get acquainted with our erstwhile protagonist the book ran hot and cold for me.

Adam is immortal, he just doesn't age or die. Oh he can get hurt, he believes that (in spite of his rapid healing ability) he can be killed...though up to now that hasn't happened. He's
From author/publisher

"Part science fiction fantasy, part action adventure and thriller, Gene Doucette creates the perfect balance of humor and edge-of-your-seat anticipation in this genre-defying story of an immortal man named Adam, who finds himself battling demons and bounty hunters in his eternal search for Eve, the red haired mystery woman of his dreams. Witty and wonderful, with a bite of sarcasm, Immortal is a five star read for any fiction lover. " (Book Blurb submitted by yours truly!)

Lukas Lovas
Perfect :) Just....perfect. The homour of this book is the best I've read in some time. I like the language, the writing style.....and I loved the story and main character. I don't like gushing I'll just say, that I loved this book, it never bore me, and it made me laugh almost continuously. I applaud the author and thank him for this experience :)
5 out of 5 stars! Wow, this book is a true gem. This was tailor-made exactly to my likings. I give props to the author for being very original. It's got contemporary, historical, lust, fantasy, adventure, and mystery - all blended together. I've always been into the whole immortality concept, but I was so glad this time the main character was actually a human!

So Adam, one of the many names he goes by, is an immortal man who's been around for approximately 60,000 years. During that time, languag
Sue London
Sep 27, 2010 Sue London rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Gene Doucette
Immortal is probably the modern (and historical) fantasy you've been seeking.

By the end of the first chapter I was fairly convinced that Gene Doucette had found this manuscript between seats on the subway because it had clearly been written as a collaboration by some of my favorite authors while they were sharing a bottle of whiskey. He has the wit of Douglas Adams, the sarcasm of Jim Butcher, the droll plotting of Spider Robinson, and the sly twists of Neil Gaiman, just to mention a few. But do
Michael Ryan
This was an incredibly fun romp. A perfect airplane read, the story moves along at a superbrisk but natural pace, glibly covering thousands of years of history in a tightly woven narrative.

Once I got about 20 pages in, I couldn’t put it down. The story is a first-person narrative following the life and times – and a particularly exciting week or so – in the life of Adam, an ordinary man who happens to never age, get sick or, at least so far, die.

Now I’m a sucker for an immortal life story, and f
John Herbert
Not only did the good reviews draw me to this book, the Immortal premise attracted me favourably, with its tentative link to time-travel, which I’m a great fan of.
The only concept that made me pause before buying was the inclusion of Demons, Pixies and Vampires etc, which I tend to avoid on a permanent basis.
I needn’t have worried, as they complement the story rather than detract.

I was a bit peeved to see that the book was only available on Kindle, as I’m a book person, who enjoys the solid feel
Anoop Menon
Witty, captivating and very very interesting story telling, loved this book and will be getting the second book in the series to see how things go with the lead character Adam; very much love to see this series go on and on... it reminded me of the ryira chronicles (mind you only the characters of Hadrian and Royce and their banter) the mood was also similar.. though the story is not.. I wish Gene would have more to tell than just three books for Adam..
Thom Swennes
To Hell with time travel, just go with the flow. Adam has been going and flowing since the beginning of time (or, according to him since the genesis of the written word) and that’s beginning enough for me. Adam’s tale hopscotch’s through time and with a Bill Bryson humor relates his adventures in different places and times. The meandering narrative isn’t chronological but like an interesting conversation jumps from one story (name and time) to another. Adam aka Urrr, Rocky, Apollo, Serge (Lord V ...more
Edmund Wight
Oh my this was such a fun book. Imagine you can live forever - what would you do?
Adam, well at least that's the name he's using this moment has been alive since - well he doesn't even remember when it was but he remembers that language was mostly grunts and the most advanced weapon was a pointy stick. This book is a wonderful mix of a thriller with humor as we learn that our hero is in a precarious situation and trying to figure his way out but he recounts how he got there and has lots of rambli
Aug 29, 2015 Lena rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of irreverent humor.
Still a five star favorite. A completely original, ubiquitously quotable, irreverent romp through history. Adam is that dreamed of dinner guest you ply with wine for stories and secretly hope he never leaves.
Gareth Otton
This was an interesting book.

It is a good job that the premise of this novel peaked my interest from the moment I read the blurb. The idea of a man who is older than written history (50-60,000 years old I believe) is something that fascinates me. That fascination is what carried me through a weak opening half.

That first 40-50% was a real struggle to get through. To start with there are 2 separate timelines running side by side mixed in with a number of flashbacks into other various times. Each
This book has an interesting premise and a cool set of immortality rules. There is enough world-building without making it overbearing and it definitely has its laugh out loud moments too!

The character’s main strength is his life-experience. He is not immortal due to an affliction like vampirism (although they do feature) but rather is a man that simply has not died from natural causes.

“I do date, in case you were wondering. I am also – and this I consider a welcome byproduct of my immortality
Molly Mortensen
Warning: This is an adult book for violence, sex, and adult humor.

I am a sucker for funny books, so I when I read the summary I was sold. I mean, a funny immortal guy? I’m there.

There’s also more to the world than just one immortal guy, there’s vampires, iffrits, demons and all sorts of other things, which was cool.

I’m still not sure if I like the main character or not. He’s definitely an antihero; killing when necessary, and not always saving people, though he does feel bad about it later. He’s
Jonas Drieghe
My relationship with alcohol is complicated. Give or take a few days
here and there, I hadn’t been dry since the speakeasy fire in 1922. By all
normal human standards that would make me a raging alcoholic, except
that by those same human standards I would also be dead by now, if not
from old age then from cirrhosis of the liver. But eighty years for me is like
a glass of wine with dinner for anybody else. - Adam

Adam is a thirty-something-year-old mister average with some extraordinary personalit
Mar 19, 2013 Hallie marked it as life-is-too-short  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, not-my-cuppa
My decision to stop listening (no audiobook in GR atm, and I may or may not have the energy to add it) was a combination of frustration with the audiobook and the things I didn't like about the book overwhelming those I did. First off, the reader was okay except for when he was reading women - especially the medieval French vampire, which was bad enough that I would have returned the audio if I hadn't listened for quite a while already. But pretty darn close in annoyingness was the modern-day Bo ...more
Passion For Pages
Review on

When I first heard of Immortal I admit I wasn’t all that interested. Not because I didn’t think it could be a good story but because I didn’t think it was a story I would like.

I was wrong.

I cannot even begin to explain how much I loved this book. Absolutely loved it. The plot was captivating, the characters were interesting, it was funny and amusing – just one of those books I didn’t want to put down and once I had to I couldn’t stop thinking ab
Susan Bertke
This is a fun read. Urr, aka Adam, has memories back to the days when humans could barely speak. At the moment he is imprisoned in a laboratory, where he's poked and prodded to discover the cause of his immunity to disease. As he plans his escape, he recounts how he got into this specific dilemma, seasoned with scenes from his very l-o-n-g life. It's clear we can't believe anything in the history books. We also can't believe what we've read about dragons, vampires, pixies, etc.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This is a very personal first person POV story about Adam. Adam is a fairly normal guy albeit more self aware and honest about himself. He is a professed alcoholic with serious intimacy issues. He avoids thinking about or confronting everything, preferring to lose himself in a glass of beer. Adam is the type of guy who makes a good acquaintance, but a bad friend.

I found the humour to be dry and subtle. There were quite a few chuckle-worthy moments, and even more smile-worthy ones.

The ending left
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
FUll Review:

Without giving away the plot that develops, I can say that the story gently touches on interesting issues of scientific and business ethics without being heavy-handed or preachy. While there are also some scenes of violence, it is not overly disgusting and the other "non-human" creatures that also exist alongside Adam and play parts in the story are interesting as well. Although there are some sex scenes in the book (Adam is quite appreciative
Very good story about a Immortal man who has lived from before language to modern day. Good mix of action, adventure, and even a dash of magical fantasy. I read it in two days, could not put it down.
Donna Huber
It isn't often I come across a book that feels like a truly original idea. While I can't say that there is nothing out there like it (I believe there are very few original ideas out there any more), it was definitely a unique read for me. Full review:
Wry, cynical and very funny dialogue made this paranormal fantasy about the misadventures of the worlds' oldest man for me. I'll read the next one just to see what else Adam has to say, and finding out what he did to piss off the 'little redhaired girl' all those years ago.
Michael Loring
Immortal is the first in Author Gene Doucette’s Immortal series, following the immortal man Adam (although that is only his current name) who is the oldest man alive.

Adam is a comical character, surviving his six millennia with wit alone. He’s lived through wars, slavery, political rise and fall, and was there for the creation of just about everything from the Internet to the Wheel.

He’s a very practical character, if not a little diluted by his alcoholism. I enjoyed his musings quite a lot, alth
I absolutely *loved* the MC's 'voice' in this book - sarcastic, witty and indolent, he's the perfect anti-hero.
About half-way through, I found myself worrying whether the ending would match up to the story so far - but it did, in spades! :-)
And it was only at about 80% that I realised that the book is written in first-person, normally not my favourite, but this story has made me realise that it's only because other first-person books aren't as written by such good storytellers that I didn't lik
I really liked the premise of this book, the idea of a story about an immortal who is more than a couple of hundred years old (further than a couple of centuries seems to be a hard thing to imagine for a lot of book/television/film writers, most immortals seem to come into creation within relatively recent written history). However, on starting the book I did not like Adam, and very nearly stopped reading when I reached the following thought in chapter one: "Speaking of which, if you want to kno ...more
Jaime Jeffrey
Bought the 2nd book

So I really liked this author's writing style. The story flowed well & was well executed. Our Anti-hero was my type of guy, real gray area like an anti-hero should be. There was just 1 reason this didn't get 5 stars from me. You mean to tell me Adam has survived 10 millennia w/o supernatural healing? There was no need for him to work magic or any other supernatural aspects but he can't heal speedily?! I know, he can't catch a disease or common cold.
Umm, he fought Sabre to
Carrie Slager
[Full disclosure: I requested and received a free ebook through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

What I’ve always wondered at is if there really are immortals, how will they live in today’s society where you need an ID to do almost anything? At what point do mortals discover their existence? Well, Gene Doucette certainly deals with that in Immortal.

Adam is probably one of my favourite characters I’ve read about in a long time. Sure he’s a drunken lecher of the first degree, but after
Jessica (D2LG)
* I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. *
Let's Talk Love S...: Immortal - Gene Doucette 2 26 Jun 15, 2014 04:38AM
  • Old Haunts:  A London City Novel
  • Scary Dead Things (The Tome of Bill, #2)
  • Dante's Journey
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • Tree of Life (Tree of Life, #1)
  • Fallen Stars (Demon Accords, #5)
  • Crimes Against Magic (Hellequin Chronicles, #1)
  • Green Flame Assassin (Demon Lord, #2)
  • Erich's Plea (The Witchcraft Wars, #1)
  • Distant Star (The Reminiscent Exile, #1)
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • Prophecy of the Flame
  • The Awakening (Chrysalis #1)
  • The Book
Gene Doucette is the author of The Immortal Novel Series, Fixer, the new sci-fi novel, The Spaceship Next Door. He's also written a number of novellas for the ongoing Immortal Chronicles series, and the standalone novella, Immortal Stories: Eve.

Gene is also a humorist and an award-winning screenwriter and playwright. He lives in Cambridge MA with his wife and, when the colleges aren't in session,
More about Gene Doucette...

Immortal (3 books)
  • Hellenic Immortal (Immortal, #2)
  • Immortal at the Edge of the World (Immortal, #3)

“I was suicidal for two solid centuries once. That was during the early part of what they now call the Dark Ages, in medieval Europe. Suicidal tendencies were de rigueur at the time, and I’m nothing if not trendy.” 4 likes
“I'm a pretty sad example of what one should do with eternal life. I've never reached any higher level of consciousness, I don't have access to any great truths, and I've never borne witness to the divine or transcendent. Some of this is just bad luck. Like working in the fishing industry in Galilee and never once running into Jesus.” 2 likes