Start by marking “Unexplained: An Encyclopedia of Curious Phenomena, Strange Superstitions, and Ancient Mysteries” as Want to Read:

Even with today's high-tech science, many events and ancient mysteries remain unexplained and surrounded by theories that stir the imagination and challenge scientific fact. This book systematically explores all aspects of the human fascination with the unknowable, from hauntings and the power of the mind, to physical mysteries such as lost civilizations, ancient superstit ...more
Published August 16th 2011 by Kingfisher (first published September 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Unexplained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexplained

Kim
Jan 01, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens
Judy Allen gives readers a thorough overview of the various mysteries and unexplained (no pun intended) phenomena that have continued to have enduring popularity over the decades. It would appeal to any teen researching one of these mysteries, or even to a teen just looking for some spooky stories to read about.

I'd promote this book to teens as part of a mystery-themed display. While many books on that display might be fiction, Judy Allen's encyclopedia would be an intregal part of the display,
Rural Soul
Sep 21, 2016 Rural Soul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had bought it from footpath vendor because of its beautiful pictures. I didn't like to read English books on that time. Just found it from my old stuff some days ago and i started reading it. It is very nice book collecting unexplained mysteries in the world.
It is just collection. It is not anything which will debate on explanations of such mysteries. So readers who didn't read something about this particular subject will definitely enjoy it.
It has some famous mysteries which were also not new
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Ever wondered if there really are castles that are haunted? Or people who have real, honest-to-goodness ESP? How about those strange stories about frogs falling from the sky, or if the city of Atlantis actually existed? If you've ever had questions about seemingly unexplainable events, then you should really pick up this wonderful encyclopedia filled with information on a number of mind-bending (literally!) subjects.

Divided into categories such as Hauntings, T
Truly
Sep 17, 2016 Truly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ukururan buku yang lebih besar (menyerupai ukuran majalah), warna kover dominan hijau serta tentunya judul, jelas membuat mata saya tergoda. Begitu membaca sinopsis yang ada, langsung memutuskan layak masuk keranjang belanjaan. Lumayan untuk jadi referensi jika membuat review.

Di sekitar kita, tentunya banyak hal yang masih merupakan misteri. Beberapa sudah bisa dijelaskan secara ilmiah, namun yang lain masih mengandung misteri yang belum terpecahkan. Buku
Faith
Dec 10, 2008 Faith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a beautifully illustrated and diverse encyclopedia that chronicles myths and unexplained phenomenon around the world. Everything form Stonehenge and the lore surrounding cats and salt are covered. This book would be great for middle school students with an interest in the mysterious. Older students probably wouldn't like it as much, because the explanations are so brief and underdeveloped. A great resource for reluctant readers.
Reagan
Dec 13, 2011 Reagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one wasn't all about otherworldly things, it was a plethora of tons of "unexplained" things. The book didn't go in depth about much of it, but it definitely touched on a lot of neat ideas. There were aliens, hauntings, illnesses/remedies, superstitions, etc. It was pretty great for a small-ish (144 pages) nonfiction book!
Alberto
Oct 16, 2008 Alberto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned things about strange things. I didn't know that if you break a glass while looking at it your soul breaks and takes seven years to heal. I didn't konw that sometimes it rained frogs. Also that ghost are in houses that keep coming. Also that a woman kept building a house and it had elevators. She had to keep building it because if she didn't she would die as she was told by a ghost
Lavinyaa Pash
This is one of the not many books tha freak me out. I read it once and it just made me unable to sleep that night. It was freaky even to think. Have you got any idea how bad is that?

But for an encyclopedia, ist is a good one because it explains detailfully every single thing from the book. It's interesting so I have got nothing to say about it.

Anika
Dec 02, 2010 Anika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of facts and theories about UFOs, foo fighters, full of tales of ghosts, monsters and aliens. I recommend this book to anyone who's into monsters and fantasy. i wonder if all those things do exist? And if they do, what'll happen next?
Arpit Jain
Sep 26, 2012 Arpit Jain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok but scary as well.
Mayra Chavez
It's nothing special.

Most of the stories and facts are old and are in the "already knew that" category.
Indah Threez Lestari
678 - 2013
Ariana
Jan 08, 2017 Ariana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for kids, would have liked a deeper look into some of the stories.
3 Nathanial
it was a good book and very interesting
Rachel
Dec 24, 2007 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
There are so many interesting stories in this book! I could barely put it down! I learned a lot about ghosts and things. Its a great book!
Ashlyn
Dec 07, 2009 Ashlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freaky, but good!
Lance Bonner
Feb 15, 2012 Lance Bonner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, good little window into a lot of weird/ interesting thing.
Ellen C
My husband brought home a pile of library books about the paranormal and monsters and myths and legends. My guilty pleasure. I'm having fun
Nikki
Oct 21, 2007 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These very terse stories of paranormal activity peak interest but are not detailed enough to keep it.
Leonor Costa
Leonor Costa rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Mickie
Mickie rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2009
Božidarka
Božidarka rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2016
Sanni
Sanni rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Moorpark Teen
Moorpark Teen rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2012
James
James rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Ron
Ron rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Ana
Ana rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Aspen
Aspen rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Action Heroine's Handbook
  • Kids of Kabul
  • Warriors in the Crossfire
  • The Action Hero's Handbook: How to Catch a Great White Shark, Perform the Vulcan Nerve Pinch, Track a Fugitive, and Dozens of Other TV and Movie Skills
  • Girls Against Girls: Why We Are Mean to Each Other and How We Can Change
  • The American Journey of Barack Obama
  • The Actor Speaks: Voice and the Performer
  • Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts
  • The Beast of Bray Road: Tailing Wisconsin's Werewolf
  • An Uncommon Soldier: The Civil War Letters of Sarah Rosetta Wakeman, Alias Pvt. Lyons Wakeman, 153rd Regiment, New York State Volunteers, 1
  • Trick or Trap (Goosebumps Most Wanted Special Edition, #3)
  • The History of the Devil and the Idea of Evil
  • Breaker Boys: How a Photograph Helped End Child Labor
  • The Atlas of Mysterious Places: The World's Unexplained Sacred Sites, Symbolic Landscapes, Ancient Cities, and Lost Lands
Judy Allen is an award-winning author whose novel Awaiting Developments was short-listed for the Whitbread Children's Novel Award.

Judy Allen, along with illustrator Tudor Humphries, created Kingfisher's award-winning Backyard Books series and many other successful books, including the Reading Rainbow selections Tiger and Seal.
More about Judy Allen...