Start by marking “Vampire High: Sophomore Year” as Want to Read:
Vampire High: Sophomore Year

Vampire High: Sophomore Year (Vampire High #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In the satiric and funny sequel to the witty Vampire High, Cody's hopes for a great sophomore year at Vlad Dracul are dashed when his train wreck of a cousin, Turk Stone, moves in and messes with his life.

Turk's a brilliant teen artist and goth with a sky-high ego . Her attitude infuriates the vampire (jenti) students, especially the dark, brooding Gregor. But something ch
Published August 9th 2011 by Ember (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire High

P.M.
Cody is looking forward to sophomore year at Vlad Dracul Magnet School. He has a best friend and a best girl. Imagine his chagrin when his artist cousin arrives and takes up residence in his attic. If that isn't bad enough, when she mentions wanting to buy an abandoned textile mill in a part of town known as Crossfield, Cody's friends abandon him. Crossfield is the place where many jenti were buried after they were murdered. When Cody find a diary belonging to Mercy Warrener in which she shares ...more
Amanda
Nov 16, 2010 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire lovers, middle school
Shelves: won
Vampire High was a pretty good book, but not good enough to reallyy stand out from all the other vampire books out there. I received an advance reader's copy from winning a contest and just got around to reading it.
Cody is a great main character; he's funny, sweet, a nice guy, and as is very evident in this book, and I'm guessing in the previous one, he is extremely determined to do what he believes is right, and he never ever gives up, no matter how many obstacles are in the way. I also reall
Fiendishly Bookish
In Vampire High: Sophomore Year, Rees has probed further into the hearts and minds of the jenti and this sequel is definitely richer for it. Rees has stepped up the game and told a compelling story that deepens the plight of the jenti. The backstory of Crossfield, the largely abandoned town near New Sodom and its black history are the focal point of Rees’ sequel. Terrible things have happened in Crossfield’s past…to the jenti. And they will never forget it. Whereas in Rees’ debut, you got more t ...more
Petra Sýkorová
Douglas Rees se narodil roku 1947 v Kalifornii. Jeho otec sloužil při druhé světové válce na Filipínách jako mechanik. Po válce byl na rehabilitace poslán do nemocnice, kde se seznámil s Douglasovou matkou, která tam pracovala jako sestřička.

Do patnácti let se spolu s rodiči stěhoval mezi leteckými základnami po celém světě jak v Americe, tak v Německu. Do šesti let chtěl být hasičem. Mezi šesti a dvanácti paleontologem. Ve dvanácti se rozhodl, že bude spisovatelem a ze svého snu dosud nevyrostl
Brina
Für Cody steht das zweite Jahr an der Vlad Dracul High an. Er hofft auf ein entspanntes Jahr, doch daraus wird nichts, denn ausgerechnet seine verhasste Cousine Turk geht dieses Jahr ebenfalls auf die Schule. Dort macht sie sich direkt am ersten Tag bei den beliebtesten Schülern unbeliebt, was auch auf Cody abfärbt.
Aber es kommt noch viel schlimmer: Cody braucht ein Thema für seine Geschichtsarbeit und die gestaltet sich gar nicht so leicht, wie gedacht. In der Bücherei entdeckt er das Tagebuch
Brina
Robbie
I remember reading Vampire High by Douglas Rees when it was released in 2003 (!). Mind, this was before anyone had ever heard of Twilight. I simply adored Vampire High, as it was funny but also very real, with great characters and a fun story. Now, seven years later, we have a sequel to a book that was obviously not written with sequels in mind.

The story in Vampire High: Sophomore Year takes place, naturally, during Cody's sophomore year at Vlad Dracul, a school for...um...vampires, but don't c
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

It's sophomore year for Cody Elliot at New Sodom's prestigious Vlad Dracul High School, and things seem to be going well. He managed to lead the school's water polo team to victory, acquire a girlfriend in the form of a jenti (vampire) princess, and maintain a C average. Not bad for a lowly gadje!

Unfortunately, Cody's good fortune is short-lived. His crazy cousin, who goes by many names but now refers to herself as Turk, shows up on his family's doorstep.
Zuzana
Codymu Elliotovi je dáno měnit zažité společenské pořádky. V Prváku se postavil proti zavedenému systému na škole Vlada Draculy. Ve Druháku se kvůli jeho rozhodnutí vybudovat v opuštěné továrně kulturní centrum ocitne město New Sodom na pokraji občanské války.

Do už tak rozvířených vod dříve poklidně plynoucího jentiovského, tedy upířího města New Sodom znenadání vpadne Codyho sestřenice Turquoise, které nikdo neřekne jinak než Turk. Při jedné ze svých četných toulek po okolí objeví Turk starou t
Zoe Kennedy
This poor book, I had no idea they published a second one, none, I was fixing the Children’s Face out display where I work and that’s when I saw it. I completely fangirled out and bought it (after my shift of course.) I think I tore through it in two days. While, it didn’t have as much mythology as the first one did I still really liked it. As with the first in the series, it was funny but also serious when issues came up for the characters. I really love that about Douglas Rees, when he’s funny ...more
Claire
Douglas Rees is hilarious. Wonderful wry sentences keep the reader chuckling as Cody Elliot starts what should be a great sophomore year at Vlad Dracul the rigorous jenti (vampire-but Don't call then that!) High school in his town. He had a great freshman year and is looking forward to fitting right in - enter his gothic, prickly, strident artist cousin Turquoise (Turk to you) who get right to work alienating everyone she meets.
As ever, Cody measures his reactions to each problem and opportunit
Claire
Mar 29, 2010 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8th and up, and guys.
Recommended to Claire by: Susan, thanks!
As ever, Cody measures his reactions to each problem and opportunit
Angela
A really good follow up to Vampire High! The presentation of vampires by this author is very original--their social structures and culture (complete with dark secrets, an old language, and historical background) is well thought-out. The first book was about an outsider, a normal guy, healing the rift between vampires (jenti) and humans (gadje) that lived in New Sodom. In this next book the main character discovers old feuds and resentments within the vampire community and has to deal with an abr ...more
Sara
This was a great sequel to the first book. I recommend this book to those who love romance.
Midnight
This was a fun read. It flowed well, read fast, and the characters were likable and fun, even Cody's cousin Tuck who I thought I would dislike turned out to be a fun likable person.

Don't expect anything deep except for the concept of learning about people and accepting them for who they are and not what you think they should be, but then this was a theme that ran through the last book as well.

If you enjoy the vampire books, then this is one to pick up and read for the fun of reading. Be entertai
Storm
Woohoo!!! It's Back to School time at Vlad Academy, We catch up with Cody Elliot, and meet another family member with Big ideas, Turk Stone, his cousin! She's all about Gothic and art and the free spirited rebel, and like Cody, she's here as a last chance. Things heat up though when the Jenti go to war over something Turk and Cody are up to. WHO WILL WIN?! And why was the war sparked? Hehehe! It's a Delicious story. X3
Judy

Turk's a brilliant teen artist and goth with a sky-high ego . Her attitude infuriates the vampire (jenti) students, especially the dark, brooding Gregor. But something FIC Rees 334376
waltzy
Hmm... I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first. I'm a lot older now than when I read the first Vampire High, which has something to do with it, but another part of this is that the major characters from Vampire High took a dramatic backseat to new characters. I did like Turk a lot when she and Cody had their bonding moment, though.
Lori
Every bit as good as the first book, if with more depth and a more mature tone. I love Cody who perseveres in spite of everyone's doubts. With each accomplishment, he gains more and more respect of both the jenti and the gadje communities in these books. I really hope Mr. Rees at least goes through senior year with Mr. Elliott!
Deborah
I have to say I didn't like that he introduced someone new but quickly got attached. I LOVE these two books. What a great tale. So clever. Not dissing the beginning of the book, I just wasn't prepared for a 'new' person. But I love love love both of these books.
Shayna
I it this book was alsome. I loved the fact that the hole shcool was vampires . The only thing that was were was when the main charater said that his girlfriend was feeding on his blood.It was pretty cool that he was part human and still part vampire.
Judy
Different type of style then I usually read but its a pretty good story line.

He is someone who makes a difference when it seems impossible to do so.
Rachel
Not as good as the first, but still enjoyable. The beginning is pretty hard to plod through, but the payoff is pretty decent. I'll probably read the next one.
Courtney Bishop
Love....Love...Love!!!!

Hoping there is a junior and a senior year that comes out!!!! And maybe even the college years ;-)

It grabs you and pulls you in!!!
laurdes
Lepší než jednička, ale pořád hrozná slabota. Je to tak účelně napsané a přesto to nemá žádnou pointu.
Cloud
Eww! I can't believe Turk and Gregor get together! But I am happy about Cody and ileana:)
Reina
I think that this book was okay. I recommand this book to people who like vampire books.
Jdtolbert2003yahoo.com
Not as slow as the first one. Shows the amazing things one can accomplish.
TerushQaH
Dočteno.. bylo to docela supr, asi i o trochu lepší než první díl.. =))
Brenna
Not as cute as the first one but it was still kid-friendly adorable.
Finally!! 1 5 Mar 17, 2010 09:58AM
  • Standard Hero Behavior
  • The Web of Titan (Galahad, #2)
  • Road Rash
  • The Taste of Night (Dangerous Girls, #2)
  • Troll Mill (Troll, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Power of Justice Jack (Sammy Keyes, #15)
  • Dragon and Thief (Dragonback, #1)
  • Shadow Chase (Shadowchasers, #2)
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • Suck It Up (Suck It Up, #1)
  • Revealed (The Amanda Project, #2)
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Paintings from the Cave: Three Novellas
  • High School Bites: The Lucy Chronicles
  • The Lost Kingdom
  • The Invisible Tower (Otherworld Chronicles #1)
  • On the Blue Comet
  • How I, Nicky Flynn, Finally Get a Life (and a Dog)
I was born on October 19th, 1947 in the hospital at March Air Force Base just outside Riverside, California. My father, Norman, was a career sergeant who'd served as an aircraft mechanic and infantryman in the Philippines campaign early in the war and was taken prisoner on Bataan. My mother, Agnes, was a nurse at the hospital where he was sent to recuperate after the war was over.

Until I was fift
More about Douglas Rees...
Vampire High The Juliet Spell Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch Uncle Pirate Jeannette Claus Saves Christmas

“But the only game she wanted to play was Kidnapper, where she tied me up and left me in my own tree house for about twelve hours, until Dad climbed up and got me down. Why hadn’t I at least called for help? I had. But no one had heard me. Probably because of the gag in my mouth.” 3 likes
“What is that?" Dad said, looking at the doll.
"It’s called the Scream," I said.
"I know that, but what us it?” Dad said.
“Maybe she sleeps with it,” I said to Dad as he tucked it under his arm.
“Then no wonder it’s screaming,” he said.”
2 likes