Start by marking “Fishing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Fishing for Dummies

Fishing for Dummies

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Make fishing easier and more rewarding every time you pick up your rod and reelNo one can promise that you will catch fish all the time. For as long as we've been catching fish, fish have been outsmarting us. But there are tips and pointers that even the most seasoned anglers can pick up!

"Fishing For Dummies" helps you prepare for what awaits beyond the shore. From trout t
Published May 10th 2011 by For Dummies (first published April 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fishing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fishing for Dummies

Chris
As a complete novice fisherman with only an hour or so of on-the-lake training from an experienced angler, I was baffled to go into Bass Pro and see just how much STUFF there could be for fishing. A ton of terms that made no sense. Bait out the wazoo.

This book was good for breaking down to me the different types of rods, reels, bait, rigs, etc., and a bit about how fish behave. I definitely feel like I'm not lost when I go in the store or read fishing articles.

Now, will it help me catch fish? I
Laura Gilfillan
I had a good time reading this book. Since I am not an ice fisher, I have to wait for appropriate weather to get out on the pier, or bank, or wherever I manage to get myself near water, with pole in hand. Since that doesn't happen enough, even with nice weather, it was fun to at least be able to read about fishing. Picked up some tidbits I didn't realize too, and it inspired me to give circle hooks a try.
Brian
A very good guide for the beginner angler, but I would have liked to have seen more information on techniques with specific types of lures and rigs. Also some tactics for common species rather than what amounts to mostly a detailed identification guide in the chapters covering the fish themselves. There is almost no information on habits of specific species.
ASV Birkenau
A reasonable introduction to the basics of fishing which helps the novice understand some of the jargon which experienced anglers tend to use and which is a barrier for the newcomer trying to work out whjat is going on. Recommended for beginners.
Mark Yoshida
Good introduction to fishing as a hobby, diversion, and sport. Covers pretty much everything one would need to know. Conveys some of the excitement and appeal of actually fishing.
Spencer
Jul 30, 2007 Spencer rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who havent attended school
this book treats you like you dont know what a stupid pole looks like.
we are not as dumb as this book makes out
0/10000. absolute bull shit
Craig
Great book for beginners or those who want to try a different species/environment than what they are used to.
Megan
focussed too much on casting etc. -- I'm into trolling on a lake. Oh well, everything else was awesome.
Jill
Too basic so it beomes hard to decipher between useful information and just basic material.
Jesse
Jul 18, 2007 Jesse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fish; dummies
I read this book and caught seven dummies! Three were too small; threw 'em back.
PWRL
Jun 30, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Tash
Tash added it
Mar 27, 2015
Jason Broander
Jason Broander marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Sergovich Johnson
Sergovich Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Akassab
Akassab marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Mitchell Harrison
Mitchell Harrison marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Mike P
Mike P marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well) The Chew: Food. Life. Fun. Pig Perfect: Encounters with Remarkable Swine and Some Great Ways to Cook Them Bacon Nation: 125 Irresistible Recipes Fly Fishing for Dummies.