Start by marking “Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)” as Want to Read:
Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)

Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga #11)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  516 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
There was only one thing which Robert Dudley could not do, and that was to make any woman cease to love him. Now that Elizabeth was Queen of England, the romance which began with their shared captivity in the grim Tower of London blossomed into a mutual longing.. With the crown so nearly in his grasp, how could Robert let Amy Robsart, his sweet young wife, stand between hi ...more
Published July 28th 1971 by Putnam Pub Group (T) (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Gay Lord Robert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gay Lord Robert

Dar B
Oct 03, 2011 Dar B rated it really liked it
This enjoyable work is about Robert Dudley and the love shared between him and Queen Elizabeth I. Dudley descended from a family of ambitious men, and their ambition had been their undoing. However, Robert found himself attracted to the Queen of England, for ambition's sake but also for the passion she felt towards him.

This story is Jean Plaidy's look at the life of Dudley, through the scandal of the death of his wife Amy Robsart, which has left historians puzzling over the cause. Her detailed
Maggie
Mar 10, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Sort of along the lines of Alison Weir's Marriage Game, (which I really didn't enjoy) but from the Dudley point.

This was way way better, none of the wishy washy nonsense about them not doing the deed, but
nothing about them doing it either. This account is the one i would like to believe, Robert Dudley
fell in love with Elizabeth during their time in the Tower, the fact that he (and she) believed that
one day she would be Queen added to the attraction, their love for each other endured her many sui
Anne Harvey
Another telling of the love story between Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley, this one by mistress of historical romance, Jean Plaidy. Originally written in 1964, the version I read was reissued in 2006. I think the original book must have been scanned using OCR (Optical character recognition)as I noticed several glaring errors (Casde for castle, and test for rest being two examples.) Because it was originally written in 1964 in a more elaborate style than used by today's writers of historical ...more
Stephanie Tracy
This was an excellent story of Queen Elizabeth's friendship (and possibly more) with Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester. The book spans from the time that Robert is born, all the way to his death upon the English defeat of the Spanish Armada. It is a touching story of the Queen's love, and the difficult decisions she had to make regarding marriage versus ruling her country as a single monarch. Jean Plaidy gives us a glimpse into her innermost thoughts and pains, and it's a very clear-cut versi ...more
mary Challis
While starting off a bit better than it finished, this book was rather dry and boring throughout. Good read but not as intense as Phillapa Gregory's similar book which was a real page turner. The book does provide better context for the evolution of the Dudley family and their power than does Gregory. You will enjoy this book if you are interested in the Tudors and the rise of Elizabeth I, and if you are interested in good historical fiction.
Elizabeth Scheller Williams
Another that I read forever ago and is next to impossible to find now.
Amanda
Apr 09, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Dudley came from a family of ambitious men, and their ambition had been their undoing. This Dudley however found himself attracted to the Queen of England, both by his ambition and personally.[return]This is a comprehensive look at the life of Dudley, through the scandal of the death of his wife Amy Robsart, his daliance with Douglass Sheffield, and his secret marriage to Lettice Knolleys. All the while trying to maintain his position at Court, and his place in the heart of the Queen.
Jane
A little clunky here and there, it kind of lacked the ability to attract the reader and I got a little bored of it after a while. Wouldn't call this an outstanding book, but it was alright.
Geeta
Jul 16, 2012 Geeta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, along with the other Jean Plaidy's were read during my teenage years, and I loved them. Mama had read them too, so some were written in the 50s. Historical fiction, romance, very fun at that age. Haven't read once since.
Brooke
Jan 29, 2011 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While starting off a bit better than it finished, this book was rather dry and boring throughout. Focusing more on the history than actual life, it read more like a nonfiction text than a historically-based story.
Patricia Diaz Gascogne Michaelsen
Like all the books from Jean Plaidy. This author have more than five pseudonyms; Victoria Holt ,Philippa Carr, etc. . History books,history -fiction books, with good argument and well narrated.
Heather Mims
Oct 25, 2014 Heather Mims rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
As always, I love that Jean Plaidy remains faithful to established historical fact, while making well-known figures human and relatable. Another brilliant interpretation!
Redfox5
Jul 14, 2010 Redfox5 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudors, fiction
This was a great book, one of the best books I've read so far about the relationship between Robin and the Queen. I wonder how history would have altered had they ever married?
Elzakun
Jan 10, 2012 Elzakun rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to get through this book but its language is rather weak and characters are rather annoying.
Karen Galber
Jan 17, 2015 Karen Galber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illustrates the relationship between Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth I warts and all.
Anna
Such a charismatic man. So why was this book so damn dull?
Linda
Aug 31, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 for this story of Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth I.
Jan 07, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent book. Not the best, but ok.
Sara W
pretty good
Alison
Last in series
Michael Sinclair
Michael Sinclair rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Ashley Brickner
Ashley Brickner marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Fiona
Fiona is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
Louise Fry
Louise Fry marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Regina Jalaly-Porter
Regina Jalaly-Porter marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 10:16AM
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Here Was a Man
  • The Wild Irish
  • Plain Jane
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
  • By Royal Decree (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #3)
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • Secrets of the Tudor Court
  • The Queen's Mistake (In the Court of Henry VIII, #2)
  • Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Rival to the Queen
  • Elizabeth and Essex
  • I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)
  • Legacy
  • Anne Boleyn: In Her Own Words & the Words of Those Who Knew Her
  • The Uncrowned Kings of England: The Black History of the Dudleys and the Tudor Throne
  • The Fifth Queen
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Tudor Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • To Hold the Crown (Tudor Saga #1)
  • Katharine, the Virgin Widow (Tudor Saga, #2)
  • The Shadow of the Pomegranate (Tudor Saga, #3)
  • The King's Secret Matter (Tudor Saga, #4)
  • Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5)
  • The King's Confidante (Tudor Saga, #6)
  • The Sixth Wife (Tudor Saga, #7)
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • Mary, Queen of France (Tudor Saga, #9)
  • The Spanish Bridegroom (Tudor Saga, #10)