Start by marking “Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)” as Want to Read:
Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)

Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga #11)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  20 reviews
There was only one thing which Robert Dudley could not do, and that was to make any woman cease to love him. Now that Elizabeth was Queen of England, the romance which began with their shared captivity in the grim Tower of London blossomed into a mutual longing.. With the crown so nearly in his grasp, how could Robert let Amy Robsart, his sweet young wife, stand between hi ...more
Published July 28th 1971 by Putnam Pub Group (T) (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Gay Lord Robert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gay Lord Robert

Darla
This enjoyable work is about Robert Dudley and the love shared between him and Queen Elizabeth I. Dudley descended from a family of ambitious men, and their ambition had been their undoing. However, Robert found himself attracted to the Queen of England, for ambition's sake but also for the passion she felt towards him.

This story is Jean Plaidy's look at the life of Dudley, through the scandal of the death of his wife Amy Robsart, which has left historians puzzling over the cause. Her detailed
Maggie
Sort of along the lines of Alison Weir's Marriage Game, (which I really didn't enjoy) but from the Dudley point.

This was way way better, none of the wishy washy nonsense about them not doing the deed, but
nothing about them doing it either. This account is the one i would like to believe, Robert Dudley
fell in love with Elizabeth during their time in the Tower, the fact that he (and she) believed that
one day she would be Queen added to the attraction, their love for each other endured her many sui
Anne Harvey
Another telling of the love story between Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley, this one by mistress of historical romance, Jean Plaidy. Originally written in 1964, the version I read was reissued in 2006. I think the original book must have been scanned using OCR (Optical character recognition)as I noticed several glaring errors (Casde for castle, and test for rest being two examples.) Because it was originally written in 1964 in a more elaborate style than used by today's writers of historical ...more
Stephanie Tracy
This was an excellent story of Queen Elizabeth's friendship (and possibly more) with Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester. The book spans from the time that Robert is born, all the way to his death upon the English defeat of the Spanish Armada. It is a touching story of the Queen's love, and the difficult decisions she had to make regarding marriage versus ruling her country as a single monarch. Jean Plaidy gives us a glimpse into her innermost thoughts and pains, and it's a very clear-cut versi ...more
Elizabeth Scheller williams
Another that I read forever ago and is next to impossible to find now.
Amanda
Robert Dudley came from a family of ambitious men, and their ambition had been their undoing. This Dudley however found himself attracted to the Queen of England, both by his ambition and personally.[return]This is a comprehensive look at the life of Dudley, through the scandal of the death of his wife Amy Robsart, his daliance with Douglass Sheffield, and his secret marriage to Lettice Knolleys. All the while trying to maintain his position at Court, and his place in the heart of the Queen.
Jane
A little clunky here and there, it kind of lacked the ability to attract the reader and I got a little bored of it after a while. Wouldn't call this an outstanding book, but it was alright.
Geeta
This, along with the other Jean Plaidy's were read during my teenage years, and I loved them. Mama had read them too, so some were written in the 50s. Historical fiction, romance, very fun at that age. Haven't read once since.
Brooke
While starting off a bit better than it finished, this book was rather dry and boring throughout. Focusing more on the history than actual life, it read more like a nonfiction text than a historically-based story.
Patricia Diaz Gascogne Michaelsen
Like all the books from Jean Plaidy. This author have more than five pseudonyms; Victoria Holt ,Philippa Carr, etc. . History books,history -fiction books, with good argument and well narrated.
H. A. Mims
As always, I love that Jean Plaidy remains faithful to established historical fact, while making well-known figures human and relatable. Another brilliant interpretation!
Redfox5
This was a great book, one of the best books I've read so far about the relationship between Robin and the Queen. I wonder how history would have altered had they ever married?
Elzakun
I tried to get through this book but its language is rather weak and characters are rather annoying.
Karen
Illustrates the relationship between Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth I warts and all.
Anna
Such a charismatic man. So why was this book so damn dull?
Linda
3.5 for this story of Robert Dudley and Queen Elizabeth I.
This was a decent book. Not the best, but ok.
Sara W
Robert Dudley, long love of Elizabeth I
Alison
Last in series
Mihai
Mihai marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Ian Sanderson
Ian Sanderson marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Norma
Norma marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Maycon
Maycon marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Thay
Thay marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 10:16AM
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • The King's Pleasure
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)
  • The Wild Irish
  • The Queen's Mistake (In the Court of Henry VIII, #2)
  • Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • Secrets of the Tudor Court
  • Legacy
  • Elizabeth and Essex
  • The Queen's Sorrow
  • Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
  • By Royal Decree (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #3)
  • Virgin and the Crab - Sketches, Fables and Mysteries from the Early Life of John Dee and Elizabeth Tudor
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
  • I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)
  • The House of Tudor
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Tudor Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • To Hold the Crown (Tudor Saga #1)
  • Katharine, the Virgin Widow (Tudor Saga, #2)
  • The Shadow of the Pomegranate (Tudor Saga, #3)
  • The King's Secret Matter (Tudor Saga, #4)
  • Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5)
  • The King's Confidante (Tudor Saga, #6)
  • The Sixth Wife (Tudor Saga, #7)
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • Mary, Queen of France (Tudor Saga, #9)
  • The Spanish Bridegroom (Tudor Saga, #10)
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown (Tudor Saga #1)