Start by marking “Avalon High” as Want to Read:
Avalon High

Avalon High

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  38,924 Ratings  ·  2,028 Reviews
'I thought you were dead,' I whispered. And then he was kissing me.

Avalon High, Ellie's new school, is pretty much what she'd expected. There's Lance, the hunky footballer. Jennifer, the cute cheerleader. But the big surprise is Will- the most gorgeous guy Ellie's ever met.

When Will says he thinks he's known Ellie before, things start getting weird. A feeling that grows as
Published 2005 by Macmillan Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Avalon High, please sign up.

Lucy March The movie is based on this book but they are a bit different.

The movie is based on this book but they are a bit different.

While the film handles the updated character of Merlin better (in the movie he's young, fun and snarky, whereas the book just has him as a fusty old professor who's trying to push Lance and Ellie -- that's Allie, in the film -- together for a stupid reason despite the fact that they have zero interest in each other), and has a fun twist as to who the villain really was, I think the storyline of the book otherwise makes a lot more sense, not to mention ALREADY had a fun twist of its own regarding who was who (even if it wasn't the same one in the film). (less)
Emily Anne Depends on what you're looking for. If you enjoy a forced romance, a semi-predictable twist or two (one of which almost made me throw the book at the…moreDepends on what you're looking for. If you enjoy a forced romance, a semi-predictable twist or two (one of which almost made me throw the book at the wall), summer fun, and characters that have been written half a million times before, this is your book. If not, I'd suggest walking on by. (less)

Namratha
Jun 18, 2007 Namratha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rachel
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ya-lit
New girl in town, Elaine ‘Ellie’ Harrison can’t believe her astounding luck! Senior class president cum star-QB cum all-around-nice-guy, A.Will Wagner shows more than just a passing interest in her. A bit surprising, considering the fact that he’s hotter than hell and is dating the stunningly pretty cheer-leader, Jennifer Gold. Little does Ellie know that when Will says, “I feel we have met before in a different lifetime”, it’s more than just a cheesy line!!!

Unlikely as it seems, the “Legend o
Erica
Aug 13, 2007 Erica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
I wasn't that impressed. I get frustrated with books that try extremely hard to prove they are hip and modern. While dealing with subject matter from Arthurian legend, I had hoped this would be an interesting retelling while holding the charm of the original stories. Not so much. That's pretty much all I can say about it.
Muse-ic
Oct 25, 2015 Muse-ic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Oh, that was so much fun! I loved the parallels in the story to King Arthur's tale!
This is definitely one of my favorite Meg Cabot books.

Elaine's character is similar to Meg's other female characters, but significantly more intelligent and extremely less annoying. I cannot tell you what a relief that was.

She wasn't like hanging around waiting for the answers to present themselves to her and/or being so blind to the obvious truth.
No. Elaine figured it out almost immediate once presented with the
Tatiana
Feb 04, 2016 Tatiana marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2016, book-club
I might have liked it 5 years ago, but at this point of my YA journey, I've completely outgrown Meg Cabot's books.
Hajy
Jan 28, 2017 Hajy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

well of course I really liked this 'cause I'm King Arthur Trash™ ;)
mayyybbeee a little anticlimactic in the end, tho.
Flannery
Jan 02, 2011 Flannery rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard Meg Cabot fans; people who love Arthurian legend
Recommended to Flannery by: SCB TBR 2011 - Pick One; Albie
Thanks to Albie for picking this for me to read! Now I know it was just okay and I can get it out of my house! Alas, I think my enjoyment of this book was severely hampered by my recent viewing of the Disney made-for-TV movie based on the book. There were lots of changes in the movie (including the name of the MAIN CHARACTER) that were frustrating and a lot of the plot was different as well. After Insatiable and this, I'm kind of disheartened about Meg Cabot's books--I always enjoyed her adult b ...more
Esther
Feb 15, 2009 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! It was awesome:D
Lisa Schensted
in a sentence: ellie (new girl at new school, thanks to her professor parents on sabbatical) meets will, the potential reincarnation of king arthur (and serious hottie). let the fun begin!

this was seriously one of the most fun, enjoyable, and sweet stories i have ever heard. i listened to it in the car, and i found myself laughing out loud, smiling, and sometimes even gasping while listening! ellie, the main character and narrator, was very relatable, and you felt as if you were her best friend
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

You don't have to know and enjoy the legend of King Arthur to fully appreciate AVALON HIGH, but it probably helps. Meg Cabot has taken the legend of Arthur and the main people in his lives--Merlin, the magician and guardian of young Arthur; the Lady of the Lake, who gave Arthur his magical sword, Excalibur; Guinevere, Arthur's wife and Queen; his most esteemed knight, Sir Lancelot; Mordred, Arthur's half-brother; and the elusive Elaine of Astolat, the Lady of S
Liz
Sep 12, 2009 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2009
Wow, so many people think that this book was terrible. Come on, what did you think it was going to be, total in-depth dissection? I personally enjoyed it. It was laid-back whilst still being exciting.

The only two things I dislike about that novel are that, one, for a supposedly practical person, etc, Ellie thinks too much about seeing Will when she's only just met him. Then again, it's part of the plot, so I don't know what I'm going on about that for. I don't know. I guess Cabot should have dra
Jul 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes spunky heroines and Arthurian echoes
Recommended to Jennifer by: Heather
Shelves: read-young-adult
Okay. I admit it. I'm a sucker for any variation of the Arthurian legend and this was a fun, modern spin on the story you think you know. Ellie Harrison has just moved from St. Paul, Minnesota to Annapolis, Maryland and is going to spend her junior year attending Avalon High, while her parents do a year of sabbatical research in the area. (They are, of course, both medievalists.)

A few days before school starts, Ellie catches the eye of a handsome senior while running in a nearby park. It isn't
charlotte
ok this one convinced me to continue with the meg cabot reread
Ryne Steinacker
Apr 06, 2012 Ryne Steinacker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engl-420
[NOTE: Spoilers ahead]

When Elaine and her family move to a new town, her parents, who are both medieval researchers, are on their sabbaticals and are looking forward to researching the legend of King Arthur. Elaine is looking forward to meeting new people and perhaps even reinventing herself. But neither of Elaine's goals turn out exactly right. When Elaine meets handsome and popular Will, they both feel like they already know each other. People she hardly knows, such as Will's half-brother Marc
Trin
Feb 03, 2008 Trin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, american-lit
King Arthur as high school DRAMA OMG. Quite a bit better than the adult Cabot I’ve read, actually, and there was at least one nice twist. Still the mental equivalent of candy floss, though. And not even, like, awesome maple candy floss from the Addison County Fair, to pick a very specific and increasingly ridiculous analogy. I think there need to be superheroes or buddy-cops to reach that level. At least for me.

I think maybe 1 1/2 sentences of this review were actually on-topic. I win!
Telissa
Apr 17, 2016 Telissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sick book
I loved the book soooo much and loved how it related to something else
Magdalena
Dec 17, 2008 Magdalena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read. It is a book that

I can relate to.
Ren
Karena kemaren dapet pinjaman Meg Cabot banyak, dan ni termasuk teenlit, jadi termasuk bacaan ringan untuk weekend, jadi baca yang ini dulu :)..

Elaine Harrison atau Ellie, orangtuanya dua2nya professor, seorang medievalist (ahli2 yang mempelajari sejarah jaman pertengahan), harus sering berpindah2 sekolah, karena orang tuanya sering mendapat sabatikal (atau liburan) untuk membuat buku2. Ellie masuk ke SMA Avalon, dan bertemu dengan A.William Wagner, kapten tim footbal di Avalon, sekaligus presid
Morgan F
Okay, I will start off by saying this isn't my first Meg Cabot book. I knew what I was getting into. I knew I wasn't about to engage in literary gold when I opened this book. Anybody who would expect that needs a reality check because....well, look at the cover. It's pink and purple for crying out loud.

This book was very quick and entertaining. It's fluffy, girly brain candy. I always have trouble rating books like these because my wanna-be intelligent self is like "you're too good for these bo
Jenn
Meg is back! I have been a fan of Meg Cabot since first reading The Princess Diaries, I also loved the entire Mediator series and the first All-American Girl book. However, I have been increasingly unimpressed with the later Princess Diaries books and hated the second All-American Girl. I realize that teenagers are thinking about and talking about sex, but I don't like YA novels that just start taking for granted that young adults are all - and should all be - having sex. I teach young adults. I ...more
Jane
Shxrxn
Jul 20, 2010 Shxrxn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eminem is ideal to listen to while running, because he’s so mad at everyone. Except his daughter
- Ellie
It was weird. It was like he smiled at me, and my lips automatically smiled back—my brain had nothing to do with it. There was no conscious decision on my part to smile back.
- Ellie
Probably I should have just left him there without disturbing him. Probably I should have turn
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Jenna
Oct 04, 2012 Jenna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this when I read it years ago, before I really got into YA. I was excited to reread it after downloading the audiobook, but I'm sorry to say I did not enjoy it much this time around.
Janette
Nov 07, 2009 Janette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another light, fun read by Meg Cabot. I liked the whole King Arthur twist to the high school romance. I only wish the characters said, "OMG!" a lot less.
Louise
Oct 15, 2010 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
<3 meg cabot books
Carol Andrade
Feb 09, 2014 Carol Andrade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite Meg Cabot stand alone, ladys and gents! <3333
Such a fun, quick read. I loved everything about it!

Project Meg Cabot 2015: 1 down. 12 to go.
My Sister's Bookshelf
May 23, 2012 My Sister's Bookshelf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I am pretty sure I was first introduced to Meg Cabot via The Princess Diaries, which was pulled, appropriately enough for this website, directly from My Sister’s Bookshelf. Being younger and more secure in her awesomeness than I am, Elizabeth has always been a little more willing to buy books that are pink with shiny tiaras on the cover. Thank goodness, for my sake! Years later, I bless my kindle for letting me read said tiara-clad book clandestinely. I would definitely still read it, but either ...more
Jill
Dec 20, 2009 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Meg Cabot, I guess.
Recommended to Jill by: Abraham Lincoln 2010 book list
The only thing that saved this book from a one-star rating was its writing. It was not terrible, so it deserves one extra star.

I originally was drawn to this book because of its shiny gold cover. Do not fall into the same trap that I did! This book was about some yahoos in high school who are reincarnations of King Arthur and his peeps. If you are not saying, "Wtf?" right now, then I'm wondering if you are sane.

As I said in one of my status updates, I dislike romantic plotlines. I don't mind the
Deyse
In a way this one was fun, because I got to know more about the Arthurian legend and it was nice putting everything together along the story, but I never really cared about any of the characters and their relationships, so it never surpassed meh for me.
Irene
Feb 13, 2016 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
As a fan of the Princess Diaries series when I was a teenager I picked up this book for the first time when I was about 16 years old, now I am 20 years old, have read it 3 times and I still love it.

It isn't a very heavy book about a really serious subject, but to me it's incredibly entertaining. I love the mix between the modern world and the King Arthur legend (mind me I am a history geek) and felt I even learned some things about the legend itself.

The book is mostly aimed at teenagers and does
Avalon High 3 13 Jun 05, 2015 05:34PM
Anyone else dying of how cute the couple is????? 3 29 Aug 31, 2014 09:12AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Avalon High by Meg Cabot --> starting 24th July 2014 14 10 Jul 25, 2014 11:57PM
Was anyone else surprised by how they did the movie?!?! 27 204 Jun 07, 2014 02:12PM
what did you think about the movie? 20 106 Dec 28, 2013 06:42PM
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Avalon High--Meg Cabot 1 6 May 17, 2013 06:13PM
Čeští a slovenští...: Avalon High od Meg Cabot (květen 2013) 2 40 May 02, 2013 01:47AM
  • Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • The Juliet Club
  • Oh. My. Gods. (Oh. My. Gods., #1)
  • Enthusiasm
  • Saving Juliet
  • Amazing Grace
  • Song of the Sparrow
  • The Sphere of Secrets (The Oracle Prophecies, #2)
  • Prom Dates from Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #1)
  • The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, #2)
  • Royally Jacked (Royally Jacked, #1)
  • Sweet 16
  • Cindy Ella
  • Moby Clique (Bard Academy, #3)
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
  • Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty (Once Upon A Time, #2)

More about Meg Cabot...

10 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Someone Hot is sometimes can't be the person they appear to be- except for their hotness... that cannot be denied. ” 183 likes
“Why had I taken all those useless classes like bio and German when I should have been taking lipreading?” 57 likes