Start by marking “The Losers, Vol. 1: Ante Up” as Want to Read:
The Losers, Vol. 1: Ante Up

The Losers, Vol. 1: Ante Up (The Losers #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,175 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The Company thought that it had taken care of the Losers. After they saw a little too much at the wrong place and time, their chopper went down in flames with no survivors and plenty of deniability—and the Losers went down in the records as just another team of black ops foot soldiers tragically lost to one of the C.I.A.'s shadow wars.

But the Losers were just playing dead—
Published March 1st 2004 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Losers, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Losers, Vol. 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
292nd out of 2,366 books — 5,314 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreSin City, Vol. 1 by Frank MillerKick-Ass by Mark Millar300 by Frank Miller
Best Graphic Novels Made Into Movies
15th out of 35 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 17, 2014 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
I'm in love. I admit, I read this in preparation for the movie, but even if the film gets the characters absolutely perfect, there's no way it can compete with the visuals in this GN. The story is simple enough so I didn't lose the thread in all the action, but Aisha's storyline brings enough mystery so that I'm not bored. (And by the way, best entrance by a female lead EVER.) The sarcastic humor is just right for a bunch of fatalistic guys who've gotten over the whole fearing death thing and ar ...more
Aug 04, 2015 Tays rated it really liked it
Well to be honest, I've never heard of this title before the movie adaptation. I just got around to reading it though, even if I saw the movie a bunch of times already. The movie was good, but well - as much as I'd hate to put it in clichès, this is better. Atleast so far to where of the series I'm in.

The situation and the back story to it were't really touched yet in this volume. Somehow, I think keeping those details on the later volumes is the route Diggle is taking. Which is actually more f
Apr 29, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adults
The very best kind of conspiracy-theory-fueled action/adventure. This is the first volume of Diggle & Jock's The Losers comic book, collected in graphic novel format. Strong language & graphic violence, so not for kids, but the writing and art are top notch and I'm eager to read Vol 2 and find out what happens next.
Aug 30, 2009 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Now this I like. CIA vs CIA, sharp dialogue, clever plans that are actually clever, and lots of exploding things.
Apr 06, 2012 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The Losers GN came into my reading orbit after I saw previews from the movie. (I know, for shame!) But I'm glad it did. Although I did enjoy the movie, I couldn't help feeling like a lot was left out.

Sure enough, thanks to a recent LA Times article, writer Andy Diggle said the movie version of The Losers was "a lot lighter, less grim and a lot less political". Naturally, I had to check out the original source material.

Ante Up begins right in the middle of the action after the black Ops team call
Jan 03, 2011 Malia rated it liked it
I preferred volume 1 to volume 2. Aisha is a great killer character and I really like Cougar but my interest in the two of them, and her storyline in particular, may not be enough to hold my interest very long. I'm gonna try to read till the end of the series, the art is awesome and some of the dialogue is killer, but its dragging near the end of the book.
Feb 04, 2015 Lauri rated it liked it
Agendisaaga algusosa. Iseenesest kasutati "omade poolt reedetud ja surnuks arvatud endiste eriüksuslaste tiimi seiklused" - skeemi juba A-Rühmas ja Losersites pole midagi põhimõtteliselt erinevat, kui välja arvata ajakohastamine - tegevus toimub juba 21. sajandil - ja järjest suuremaid numbreid tiksuv body count. Mulle käis veidi pinda selliste tabavate, täpsete, sarkastiliste ja olukorda justament sobivate onelinerite ohtrus, ei usu et karmid eriüksuslased-killerid on ka sõnaosavad ja naljakad ...more
A few months ago, I wrote a review of The Losers, Vol. 4 having never read any of the previous volumes. In the review I stated that I had trouble understanding the plot and that I couldn't tell some of the characters apart. Since then I have found and read Volume 1 and now have a much more favorable view of the series.

It really does pay off to start at the beginning here, even though writer Andy Diggle's approach is to dump us right in the middle of a plot and then fill in the details later. Th
Jul 07, 2011 Gef rated it really liked it
Even before The Losers movie came out, even before I got back into reading comics, I had heard about this series and thought it sounded promising. It took nearly seven years to get around to reading it, but I finally did. After seeing the movie first though, which left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth as evidenced in my Rabid Rewind review, I wondered if the graphic novel would hold up as well as I first thought.

In a word: yes.

It's pretty simple for an action story, I suppose, though it gets a
Nov 04, 2007 Joseph rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: A-Team fans and anyone who enjoys a good heist
It's hard to know what to say about The Losers. First of all, I enjoyed it. I love heist stories, or really, any kind of story that sets a complicated plan in motion, only to have everything go horribly wrong.

But, as a consequence of the type of story this is, I have to confess that it's a little formulaic and lazy in terms of characterization. It doesn't help that the story pretty much starts in medias res. In short order, we meet the squad (the wacky computer guy, the silent-but-deadly sniper,
Vikas Khair
Feb 10, 2014 Vikas Khair rated it it was amazing
I came to know about the series after I heard about the movie .. Haven't seen the movie yet because I will finish the series first before watching it now. Awesome start to the series .. The Losers is a team of Black-ops Commandos who are trying to clear their names after someone tries to get them killed. Awesome action and story .. Now I am kicking myself to miss this series till now.
Apr 02, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-and-read
I am enjoying the *shit* out of re-reading this stuff. I read these books years ago and loved it, then reluctantly saw the movie (and loved how fun it was).

Now I'm coming back to the source material and I gotta tell ya - Diggle and Jock, with these incredibly intense, fast-moving storylines that assume you have a brain and a sense of adventure - wow, what a ride.

As good as the movie was, Jock has a dynamic sense of movement and perspective that can't be matched (even by the most hyper-real art t
Dec 15, 2014 E rated it liked it
I'm not entirely sure I liked it. I don't know why. The story line is good, the messy art did put me off for a while but it fits the story very well. But the whole thing just misses something I can't put a finger one. We'll see if I figure it out with another volume...
Dec 06, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Read this due to the artist Jock & writer, Diggle - great combo - and it was recommended to me. Thanks y'all! Great story line, Black-Ops troops who've been done wrong by Uncle Sam, fab characters.
Good stuff.
Mark Desrosiers
Jan 19, 2009 Mark Desrosiers rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
In which a rebel team of former military misfits (nerd, ethnic chick, mystery psychopath, black badass, DeNiro-type leader, double-crosser) sabotage some sinister CIA-sponsored drug-running operations. Action-packed, suspenseful, even lefty-subversive. A vast improvement on its obvious inspiration, the A-Team (not to mention the Able Team).

Great quote (original bolding included): "Hold it right there. I'd lay down my life to defend America, to free it from the parasites that are eating away its
David Dean
Aug 06, 2011 David Dean rated it it was amazing
Looks awesome! Andy Diggle did (is doing) an amazing job with Hellblazer. That is saying a lot because he was standing in the shadow of such great minds as Warren Ellis, Alan Moore and Garth Ennis. This is why I wanted to check out his Magnum Opus listed here.

But do you know what is bugging me? I find a good graphic novel I want to read. Then I go to the wiki page to get a quick synopsis of it. When I get to the bottom of the page, I see this message (always): "In 200?, it was announced that a
Feb 03, 2013 Anthony rated it it was amazing
cmon, vertigo stories r always great! never watched the movie but the book was good enuff; every panel was tilted & interesting; whole book read like an action movie; love the heists in the beginning & tricking the ppl into thinking the tractor trailer/ helicopter, etc. ploys..were great! love how the guy double crosses them & it plays on that "sometimes a soldier has to say no, think for oneself theme". love the scene where the main leader visits the general & u have the mix of ...more
Jan 03, 2011 SA rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, graphic-novels
I really enjoyed this--it was exceedingly well paced, great action, compelling characters. Could have used more women, just in general, but I'm so used to it at this point it's pre-built into my thought pattern.

I saw the movie before I read the books, not really on purpose but that's just how things got ordered; I think the film was fairly faithful to the tone, if not the direct sequence of events. This was an action movie of a graphic novel, and I think the book was better than the film in tha
Dec 16, 2008 DB rated it really liked it
If I called it a mindless thrill ride, I'd be doing it an injustice. The Losers is one of those rare long-run titles that has an actual beginning, middle and end that seems to have been plotted fully from the start. So many series run in arcs that try to imitate a single story, but The Losers comes off as a single story with heart as well as grit. It may be too shallow or popcorn for some, but it's a fun, tight read. The art is superb and the dialog spot on. Really enjoyed it, start to finish.
Feb 27, 2009 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A good start to the series, though not perfect. It took me a little bit of time to get all of the main characters straight. The story is pretty straight-forward; a special forces team betrayed by the US trying to clear their names. It's pretty standard stuff, but well done.

The art is not bad, though there are sometimes where it becomes a bit too stylized, which doesn't fit the overall style of the book. Plus, how can you take an artist who calls themselves Jock seriously?
Apr 21, 2010 Mac rated it liked it
Yes, I've been reading comic books, so sue me. This collects the first handful of issues of Andy Diggle's "The Losers," which are definitely more entertaining than the later issues. The art by Jock is fairly impressive, but a number of guest artists come in to draw some of the stories, with varying success. I enjoy a conspiracy-filled shoot-em-up as much as the next guy, and if your expectations aren't too high, you won't be disappointed.
Apr 11, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
With the movie opening in 2 weeks i decided to burn thru the five TPBs that had been loaned to me. While we don't get a lot of background as to why The Losers need the CIA to believe that they are still dead we get a well executed tale of betrayal, double-crosses, and well plotted out action scenes that involve an oil refinery and an oil tanker.
Nov 29, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I thought some of the paneling made some of the action a little incomprehensible at first, but once I caught the rhythm I love it. It's a light, hip, violent and fast action, caper, conspiracy thriller. It was wholly enjoyable, the writing is solid, and the art work is terrific. I look forward to the rest of the series.
Nov 07, 2010 Don rated it really liked it
Ben Brackett
May 09, 2011 Ben Brackett rated it it was amazing
Hands-down my favorite non-super hero action series ever. Clever writing, brilliant twists and great characters. Combined with the standout and visually iconic art by Jock, this is a must own. Have already had to replace a couple of the trades from re-reading.
Mar 02, 2008 Jared rated it really liked it
If it were possible, I might give this 3 1/2 stars instead of 4. I mostly enjoyed the story but started to like it a little less toward the end--maybe it's wrapped up a little to neatly? I prefer art that's a little cleaner too.
Jay Bullman
Feb 25, 2010 Jay Bullman rated it really liked it
This is just action packed fun. The characters are a bunch of bad asses. This is the non-cheesy version of the A-Team. I can't wait to read the next one.
Feb 19, 2011 Mo rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
Read this after watching the movie and both were just as entertaining, the book possibly even more so. The book definitely has a bit more substance to it.
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, reviewed
This is one for all of the fans of corrupt government revenge thrillers out there. Solid, well plotted and paced escapism.
  • Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home
  • Red
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 1: In the Beginning
  • Young Liars, Vol. 1: Daydream Believer
  • Powers, Vol. 12: The 25 Coolest Dead Superheroes of All Time
Andy Diggle is a British comic book writer and former editor of 2000 AD. He is best known for his work on The Losers,Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Adam Strange and Silent Dragon at DC Comics and for his run on Thunderbolts and Daredevil after his move to Marvel.

In 2013 Diggle left writing DC's Action Comics and began working with Dynamite Entertainment, writing a paranormal crime series Uncanny. He is
More about Andy Diggle...

The Losers (2 books)