The Griffin's War

The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  18 reviews
After promising his allegiance to the Night God, Arenadd Taranisaii escapes death for the second time and vows to free his people. With the dark griffin Skandar by his side, Arenadd begins to gather an army and prepare for war using the power gifted to him by the Night God to move through the shadows.
But even as Arenadd's strength grows his nemesis sets out for the Islan...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Ace Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Griffin's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Griffin's War

Anthony Eaton
Katie Taylor is the sort of writer who makes the rest of us look bad. It's just a little over a year ago that I launched the first book in her The Fallen Moon trilogy, and now almost exactly 12 months later, the final book is about to hit the shelves.

It took me a decade to do the same.

If you're not familiar with K J Taylor's work, then I suspect that before a lot longer you will be. She's launched herself into the speculative writing world in spectacular fashion with this trilogy, and her output...more
Tsana Dolichva
The Griffin's War by KJ Taylor is the final book in The Fallen Moon trilogy. That said, a sequel series in the process of being released (book two is due out in April). I have previously reviewed book one: The Dark Griffin and book two: The Griffin's Flight.

(view spoiler)...more
Nerine Dorman
And thus ends my reading of a trilogy that I've both loved and itched to assail with my red pen. The Fallen Moon trilogy has a lot going for it: griffins, magic and a war between nations that threatens to tear down an entire society. Oh, never mind impossible loves, and two chosen ones (light and dark) who must battle it out.

What I particularly liked about this trilogy was that KJ Taylor subverts standard expectations when it comes to the protagonist/antagonist. If you take a step back, you beg...more
Shaheen
The Griffin’s War finishes off The Fallen Moon series admirably and delivers an action packed story that explores the darkest sides of human nature. I don’t know why, but I kept looking for themes of redemption throughout this book, as if somehow, Arenadd would find something and cease to become ‘The Dark Lord’. Silly me, I knew all along that The Fallen Moon series is not about a hero in the traditional sense, and I enjoy the themes that K. J. Taylor explores in the trilogy – but I guess old ha...more
Brandi
Mercy Dragonslayer
Some of the stuff in this book is really good. Some of it isn't.

Erian. If I could strangle, flog, burn-at-the-stake, drown, or otherwise cause death and extreme suffering to any character, Erian is near the top of my list. I HATE the guy. His only redeeming quality is after he goes strutting out of the cathedral and Arenadd . . . well. I don't want to spoil it. But that scene was awesome.

I love the fact that the war is actually in motion at last, that Arenadd and Skandar are finally buckling dow...more
Angevon
pauliree
This was a satisfying finish to a generally competent fantasy. I enjoyed reading this but I'm not sure if I will ever bother rereading, which is my ultimate test of whether I truly love something. Not that I don't recommend this series, I do. It is a great example of making a less than heroic hero sympathetic and I am very interested to see where the author takes these characters in the next series, which is all already published, yay.
Robin
I thought this was going to be the final book in the series, but by the ending, I think there must be at least one more. I guess I'll have to wait to learn how it all turns out.

I found this one a little disappointing to be honest. I guess I was expecting it to build off the other books more than it did. The tone and style fit with the other books for the most part, but there were a few added elements that just didn't do it for me. For instance, there's a lot more lovey-dovey stuff in this one (n...more
Jane
In the acknowledgments, the author mentions listening to the album Dark Passion Play by Nightwish while writing and I was like 'Hey, cool... I own that' so I listened to it while reading one day.The dark moments were tempered by ones of love or compassion so that although you could never fully like Arenadd, or even Erian it was hard to hate them. This book concludes in such a way that you feel you have come to an ending, and yet there are a few minor niggling questions about what will still happ...more
Karl
I am writing this 50 pages before the end of the trilogy. I don't know what is going to happen but I will enjoy finding out. The series is fantastic. The best thing about it is that you don't quite know who is good and who is evil. Sure, one side has human sacrifice and is murdering everyone but in their defense they were made slaves and were persecuted for hundreds of years. I really want them to win their freedom back!
Tom Flaherty
Arrenadd's descent from humanity throughout his ascent to power is at once beautiful and tragic, triumphant and crushing, soulful and truly, utterly, soulless. Again, a magical work which projects all the very real complexities and imperfections of reality into a fantastically rendered world of fantasy.
Nathan
Ummm... yeah. I can't get behind an undead hero who kills defenseless women, serving a god who demands human sacrifice, who also suffers loss after loss after loss. I was hoping for redemption for some of the secondary characters, but they're all dead or fled and evil triumphs. I regret the purchase.
Yvonne Boag
I think Taylor has to be congratulated on this series. She has shown that there is no black and white to peoples actions. We can be horrified by what they do yet understand why. The only characters in the book whose behaviour is truly evil is the gods. I highly recommend this series.
Rhonda
This book was fantastic!!! I hope she doesn't end it here as I feel there is more story to tell. The whole series was a great read and one that I am sure to enjoy for years to come. (Yes, I am one of those folks who will read a well loved book more than once.
Isabelle
Its kinda sad in the end how skade dies, i guess now Arrenatt is gonna be totally evil, I liked the book it didnt and how i thought it ended better!
Donald
Fast Read, but Erian was just a bad character. Skandar was still great, but I got a bit tired of Erian/Arrenadd rivalry.
Clare
Quite a dark book series. Review coming soon...
Madalina  Mocanu
Madalina Mocanu marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Pascal
Pascal added it
Aug 04, 2014
Joshua S Hill
Joshua S Hill marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Fabi The
Fabi The marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)
  • Spice & Wolf, Book 6
  • Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
  • Dragon Rule
  • The Dragon Delasangre (Dragon Delasangre, #1)
  • The Son of Summer Stars (Firebringer, #3)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • Manta's Gift
  • Redeeming The Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • Tamlyn (Silvermay, #2)
  • Lord of the Changing Winds (Griffin Mage, #1)
  • The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)
K.J.Taylor was born in Australia in 1986 and plans to stay alive for as long as possible. She went to Radford College and achieved a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications at the University of Canberra, where she is currently studying for a Master’s Degree in Information Studies.

She published her first work, The Land of Bad Fantasy through Scholastic when she was just 18, and went on to publish The D...more
More about K.J. Taylor...
The Dark Griffin (The Fallen Moon, #1) The Griffin's Flight (The Fallen Moon, #2) The Shadow's Heir (The Risen Sun, #1) The Shadowed Throne (The Risen Sun, #2) The Shadow’s Heart (The Risen Sun #3)