Start by marking “The Griffin's War” as Want to Read:
The Griffin's War

The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)

After promising his allegiance to the Night God, Arenadd Taranisaii escapes death for the second time and vows to free his people. With the dark griffin Skandar by his side, Arenadd begins to gather an army and prepare for war using the power gifted to him by the Night God to move through the shadows.
But even as Arenadd's strength grows his nemesis sets out for the Islan
Published February 1st 2011 by Ace Books (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Griffin's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Griffin's War

Anthony Eaton
Sep 14, 2010 Anthony Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie Taylor is the sort of writer who makes the rest of us look bad. It's just a little over a year ago that I launched the first book in her The Fallen Moon trilogy, and now almost exactly 12 months later, the final book is about to hit the shelves.

It took me a decade to do the same.

If you're not familiar with K J Taylor's work, then I suspect that before a lot longer you will be. She's launched herself into the speculative writing world in spectacular fashion with this trilogy, and her output
Tom Flaherty
Oct 11, 2010 Tom Flaherty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arrenadd's descent from humanity throughout his ascent to power is at once beautiful and tragic, triumphant and crushing, soulful and truly, utterly, soulless. Again, a magical work which projects all the very real complexities and imperfections of reality into a fantastically rendered world of fantasy.
May 01, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
In the acknowledgments, the author mentions listening to the album Dark Passion Play by Nightwish while writing and I was like 'Hey, cool... I own that' so I listened to it while reading one day.The dark moments were tempered by ones of love or compassion so that although you could never fully like Arenadd, or even Erian it was hard to hate them. This book concludes in such a way that you feel you have come to an ending, and yet there are a few minor niggling questions about what will still happ ...more
Mar 28, 2011 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was going to be the final book in the series, but by the ending, I think there must be at least one more. I guess I'll have to wait to learn how it all turns out.

I found this one a little disappointing to be honest. I guess I was expecting it to build off the other books more than it did. The tone and style fit with the other books for the most part, but there were a few added elements that just didn't do it for me. For instance, there's a lot more lovey-dovey stuff in this one (n
Teril rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2011
May 12, 2011 Donald rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fast Read, but Erian was just a bad character. Skandar was still great, but I got a bit tired of Erian/Arrenadd rivalry.
Yvonne Boag
Jun 08, 2011 Yvonne Boag rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think Taylor has to be congratulated on this series. She has shown that there is no black and white to peoples actions. We can be horrified by what they do yet understand why. The only characters in the book whose behaviour is truly evil is the gods. I highly recommend this series.
Jun 30, 2011 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ummm... yeah. I can't get behind an undead hero who kills defenseless women, serving a god who demands human sacrifice, who also suffers loss after loss after loss. I was hoping for redemption for some of the secondary characters, but they're all dead or fled and evil triumphs. I regret the purchase.
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2011
Sep 11, 2011 Isabelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its kinda sad in the end how skade dies, i guess now Arrenatt is gonna be totally evil, I liked the book it didnt and how i thought it ended better!
Signe' rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2012
Dan rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Diana rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Jake rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Shaheen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Griffin’s War finishes off The Fallen Moon series admirably and delivers an action packed story that explores the darkest sides of human nature. I don’t know why, but I kept looking for themes of redemption throughout this book, as if somehow, Arenadd would find something and cease to become ‘The Dark Lord’. Silly me, I knew all along that The Fallen Moon series is not about a hero in the traditional sense, and I enjoy the themes that K. J. Taylor explores in the trilogy – but I guess old ha ...more
Sep 04, 2012 B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aug 29, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic!!! I hope she doesn't end it here as I feel there is more story to tell. The whole series was a great read and one that I am sure to enjoy for years to come. (Yes, I am one of those folks who will read a well loved book more than once.
Mercy Dragonslayer
Some of the stuff in this book is really good. Some of it isn't.

Erian. If I could strangle, flog, burn-at-the-stake, drown, or otherwise cause death and extreme suffering to any character, Erian is near the top of my list. I HATE the guy. His only redeeming quality is after he goes strutting out of the cathedral and Arenadd . . . well. I don't want to spoil it. But that scene was awesome.

I love the fact that the war is actually in motion at last, that Arenadd and Skandar are finally buckling dow
Alysia rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Suvesh rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Tsana Dolichva
Feb 03, 2013 Tsana Dolichva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Griffin's War by KJ Taylor is the final book in The Fallen Moon trilogy. That said, a sequel series in the process of being released (book two is due out in April). I have previously reviewed book one: The Dark Griffin and book two: The Griffin's Flight.

(view spoiler)
Jan 11, 2013 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am writing this 50 pages before the end of the trilogy. I don't know what is going to happen but I will enjoy finding out. The series is fantastic. The best thing about it is that you don't quite know who is good and who is evil. Sure, one side has human sacrifice and is murdering everyone but in their defense they were made slaves and were persecuted for hundreds of years. I really want them to win their freedom back!
Nerine Dorman
Mar 08, 2013 Nerine Dorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And thus ends my reading of a trilogy that I've both loved and itched to assail with my red pen. The Fallen Moon trilogy has a lot going for it: griffins, magic and a war between nations that threatens to tear down an entire society. Oh, never mind impossible loves, and two chosen ones (light and dark) who must battle it out.

What I particularly liked about this trilogy was that KJ Taylor subverts standard expectations when it comes to the protagonist/antagonist. If you take a step back, you beg
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014
This was a satisfying finish to a generally competent fantasy. I enjoyed reading this but I'm not sure if I will ever bother rereading, which is my ultimate test of whether I truly love something. Not that I don't recommend this series, I do. It is a great example of making a less than heroic hero sympathetic and I am very interested to see where the author takes these characters in the next series, which is all already published, yay.
Bailey Atkinson
Bailey Atkinson rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Vickey Foggin
Nov 03, 2015 Vickey Foggin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked the first book in this trilogy more than the second two. The storyline zagged and the main character changed dramatically--so dramatically that his main conflict with most of the secondary characters in this book was "you've changed". It got boring. I was left reading about two incredibly unlikable people plotting against each other. I wasn't really cheering for either side. It was an ok read, but not a particularly fun or engaging one.
Jan 24, 2016 Brenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thrilling ending (maybe) to a thrilling series. I loved all the twists and turns, truely brillant.
Chantel James
Chantel James rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
  • Forged By Fire (Dragon Temple Saga, #3)
  • The Seadragon's Daughter (Dragon Delasangre, #3)
  • Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
  • Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)
  • Dragon Rule (Age of Fire, #5)
  • Lord of the Changing Winds (Griffin Mage, #1)
  • The Son of Summer Stars (Firebringer, #3)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 6
  • Manta's Gift
  • The Dragon's Son (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #2)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
K.J.Taylor was born in Australia in 1986 and plans to stay alive for as long as possible. She went to Radford College and achieved a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications at the University of Canberra, where she is currently studying for a Master’s Degree in Information Studies.

She published her first work, The Land of Bad Fantasy through Scholastic when she was just 18, and went on to publish The D
More about K.J. Taylor...

The Fallen Moon (3 books)
  • The Dark Griffin (The Fallen Moon, #1)
  • The Griffin's Flight (The Fallen Moon, #2)