Madonna of the Seven Hills (Lucrezia Borgia, #1)

Madonna of the Seven Hills (Lucrezia Borgia #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,068 ratings  ·  52 reviews

In a castle in the mountains outside Rome, Lucrezia Borgia is born into history's most notorious family. Her father, who is to become Pope Alexander VI, receives his first daughter warmly, and her brothers, Cesare and Giovanni, are devoted to her. But on the corrupt and violent streets of the capital the Borgia family are feared, and Lucrezia's father causes scandal, livin

Published (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Madonna of the Seven Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madonna of the Seven Hills

Sharon
This is a story of the Borgia family taking place in Italy during the fifteenth century. I read this story because of my interest in the Borgias after the episode on TV. The novel focuses on the lives of the father (who became Pope Alexander VI) and his four illegitimate children. Most of the story centers around his daughter Lucrezia. It is a story of power, luxury, murder and heartbreak.

Jean Plaidy has written over 100 historical fiction books under several names (many as Jean Holt.) There are...more
Kate Sherrod
This is the first Jean Plaidy book I've ever read that did not concern itself with a Queen of England. I was expecting the reading of it to be a stranger experience.

But Jean Plaidy is always Jean Plaidy, writing as if she's telling a fairy tale but not sparing us any of the unsavory or unpleasant details. So of course she had to take on the infamous Lucrezia Borgia.

I've noticed a tendency, in Plaidy, to build the tale around the most popular anecdote about her subject known at the time, whether...more
Dahlia
Zaista ne znam kako bih ocijenila ovu knjigu. Mislila sam dati tri zvjezdice, ali onda pogledam kojim sam sve knjigama dala tri zvjezdice a puno su lošije. Dati četiri opet bi bilo previše. One stvari koje su mi se svidjele istovremeno bi mi išle na živce u nekim poglavljima.
Ali prije toga, evo ukratko o čemu se radi u knjizi. Za one koji ne znaju, „Madonna of the Seven Hills“ (na hrvatskom prevedena kao Gospa od sedam brežuljaka) govori o Lucreziji Borgiji, vanbračnom djetetu kardinala Rodriga...more
Pauline Montagna
As a schoolgirl I devoured Jean Plaidy’s novels. Her tales of intrigue and passion in high places were heady stuff for a girl attending a convent school. I longed to be one of Charles II’s mistresses, or live in Renaissance Italy. The books that remained with me most were her Lucrezia Borgia series. To a sheltered Catholic teenager, the ambitions and amorality of the Borgia pope and his family were shocking and titillating. Recently, I thought I might revisit Jean Plaidy and found second-hand co...more
Chris
Because of the TV Series on the Borgias, I reread this and Light on Lucrezia Alsdo by Jean Plaidy. I believe anyone watching this series woud gain a lot by reading a Plaidy first. She lived from 1 Sept 1906 until 18 January 1993. Her real name was Eleanor Alice Burford Hibbert. She wrote under many names (8-15). Over 31 novels were written as Victoria Holt and sold over 51 million copies and were gothic romances. She aso wote fiction as Philippa Carr that were set in historical times, though the...more
Robin
Once again, Plaidy's character assessment is what makes this book. Her characterization of all the characters, but particular Cesare and his relationship with Lucrezia, worked so well to bring them alive and allow us to understand them.

Plaidy's forward note which states "Only by judging the Borgias against their own times can they arouse our sympathy, and only if they arouse our sympathy can they be understood" is incredibly accurate, not just of this novel and the Borgias but of history in gen...more
Allie
My first Plaidy and I am hooked! I will say it did take me longer than expected to really get into the book. But once I did, I didn't want to put it down. I am waiting for the 2nd book is this series to arrive in the mail! The Borgia family is very interesting! I read The Borgia Bride a few months ago and wanted to read more. I enjoyed this version of the Borgias maybe more than Kalogridis' perhaps because it doesn't seem as exaggerated. It is a quick read which was a nice change of pace for me...more
MV Mariani
I really really wanted to like this book. I really did!

After seeing the show about their family, I wanted to immerse myself in a juicy book about it, especially about Lucrezia, and I believe that's the reason I even reached the end of this book in the first place.

I was starved for a story about them, and as any starved person, at first, I devoured what was in front of me without giving it much thought but then, when I slowly became full, I realized how dull it was.

I kept on waiting for Lucrezi...more
Jacqi
Totally addictive thus far. Purchased for my Kindle - but I think this one is certainly a keeper - so I'll be ordering the actual book. Looking forward to the HBO/Showtime series now...

Changed this to FIVE stars - and I downloaded the next installment immediately to my Kindle...
Andrea
Certainly more fiction than historical, I still loved every minute of this book. Plaidy herself makes an interesting point in her introduction to her work on the Borgias noting that we must judge the Borgias against their own time if they are to arouse sympathy and thus be understood in our modern period. Yes, the scandals and legends are outrageous and practically a parody of our current soap operas, but even the kernel of truth within them point to a time and place where to some extent might d...more
Bookworm
Since I love historical novels, I was very surprised that I never heard of Jean Plaidy before. She has written so many books! I came across her name while browsing historical-fiction and decided to give her work a try.

Madonna of the seven hills was the book I chose. It was nice to read historical fiction about someone I know very little about. I did not know where the story would be going. I enjoyed the story a lot and will be reading part II soon. However I do have some negative comments to mak...more
Hobby
Judul Asli : THE BORGIAS : MADONNA OF THE SEVEN HILLS
[ book 1 of THE BORGIAS Series ]
Copyright © 1958, 1974 by Jean Plaidy
Copyright renewed © 1986 by Jean Plaidy
Penerbit : Elex Media Komputindo
Alih Bahasa : Eka Budiarti
Cetakan I : Februari 2013 ; 488 hlm

Nama Lucrezia Borgia merupakan daya tarik tersendiri bagi penggemar kisah sejarah. Bukan saja karena ia merupakan keturunan keluarga Borgia yang memegang kekuasaan serta mengendalikan pemerintahan melalui Vatikan, Roma, tetapi juga permainan int...more
Debbie Young
I've never read any of Jean Plaidy's books before and read this because it was nominated by a historical novelists' book group I belong to that focuses on historical novels. I have many friends and relations who have enjoyed her books so was interested to see what the fuss was about, especially now that, having been out of fashion for a while, her books have been reissued.

I found this a curious book. It reminded me partly of a high school history text book, carefully and elaborately explaining t...more
Becky
What disturbs me most about Madonna of the Seven Hills is that Jean Plaidy bothered listing The Life of Cesare Borgia by Rafael Sabatini in her bibliography. If indeed she read the biography, she chose to disregard it completely. For this novel breaks all of Sabatini's rules. This novel thrives on the LEGENDARY sins of the Borgia family. It builds up this fantastical, sensational notion of what the family was like. The most sympathetically presented is, of course, Lucrezia.

Two of Plaidy's novel...more
Shoshanah
As soon as I realized this book had been released I was really looking forward to reading it. First it was written by Jean Plaidy, I've already raved about her over and over so I'll try to avoid doing that once again. Second it was about the Borgias family, and this would be my first time reading anything about them. I am happy to report back that I wasn't disappointed.

While the book follows the Borgiases from Pope Alexander VI to his 3 illegitimate sons, the focus is on his daughter Lucrezia. I...more
Christina
I am a big fan of Jean Plaidy's books. I read the first 10 books in her Plantagenet series and loved them; I will certainly return to and finish that 13 book series.

The Borgia family is quite the fascinating family. In fact, I even considered the name Lucrezia as one for my daughter. Maybe not the best thought, but it is a beautiful name.

Plaidy's writing is superb. She is a master at character development and immediately sucks you into the story. I have never been disappointed with her books. Al...more
Crystal
I didn’t know much about the Borgia’s before reading this, and I had such a great time learning about them as I was reading this! Just like any other book by Plaidy, you can always count on her to tell a story in such an interesting way that you don’t even realize it’s based on history.

The Borgia’s are such an interesting family, I loved the dynamic Plaidy portrayed between the brothers and Lucrezia, as well as their father, who loves them more than anything in the world. Alexander is just as co...more
L'aura
Well-intentioned and well researched, it features some unlikely character portrayals and a dull prose. I would have liked it better, I think, had I not already read so many books about the Borgias.
Fran Fisher
Love that historical fiction. No wonder the Borgias make great fodder for drama. Jewels, sex, the pope's children, armies, battles, ring kissing. I can hear the dramatic chords as each scene plays out.
Angelic Zaizai

Baca buku ini berasa kaya nonton serial, dramatis, penuh intrik, seru
sayangnya ternyata bersambung T____T

Jujur aja, belum terlalu kenal dengan keluarga Borgia, keturunan Spanyol yang berhasil menjadi Paus di Vatikan
beuuuh, meskipun Paus, bukan berarti orang benar-benar suci looh... buktinya
doyan pere' booo... punya anak haram juga

karena masih buku pertama, jadi kebanyakan sih tentang pengenalan tokoh-tokohnya,
dan Lucrezia-nya ga terlalu jadi fokus di sini, baru akhir-akhir agak keliatan
sifatn...more
Erica
I love historical fiction because it fascinates me how authors try to get into the minds of real people and events and weave a story. But this was just not as engaging as Plaidy's other novels. Also, for some reason why I found the immorality and depravity interesting with other historical figures, for some reason I could not stomach it coming from the Vatican. Borgia really disgusted me and if even a fraction is true I cannot understand how the Catholic Church made it to this century. This is o...more
W. Nicol
Absolutely brilliant. Led me to research this period and the Borgias in detail.
Faith
Very good.... first book I have read on the Borgias. Quite entertaining
Maureen
21. Madonna of the Seven Hills, Jean Plaidy. The author presents her own thesis of the life of Lucrezia Borgia--not as the poison wielding seductress rumored through history, but the unwitting victim of powerful men who used her their pawn. An interesting portrayal though at times I did not believe the dialogue to be believable. If you enjoyed the Borgia series on Showtime and can't get enough of this incomparable family, you'll enjoy this book--the first of a series of 2 about the life of Lucre...more
Victoria
I love Jean Plaidy because you always know what you're getting. A brisk, well-written historical tale that is based on the facts. Her books aren't particularly racy, but they're dependable and easy to read.
This was my first Plaidy that wasn't about the English monarchy, but it stuck to the same formula, and so was enjoyed. I don't know a lot about the Borgias, so any recommendations for good books about them would be appreciated.
Ruchi Goel
I recently read Borgia bride by Jeanne Kalogridis which is the tale of the same Borgia family but from a different perspective. There are a few consistencies, especially in the character portrayal of Sanchia - the Borgia bride and Lucrezia Borgia the daughter of the family...though oth books are fiction but it makes you wonder what actually happened and if Italy was as depraved in those imes as portrayed in both these books.
Elizabeth
A bit tamer than Kalogridis' take on The Borgia, but nonetheless engrossing, Jean Plaidy tells the story of Lucrezia Borgia while choosing to maintain the idea of the character's innocence. (History has diverging opinions concerning Lucrezia's role in her family's schemes.) It was a quick read, and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel: "Light on Lucrezia."
Meghan
I really liked this book and thought that Lucrezia was a very relatable character. There were times when I was jealous, angry, and happy for her all through out the novel. I wish the book store would have had the second novel in this series when I bought this one because I really wish I could read it next. Jean Plaidy does not disappoint.
Tamsin
light look at the scandal and corruption surrounding the Borgia family in 15th century Italy. Poor Lucrezia was very much the pawn of her controlling brothers and father, the pope , who represented everything that is wrong with the catholic church. i hate to leave series unfinished so am off to start the sequel now.
Michele
A good book about Lucrezia Borgia from her birth to about age 20. She is sweet and innocent, lacking guile during these early years. This book was written over 50 years ago, and is not as racy or explicit as many of the historical novels are today. It is the first in a series of books on Lucrezia by this author.
  • Sins of the House of Borgia
  • The Borgia Betrayal (The Poisoner Mysteries, #2)
  • The Scarlet Contessa
  • The Courtesan's Lover
  • Lucrezia Borgia
  • Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • The Princess of Nowhere
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million)....more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Queens of England Series, #11)