Start by marking “Emus Loose in Egnar: Big Stories from Small Towns” as Want to Read:
Emus Loose in Egnar: Big Stories from Small Towns

Emus Loose in Egnar: Big Stories from Small Towns

At a time when mainstream news media are hemorrhaging and doomsayers are predicting the death of journalism, take heart: the First Amendment is alive and well in small towns across America. In Emus Loose in Egnar, award-winning journalist Judy Muller takes the reader on a grassroots tour of rural American newspapers, from an Indian reservation in Montana to the Alaska tund ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by University of Nebraska Press

To ask other readers questions about Emus Loose in Egnar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emus Loose in Egnar

Evan Brandt
Dec 04, 2011 Evan Brandt rated it did not like it
Gave up on this promising puppy.

Loved the subject, and the first two chapters were bearable, b ut it lost steam, she kept using the same examples and I lost interest.

When you consider that I'm in the business and SHOULD be more interested in this, that's pretty sad.

It was written like a milquetoast feature story in a second-rate weekly.
Dana Stabenow
Feb 06, 2013 Dana Stabenow rated it really liked it
How big is your town? Big enough to support it's own weekly newspaper? If not, you're missing out. As witness, from the Concrete Herald (Washington state) police blotter:

January 9 (2010): People caused a traffic hazard on State Route 20 near Marblemount because they were standing in the road, taking pictures of eagles. (That's right: IN the road). A deputy checked the area and also notified the Washington State Patrol and Darwin Award Officials.

It's a hundred entertaining pages more before we ev
Stewart
Nov 13, 2013 Stewart rated it liked it
Judy Muller’s “Emus Loose in Egnar: Big Stories from Small Towns” is an interesting piece of reportage about small-town newspapers and their editors and reporters. It was published by the University of Nebraska Press in 2011.
Muller, who has worked as a correspondent for CBS, ABC, and PBS, points out that while newspapers in medium and large cities have seen their advertising shrink and have experienced layoffs, the small-town press is generally doing quite well. She also points out that small-
Brian
Aug 19, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
Disclosure of a personal prejudice: The author is a friend.

Judy Muller does a great job of reporting about reporting for small town newspapers. She delves into the delicate balance between serving the higher cause of truth while managing to stay in favor with advertisers and readers ... and when your circulation is 600, many of them are the same people. Do you print them names on the police blotter, perhaps revealing that your biggest advertiser got a DUI over the weekend?

She travelled the cou
Liz
Sep 16, 2011 Liz rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mom (if feeling nostalgic)
Who knew that there is a sector of American newspapers that is doing well? I never would have guessed that small-town weeklies were holding their own in the 21st century, but apparently in the West, at least, they are. This was an entertaining, quick read, if a bit more regional in scope than I had imagined (lots of focus on land use, natural resource and Native American issues). I made running mental comparisons with the weekly newspaper I grew up with, which indeed devotes many of its pages to ...more
Jill
Apr 26, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Really great book about the trials and tribulations of running a small town newspaper. The author traveled around the country talking to those on the front lines of small town newspaper journalism. From North Carolina to Washington, Judy Miller has told the stories of current newspaper reporters and editors, as well as those who came before. She mentions the bravery of many of the journalists, but also highlights some of the injustices and prejudices toward the journalists. It will make you root ...more
Harriet Wrye
Mar 29, 2012 Harriet Wrye rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Judy Muller is a national journalistic treasure--sapient, witty, incisive and devoted to truth in print and healthy journalism. I kept reading passages out loud to my husband then had to fend him off from taking the book off my nightstand. Muller writes with passion and savvy about small town newspapers and their dedicated publishers. I found it inspiring to hear their stories. It made me appreciate so much more the challenges they face, the courage with which they pursue their ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
While big city newspapers lose readers to online sources and television, small town newspapers are thriving. This book shares rousing, thought-provoking, and sometimes funny stories about the newspapers themselves and the proprietors/editors/reporters (often all the same person) tangling with the issues and difficulties of living among the people they're reporting about. The author showcases these journalists as they range from censorship problems to big corporation corruption to cranky neighbor ...more
David Ward
Oct 06, 2011 David Ward rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Emus Loose in Egnar: Big Stories From Small Towns by Judy Muller (U. Nebraska Press 2011)(071.3). What a great title! This book sounds like so much more than it turned out to be! In browsing the library shelves, I thought I had located a collection of odd but true news stories from small midwestern towns. What the book actually is, though, is an overview and travel tour of weekly newspapers. I was disappointed. My rating: 2/10, finished 10/5/11.
David
Nov 06, 2011 David rated it liked it
A fun little work about small-town newspapers, written by an editor of a small-town newspaper, that nicely outlines the joys and sorrows of such enterprises. Ms. Muller is an excellent journalist and she writes like one, Quick read and most enjoyable.
Marilee Steffen
Jan 17, 2016 Marilee Steffen rated it liked it
Weekly newspapers are the lifeblood of small towns. The author takes us on a tour of rural American newspapers. While the big newspapers are barely surviving, rural weeklies are thriving.
Peter
Sep 27, 2011 Peter rated it liked it
A loving (if occasionally condescending) tribute to small-town newspaper-ing. Worth reading for the chapter on obits alone.
Cynthia
Jul 19, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Enlightening and fun to read. I've been working at a small town paper for more than a decade and this book definitely clarified many parts of my job for me.
J. Brent Bill
Aug 04, 2011 J. Brent Bill rated it really liked it
A delightful book about small newspapers -- the EKGs of tiny towns and rural counties across the land.
Judy Muller
Judy Muller rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Will James
Will James rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Lexi
Lexi rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Doug Hock
Doug Hock rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2017
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2011
Karl
Karl rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
John
John rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Tyler Dos Santos-Tam
Tyler Dos Santos-Tam rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Jackie Baker
Jackie Baker rated it did not like it
May 21, 2014
Marilyn Saul
Marilyn Saul rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Sue
Aug 27, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture
This is a must-read for anyone who lives in or used to live in a small town.
Alex Davis
Alex Davis rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
Susan
Nov 08, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
I wanted to heard more about the emus.
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013