Start by marking “Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Holocaust

Holocaust

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  879 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
All too often, straight historical accounts of the Holocaust allow readers a certain detachment from the horrific events, policies, and processes that actually took place. Gerald Green’s novel, Holocaust--based on his teleplay for the 1978 NBC miniseries--seeks to personalize the tragedy by putting faces on the real life tragedy and telling the story of two German families ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by RosettaBooks (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holocaust

Brenda
Jul 15, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read this back in the late 70's..I have the 1978 hardcover edition.

This is, in my opinion, one of the forgotten gems of the literary world. In Holocaust we go back and forward between Rudy Weiss, a young Jewish man trying to escape the Nazi regime and Erik Dorff, a Nazi officer. The two men are connected by Rudy's father, who was a doctor and treated Mr. Dorff's wife.

Throughout the entire novel, there is a sense of foreboding, even in a light hearted situation. I'd recommend this book to eve
Mordiallity
Nov 26, 2014 Mordiallity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knjižni-klub
It was really hard for me to read this book! I must addmit I try to avoid this kind of books. They just make me sad. But at the Book club it was a must read so I did. And I am not dissapointed!! It is a great book. And I have cried a lot reading it through.
Alison
Aug 11, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of all time!
Ellen
Oct 23, 2008 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
This is my favorite book of all time and, in my humble opinion, one of the forgotten gems of the literary world. In this novel, we bounce between two stories: The story of Rudy Weiss, a young Jewish man trying to escape the Nazi Regime and Erik Dorff, a Nazi officer. The two stories are connected by one minor character, Rudy's father, who was a doctor and treated Mr. Dorff's wife. Throughout the entire novel, there is a sense of foreboding, even in the most pleasant of scenes, which can be hard ...more
Abracalibro Blog Literario
Holocausto es una bella novela sobre la persecución y exterminio del pueblo judío durante el Tercer Reich. A pesar de ser una novela sin sorpresas ni giros argumentales, su localización espacial y temporal y su exquisito tratamiento de los personajes convierten la lectura de Holocausto en una experiencia más que agradable para aquellos lectores que sienten inclinación por las novelas ambientadas en la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

Lee nuestra reseña completa aquí.
Frank
Mar 14, 2014 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing account of the Holocaust portrayed through the eyes of a Jewish survivor and the diaries of an SS Major who is highly complicit in the mass annihilation of the Jews in Europe. Although this is a fictional account, it draws heavily on real events and includes scenes and information about the atrocities committed by the Nazis at Babi Yar, Auschwitz, Theresienstadt, Sobibor, and other Nazi concentration camps. It is the story of the Weiss family, a Jewish family from Berlin, who were sys ...more
Velvetink
Gerald Green has concentrated on the history of the Holocaust for many years & written 2 previous books on the subject. Artists of Terezin & The Legion of the Noble Christians.

The scene is 1935 Berlin, where Dr Weiss is a physician and Erik Dorf a struggling young lawyer. It's a tale of their two families during the war.

I have the 1978 hardcover edition
Iina
Nov 22, 2014 Iina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Toinen maailmansota -teemasyksyni jatkuu (vierailu Auschwitzissa syyslomalla herätti tällaisen tarpeen). Polttouhrit on kertakaikkisen hieno teos. Siinä havainnollistuu kaunokirjallisuuden voima tehdä ymmärrettäväksi asioita, jotka ovat meille täysin vieraita, kuten nyt vaikkapa se, mitä ihmettä natsien päissä on voinut liikkua. Teoksen rakenne toimii: näkökulma vaihtelee luvuittain juurikin erään SS-upseerin ja toisaalta juutalaisperheen pojan välillä. Green on upottanut romaaniinsa kiitettävän ...more
Belinda Missen
Dec 01, 2015 Belinda Missen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the subject matter, this is one of my favourite books of all time.
Vanessa
I first read this book way back when I was in college. I heard the story a hundred of times but it wasn’t that appealing so I never searched the book in our school library or online. But one time, while I was in our school audio visual room, I accidentally found this book. My intention really is to return the book to the owner, but there’s no name printed on it, I know I could just surrender it to the lost and found office but I don’t have any idea why I kept it. Well, enough of this boring flas ...more
Feb 25, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The non-fiction book I read about WWII is an older book called Holocaust by Gerald Greene. It tells two stories, one from the perspective of a SS soldier and later officer who is at Heydrich's right side, listening, reporting, and ordering things that concern the annihilation of Jews; and the other of a Jewish man who becomes a partisan, falls in love, and loses everyone and everything he cares about at the hands of the Nazis. Both of these men and their stories are described and told in vivid ...more
Breanna Thompson
"In the three years between 1935 and 1938, the slow strangling of Jewish life had continued." Gerald Green's "Holocaust" recounts both the devastating impact and immense oppression that the Holocaust had caused. This novel contains excerpts from the diaries of two families who were directly affected by the holocaust. Although, stark, gritty and devastating, this novel is a must-read. It leaves a lasting impact on the reader, and enables us to realize that we should be grateful that we had not ha ...more
Walter Villalobos
Mar 16, 2013 Walter Villalobos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La familia integral

Vertientes distintas que nos conducen a dos únicos finales; la vida y la muerte. Se llego a un punto donde algunos vieron el error que cometieron y rectificaron, otros no lo lograron a tiempo y finalmente, otros mas simplemente sucumbieron.

La historia toca la fibra sensible, sin duda un gran libro, no solo en el aspecto técnico de su narración sino su crudeza en la descripción de las distintas situaciones que iban sucediendo. A pesar ser un libro bastante extenso; la lectura
Carla JFCL
Jan 13, 2014 Carla JFCL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t say much about this book that hasn’t already been said in the 35 years since it was published. Essentially, it’s historical fiction of the most frightening sort: horrifying memoirs of The Holocaust and the events leading up to it from two points of view (a teenaged Jewish boy living in Berlin at the start of the war, and a young SS officer.)

Yes, most of us “know this story,” but it really can’t be told too often, as we must never forget it. I will say that, as a person who has actually
Gemma Shucksmith
I stumbled across this in a 2nd hand bookshop and I was so happy too. The 1st time I read the book I couldn't put it down. Then I discovered the book had be turned into a TV series in the late seventies. Luckily it was on youtube and I ended up watching it over 2 days. I've now read this book (currently on my 6th time) 5 times and it still gets me emotional. Fantastic, there are really no words huge enough to use to illustrate how good this book is.
Vibe Sonne
Sep 11, 2015 Vibe Sonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book, which I'll never get rid off. There's so many feelings in my body right now. I'm almost numb.

Right from the first chapter I was hooked on this. Every word I read, made me want to read more and more. It's so precise about what REALLY happened during the Second World War, and when there were "all-most-encounters" between the main characters I was mind blown, and I still am.

The book is really detailed, graphic, brutal, mind blowing, sad, depressing and romantic.

TOTALLY WORTH IT
Shardallinee

Gerald Green's novel Holocaust was my Mom's choice for our monthly book club reading.

It is a story of two German families, the Dorfs and Weiss, whose lives intersect at certain points during the tragedy that was the WWII. Dorfs are thriving under the new Nazi regime, yet jewish Weiss family is doomed from the start. It is a story everyone should read, it speeks of inner strength of men, women and children while being dehumanized. It speaks of war and all its sides and tragedies.
We should learn f
Jenni
Jul 28, 2014 Jenni marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rekisteröin kirjan BookCrossing.com-sivustolla!
Mary Frances
Sep 20, 2013 Mary Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reissued as a Kindle book by Rosetta books, this is a book I never read, though I did see the miniseries many years ago. It's a good book with characters who are largely indistinguishable, but the focus of the book is on 2 young men, one who joins the SS and is eventually lost to decency, and one who becomes a partisan and eventually finds the Promised Land. There's a bit of the Forrest Gump thing about the book- since it is told from the perspective of 2 families they keep popping up in Baba Ya ...more
Laura palabras
Nov 26, 2015 Laura palabras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fascinante historia, te hace ver la realidad de como fueron aquellos días tan espelusnantes
Dale (Aus)
This was a good way of lering about a world gone mad and I read it after the tv series was aired.
Sharon
Sep 06, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few books bring me to tears. This book, not only made me cry, but broke my heart too! Through the author's descriptive & poignant writing, the absolute horror of the Holocaust comes to life. It will definitely stay with me for a long, long time.
Shannon B
Feb 01, 2015 Shannon B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intense, deep, and disturbing look at the Holocaust from the perspective of a young Jewish male as well as a young man who becomes a high ranking SS officer.
Kiri Woods
I have read this book several times, heart breaking and truly unforgettable!
Eulalia Mira
Jan 27, 2015 Eulalia Mira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Não me lembro que idade tinha quando li este livro pela primeira vez.... talvez uns 14, 15 anos.... Marcou-me profundamente!!!!!
Jeanette B
Sep 26, 2008 Jeanette B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book about a soldier in the German army and a jewish family. Amazing how he captured the minds of the german soldier and the jewish family. He explained how these german soldiers convinced themselves that what they were doing was right and for the greater good.
Shari
Sep 22, 2008 Shari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells of the holocaust from two perspectives, both German, one a jew, the other a soldier. The descriptions of the horrors are every bit as distubing as I expected them to be, more so. A numbness has overcome me as I continue to trudge through in finishing this book...
Adam Shallcross
Nov 03, 2012 Adam Shallcross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A harrowing subject and an emotional roller coaster, but a book that everyone should read!

It makes you ask yourself a lot of questions about the human mind and how it can be changed in so many people at the same time, to lead a whole country into such an extreme situation.
Sharon
Mar 29, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book over 25 years ago, my Hardback edition was from a book club with same illustrated cover but with a red surround. I remember watching the television series as well. From my recollections it was both a great book and a great series about an horrific subject.
Claire
Apr 11, 2010 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I found this on my parents' bookshelves during middle school, when my class was reading Anne Frank's diary. Despite being a work of fiction, this book opened my twelve year-old eyes, and brought my understanding of what happened in WWII Europe to whole new level.
  • The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust
  • The Young Hitler I Knew
  • Survival in the Shadows: Seven Jews Hidden in Hitler's Berlin
  • For Those I Loved
  • Lovely Green Eyes
  • Bluffing Mr. Churchill (Inspector Troy, #4)
  • The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single German Town 1922-1945
  • Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust
  • Shoah: The Complete Text Of The Acclaimed Holocaust Film
  • Witness: Voices from the Holocaust
  • The Children's House of Belsen
  • The Nuremberg Interviews
  • The Puppet Boy Of Warsaw
Green attended Columbia College, where he edited the Jester, starred in several Varsity Shows, and was a member of the Philolexian Society. He graduated from the college in 1942 and, after serving in the US Army in Europe during the Second World War, where he was also the editor of the army's Stars and Stripes newspaper, he returned to New York to attend the Columbia Journalism School.

Green wrote
More about Gerald Green...