Start by marking “Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Holocaust

Holocaust

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  653 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Basis of the acclaimed 1979 television mini-series weaving the odyssey of Holocaust victims, taking the reader (and then the viewer) with documentary force through the darkest and most terrible events of the century. Green, a prominent novelist (THE LAST
Published February 5th 2001 by Rosettabooks, LLC (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holocaust

Brenda
Jul 15, 2011 Brenda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read this back in the late 70's..I have the 1978 hardcover edition.

This is, in my opinion, one of the forgotten gems of the literary world. In Holocaust we go back and forward between Rudy Weiss, a young Jewish man trying to escape the Nazi regime and Erik Dorff, a Nazi officer. The two men are connected by Rudy's father, who was a doctor and treated Mr. Dorff's wife.

Throughout the entire novel, there is a sense of foreboding, even in a light hearted situation. I'd recommend this book to eve
Ellen
Oct 23, 2008 Ellen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
This is my favorite book of all time and, in my humble opinion, one of the forgotten gems of the literary world. In this novel, we bounce between two stories: The story of Rudy Weiss, a young Jewish man trying to escape the Nazi Regime and Erik Dorff, a Nazi officer. The two stories are connected by one minor character, Rudy's father, who was a doctor and treated Mr. Dorff's wife. Throughout the entire novel, there is a sense of foreboding, even in the most pleasant of scenes, which can be hard ...more
Frank
Engrossing account of the Holocaust portrayed through the eyes of a Jewish survivor and the diaries of an SS Major who is highly complicit in the mass annihilation of the Jews in Europe. Although this is a fictional account, it draws heavily on real events and includes scenes and information about the atrocities committed by the Nazis at Babi Yar, Auschwitz, Theresienstadt, Sobibor, and other Nazi concentration camps. It is the story of the Weiss family, a Jewish family from Berlin, who were sys ...more
Velvetink
Gerald Green has concentrated on the history of the Holocaust for many years & written 2 previous books on the subject. Artists of Terezin & The Legion of the Noble Christians.

The scene is 1935 Berlin, where Dr Weiss is a physician and Erik Dorf a struggling young lawyer. It's a tale of their two families during the war.

I have the 1978 hardcover edition
Mordiallity
It was really hard for me to read this book! I must addmit I try to avoid this kind of books. They just make me sad. But at the Book club it was a must read so I did. And I am not dissapointed!! It is a great book. And I have cried a lot reading it through.
Iina
Toinen maailmansota -teemasyksyni jatkuu (vierailu Auschwitzissa syyslomalla herätti tällaisen tarpeen). Polttouhrit on kertakaikkisen hieno teos. Siinä havainnollistuu kaunokirjallisuuden voima tehdä ymmärrettäväksi asioita, jotka ovat meille täysin vieraita, kuten nyt vaikkapa se, mitä ihmettä natsien päissä on voinut liikkua. Teoksen rakenne toimii: näkökulma vaihtelee luvuittain juurikin erään SS-upseerin ja toisaalta juutalaisperheen pojan välillä. Green on upottanut romaaniinsa kiitettävän ...more
Belinda Missen
Despite the subject matter, this is one of my favourite books of all time.
Alison
My favorite book of all time!
Vanessa Kay Concon
I first read this book way back when I was in college. I heard the story a hundred of times but it wasn’t that appealing so I never searched the book in our school library or online. But one time, while I was in our school audio visual room, I accidentally found this book. My intention really is to return the book to the owner, but there’s no name printed on it, I know I could just surrender it to the lost and found office but I don’t have any idea why I kept it. Well, enough of this boring flas ...more
The non-fiction book I read about WWII is an older book called Holocaust by Gerald Greene. It tells two stories, one from the perspective of a SS soldier and later officer who is at Heydrich's right side, listening, reporting, and ordering things that concern the annihilation of Jews; and the other of a Jewish man who becomes a partisan, falls in love, and loses everyone and everything he cares about at the hands of the Nazis. Both of these men and their stories are described and told in vivid ...more
Breanna Thompson
"In the three years between 1935 and 1938, the slow strangling of Jewish life had continued." Gerald Green's "Holocaust" recounts both the devastating impact and immense oppression that the Holocaust had caused. This novel contains excerpts from the diaries of two families who were directly affected by the holocaust. Although, stark, gritty and devastating, this novel is a must-read. It leaves a lasting impact on the reader, and enables us to realize that we should be grateful that we had not ha ...more
Walter Villalobos
La familia integral

Vertientes distintas que nos conducen a dos únicos finales; la vida y la muerte. Se llego a un punto donde algunos vieron el error que cometieron y rectificaron, otros no lo lograron a tiempo y finalmente, otros mas simplemente sucumbieron.

La historia toca la fibra sensible, sin duda un gran libro, no solo en el aspecto técnico de su narración sino su crudeza en la descripción de las distintas situaciones que iban sucediendo. A pesar ser un libro bastante extenso; la lectura
Carla
I can’t say much about this book that hasn’t already been said in the 35 years since it was published. Essentially, it’s historical fiction of the most frightening sort: horrifying memoirs of The Holocaust and the events leading up to it from two points of view (a teenaged Jewish boy living in Berlin at the start of the war, and a young SS officer.)

Yes, most of us “know this story,” but it really can’t be told too often, as we must never forget it. I will say that, as a person who has actually
Gemma Shucksmith
I stumbled across this in a 2nd hand bookshop and I was so happy too. The 1st time I read the book I couldn't put it down. Then I discovered the book had be turned into a TV series in the late seventies. Luckily it was on youtube and I ended up watching it over 2 days. I've now read this book (currently on my 6th time) 5 times and it still gets me emotional. Fantastic, there are really no words huge enough to use to illustrate how good this book is.
Shardallinee

Gerald Green's novel Holocaust was my Mom's choice for our monthly book club reading.

It is a story of two German families, the Dorfs and Weiss, whose lives intersect at certain points during the tragedy that was the WWII. Dorfs are thriving under the new Nazi regime, yet jewish Weiss family is doomed from the start. It is a story everyone should read, it speeks of inner strength of men, women and children while being dehumanized. It speaks of war and all its sides and tragedies.
We should learn f
Jenni
Jul 28, 2014 Jenni marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rekisteröin kirjan BookCrossing.com-sivustolla!
Mary Frances
Reissued as a Kindle book by Rosetta books, this is a book I never read, though I did see the miniseries many years ago. It's a good book with characters who are largely indistinguishable, but the focus of the book is on 2 young men, one who joins the SS and is eventually lost to decency, and one who becomes a partisan and eventually finds the Promised Land. There's a bit of the Forrest Gump thing about the book- since it is told from the perspective of 2 families they keep popping up in Baba Ya ...more
Dale (Aus)
This was a good way of lering about a world gone mad and I read it after the tv series was aired.
franciszka
documentary poetry at its finest
Jeanette B
Fantastic book about a soldier in the German army and a jewish family. Amazing how he captured the minds of the german soldier and the jewish family. He explained how these german soldiers convinced themselves that what they were doing was right and for the greater good.
Shari
This book tells of the holocaust from two perspectives, both German, one a jew, the other a soldier. The descriptions of the horrors are every bit as distubing as I expected them to be, more so. A numbness has overcome me as I continue to trudge through in finishing this book...
Adam Shallcross
A harrowing subject and an emotional roller coaster, but a book that everyone should read!

It makes you ask yourself a lot of questions about the human mind and how it can be changed in so many people at the same time, to lead a whole country into such an extreme situation.
Sharon
Read this book over 25 years ago, my Hardback edition was from a book club with same illustrated cover but with a red surround. I remember watching the television series as well. From my recollections it was both a great book and a great series about an horrific subject.
Claire
I found this on my parents' bookshelves during middle school, when my class was reading Anne Frank's diary. Despite being a work of fiction, this book opened my twelve year-old eyes, and brought my understanding of what happened in WWII Europe to whole new level.
Luis Diego Camacho Mora
Uno sobre los crimenes nazis lee mucho pero en libros de historia... no en novelas, como es el caso de este libro.. que lo inserta a uno en la vida de una familia judía y lo hacer conocer de forma más cercana el día a día de esas épocas.
Domminrose
I loved this book. It is fiction, but it gives a real feel to what it was like in Nazi Germany. I loved it and it gave me a lot of insight into the fear of the holocaust and how even good people can be corrupted by power.
Becca
The juxtaposition of the true account of a Holocaust survivor with the diary entries of a nazi officer who had a hand in killing the vast majority of his family is striking, emotionally exhausting and highly recommended.
Mia
Lástima que sea la adaptación de la serie de televisión basada en la historia de la familia Weiss, pero es igualmente desgarrador desde la primera a la última página.
Lenka Řízek
Everybody should read it. Story about people who for certain period of their lives believed to be gods. Terifying and eye-opening story from both sides of the Holocaust.
Marielle
Eerder 4.5 sterren. Zeer goed boek, de film is ook fantastisch! Vind het interessant
dat het wisselt tussen de perspectieven van een jood en een duitser.
  • The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust
  • Treblinka
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival
  • Witness: Voices from the Holocaust
  • Hiding in the Spotlight: A Musical Prodigy's Story of Survival, 1941-1946
  • My Brother's Voice: How a Young Hungarian Boy Survived the Holocaust: A True Story
  • The Liberators: America's Witnesses to the Holocaust
  • Death Dealer: The Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz
  • The Destruction of the European Jews
  • Shoah: The Complete Text Of The Acclaimed Holocaust Film
  • Nazi Germany and the Jews: The Years of Extermination, 1939-1945
Green attended Columbia College, where he edited the Jester, starred in several Varsity Shows, and was a member of the Philolexian Society. He graduated from the college in 1942 and, after serving in the US Army in Europe during the Second World War, where he was also the editor of the army's Stars and Stripes newspaper, he returned to New York to attend the Columbia Journalism School.

Green wrote
More about Gerald Green...
The Last Angry Man To Brooklyn With Love The Healers East and West The Chains