Start by marking “Far Flung and Well Fed: The Food Writing of R.W. Apple, Jr.” as Want to Read:
Far Flung and Well Fed: The Food Writing of R.W. Apple, Jr.

Far Flung and Well Fed: The Food Writing of R.W. Apple, Jr.

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Celebrated journalist R. W. ("Johnny") Apple was a veteran political reporter, a New York Times bureau chief and an incisive and prolific writer. But the role he was most passionate about was food anthropologist. Known both for his restless wideopen mind and an appetite to match, Apple was also a culinary scholar: witty, wide-ranging and intensely knowledgeable about his s ...more
Published December 7th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Far Flung and Well Fed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far Flung and Well Fed

Sue
Johnny Apple’s essays have to be the ultimate chairside or bedside reading for foodies. No one should sit down and plow through this whole book. The essays should be savored one at a time, and I love having a nice read with a glass of wine when the day is winding down.

It helps that Apple is a fabulous wordsmith. Also that he has a discerning palate. Some of the essays are about expensive restaurants, others about down home foods like cheesesteak and bratwurst. But my favorites are the ones which
Christa
“Sunshine in a can, sanity in a can, salvation in a can”, Apple describes the magical moment when first eating a San Marzano tomato.

Johnny viewed food as an insight to the people, culture and its history. Apple’s passion to discover the origin of his meal’s main ingredient led him to eagerly investigate the history for items such as: marmalade, walleye, morels, rye bread, Armagnac, and Dover sole.

“Far Flung and Well Fed” is fittingly titled as Johnny’s food excursions covered the United States,
Jo
I wish I could put down books I don't like without finishing them. Never could...always waiting for the page when it gets better, then good.

Well-marketed to the point it was hard to find, this is a collection of the food articles written by R.W. Apple, the well respected Times food writer. Maybe they are better read one at a time, once a week. But altogether, a frustrating read. Each starts with a short intro - and then reads like a menu...and then we ate this and this and this and saw this and
Scott
As much as anything, my schedule can affect my enthusiasm for a book. This book was probably a casualty of my schedule. I've been busy at work, and I have been tired when I get home. Therefore, I only read for a few minutes before falling asleep. Anyway, this book gave mucho info regarding restaurants in certain area, and he talked about the good food they had. Unfortunately for me, I don't live in or often travel to those places. So, this book fell flat for me. It was informative about these re ...more
Alwa
1. No Africa? C'mon, son.

2. I liked the essays with a little information; how do softshell crabs get that way? How do you raise bluefin, make marmalade, find morels, etc. The endless Italian and French "this is from this town, this is from this town, sorry you'll never experience it without an expense account like mine," etc. got boring though.
Jenny
I don't even know how to rate it, because I read so little of it. Super skimmed doesn't even apply. I did read the first two essays and they weren't bad at all. But I wasn't seduced, I've got lots of books to read, my attention wandered, and that's that.

Good to know about him, that he existed, and his legacy.
Rachel Rogers
Just the right tone for both travel writing and food writing. He's enthusiastic about everything, but still honest, never cutting. I'll definitely have to track down the other 2 books of compilations of his essays. Not all of the essays really interested me but each was well-written, interesting, and optimistic in tone.
Tamsyn
I really enjoyed these pieces on food and places all around the world. Some are eating tours of a place, others focus on the history and current state of particular foods/drinks, such as buffalo milk mozzarella, whiskey, or pho. He's an excellent writer, an enthusiastic eater, and a lover of people, history, and travel.
Marjorie Elwood
I found this really dragged. It seemed more a list of restaurants than an interesting description of food, and could definitely have used more recipes. I'm accustomed to more entertaining food writing and this wasn't, particularly.
Signe
Jul 07, 2011 Signe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-for-fun
I heard about this book on NPR. The author's wife is a gem. It has been a fun read so far. I put it on my kindle for my phone so I could read it while I am waiting for kids. It never ceases to wet my appetite.
Susan Zinner
Light, enjoyable and easy to read; combines two of my favorite things: food and travel. I was gratified that the bouchon we eat at on a trip to Lyon, France last week was listed as a place to visit! Easy reading...
Julie Ellis
Reader beware: this book will make you want to travel and eat! I just love a book that opens with harvesting soft shell crabs in the Rappahannock River in Virginia!
Melissa
Had to return to the library- only got 1/4 way through, but loved the descriptions of his food travels. Will have to check out again.
Alyce
Extremely disappointing. Perhaps it's better to retain a fond memory of his Times articles...
Jade Walker
A thoroughly enjoyable collection of stories about food, by a man who was a true foodie.
Lynn
terrific...what a sophisticated writer, lover of food, and traveller......
Frank O'Mahony
Loved it! Not a good book if you're on a diet.
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Katherine Precht
Katherine Precht marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Jane Hong
Jane Hong marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Amelia
Amelia is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
  • Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table: A Collection of Essays from the New York Times
  • Hometown Appetites: The Story of Clementine Paddleford, the Forgotten Food Writer Who Chronicled How America Ate
  • A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family
  • When French Women Cook: A Gastronomic Memoir
  • Eat the City: A Tale of the Fishers, Foragers, Butchers, Farmers, Poultry Minders, Sugar Refiners, Cane Cutters, Beekeepers, Winemakers, and Brewers Who Built New York
  • Man with a Pan
  • The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand
  • The Man Who Ate the World: In Search of the Perfect Dinner
  • Appetite City: A Culinary History of New York
  • The Kitchn Cookbook: Recipes, Kitchens & Tips to Inspire Your Cooking
  • Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
  • Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking
  • The Physiology of Taste: Or, Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy (Harvest/Hbj Book)
  • Empires of Food: Feast, Famine, and the Rise and Fall of Civilization
  • Alice, Let's Eat: Further Adventures of a Happy Eater
  • Choice Cuts: A Savory Selection of Food Writing from Around the World and Throughout History
Apple's America: The Discriminating Traveler's Guide To 40 Great Cities In The United States And Canada Apple's Europe, an Uncommon Guide