Start by marking “Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #2)

Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,774 ratings  ·  382 reviews
Under Wildwood is the second book in the New York Times bestselling adventure series the Wildwood Chronicles from Colin Meloy, lead singer of the Decemberists, and Carson Ellis, the acclaimed illustrator of The Mysterious Benedict Society.

Ever since Prue McKeel returned home from the Impassable Wilderness after rescuing her brother from the malevolent Dowager Governess, li
Published September 25th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

Wonder by R.J. PalacioThe One and Only Ivan by Katherine ApplegateThe False Prince by Jennifer A. NielsenHigh in School by Salman AdityaThe Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
Middle Grade Novels of 2012
57th out of 336 books — 620 voters
Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
97th out of 144 books — 843 voters

More lists with this book...

THANK GOODNESS IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why I kept reading. I normally take pride in giving up on a book I'm not enjoying. I am in charge of my reading life! I don't let guilt propel me! There are too many great books I'll never read to waste time on those I don't like.

Why did I keep on reading this one even though I was not enjoying it?
1. I enjoyed the first one. I assume it's going to be a trilogy and I like reading trilogies. 3 is the magic number!
2. I like the look and feel of the b
candace jean
The overall feeling/aura/context of Under Wildwood matches it's cover: dark.

Dark places, dark emotion, and very dark verbiage. Meloy definitely took this story to depths not seen in the first book, and he approached bloodshed with zero fluff.

Somehow the entire 559 pages are spent merely aligning things for the third book, though a hearty amount of new characters are introduced and new places explored.

Unfortunately I was turned off almost immediately by WAY too many "hold ups" in the book.. mean
Sandy
Ugh. to be fair, I didn't finish the book. I couldn't make myself. The writing is just so overwrought. I got to one short section where a thicket of scotch broom was described as "rackety fauna" (shouldn't plants be flora?), a feathery texture was described as a goose-down pillow "giving up its dander" (dander is sloughed SKIN, has nothing to do with feathers), and douglas firs were described as "leafy". Seriously? Sorry, the story might be wonderful, but I could NOT get past the writing to enjo ...more
Sam
2.5

It's weird to be saying this, but I did not enjoy Under Wildwood as much as I did the first book. It just didn't capture me the same way, and while I didn't mind that this book was a little darker, it was lacking a spark that kept me wanting to read it every day. I did finish it, and while the prose is lovely and Prue was still a great protagonist, everything in terms of the story fell flat and didn't keep me engaged. Also, why did the moles speak in caps lock? That got really irritating afte
Ingrid
My goodness Colin Meloy turned this series around! At the end of the last one, I was pleased. It seemed like a good, happy way to wrap things up (ignoring the fact that Curtis never went home. I didn't agree with that.) However, in this second book, he takes the book to a much darker level. People die. Hands are cut off. Both of these things I tend to appreciate in books. (Queen of Attolia. Best plot twist ever.)

Anyway, despite (or perhaps because of) the darker feel to this book, I really enjoy
Madeline Knight-Dixon
This book is just as magical and intriguing as the first one. It continues the story of the world right on the edge of our world, but this time shows the grittier side of both. Children being used for free labor, assassins of some fanatic religious group, overcoming tyrannical leaders, abandoning your family to live the life you want and the consequences that come with that. I mean I can’t think of a young adult book that does ALL this at once besides this one.

My favorite part is still the illus
Audra
I should have reread my review of the first one before buying the second. Geesh.

Once I started reading, I remembered a vague sense of not loving the series, but couldn't remember why. So, I kept reading. After about 300 pages, the "why" became clear.

In Middle Earth, Frodo undertakes an overwhelming odyssey, to save Middle Earth from a great evil: total domination and destruction by Sauron.
In Narnia, the four children, never before trained in battle, arm and prepare to fight a great evil: the Whi
Hollowspine
3.5

The sequel to Wildwood takes place only a few months after the action of the first story. For Prue and Curtis however, it seems a lot longer. The story at first rotates between the two characters, Prue back in Portland living a dull life and daydreaming about her time in the IW. Curtis, on the other hand, has formed a new family among the Wildwood bandits.

Although I really enjoyed listening to Meloy's narration, I didn't enjoy Under Wildwood as much as the first book. It felt rushed at points
Brenda
Mac is home. Everything should be right for the McReel's, but it's not. Prue faces a daily longing and emptiness and there is no one to share it with. Curtis is back in The Wood training with the Bandits, but Prue's story in Portland continues on in dullness that gnaws at her. It seems as though the wood is calling her. Sometimes it seems to be sending for her and other times it seems threatening and menacing. Somethings is unsettled, unclear, on the brink of change, but what?

Meanwhile in the Me
Megan
Under Wildwood is the second recently released book in the Wildwood Chronicles a slated trilogy. I enjoyed the first book immensely, likening it to a contemporary Chronicles of Narnia but set in my own backyard of Portland, OR. It has a wonderful dark side I find so alluring in young adult literature, similar to Neal Gaiman. I wish I had reread the first book so it would have been a little fresher in my mind, it would have helped me jump into this book quicker. We again follow Prue on an adventu ...more
Juushika
Since the events in Wildwood, Prue has returned to the unfulfilling monotony of the Outside while Curtis trains with bandits in the Wood. But their lives are disrupted again, this time by an assassination attempt which sends them on a long quest to resurrect a ruler and save the Wood. Under Wildwood continues the stylistic traditions of its predecessor, but this is a darker book. Rambling and whimsical, lengthy but so diverse--exploring new areas of the map and introducing a number of new charac ...more
Hannah
I downloaded this in audiobook format from my library's website late one night, in the throes of severe insomnia and desperate for something to lull me to sleep.

Surely it can't be as bad as the first one, I thought to myself, and BOY WAS I WRONG.

Please stop, Colin Meloy. Your music is amazing and your glasses are totally happening, but your books are just so boring. So. Boring. If this had been written by a nobody, I highly doubt any publisher would have given it a second thought. It's like any
Erin F
Overall a good book, but defiantly not as good as Wildwood. Wildwood just caught my attention and made me actually feel like I was joining Prue and Curtis. Under Wildwood just didn't captivate me as much and I got a little confused and bored between all the switching parts. I still loved it though! Really love septimus the rat hahah. If you enjoy fantasy and The chronicles of NARNIAAAAAA, this is the book to read!
Lisa Ard
Prue and Curtis are back, with another knock out adventure inside and outside Wildwood, the not so mythical forest on Portland’s edge. This book finds Curtis enmeshed in the bandit life while Prue makes a go of life with her family in outside world (St. John’s neighborhood). But, evil is afoot. When a shape shifter impersonates a schoolteacher, Prue is in danger. Rescued and flown back to Wildwood, Prue finds a calling from the North Wood she cannot refuse. Enlisting Curtis’s help, the half-bree ...more
Joe Vajgrt
I know it's a kid's book... But it's a FANTASTIC kid's book. I wish I had this series to read when I was growing up. Meloy's story telling is at times laugh-out-loud funny and is constantly engaging. Ellis' illustrations create a rich tapestry that enhances the story telling through a unique an consistent visual style.

It's hard to put this book down, and it's easy to tear through it in just a few sittings. This is a fantastic book to get your kids to read, or to read to them. The 2nd book in th
Anna
ik houd van dit boek. de wereld. het verhaal. de schrijfstijl. misschien een beetje pretentieus, maar hé, dat mag ook. meteen het derde en volgens mij laatste deel bestelt. ben enorm benieuwd!
Paul
2nd book in the series, better than the 1st. Hr's improved as a writer. It's funny reading his references to Portland, and his whole concept of the "Impassable Wilderness" is amazing.At first I thought this was a kid's series, but the number of people that get killed kind of dispells that idea.
Zoey Tevault
Loved the band. Loved the art. Loved the book.

I picked up Wildwood because of the cover art. Don't hate me. I really love a book with good art, but Wildwood was a lot more than a pretty decoration. A story about a lost brother and a magical forest. BAM! I was hooked after ten minutes. Maybe I really liked the art; maybe I was encaptured by the writing; but mostly I was interested in the characters. Prue was quite similar to me in the fact that I was the same age as her when I read Wildwood. Bot
Joel Wentz
Under Wildwood falls prey to some of the tropes that plague middle installments of trilogies: it gets much darker, there isn't really a satisfying conclusion at the end, and there is a noticeable increase of angst between the main characters. This all being said, I am still in love with the world Meloy has built. The introduction of Elsie and Rachel, and their unfolding subplot, was actually more interesting than the main line following Curtis and Prue. Additionally, Meloy is teasing out the ver ...more
Constance
Jenny
I enjoyed the author's style very much but I didn't like the content of the story as much as the first book.

It didn't feel like a complete story, and in the end, left me a bit unsatisfied. This book just seems like a bridge between the first and third books. The violence was also off-putting for me, especially at the end.

The thing that really saved this book was the moles. I hope we'll see them again in the next installment of the Wildwood Chronicles!
Lila
Under Wildwood is set in the same alternate US as WIldwood. Prue is back from the Impassable Wilderness and with her parents again, but feels incomplete. Curtis remained in the wood to undergo bandit training while his family searches for him. Rachel and Elsie, Curtis's sisters, are dropped off at a mysterious orphanage, the owner of whom puts the children to work in his factory.

Let me begin by saying that if you are looking for a book that keeps you on the edge of your seat, this is not it. Th
Judithbledsoe
Unless you were a huge fan of Meloy's original book Wildwood, I would pass on this one. It is one of those books that doesn't have any resolution at the end because it's part of a series. Instead of being excited for the next book in the "Chronicles of Wildwood" it just kind of pissed me off. I like the characters but it felt like a waste of time. Sorry, Colin Meloy. Love your work with the Decemeberists.
Jacque
The first book was good, kind of a slow read, but good enough that I read the second one. I was very glad I did. This book was suspenseful and I was unable to put it down. I finished it during the week and didn't have time for a trip to the library. I spent three days worrying about the children. Silly I know, but it does mean I was invested in the characters. To me that is what makes a good book.
Joanie Bowen
This book is all about the continued adventures of Prue and Curtis and the Impassable Wilderness which is a magical place that very few can enter. I am still a bit confused about the end goal of reviving the mechanical boy prince named Alexei but I'm sure all will be revealed when I read the next book. I liked book Two and look forward to the next one in the series. Well done Colin and Carson!
meghan
Slower than the first book in the series, but no less compelling. Our girl hero, Prue, continues on her adventures in Wildwood to right all the wrongs she can't seem to manage in her everyday back home in Portland. This second book in the three-book series introduces a whole new set of characters and a new plot twist for the main character. New aspects of the Impassable Wilderness are revealed to Prue. She is called to duty by the very trees in the woods. In her effort to bring peace and justice ...more
Jeremy
While Under Wildwood is a nice expansion of the world Meloy introduced us to in the first Wildwood novel, it is pretty unevenly paced and does not work as a self-contained story as the first book did. That is largely by design--it is quite obviously setting up the third book in the series--but it makes it less satisfying of a read.
Ben Aggretti
Bivisyani Questibrilia
Truth be told, this book isn't as good as the first one. But it sure did answer a lot of questions. It obviously still has the significant touches that the authors had in the first volume but with a lot more intricate detail as well as whimsical values that the prequel doesn't have. It is the start of the thread that connects both the Woods and the Outside. Most fantasy novels don't connect one world with the other and deem one is non-existent when the other one does. I have to say that the mole ...more
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure
  • The Whatnot (The Peculiar, #2)
  • A Hero For WondLa (WondLa, #2)
  • The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3)
  • The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #3)
  • Goblin Secrets (Zombay, #1)
  • The Mousehunter (Mousehunter Trilogy, #1)
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls
  • Iron Hearted Violet
  • Summer and Bird
  • The Apothecary (The Apothecary, #1)
  • Gustav Gloom and the People Taker (Gustav Gloom, #1)
  • Here Where the Sunbeams Are Green
  • Unlucky Charms
  • Only a Witch Can Fly
  • That's What Leprechauns Do
  • The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
Colin Patrick Henry Meloy (born October 5, 1974) is the lead singer and songwriter for the Portland, Oregon folk-rock band The Decemberists. In addition to his vocal duties, he plays acoustic guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bouzouki, and percussion. As of 2005, Meloy has written a 100-page book on The Replacements' fourth album, Let It Be, released as part of the 33 series.

Melo
More about Colin Meloy...

Wildwood Chronicles (3 books)
  • Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #1)
  • Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)
Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #1) Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3) Let it Be Wildwood Chronicles Complete Collection: Wildwood, Under Wildwood, Wildwood Imperium The Grievous Demise of Mr. Whitley Rackham

“Sometimes, when the world is falling apart around you, all that's left to do is dance, right?” 2 likes
“As Desdemona continued on about the administrative details of the business, her eyelids lazing at half-mast all the while, Elsie’s attention was drawn to the decorations on the office’s walls. She had always assumed that dust could only collect on a horizontal surface, but the Unthank Home’s drab green walls proved otherwise—a thin sheen of gray dust seemed to nearly act as a second coat of paint.” 0 likes