Start by marking “Sarah's Gift” as Want to Read:
Sarah's Gift

Sarah's Gift (Pleasant Valley #4)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  385 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Can an Amish midwife earn her community's trust and bring the joy of new babies to Pleasant Valley?

Amish midwife Sarah Mast moves to Pleasant Valley for a fresh start. But her aging aunt can no longer run the birthing center, leaving most of the responsibility to Sarah. Among those skeptical of Sarah's ability is neighbor Aaron Miller, who seems drawn to Sarah but pulls
Published March 1st 2011 by Berkley Books (first published January 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sarah's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah's Gift

Cynthia
May 17, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this series immensely. It is the same issue as with historical romances - I don't generally read romances, I disdain those books where within the first chapter you know who the love interest will be etc. but throw in some 'ain't so' and 'boppli', put the protagonists in those buggies and I am all about it. It is also nice to read books where people are truly looking to God for help and trying to do what would please Him.
Mary
Mar 23, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one from Marta Perry!!! I have read all the books in this series and suspect I will read all in series until she ends it. This was a pretty interesting book but it did take me longer to read than usual. I really understood aunt Emma's feelings of uselessness. I became Ill and couldnt do what I was used to doing as well and it takes quite some time to understand that although you cant do what you used to do, you can still be productive in other ways. Emma found this out and so did I. ...more
Juliet
Jul 06, 2014 Juliet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For my age and my little knowledge of the Amish I've never been one to read an Amish book, but when my grandmother gave me the book, because she knew how much I love to read; I decided to try it.

I am so glad I did!

Amish have always fascinated me, but when I read about them; It was hard to grasp what they were saying or what was going on, but Marta Perry is such an excellent author! I understood everything and had the same freak outs that I would with a teenage fiction book.

I really wish I wou
Dawn Leonard
Jun 13, 2014 Dawn Leonard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
his is the fourth book in Marta Perry's Pleasant Valley series about Sarah, a midwife. She comes to Pleasant Valley to help her Aunt Emma in her midwife practice. Little mystery to this book but a good story that was believable. Although this is part of the Pleasant Valley series, you can read one without reading the others. It was great to see the previous books' characters in this as well and to see what has happened in their lives since their story or the previous book. To understand all of t ...more
Tricia
Feb 23, 2012 Tricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are very predictable but I enjoy them. I like getting to know each character and I find Amish communities fascinating.
Book Binge
Jul 29, 2011 Book Binge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
This is the fourth novel in the Pleasant Valley series and it is another fine offering by author Marta Perry. Drawing on her own first-hand knowledge of the Amish culture and ways, the story of Sarah is told with grace and sensitivity. The gentle persona that Sarah is comes through as the reader walks with her as she hopes and prays and even invests her savings to make the midwife practice successful and to give quality care to the expectant mothers who opt for care by the midwife rather than go ...more
Larisha
This is the fourth book in Marta Perry's Pleasant Valley series about Sarah, a midwife. She comes to Pleasant Valley to help her Aunt Emma in her midwife practice.

There was little mystery to this book, but a good story that was believable. Although this is part of the Pleasant Valley series, you can read one without reading the others. It was great to see the previous books' characters in this as well and to see what has happened in their lives since their story or the previous book.

Judith
Mar 05, 2011 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful and insightful glimpse into the life of an Amish Community where a very young widow comes to live in order to expand her aunt's midwife ministry to their women. The aunt has a series of small strokes so Sarah is effectively left to handle the births, pre-natal care, etc. for the expectant mothers. There is opposition from the "English" doctor who doesn't believe in midwives and a court order forces Sarah to cease delivering babies until a hearing is held. There is also opposition fr ...more
Colette
Mar 23, 2014 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Sarah Mast comes to pleasant valley to assist her aunt Emma in her midwife practice. Things do not go as planned and Sarah feels she may have made a mistake. Some of the people in the community are very opposed to the use of a mid-wife to assist in child birth including the community's doctor who eventually brings a law suit against her.
Rena Glubay
Aug 25, 2014 Rena Glubay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story featuring the mid-wives among the Amish and some if the issues they had to cope with from the English.
Denise Beadle
I like the Amish stories that offer insight without preaching. Enjoying the works of Marta Perry.
Carolyn E
Nov 06, 2011 Carolyn E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Like all of the other books in the Pleasant Valley series, Sarah's Gift by Marta Perry is a wonderful story. This is book #4 in the series. I have just received the 5th book, Katie's Way, which I plan to read next.
Ann Torrey
Aug 25, 2014 Ann Torrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome, very hard to put down
Tracy
Oct 10, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
In the slower, drawn out words each character speaks it is only natural to adapt your reading of this book to that stead melodic tone.
I enjoyed this story as it had simple characters finding pleasure in easy, life affirming, family based living. It was even frustrating to have such close minded 'worldly' doctors harboring grudges on what woman are born to do naturally (baby birthing) for the sake of their own masculine ego. *shakes feminist fist*
Tina Watson
Mar 26, 2011 Tina Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
3/23/11-? I'm not finished with the book yet, but I can tell you you did a GREAT Job with writing a great book from your research information you gathered.

Just finished (3/26/11) I was right Marta and her research team did an excellant job researching the information for the book and Marta did a fabulous job putting it into the book.

Cant wait for the next book to come out.
Heatherhh
May 27, 2013 Heatherhh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-and-up
One of my favorite Amish fiction books ever. It joins a few elite that I really truly love without any criticisms. The author's book Leah's Choice is another one of those few. It had one scene in the book that was so engaging that I slipped back to reread it several times because I had loved it so much, which is a rare thing for me to do.
April Suter
Jun 09, 2011 April Suter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah moves in with her aunt to help her as a midwife. Sarah moved for a new begining since her husband is gone and she wants to get away from all the 'Poor Sarah' comments. Well written, easy to read, and this visit to Pleasant Valley is a good one. Find out what Sarah finds in her new community.
329 pages
Rachel
Feb 02, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a well-written Amish novel. The characters are well-developed, and I enjoyed the storyline.
Kendra Neal
Jul 23, 2011 Kendra Neal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! Excellent book! I finished it in just under 24hrs, it was one of those "can't put it down books". I am looking forward to Book 5 in the Pleasant Valley series that is due out in November! I just got familiar with Marta Perry and I really enjoy her books!
Kristine
Oct 22, 2015 Kristine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A decent story bogged down by over-writing.
Joan Lovemore-hope
I am reading all books in the series, one after the other but I am finding that the characters and their connections are starting to be a bit hazy. A family tree or similar diagram showing connections would be a valuable addition to the book.
Marie
Jun 22, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I think I'm ready to move to Pennsylvania. I liked the strong women figures, the focus on family, the treatment of the emotional ups and downs of attraction - a satisfying read - hard to put down.
Marg
May 05, 2011 Marg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: amish story readers
Shelves: amish
Excellent story, wonderful characters, great story line. It was grreat to also see how the rest of main characters in the prevoius books of this series are doing.
Karen
Aug 16, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4th book in the Pleasant Valley series, I think I have read all of them now, and they are very well written.
Kristen
Feb 22, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, own
I absolutely love Marta Perry's writing. It makes you feel like you really know the characters in her book.
Rebecca
Jan 21, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet book teaching you to be open and believe right will win. quick one day read
Sally
Interesting take on an Amish v Englisch situation and how it varies from state to state.
Glmomich
Apr 19, 2013 Glmomich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Marta Perry has written a great book! Loved it!
Uriana Zeta
Jan 31, 2013 Uriana Zeta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Amish stories
Good story. Quick reads for me.
Rachel New
Jan 19, 2012 Rachel New rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good Amish book
  • Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2)
  • A Marriage for Meghan (Wayne County, #2)
  • Faithful to Laura (Middlefield Family #2)
  • Spring's Renewal (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #2)
  • When Strawberries Bloom (Lizzie Searches for Love, #2)
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)
  • The Wonder of Your Love (Land of Canaan #2)
  • The Amish Bride (Women of Lancaster County #3)
81993
Marta Perry is a Pennsylvania-based author of over 35 novels, many of them inspirational romances. She uses her rural Pennsylvania life and her Pennsylvania Dutch heritage in writing her books, especially in her Pleasant Valley Amish series for Berkley Books and her new Amish-set suspense series for HQN Books.

Marta and her husband live in a centuries-old farmhouse in a quiet central Pennsylvania v
More about Marta Perry...

Pleasant Valley (7 books)
  • Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1)
  • Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2)
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • Katie's Way (Pleasant Valley, #5)
  • Hannah's Joy (Pleasant Valley, #6)
  • Naomi's Christmas (Pleasant Valley, #7)