Extreme Measures

Extreme Measures

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,371 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Dr. Eric Najarian. He's young, talented, and ambitious. He has all the qualities they're looking for at White Memorial Hospital. He doesn't know he's being watched. Judged. An elite clique of medical professionals thinks he has what it takes to join their secret club. All the young doctor has to do is agree to play by their rules.

But Eric has already seen too much. A missi...more
Published January 26th 2011 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1991)

Jean-marcel
A few spoilers herein.

How frustrating. There were times when I almost liked this book. The author tentatively dances about some serious and sensitive issues around medical ethics, but ultimately they're all rather meaningless, since the principal antagonist is never anyone we give a damn about (even though he seems likable enough in his two or three scenes on the page before his true villainy is revealed), and the author's decision to have him down on the level of drug pushers, mobsters and gun...more
Jerry
Another excellent, suspenseful page-turner !

Eric Najarian is a rising star at White Memorial Hospital. He and a colleague are vying for a big promotion, when suddenly Eric is approached to join a secret society ("Caduceus") as long as he is willing to perform an "unusual" treatment when asked. Pressures of the job and life in general weigh on Eric as he debates what to do. Soon, some missing bodies and other unexplained phenomenon at the hospital shake his trust in everything and send him on a...more
Steven Shroyer
I remember seeing the preview for the movie with Hugh Grant and Gene Hackman when I was a young boy and E! had shows that didn't feature drunk media whores. My vague memory of that preview on my fave show, Coming Attractions, doesn't really jibe with what I read and finished today.

Dr. Eric Najarian is a young man who is being considered for a top position at White Memorial Hospital. One day he receives a call from a person claiming to be from a secret society that tells him that they can guarant...more
Mike
Nearly twenty years since it was written (and first read) which means it has to compete with all the newer books read since then in the same genre,(I'd forgotten almost all of the story) but it still compares pretty well.
The ending did feel a touch contrived with a convenient death, and there was a sense of rush to clear up once the real action was finished, (that is often a tricky thing to do) but it was an enjoyable read which can't often be said for genre paperbacks past their sell-by date.
An...more
Lynn Pembroke
Always exciting, always keeps you guessing. Love his books.
Oridisi
This book was very entertaining, the characters were funny and man did they go through a lot it was like back to back horrible, weird things happened to them and that was what made the book interesting.
What got me angry the most was that the girl went through so much trying to find her sibling and it just went in vain. But it was still good and I'll definitely read it again. Michale Palmer is a genius.
Dawn
I can't believe I never thought to look back into some of Palmer's older titles. I feel like I've stumbled onto some old hidden gems. Good to have when none of the new releases aren't available at the library. This was another great medical thriller. Fast paced story line, and likeable characters. It's amazing how dated the 90s seem when reading books set in that time.
Acrylate
I like this story premise. The opening is great and have many potential. But, the middle and the ending not so much. To be honest, I don't really like the ending especially about Scott or (I forget the name) death. It just anti climax. Or maybe because I have high expectation because this is Mr Palmer books. Anyway, I love Mr. Palmer. Cannot wait to read his other books.
Joyce McKune
Laura went to Boston to find her brother who hadn't been in contact with her for a couple of months. She didn't know what he did for a living. She thought he was in computers, but he was actually a government agent, He'd been treated at a hospital there in Boston, and a doctor recognized his tattoo and tried to help her find out what had happened to him.
Gloria
May 08, 2008 Gloria rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller/Mystery Buffs
Shelves: mystery
Medical thriller involving illegal scientific breakthroughs, voodoo medicine, and federal agencies spying on drug rings.

Decent romance between a doctor and the sister looking for her missing brother (the Fed). Reader doesn't get overly attached to any character. The events arrive quickly, however, and keep you interested in the plot.
Deborah Hamilton
This was a fascinating read. What started out as an innocent search for a missing person, unearthed one of the deadliest secret societies in the Boston Medical community. A real page turner with never a dull moment! Lots of twists and turns, just when you think you have everything figured out...the entire plot changes.
Magda
I watched the movie and I really liked it so I decided to read the book. The book was great. The movie is different but still has the same concept. In the book there is suspense from the beginning. Once I began to read it it was difficult to stop. Even though I knew how it was going to end it was interesting.
Rob Dinsmoor
Extreme Measures is an excellent medical thriller by Michael Palmer, who puts hack Robin Cook completely to shame. This book starts with an absolutely ghastly, unnerving scene, and then goes headlong into a thrilling plot. Each of his books raises a question about medical ethics.
Angie
This book, though one of his first, follows traditional Michael Palmer style, but I still loved it. I only wish that I hadn't had exams to study for and could have read this through in a day or two as opposed to the weeks it took to finally finish.
Karleene Morrow
If a young doctor doesn't play by the rules, extreme measures might be taken. As usual, Michael Palmer is up to the task of keeping us turning the pages. Another one of his that I'm happy to recommend to readers who like medical mysteries.
Maurean
Well, this was a pretty average medical thriller; While I enjoyed the storyline, I found that I had dicerned who the bad guys were way to soon...Not the best I've read n this genre (or by this author), but I've definately read worse
Smitha
another medical thriller by Michael Palmer. The book began with great hopes, was interesting in the first three quarters, towards the end I lost interest - dont know why. Still I would recommend it to all medical thriller buffs.
Susan
To long and to much like the last murder mystery. Once again, doctors plotting to create the perfect drug and using human patients as test cases. Some romance, but too many characters by the end of the book and boring.
H3yd00
I'm not big on medical thrillers, but I did enjoy this one. The characters were realistic, and the plot was good. Some parts were typical, but there's only so much that you can do with this genre. I'd recommend.
Mya
Bit of a disjointed start. Your typical investigative/medical/action thriller. Good for long plane trips and lazy days on the beach. Not really much to write home about. Easy read. Bit of 'action fluff'.
Alison
This was a fun medical-based thriller. I really liked the main character who was an ER doctor. The ending was a little dumb- how it all tied together was kind of far-fetched, but it was still a fun read.
Megan
I enjoyed the book and then the movie came out. I recommend reading the book and NOT watching the movie. Too many things are changed/left out of the movie. The book truly is better.
Rod
Suspense right from the start, however one must have the reaction - not another secret medical society plotting evil? Notwithstanding that - it was a good entertaining read.
Judi
It's light fiction and fun to read. I often wonder how authors come up with their plots. This book was one I finished pretty quickly. I enjoy Michael Palmer's novels.
Sharon
It's been a while, but this was one of the first books by Palmer that I read. His books are so consistently good that I always buy the new ones when I see them.
Rachel Snyder
I'm enjoying this book very much. This is my first Michael Palmer book and I will definitely read others. I recommend this book if you like medical thrillers/mysteries.
Carol
I like this author's medical mysteries. And hopefully this wouldn't really happen anywhere. Glad I'm not going into the hospital soon! I'd be spooked.
Barbra Craig
Caducew is a mysterious group poisoning people and slowing heart rates , so that they are pronounced dead. They have a definite motive.
Traceytrace
Dec 05, 2007 Traceytrace rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: medical thrillers
Book is much better than the movie that was made from it. Non-stop action and difficult to put down! My favorite book from this author.
  • Mindbend
  • Carriers
  • The Stone Forest
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He...more
More about Michael Palmer...
Silent Treatment The Last Surgeon Natural Causes Fatal The First Patient