Start by marking “Extreme Measures” as Want to Read:
Extreme Measures

Extreme Measures

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,858 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Dr. Eric Najarian. He's young, talented, and ambitious. He has all the qualities they're looking for at White Memorial Hospital. He doesn't know he's being watched. Judged. An elite clique of medical professionals thinks he has what it takes to join their secret club. All the young doctor has to do is agree to play by their rules.

But Eric has already seen too much. A missi
Published January 26th 2011 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Extreme Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extreme Measures

Jean-marcel
A few spoilers herein.

How frustrating. There were times when I almost liked this book. The author tentatively dances about some serious and sensitive issues around medical ethics, but ultimately they're all rather meaningless, since the principal antagonist is never anyone we give a damn about (even though he seems likable enough in his two or three scenes on the page before his true villainy is revealed), and the author's decision to have him down on the level of drug pushers, mobsters and gun
Jerry
Jul 22, 2010 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent, suspenseful page-turner !

Eric Najarian is a rising star at White Memorial Hospital. He and a colleague are vying for a big promotion, when suddenly Eric is approached to join a secret society ("Caduceus") as long as he is willing to perform an "unusual" treatment when asked. Pressures of the job and life in general weigh on Eric as he debates what to do. Soon, some missing bodies and other unexplained phenomenon at the hospital shake his trust in everything and send him on a
Steven Shroyer
Nov 25, 2012 Steven Shroyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember seeing the preview for the movie with Hugh Grant and Gene Hackman when I was a young boy and E! had shows that didn't feature drunk media whores. My vague memory of that preview on my fave show, Coming Attractions, doesn't really jibe with what I read and finished today.

Dr. Eric Najarian is a young man who is being considered for a top position at White Memorial Hospital. One day he receives a call from a person claiming to be from a secret society that tells him that they can guarant
Motunrayo
Feb 24, 2016 Motunrayo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medical crimes have always been my number one genre. Talking about the methodological descriptions, the suspense, the romance and the educative informations about medicine.

This story is about medicine, power and cabals, although it was boring at first with two many characters in the beginning, that are not related to the story and not linked to the story later on apart from the cause of death.

Silent Treatment is still the best of his books I ever read.

This is an interesting story for medical lo
Nathan Burgoine
I like Michael Palmer, I do, but I can cruise through one of his books in no time. They're easy, and the medical thriller is almost always thus: Doctor (or medial expert or somesuch) who has a semi-wobbly reputation sees too much and must risk their life to expose the medical mystery (which always involves murder to confuse medical research or some sort involving lots of money) - and, of course, success tends to come with a bit of a romance, too.

This one? The doctor is called Eric.
Cari Schaeffer
Sep 16, 2015 Cari Schaeffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. I had a hard time putting it down once I started reading. It's a fantastic thriller/mystery with one heck of a twist at the end. You'll NEVER guess who did it.

It's also a little scary because I can certainly see how this could happen - or already be happening in some secretive location. Gave me chills...
Sunshine✰✰✰
Oct 23, 2014 Sunshine✰✰✰ rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, medical
Dr. Eric Najarian has been approached by a group called Caduceus. They promised to get him the residency he is in the running for if he does one little thing for them first. Before that happens, he meets Laura who is looking for her missing brother. Together, they stumble upon and then pursue the actions of this secret group, which includes member high up in the hospital hierarchy.

There wasn't too much medical jargon in this book which made it flow nicely for the medically uneducated. I do think
Art Delaney
This story was OK. The opening and middle was fine. Felt the ending was way over the top. But, the book was interesting, good for as summer afternoon. This is not palmer's best work.

Jimmie H. Nehr
Jun 01, 2016 Jimmie H. Nehr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exhilarating Read

Suspenseful, very interesting read that's hard to put down. Lots of twists and turns. I will always enjoy this author's books.
Stacy
Apr 15, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've got to stop confusing Palmer with Cook. I wouldn't read another Cook book (no pun intended ) & Palmer really surprised me, he's this good. Must try more !
Michelle
Nov 11, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...that's all I can say...wow. I did not see this ending coming. What a fabulous book. It has just the right amount of scariness, intrigue and mystery. This might be my all time favorite Michael Palmer novel!
Mike
Nov 10, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly twenty years since it was written (and first read) which means it has to compete with all the newer books read since then in the same genre,(I'd forgotten almost all of the story) but it still compares pretty well.
The ending did feel a touch contrived with a convenient death, and there was a sense of rush to clear up once the real action was finished, (that is often a tricky thing to do) but it was an enjoyable read which can't often be said for genre paperbacks past their sell-by date.
An
Jana Richards
Jan 25, 2016 Jana Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Except for all the swearing at the beginning, I loved this book. I like his writing style and I loved the story line. This would have made a great movie.
Lettie Cox
Jan 21, 2016 Lettie Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like medical mysteries, this is a good one. Reminded me of Robin Cook's style . Very good.
Lynn Pembroke
May 05, 2014 Lynn Pembroke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always exciting, always keeps you guessing. Love his books.
Sebastian
Sep 24, 2014 Sebastian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Palmer book of the few I've read so far.
Chris
Feb 02, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Jenn
Jan 30, 2016 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, medical, mystery
Medical thriller...fun read.
Rupesh Goenka
Oct 06, 2014 Rupesh Goenka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the best & most amazing medical thriller with spellbinding suspense & chilling climax... Dynamic entertainer..!!!
Oridisi
May 16, 2011 Oridisi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very entertaining, the characters were funny and man did they go through a lot it was like back to back horrible, weird things happened to them and that was what made the book interesting.
What got me angry the most was that the girl went through so much trying to find her sibling and it just went in vain. But it was still good and I'll definitely read it again. Michale Palmer is a genius.
Dawn
Mar 25, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I never thought to look back into some of Palmer's older titles. I feel like I've stumbled onto some old hidden gems. Good to have when none of the new releases aren't available at the library. This was another great medical thriller. Fast paced story line, and likeable characters. It's amazing how dated the 90s seem when reading books set in that time.
Angela
Aug 23, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-to-read
I like this story premise. The opening is great and have many potential. But, the middle and the ending not so much. To be honest, I don't really like the ending especially about Scott or (I forget the name) death. It just anti climax. Or maybe because I have high expectation because this is Mr Palmer books. Anyway, I love Mr. Palmer. Cannot wait to read his other books.
Joyce McKune
Oct 27, 2013 Joyce McKune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laura went to Boston to find her brother who hadn't been in contact with her for a couple of months. She didn't know what he did for a living. She thought he was in computers, but he was actually a government agent, He'd been treated at a hospital there in Boston, and a doctor recognized his tattoo and tried to help her find out what had happened to him.
Gloria
May 08, 2008 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller/Mystery Buffs
Shelves: mystery
Medical thriller involving illegal scientific breakthroughs, voodoo medicine, and federal agencies spying on drug rings.

Decent romance between a doctor and the sister looking for her missing brother (the Fed). Reader doesn't get overly attached to any character. The events arrive quickly, however, and keep you interested in the plot.
Deborah Hamilton
May 15, 2008 Deborah Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating read. What started out as an innocent search for a missing person, unearthed one of the deadliest secret societies in the Boston Medical community. A real page turner with never a dull moment! Lots of twists and turns, just when you think you have everything figured out...the entire plot changes.
Magda
Jun 13, 2010 Magda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, own
I watched the movie and I really liked it so I decided to read the book. The book was great. The movie is different but still has the same concept. In the book there is suspense from the beginning. Once I began to read it it was difficult to stop. Even though I knew how it was going to end it was interesting.
Rob Dinsmoor
Jan 09, 2011 Rob Dinsmoor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extreme Measures is an excellent medical thriller by Michael Palmer, who puts hack Robin Cook completely to shame. This book starts with an absolutely ghastly, unnerving scene, and then goes headlong into a thrilling plot. Each of his books raises a question about medical ethics.
Angie
Feb 14, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, though one of his first, follows traditional Michael Palmer style, but I still loved it. I only wish that I hadn't had exams to study for and could have read this through in a day or two as opposed to the weeks it took to finally finish.
Karleene Morrow
Jul 18, 2012 Karleene Morrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If a young doctor doesn't play by the rules, extreme measures might be taken. As usual, Michael Palmer is up to the task of keeping us turning the pages. Another one of his that I'm happy to recommend to readers who like medical mysteries.
Teresa Widdowson
Interesting book. Not super engaging or believable (especially the quick love relationship) but will probably read another one by this author.
  • Harmful Intent
  • Lethal Practice (Dr. Earl Garnet, #1)
  • Carriers
  • Dust To Dust (Dr Steven Dunbar, #8)
  • The Stone Forest
  • Murder at the Mendel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #2)
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He
More about Michael Palmer...

“country highway. He sensed that he was” 0 likes