Start by marking “Finnish: An Essential Grammar” as Want to Read:
Finnish: An Essential Grammar

Finnish: An Essential Grammar

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Here is the ideal reference grammar for anyone studying Finnish. It provides a systematic account of the structures of the written language and also features the characteristics of colloquial Finnish as spoken in Helsinki and surrounding areas.
It assumes no prior knowledge of the language and clearly explains grammatical rules in a jargon-free manner.
Features include: * p
Published August 19th 1999 by Routledge (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Finnish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finnish

Ali Cia
A must! I used to carry with me a dictionary and this book. Finnish grammar made simple as possible, of course you will need other books as you progress but this one is clear enough for those who are just starting and feeling overwhelmed by the beautiful complexity of this language.
Christopher
Fred Karlsson originally wrote this Finnish grammar for Swedish speakers, but after it was translated into English and published by Routledge in 1999, it has become one of the most popular companions for beginners in Finnish.

Karlsson's book has all the grammar that students need to know for the first 18 months or so of Finnish studies (assuming you're going at the pace of University of Helsinki's Finnish for foreigners classes). It's not a textbook -- you'll need something like Terttu Leney's TE
Ursula Kallio
This book is exhaustive and written in plain language (minus the inescapable grammar terminology). I have referred to this book for 20+ years. It is a joy to go back to every single time.

Pay whatever it costs because the value far outweighs the price.
Constanze
It's not really a book to read from cover to cover, of course, but as a reference book it's both concise (in each article) and exhaustive (as a whole) -- at least as far as I can tell from having used it as a study aid for a couple of weeks now. It's already been invaluable in driving home just how difficult a language Finnish is to learn. (... challenge accepted.)
Willner9
Quintessential Finnish reference. Though guide to grammar including useful chapters on compound word formation and the spoken language, which is significantly different from the written language. A must-have reference.
Evander v
I wavered a lot over buying this book as it was fairly expensive, but I'm very glad I did, as it's a fantastic resource, in a lot of detail but easy to follow. I use various references for studying Finnish, but this is usually my first port of call (or second after Uusikielemme!) for grammar questions. Well worth the money!
Volsung
Out of a handful of texts, this is easily the most useful aid to the Finnish language that I've found.
Kailey Curless
A useful grammar reference book written in English for those learning the Finnish Language.
Zuzanna
Zuzanna marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Anil
Anil marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Myk123
Myk123 marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Alessandro Petta
Alessandro Petta marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Hector Estrada
Hector Estrada marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Defromerie
Defromerie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Linda
Linda added it
Feb 27, 2015
April Granzow
April Granzow is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Samuli Holopainen
Samuli Holopainen is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Iwyz
Iwyz marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Haruhi Suzumiya
Haruhi Suzumiya marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Yleinen kielitiede Suomen peruskielioppi Finsk grammatik Kielitieteellisen Analyysin Harjoituksia Johdatusta Yleiseen Kielitieteeseen