Start by marking “Deep Dish” as Want to Read:
Deep Dish

Deep Dish

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,670 Ratings  ·  758 Reviews
Deep Dish is one delicious read. Mary Kay Andrews has cooked up a tale y’all will savor to the last bite. ”
—Paula Deen

Battling TV chefs—a handsome Georgia redneck and a struggling young professional woman—find themselves competing for a coveted weekly time slot on national television in Mary Kay Andrews’s delightful New York Times bestseller Deep Dish. The incomparable Ma
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Dish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Dish

Bark's Book Nonsense
Regina is a 29 year old cooking show host who has worked her butt off to get where she is in life. She's having a lovely affair with her production manager and life is simply perfect. Blech. Fortunately (for me who is bored to tears at this point) it comes tumbling down when he decides to hop in bed with the wife of the show's main sponsor & they can the show. Not too bright of a guy. Now Gina, at the ripe old age of 29, has lost her guy and her show and fears she'll lose her home which she ...more
Lori
Apr 18, 2008 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Mary Kay Andrews but this book completely fell flat for me. I never once cared about the two main characters and it seemed like the book went on and on and the "boom" all of the sudden boy loves girl. Um....what??? When did that happen?
It's an ok read, not terrible, but absolutely not worth the $25 hardback price tag!
Kristin Groves
This book was a disappointment compared to other books that I have read by Mary Kay Andrews (Savannah Blues is my favorite). She is, by no means, an author of literature with a "big L", but her novels are generally less generic and predictable. However, it would still fulfill a desire for an easy, light-hearted read and you do get some cooking tips throughout the read and a couple of Ol' Southern Favorite recipies at the end. Maybe the Tomato Soup Cake recipe will improve my rating.
Paul Pessolano
Feb 04, 2011 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must start off with the fact that Mary Kay Andrews, aka Kathy Hogan Trochek, is one of my favorite authors. She writes about the South, and primarily southern Georgia. Her books are delightful reads that the reader can lose themselves in. They are easy reads that combine southern living and traditions, interspersed with some laughter, and maybe a little mystery.

"Deep Dish" tells the story of Gina Foxton who is the star of a cooking show, Fresh Start, in Atlanta. She discovers her show is being
Adam
May 24, 2011 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Post listen review: Not the best and not the worst of the lame romances that I have been forced to listen to. It's really hard to go through all the audiobooks in the library without getting a LOT of romance in there.

Here is the plot such as it is. Two chefs are in competition to become the next star of The Cooking Channel (because the name the Food Network was already taken). One is a woman who has just had her heart broken by her scumbag producer that cheated on her and lost her the sponsor o
Ani
Nov 04, 2009 Ani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

This is one of my favorite Mary Kay Andrews books. I feel like with this book she went back to her original format of the sassy, southern gal though involved in turmoil is surrounded by a vivid array of characters who will help her get out of her funk.

Plus it's all about food! Though I wish the main character who is a chef would have eaten a bit more often. I understood that since she works in the food business she probably gets tired of sampling all the time. Though I doubt I would be.

Funny an
Robialice
Fluffy fun chick lit. I take issue with the man and woman falling so quickly in "love", c'mon, can't he just say he's interested in her? Noooo...after a couple weeks of a completely antagonistic relationship, he's in love. C'mon, that's not real. It's so bad, it's not even good fiction!

The "Next Food Network Star" type plot device made for a fun backdrop, but feels hackneyed as all the characters view a cooking show contest as new and innovative. Maybe if it were 1998 not 2008 it would be.

A fun
Nadeen
Aug 01, 2014 Nadeen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-read
Let me start with a disclaimer: i don't mind a predictable plot if there are other elements that make a book more ...

Because I had fun listening to Savannah Blues, I put this one in my audio queue. After the first 10 minutes, I knew where it was headed and how it would end. It was a fun listen - a slight book,an audio book equivalent of a bathtub book, so I gave it two stars and held myself back from tossing it over the side of a row boat.. The plot- there was one- was supported by characters w
78sunny
Jan 27, 2016 78sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Das Cover hat mich gleich angesprochen. Es sah nach einem schönen Contemporary-Geschichte aus. Ich wurde auch nicht enttäuscht. Das Cover hat mit dem Inhalt des Buches zu tun, da wir es hier mit Essen bzw. Kochen zu tun haben. Ich finde das Cover wurde wunderbar arrangiert und ich finde die Farben sehr harmonisch und ansprechend.

Inhaltlich geht es um Gina, die eine erfolgreiche Kochshow hat. Sie hat einen Freund/Partner, der gleichzeitig auch eine Art Manager für sie ist. Leider bemerkt sie ers
Alexis
Jan 24, 2014 Alexis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-books-in-2014
Eh. I probably won't be reading anymore of her books. While I appreciated the easiness of this read I disliked every single character in the book. They were all whiny, immature or just vapid. That's a lie. I liked Moonpie, the English Setter. He reminded me of one of my dogs and showed more personality than his owner, Tate Moody. I was also put off by the obnoxious "dialect" (and I use that term loosely) the author used for her characters. "Daggunnit" is not a word many southerners spout out and ...more
Gail Cooke
Jul 15, 2010 Gail Cooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to be a foodie to enjoy this lightly romantic, often laughable look behind the scenes at a television cooking show. Couldn't be more contemporary although, of course, fictionalized by the busy pen of Mary Kay Andrews (Blue Christmas, Hissy Fit, Little Bitty Lies, etc). Fans know that she delivers on-target often tongue-in-cheek looks at her characters and situations - fun listening and reading!

I thoroughly enjoyed Isabel Keating's narration of "Hissy Fit" and wrote, "...is a fun,
May
May 21, 2010 May rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: food tv fans, set in the south fiction fans
The whole set up - A battle of the sexes between two southern cooking show hosts, and the way we're shown how they're SO compatable if only they'll simmer down and see... well it had my hopes exceptionally high that this could be "the one". The next favorite added to my all-time best list.

I made my guess as to what would happen, it did EXACTLY. So predictability is high here, but that wasn't the problem for me. I wanted it to go where it did, that was fine.

The problem is that the book doesn't
Iowa City Public Library
I enjoy Mary Kay Andrews books. They are set in the South, have quirky but lovable characters, and are funny. My brain doesn’t have to work very hard when I’m reading a Mary Kay Andrews book, and some days that’s just what I need. Andrews takes a break from the BeBe/Weezie stories and cooks up a "dish" that will make fans of television cooking shows smile.

Gina Foxton is the host of the regional cooking show Fresh Start. There is a strong regional following for the show and it catches the attent
Kristen
Jan 31, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was highly impressed by this novel, and also by how much I was invested in their lives by the middle of it. By the end, all I could think about was how I didn't want to finish the book because I didn't want it to end.
My only complaint about the whole book is that I didn't feel Gina and Tate were developed enough. Yeah, we know what their physical appearances are, but I wanted to know more about Gina, so that I could put myself a little more in her place and relate to her.

When I first started
Meredith
Cute. Reality cooking show with some romance. Fun and foodie, and who cares if it was realistic. Good for housework-listening.

Abridged audio, read by Isabel Keating, who I thought made a Southern gay black man sound like Rosie Perez, and had other interesting takes on character dialect, but was good in straight narration/main female parts, and she's been a finalist for an Audie so what do I know.
Katherine
This author's works continue to delight me and make me laugh! The story and characters were entertaining and I enjoyed all the humorous parts and plot twists. I would have rated it higher had it not contained so much swearing. It wasn't really needed to tell the story well, so I found it distracting.
Kate
Aug 05, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
rival cooking shows. Not bad
Eva Hechenberger
Becky
Apr 30, 2015 Becky marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Too cheesy for me. I just can never get over characters acting like complete buffoons. The dreaded "misunderstanding" had just happened when I gave up. Boooo
Allison Severson
May 13, 2011 Allison Severson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Love her books. Funny, light, a perfect addition to your beach bag or when you want a really light read, a total chick-flick. Also love that most are culturally situated in the south. Can't wait to go to Savannah someday, as Savannah Breeze and Savannah Blues have me intrigued. This is the story of two small-time TV-chefs, who get the chance to compete for a spot on a bigger network. She always includes southern recipes after the epilogue, though I've never tried them.
Cheri
Jun 23, 2015 Cheri rated it it was ok
This is one of those books that isn't bad, but it just isn't great. It didn't really demand my attention so took far too long for me to read. I like the premise, I even like the hero and heroine. I just didn't quite get the chemistry yet I'm not sure why I didn't get it - all the pieces were there.

There was an undercurrent of this book that I cannot be the only one to have picked up on, one of the main character possibly having an eating disorder. Yet it was mentioned and really kind of glossed
Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson
I always enjoy Mary Kay Andrews's light books. They are the perfect beach read for me and that's where I buy them and have them--at the beach! The plots are all pretty similar with a plucky heroine and who doesn't like a plucky heroine? The differences are in the trials and tribulations our heroine faces and the locale. The locales are one of the best things about these novels as they are loving descriptions of different places in the south. In Deep Dish our plucky heroine has dreams of getting ...more
Jo
Dec 31, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It's a bit different from the usual design and antiquing books she writes. This is a perfect book for any reality TV fans. You will pick up some good cooking tips, too. Once again, I fell in love with Moonpie the dog. He's my favorite! Stranded on a island was a page turner for me. Great book to read and relax.
Carrie
From the very beginning, I knew what would happen and who would end up together, BUT it was so cute and fun to read anyway! This is a perfect book to read when you want to take your mind off of other stuff and just escape...I love these kinds of cutesy books when I'm in the mood for them.
Carmela
Sep 03, 2013 Carmela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christina
May 01, 2008 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, library
Not my favorite book of hers (hard to compete with the Savannah series) but a good read overall. I didn't give it a four because about halfway in it started to ramble and I wondered how an editor could have helped it out a little. Of course, I'd still like to meet the "Tatester" in person!!
Aug 02, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't have anything against this book, but reading it after The Glass Castle and before Atonement, I couldn't really get past the "fan fiction"-ness of it. Natty Lite? "I Love You" out of the blue? It was fun to read about what they cooked, but I think I like a meatier book :)
Chris Inman
I have to admit, I am loving Mary Kay Andrews. This book combined my two personal favorites, cooking and books. With that said, while I adore Ms. Andrews writing, this book had characters within it that, while I managed to connect with them, due to Ms. Andrews wonderful art of writing characters, the connection was not.....great.

But this is why I adore Ms. Andrews so much and find it insanely difficult to put down her books when I start them. She writes with a wealthy ability to create characte
Lilac Wolf
Nov 29, 2014 Lilac Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Lilac Wolf and Stuff Review

I accidentally read this twice. As a home cook, I loved the cooking show angle. Regina has a show on Public TV, Tate has one on a Southern channel. They are pitted against each other by the Cooking Channel...can you say Food Network?

Regina is in a pickle, her show is over and this is her one chance to save her career. So I felt really bad for her. Plus her and Tate have some incredible chemistry - everyone knows it.

I like how strong Regina is. She breaks up with Sco
Debra
Apr 02, 2008 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my least favorite of her books, this one is more a romantic caper set in the world of food tv and reality shows. Light, quick, enjoyable....if it wasn't so big it would be a good beach book.
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • Some Nerve
  • Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales, #3)
  • The Ex-Debutante
  • Ladies of the Lake
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • Summer Blowout
  • Sweet Love
  • The Hot Flash Club Chills Out
Mary Kay Andrews is the pen name of American writer Kathy Hogan Trocheck, based in Atlanta, who has authored a number of best-selling books under the Andrews pen name since 2002.

Trochek graduated from the University of Georgia with a journalism degree in 1976. She worked as a reporter at a number of papers, and spent 11 years as a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution before leaving to wri
More about Mary Kay Andrews...