Start by marking “Face-Off” as Want to Read:

Face-Off (Encounters #15)

These three couples are skating on thin ice!"Ice Time"

Newly retired NHL hockey player Jarrad McBride's life seems permanently sidelined. But maybe sexy schoolteacher Sierra Janssen is just the woman o get him back in play....

"In The Sin Bin"

Samantha McBride was good and over firefighter Greg Olsen. But when an unexpected reunion sends lust crackling between them, it's clea
Published February 15th 2011 by Harlequin (first published February 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Face-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face-Off

It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsSee Jane Score by Rachel GibsonNobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsThis Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Sports Romances
182nd out of 651 books — 1,380 voters
Anything for You by Sarah MayberryBody Check by Elle KennedyCan't Get Enough by Sarah MayberrySlow Hands by Leslie KellySex, Straight Up by Kathleen O'Reilly
Harlequin Blaze
29th out of 228 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 18, 2011 Auntee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of sports romance
I loved this 3 story sports romance centering on the hockey-playing McBride family. It was well written, fast paced, had just enough detail, and some sweet heat in all three stories.

Ice Time features newly retired 35 year-old, ruggedly handsome NHL star Jarrad McBride. Due to an on-ice body check that rattled his brains and left him with no peripheral vision, Jarrad was forced to give up the sport he loved and wasn't yet ready to leave. Recently divorced from a high-profile swimsuit model and fe
Jul 27, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, sport
Three novellas centred around hockey & the McBride siblings. Relationships developed or redeveloped at speed.

First both burned & wary, No. 2 second chance and last a little professional snobbery & a young woman starting to rebel, craving a personal life.

They are heartwarming, sweet, show humour & vulnerability while describing slamming bodys intwined.

Great light read.
Sep 13, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in "Game On" box set.

Two-haiku review:

Vancouver setting
Three siblings, three novellas
Hockey related

Three great short stories
Thought I wouldn't like this one
But I did, a lot
Sep 30, 2011 Kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I was a little disappointed in this one. Glossing over the one time, Woobie Contemporary Author crown endangering use of the word "turgid" (it has multiple meanings, none of them sexy, please stop using it), the stories in this anthology were too short to get to know the characters enough to really care. On top of that the tension is resolved before it has time to build. I would have rather have coughed up money for three separate books and got the whole story.

As always in Nancy Warren books, I
3 short stories involving siblings.

1st story involved a pro hockey player who suffered a career ending injury and is now at loose ends, not sure what he wants to do.

2nd story is the sister to the hockey player. She is a lawyer who had a huge misunderstanding with her high school boyfriend before leaving for college. He is a cop and plays on a local hockey team. She has to decide if she wants to revisit the past.

3rd story is the youngest brother who has been trying to break into the NHL. In order
I always applaud the Harlequin writers who write a great story in 224 pages or less so it's amazing to me that NW can write three great stories in an anthology of the same length!

My favourite story was Jarrad's in Ice Time as he hooks up with the simple but smart and sexy schoolteacher Sierra. In continuity stories you may sometimes need a memory jog to remember who's who but because the McBride sibling stories are all in one anthology, you have no problems keeping track.

All three stories were
Ann  Lorz
Mar 04, 2011 Ann Lorz rated it liked it
Shelves: series
Let see this book has two hockey players and a cop. Do I need to say more? I've alway enjoy Nancy Warrens book and this is no different. The only complaint I have is that each story was to short. I needed more. I would have to say that my favorite of the three stories was Ice Time, Jarrad and Sierra's story. Not to say the others weren't good but you know how it is when you read trilogies there's always one that's your favorite.
Feb 28, 2012 Natalija rated it really liked it
Shelves: category
Despite my obvious love for "Harlequin Romance" line, sometimes I'm in need of more sensuous read. Something where women make bold moves and men are more rough around the edges. "Blaze" has it all and even more.
"Face-Off" was the perfect combination of romance, humor & sensuality. The characters were amazing! You gotta love hot, hunky & larger that life hockey players and their petite women. I highly recommend this wonderful 3-stories-in-one book featuring 3 McBride siblings.
Dawn ♥ romance
Oct 23, 2011 Dawn ♥ romance rated it it was amazing
Three fun hockey stories about siblings and although they were each short and steamy I still felt the romance in all of them. 1) Jarrad newly retired from NHL notices Sierra in the rink barely able to skate. 2) Samantha never really got over her childhood love for Greg. 3) Figure skater Becky is paired with NHL rookie Taylor for charity event.
A trio of novellas about siblings connected with hockey. Two brothers in the NHL and their knowledgeable sister, whose old high school flame is a cop who plays hockey. The conflict is minimal, since there's not a lot of room for conflict resolution, and the relationships heat up quickly since this Is a Blaze, after all. It was an enjoyable read.
Sep 13, 2011 Fedora rated it really liked it
Very cute trio of stories about siblings who skate or who fall in love with skaters. Ms. Warren does a lovely job of packing the stories into so few words, although I did want a little more at the end :)
Mar 14, 2012 Netanella rated it liked it
Shelves: blaze, sports-romance
Three short stories about the McBride siblings - two hockey brothers and a lawyer sister. I particularly loved the first story, about the older brother forced to retire due to injury and falling for the local elementary school when he returns back home to Vancouver.
May 19, 2015 Tressa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Face-Off consisted of three intertwined short stories about three Canadian siblings, which I liked. I also liked how the siblings were all connected to hockey in some manner. I did wish that the stories were long, but the stories were delightful and I had a wonderful time reading them.
Mar 09, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I'm a sucker for hockey players, so this book was just up my alley. Even though the books is three short stories, the characters and plots intertwine, giving an easy flow from story to story.
Apr 02, 2013 Julianna rated it liked it
I liked all of the stories. short but sweet, but i do have to say that the first one is my favorite.
Sep 14, 2011 Dinjolina rated it really liked it
This would have been a full 5 star read if the stories were not so choppy and finished without notice.
Dec 29, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Three novellas following the lives of siblings. The plots of each read more like promising outlines for single titles and should have been developed as such.
Renu r  singh
Mar 27, 2012 Renu r singh rated it it was ok
one and a half stars.... i usually like nancy warren books but this one i just didnt like.... it felt like a chore to finish it off, not a feeling i enjoy when i read novels
Deb rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Kuan-lin rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2012
Cee rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Katie B
Katie B rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Wminbc rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2011
Alina rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2012
Harley rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Loren Schyman
Loren Schyman rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Jeckey rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Ahmed rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Tami Schafer
Tami Schafer rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Christina Bennett
Christina Bennett rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2013
  • Her Man Advantage (Double Overtime, #2)
  • The Rebel
  • Hotshot \ Going for It (Uniformly Hot! #20)
  • Boys Of Summer
  • Time Out
  • Hard and Fast
  • SEALed with a Kiss (Harlequin Blaze, #589)
  • Northern Exposure
  • Night Maneuvers
  • Her Last Line of Defense (Uniformly Hot!, #9)
  • Able-Bodied (Harlequin Blaze #451) (Uniformly Hot!, #2)
  • Body Check
Nancy Warren is the USA Today bestselling author of more than fifty novels.

She’s known for writing funny, sexy and suspenseful tales. She calls Vancouver, Canada home though she tends to wander. She’s an avid hiker, animal lover, wine drinker and chocolate fiend. Favorite moments in her career include being featured on the front page of the New York Times when she launched Harlequin’s NASCAR seri
More about Nancy Warren...

Encounters (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Undressed (Harlequin Blaze, #473)
  • Sliding into Home (Harlequin Blaze, #486)
  • Texas Heat (Harlequin Blaze, #491)
  • Seduction by the Book
  • More Blazing Bedtime Stories
  • Sexy Ms. Takes (Harlequin Blaze, #516)
  • His Little Black Book
  • Just Fooling Around: Darcy's Dark Day/Reg's Rescue\Cam's Catastrophe/Devon's Dilemma (Harlequin Blaze, #531)
  • 3 Seductions and a Wedding (Harlequin Blaze, #543)