Start by marking “Living with the Passive-Aggressive Man: Coping with Hidden Aggression--from the Bedroom to” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
With more than 100,000 copies in print, Living with the Passive-Aggressive Man draws on case histories from clinical psychologist Scott Wetzler’s practice to help you identify the destructive behavior, the root causes and motivations, and solutions.

Do you know one of these men?

The catch-me-if-you-can lover...

Phil’s romantic and passionate one minute, distant and cold the n
Published January 18th 2011 by Touchstone (first published September 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Living with the Passive-Aggressive Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living with the Passive-Aggressive Man

Lori
Feb 11, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having the same arguements over and over? Feeling a little crazy because you think the arguement is over and a compromise has been reached yet your honey seems distant, hostile, unloving? When you ask them what's wrong they say "nothing" yet they are treating you in a non caring way? Well, welcome to living with a passive aggressive male or female for that matter. Just when you thought you'd solved your problems the passive aggressive partner, colleague, child etc.. begins their campaign of cove ...more
Sabrina  Brawley
Mar 08, 2015 Sabrina Brawley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Living with the Passive Aggressive Man by Scott Wetzler was written in 1993, but resources for dealing with passive aggression are few and far between. The information contained within is as relevant today as it was more than twenty years ago. For someone seeking out this kind of self-help book, it's more than adequate.

Wetzler notes a rise in passive aggressive behavior among men coinciding with the emergence of gender equality and more women entering the workplace. According to the author, the
Cara
Mar 04, 2014 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life
Happened across this by chance when I was looking for a book about how to get more clients. I didn't think I had a problem with this, but the symptoms in the blurb sure seemed to fit, so I figured I'd get it and learn more.

So far, eh. I still don't know what to think, and it's a depressing read. I hope I'll learn something about healthier ways of interacting with this type of behavior so as to be more immune to its effects.

Read through to the end. Although some of the symptoms are picture-perf
Eredluin
Oct 01, 2010 Eredluin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It's not my fault. It really is him, and not that I'm hideous, or useless or stupid. It's him, it really is. I wept as I read the book, then I got mad. How dare he!!!!
mossum
Sep 22, 2009 mossum rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highlighted the hell out of this book. Evidently I'm still working through some of the XHusband stuff. Who knew?
Laurel
Jan 21, 2012 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to stop underlining in this book because I was marking the whole book! Very eye-opening!!
K
First of all, what a great title! I mean, what woman in this world has not been made crazy at some point or another by some passive-aggressive guy in her life? If only it were as simple to deal with the problem as it was to read this book.

The way I see it, most men have their passive aggressive moments; I'm sure most women do as well. It's always nicer if you can get your needs met and avoid a direct conflict at the same time, isn't it? But in my view, characteristically passive aggressive men t
Stephanie
Well a few more things make sense for sure. Coming from Utah sometimes I felt like a fish trying to identify water when diagnosing PA behavior. I see my own and other's much more clearly now.
Martinp
Aug 16, 2015 Martinp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opens your eyes.
Denise
Aug 17, 2010 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out really very interesting and then Wetzler repeats himself over and over again. The passive aggressive man is angry, .....okay, got it the first five times, and the second, and the passive aggressive man is insecure, .....got it the first five times too. The book could probably have been done in 75-100 pages max. If you think your man is passive aggressive then get this book, read the first 40-50 pages and skim the rest of it.
Susannah
Sep 28, 2013 Susannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book basically sums up my last relationship. Although he did not do everything described, there was plenty in there that fit the bill.
It is the only book I have found on the subject as well. It was great to read something that understood my position, and also that I was not crazy, or paranoid, to feel the way that I ended up feeling a lot of the time. It has helped me to put a lot of my past relationship into perspective.
Olivia
Jun 06, 2012 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an eye opening look at living with a Passive Aggressive man and how they tick. I would recommend it to anyone who is in that situation, just for the sheer fact of not feeling like you are going crazy anymore. It clarifies all the mind games and why they do them but ultimately whether they change or not, is up to them.

Wish I had read this soooooo long ago.
tareema redd
Jun 23, 2014 tareema redd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

this book gives you a good insight on dealing with passive aggressive men. it touches almost everything you can think of in dealing with this kind of person. this book also puts into perspective whether you should make a decision to stay and work things out or cut your losses.
Tammy Wichman
There really was not any practical advice for living with the passive agressive man. It was informative, but bleak. I suppose the bottom line is that the person who is passive aggressive needs to 1. recognize and 2. desire to change. . . the book made me very sad.

Therese
Apr 21, 2008 Therese rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Tough book to read. Especially as you recognize yourself or your mate throughout. But also, clearly the author doesn't like passive-aggressive people and gives a bleak vision of living with a P-A. (Not that it's a great coping mechanism, but still. Kinda harsh there.)
Lynn
Feb 20, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Men who are not willing to commit, who have bad relationships with their mothers, who conveniently forget birthdays, or don't make a big deal of them, who are always the victim.... This is the book to read. EYE OPENER!
Chantel
Apr 23, 2013 Chantel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-own
Quite helpful. My struggling passive aggressive man read about 10 pages and told me he didn't want me to read it anymore because it was like I was reading a book all about him and how his mind worked.
Ken Householder
Aug 17, 2007 Ken Householder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: passive-aggressives.
I learned I have some passive-aggressive tendencies...as does my ex. There are also some ways of dealing with those habits and trying to break the cycles learned from our parental units.
Mdolfan
Dec 06, 2012 Mdolfan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Excellent read if you have a passive aggressive in your life. Enlightening. And great suggestions for dealing with that person!
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Opened my eyes after my last marriage fell apart. Very powerful book that will help if you are in relationship with a PA man.
Anita
Jan 11, 2012 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every woman should read this. I've read it multiple times but they keep finding me. Lol
Sensibly Sassy
2nd book of 2011

(This is a book for work but I am counting it anyway)
Jo Fay
Jo Fay marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Linda Fryling
Linda Fryling rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Alice Galeotti
Alice Galeotti rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Ilma Solak
Ilma Solak marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
  • Foolproofing Your Life: Wisdom for Untangling Your Most Difficult Relationships
  • Narcissistic Lovers: How to Cope, Recover and Move On
  • Freeing Yourself from the Narcissist in Your Life
  • Web of Lies - My Life with a Narcissist
  • The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps
  • The Language of Love and Respect: Cracking the Communication Code with Your Mate
  • Overcoming Passive-Aggression: How to Stop Hidden Anger from Spoiling Your Relationships, Career and Happiness
  • In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life
  • Becoming a Woman of Influence: Making a Lasting Impact on Others (Thrive! Study Series)
  • The Normal One: Life with a Difficult or Damaged Sibling
  • Daring to Trust: Opening Ourselves to Real Love and Intimacy
  • Ready or Not, Here We Come!: The Real Experts' Guide to the First Year with Twins
  • Be Angry But Don't Blow It: Maintaining Your Passion Without Losing Your Cool
  • The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One-Way Relationship in Work, Love, and Family
  • Relating: An Astrological Guide to Living with Others on a Small Planet
  • Personality Plus for Couples: Understanding Yourself and the One You Love
  • How to Act Right When Your Spouse Acts Wrong (Indispensable Guides for Godly Living)